Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Playing as Zelda would also give an excuse for the obligatory power reset - we just had to go through a billion shrines as Link to get up to full strength, but Zelda's been stuck in stasis sitting on Ganon for a century

of course, there was endless speculation for Link being Zelda/a girl when BotW1 was in development, and that went nowhere, but hey, we can hope

sidenote: I really hope that, given they've got 85% of the assets or so already made, the story is much more fleshed out than "wander around the world collecting memories." I was happy with BotW, but man the trailers made it seem like a much more active game than it was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Freaking Crumbum posted:

that's a good point i completely didn't notice until you just said that. in botw the triforce doesn't exist at all, and didn't even notice. why bring it back now when it's proved non-essential to making a fun game
I dunno, I still prefer the older Din/Nayru/Farore goddesses to the trend of having the goddess Hylia that started in Skyward Sword, but that's largely because I found a lot of Skyward Sword to be dumb.

Even if the Triforce™ itself isn't present, the 3 Dragons indicate that they're still around, even if people don't seem to worship them anymore.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

link maybe got too used to walking around hyrule all on his lonesome

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Cadence of Hyrule is out today and it's real good y'all. It feels like a legit Zelda game because you got the big overworld and you traverse around and find your way to get into the dungeons which are semi-randomized. The music is fantastic too. It's all pretty much instantly recognizable classic Zelda tunes but with that good funky Necrodancer style.
define semi-randomized

because I liked Crypt of the Necrodancer in theory, but I hated the fact that I could spend several hours trying to work through a dungeon and make zero progress because of the roguelike stuff. combine that with being kinda poo poo at the combat, I'm glad I only spent two dollars on the thing.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Bulgakov posted:

beedle adventure racing

put beedle in mariokart :colbert:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

MokBa posted:

plus she got that booty
obligatory

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

Dude, she's 17, WTF!
that's literally an ingame screenshot that practically became a meme but go off I guess

also, I don't recall the game actually saying her age anywhere?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

NofrikinfuN posted:

Hinox: Am I a joke to you?
yes

Zoran posted:

She does the rites at the Spring of Wisdom on her 17th birthday. Ganon returns after she descends the mountain and meets the Champions at the Lanayru Gate
huh, the more you know.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Picked this up again after beating it at launch, had the season pass so I get to see all the stuff that released for it for the first time on my new save. Gotta say, not a fan of how you can't upgrade the DLC outfits. Especially since you gotta go out of your way to get them and they have some cool set bonuses. Pretty lame since the Amiibo exclusive content (argh) is fully upgradable.
yeah, the fact you can't upgrade the armor sucks. Especially considering how you upgrade it. Do the Great Faeries just think the Ganon set looks tacky or something? Does it offend their fashion choices??

also I'm still mad the gerudo clothing is permanently at 1 defense. It's not even a handwavey excuse of materials being a factor, considering the champion's tunic is one of the best pieces of armor.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Fortis posted:

Man, I feel like some people played a different version of Skyward Sword than I did.

Demise's curse isn't inflicted on Ganondorf, his curse IS Ganondorf:

Plus Ganondorf is always the same dude who comes back, he is just that loving determined and pissed, so I dunno about the idea that he was the ancient hero. He'd had to have done a complete 180 on his long standing policies of "gently caress you" and "Hyrule's mine", because he's not reincarnated like Link or Zelda are.

Also Ganon being an extremely determined angry rear end in a top hat is part of what makes him so cool. :colbert:
You know, the fact that Ganondorf is always the same Ganondorf, too fuckin' stubborn to lie down and die is what made me hate Demise. He makes it sound like Ganondorf is him reincarnating, but every time Ganon shows up, he's still the same dude.

Also, turning "somewhat justified and sympathetic" Windwaker Ganon into an explicit "Capital E Evil, born from the unending hatred of a dark god" robs him of a lot of his character.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

Zelda has had lore since 1991.
Zelda has never bothered to actually attempt to connect the lore until Skyward Sword/fans pressuring them to put out an official timeline

see: Windwaker "Ruto evolved from Zora with the help of a magical dragon" vs BotW "Ruto are just bird furries that happened, the Ruto are still over there, fine" or why the Deku (but not the Kokiri/Koroks) are just fuckin' gone now.

the actual lore is "yeah that'd be cool to put in the game"

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 13, 2019

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

He was still a selfish monster whose justification was simply that he liked the poo poo other people had and so decided to steal it, after which he corrupted everything declared himself Demon King, and ruled as a cruel tyrant.

The reason the King and Ganon were meeting in Ocarina was to bring the Gerudo into the fold, which would improve their lot in life, but Ganon was planning on just uspuring the King rather than use the offered help.
I said sympathetic, not good. The gerudo desert was a wasteland, hyrule was prosperous, and the less nice term for "bringing gerudo into the fold" is "having the gerudo be absorbed into hyrule's empire."
And, regardless of his actions, look at what Hyrule's goddesses did in retaliation - there aren't any mountains to take refuge on in the middle of the desert. The gerudo got wiped off the map, it's a wonder he's not mad with grief.

Regy Rusty posted:

Windwaker Ganondorf has sympathetic qualities. That's not the same as being a sympathetic character overall. He's still cruel and doesn't care what evil things he has to get what he wants, but he is unique in that he actually explains his reasons and you can understand them and feel a bit sorry for him.

And then stab him in the head and turn in to stone, because gently caress him he still deserves it.
"Sympathetic qualities" is a better way to put it, yeah.

s.i.r.e. posted:

That's only the very end where everything he just worked towards is taken from him and he loses his mind. Prior to that he's not the typical Ganondorf that just wants to enslave the gently caress out of the world and rule over it. Isn't his whole mission just to bring Hyrule back from being under the waves?
Yeah - up until that point, he's generally more interested in monologuing than murder. But then Daphnes says "lmao gently caress off, I can teleport," and he chooses Suicide By Sword-Wielding-Child

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Zore posted:

He also tries to kill Link when you save Tetra and you only survive because of deus ex dragon swooping in.
I just rewatched that scene to double check - he hits Link with his fist, not the sword, the sword is only used to threaten Link.

Again, still a bad guy, but slightly less murdery than you give him credit for.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Meallan posted:

drat. That makes me excited for Wind Waker. I've always wanted to play it due to the art style.

Do you guys think it could come to switch?
They made an HD port of it on the Wii U a couple years back, (which, personally, I think looks a bit worse due to the excess bloom), but they've been stubbornly refusing to put it or Twilight Princess HD on the switch, presumably due to having their feelings hurt by no one buying a wii u. (or, more likely, because they want BotW to be THE zelda game people think of when they see the switch)

Due to a large number of people in the fandom wanting it and presumably willing to fork over another forty or so dollars for it, it's safe to assume that nintendo will be as nintendo as possible and never do that

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Runcible Cat posted:

You can get outfits from previous games from the amiibos; OoT version, Wind Waker version etc.
you know, I really hate that those items (and wolf link) are permanently locked behind amiibos, considering all the loving scalpers :argh:

e: actually, speaking of amiibos and HD ports
there's been "rumors" about HD Twilight Princess & Wind Waker on switch literally since the switch was released, but the most recent "leak" might have some truth to it - I've been trying to get a Wolf Link amiibo at a non-bullshit price for a while now, with no luck because they were pretty much only sold with TPHD. But I was just able to buy one from Best Buy? So there might actually be some truth to the rumors this time, if they're re-releasing new copies of it.

of course, it's equally likely that they found one under a warehouse shelf and just stuck it on the website, but hey, a girl can dream

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jun 14, 2019

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

hey what the gently caress

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

lezard_valeth posted:

I'm tempted to restart the game and turn the UI off.
do it on master mode, coward :colbert:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

lezard_valeth posted:

Ah but I'm so proud of my Master Mode file :(

Not so much of my Normal Mode file. That last death over there on the map was while doing the Ballad of the Champion quest. I was running away from a Bokoblin and didn't see I was running into a spiky barricade
you don't have to reset anything if you make a second profile on the switch :ssh:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

the weird thing about the master sword trial is that the first trial is a pain in the rear end (especially the last level with enemies that'll one shot you) but the middle and ending trials are super easy. feels like it should be the other way around?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

honestly my favorite part of the final trials is that they put in a bunch of normal sized Guardians, not the little ones that wander around the shrines.

Y'know, the enemies who are big and scary and probably chased you down and killed you at the beginning of the game... but became loot piñatas the minute you learned the appropriate time to shield parry

e: except on master mode, where the laser timing is much more variable because gently caress you

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Zoran posted:

Genuinely one of the best Master Mode changes
it's really good, because master mode is ultimately supposed to punch you in the dick, but I can't help but go "oh gently caress you" every time it happens

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

QuietLion posted:

I never knew Master Mode could change the timing of a Guardian’s laser, I always thought it was me imagining it and being terrible. :negative:

On the bright side, I had to get good enough to parry them 100% of the time that I can now identify parry frames on almost any other enemy with no problem. And now I can parry worth a drat in Dark Souls!

You can see it here. Occasionally, it adds an in-between animation to the charging and firing steps - an animation short enough that, if you try to parry at the normal time, you will be wide open and eat poo poo* - and master mode doesn't give you the 1/4 heart grace period you usually get if you're hit by an extra strong attack.

*okay, there's like, a single-frame chance to re-parry if you gently caress up, but that's only if your first parry was a couple frames early.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Angry Diplomat posted:

That's not true at all, if the customization extends as far as "the physics of the game world." I'd pay for Skate Or Die: Hyrule Edition with moon gravity, super low friction, and no durability loss from shield surfing.
TBH shield durability loss isn't a big deal when you get the hylian shield. It's got 800 durability - the 2nd highest (without amiibo) has 60.

I got it after my first or second divine beast, and it survived until I'd gotten 100/120 shrines and all the dungeons done with copious shield surfing. And buy then, paying 3,000 for a replacement isn't a big deal.

Having customizable physics would be friggin' great though

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

andipossess posted:

Grab the Ancient Shield for surfing. It has the least amount of friction when surfing on must surfaces and can even be pretty good at letting you surf uphill if you have enough momentum. Not as much overall durability as the Hylian Shield, but I think it takes less overall shield damage while surfing on optimal surfaces. Not that I have a source to back that up, though....

Also, shield surfing on snow, sand, and (when it's raining) grass will either not take up durability at all or will reduce it to minimal amounts. Shield surfing on grass in the rain over Hyrule Field is great.

Now I want DLC that gives link a skateboard shield that doesn't work as a shield, but lets you surf infinitely

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

BotW2: Link gets really into fashion, Zelda decides 100 years squatting on a blob of condensed evil sucked rear end so she becomes the most chaotic gremlin child to ever exist. Everyone's gonna eat her frogs. For Science.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

hey what the gently caress

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

jisforjosh posted:

Apparently the Divine Beasts' themes have an SOS in Morse code hidden in them

:stare:
people have said that for ages, but I've strained my ears trying to hear it and I've never been able to

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

lezard_valeth posted:

https://youtu.be/paosvuLRgFc
YOU COULD REFLECT THE LANCE!?!?!?!
:dogcited:
oh, so *that's* where they put the obligatory phantom ganon tennis match, in the vah medoh fight
I need to replay this focusing more on parrying tbh

Freaking Crumbum posted:

if you do the water shrine first and go there more-or-less right out the gate, that lynel is the hardest boss in the game. when you're fresh to the game, fighting that thing with three hearts and a smattering of shitball weapons is the hardest thing you'll ever have to do, so if you've cleared that it's all downhill from there.

no, it did not occur to me that i could just scavenge some arrows from the arena and run off without beating the lynel first, why do you ask
The lynel on top of the mountain is bullshit. If not for the weapon durability system, I'd be able to kill him with copious backflipping, but I would keep running out of decent weapons and die. And then, if he sees you from a distance, he does attacks with the lightning arrows that I'm pretty sure no other lynel has, which have insane tracking. The only way to do it early is to put on the full shiekah set and grab the arrows while praying

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Freaking Crumbum posted:

have you never played any of the other action RPG games that have becomes massively popular (a la souls games)?
dark souls, famously known for its jump button

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm watching a Skyward Sword LP right now, and, ya know, I understand the reason for BotW having statues of/focus on Goddess Hylia, rather than the Goddesses of the Triforce, is because Skyward Sword was the previous game, and they wanted to make their new lore slightly relevant.

However, given Skyward Sword was supposedly the first game in the timeline, and BotW apparently* takes place at least 10,000 years AFTER whichever one is the latest, this makes zero sense in-universe. Which just leads me to wonder why the gently caress they published an official timeline in the first place.

*may or may not actually be 10,000 years, it's a legend and therefore probably exaggerated, but still

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Steve2911 posted:

I wonder what percentage of players actually find that cabin.
I found it, but mostly ignored it because, with the lack of equipment upgrades & pieces of heart, there's literally no reason to do any sidequest

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Shadowlyger posted:

Some of those sidequests get you clothes, you know.
The only one I can think of off the top of my head that does so is the "Lightning Striking the Stable" one, which is resolved in 30 seconds. That barely counts. I meant more like, the minigames to beat a specific score. Almost all of them give you a reward of like, 50 rupees, but charge you 10+ each time. Pointless.

Bulgakov posted:

building that village is heart warming
...okay, there's one sidequest worth doing. Both because it's cute, and because it gives you the best shops in the game.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Silver Falcon posted:

... Because shield surfing is fun and that minigame gives you a nice long course to shield surf on.

Christ, Skinner boxes were a mistake.
1) gently caress you with the "skinner boxes" comment, my complaints come from the fact that minigames in every other zelda game have had some kind of gameplay benefit.

2) It's free to just surf down the loving hill if I want, if I'm paying money to try and beat a certain time limit or whatever, I expect at least a half-decent reward for it. Not wasting the player's time is Game Design 101.

You know what's a fun shield surfing minigame? The one in the desert, leashed to a sandseal. You know, the one that also unlocks a shrine. It's fun, and it has a point, what a novel loving concept.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Silver Falcon posted:

What I took umbrage was your take that there is "literally no reason" to do something that doesn't award a piece of heart or whatever. Like, unless you get your shiny trinket that satisfies your lizard hindbrain, nothing is worth it.

Ya know that cliché about it being about the journey? That. Sometimes a thing can be fun for its own sake. Christ.

okay, lemme put this in simpler words for you. You can surf down the mountain all you want. It's there, and if that's your bag, you can go for it, all on your own drat volition.
My issue with the minigame, is that there's a NPC squatting on the top of the mountain, who says "hey, pay me money and race down the mountain, beat my record." It's the same part of the game you can already do for free, but there's an implicit cost and challenge to it. The cost should be worthwhile. It's not. There's nothing to be gained from this NPC that you can't already do or don't already have.

In, say, Majora's Mask, you can go swimming as Mikau, exploring the ocean. That poo poo's fun and enjoyable, and great for relaxing and killing time. But! If you go talk to the Beavers. and beat their record, you unlock an empty bottle. The same gameplay, in a new area, with a reward that justifies the upfront cost that the NPC is shaking you down for. It's great.

This has none of that. Everything you're paying rupees for, you can already do. There's zero incentive.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

YggiDee posted:

The only Zelda Timeline worth considering was the one that features Zelda Monopoly.
:yeah:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Spellman posted:

I do like this probably-skeleton Ganon, hope there are more cool boss designs. The Calamity as a concept for Ganon is great, just this shadowy blob of malice sweeping the land. But it doesn't feel like you're stabbing the real Blue Pig in the head, and his up-close designs are actually awful

Have been thinking about this critique of Skyward Sword & Breath of the Wild, it's pretty good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_Q2wREAwRM

I think BotW is epic but he makes pretty good observations about what could be improved, and it's just an overall great video with the Skyward Sword comparisons
I dunno, I got bored with the video after a couple minutes because he kept talking up the "exploration potential" and whatnot of the overworld in the N64 zeldas, aka "here's a square box that connects to the other areas off in the corners."
I haven't played Skyward Sword myself, but I've been watching a 100% LP of it, and, honestly, the overworld and dungeon designs made me sad that I missed it because of the motion controls. (whether or not the motion controls worked well, I didn't have Wii motion plus) The overworld being similar to a dungeon in how it plays is great IMO, because the dungeons are generally the best part of the zelda games.

Also, the "repeating areas" complaint feels a little hollow - when you revisit, you go to a different part of that slice of the overworld - the water area is connected to faron, but it isn't faron.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

MM3D
-has much more vibrant colors, completely at odds with the atmosphere
-hosed over zora swimming, making the water dungeon go from fun to tedious
-stapled eyeballs to the back of every boss, making them play like much more traditional zelda bosses, and therefore, less fun.
-stone mask made effectively worthless

if it was just the visual change, I wouldn't mind, but the other changes make it feel worse to play. Here's to hoping my wii never dies, seeing as the wii version is the definitive release and it was digital download only

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

IMO, the visual changes did the Happy Mask Salesman dirty
N64 version looks vaguely menacing in his neutral pose, 3DS version looks flat in his "literally strangling link" pose

I would've used two gifs of the same scene, but google is being unhelpful at providing two gifs of the same scene in similar quality
sure, there are some areas where the more saturated visuals look better, but the different lighting makes areas that should be ominous... not.

NofrikinfuN posted:

This is the only version I've played. It's not too terrible if you make sure to save at absolutely every opportunity, but losing progress to a crash definitely sucks. It seemed like it played fine aside from those crashes and some weird audio issues.
you do remember that in Majora's Mask, saving was either "quicksave at an owl statue and stop playing" or "save by going back to day one," right? if it crashed, it crashed, and you're poo poo outta luck. That's why the crashes were such a problem on the GCN version

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Alxprit posted:

If you wanted to complain about something regarding that temple complain about the Ice Arrows completely losing their freedom.
I forgot about that, that made me so mad!!!

Amppelix posted:

Ok, ok, the rest of this is obviously subjective and in being pretty hyperbolic, but what the gently caress is this opinion??? How did they make the dungeon worse by giving you the option of not hitting your head on a wall every time you want to start swimming

It's not like you even need the super turbo speeds inside the temple

Also the great bay temple was always tedious
lack of turbo speed means you cannot dolphin jump, which is just terrible, and it means the long hallways connecting rooms are much more noticeable

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Amppelix posted:

But... You can. You just press the r button.
not when you're out of magic because moving quickly eats through it crazy & the stupid bonefish won't drop mana pots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Bogart posted:

Did y'all know that Minish were cut from BOTW? Were you hiding it from me? My little buddies....
I did not know that, no

also, I thought you meant the miniblins, aka, the cutest zelda enemies

maybe the minish ARE in the game, but they're just very small and you can't see them
they live in hestu's branches or something