Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

track day bro! posted:

Also why is there a lady who wants to gently caress a ball, what is wrong with you. Then you want to gently caress a guardian? This thread title is on point.

Holy poo poo, I just remembered that I found this lady way back at the start of my game, when I was an idiot weakling who didn't know anything about anything, and I don't think I ever went back there to figure out how to get the ball away from her and open up the shrine. Thanks, this inches me one step closer to total shrine completion!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Want to know another fun thing? You can use magnesis on the tops of the windmills in the canyon. There's no point to it as far as I can tell; you can't pull them out or turn them around or anything, but you can totally just climb up there and tug at them as much as you want.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Zore posted:

Ever since the Master Sword became a big thing in OoT you've never been able to upgrade it really. Visually at least, I know WW has you unlock its power or whatever and Skyward Sword has the super Skyward Strike thing.

And you do get to do the spiritual/mechanical upgrade in the trials of the Master Sword dlc. :shrug:

The Master Sword changes its appearance as you upgrade it in both of those games, though. It's not as dramatic as a color change, but it is there. Iirc in Skyward Sword it even gets an increased hitbox.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

If I could change one thing about the cooking system, I would make separate buff slots for food and elixirs. Elixirs feel completely superfluous as is. Food ingredients are usually more plentiful compared to elixir ingredients with equivalent effects, don't have the hassle of trying to sneak up on bugs and lizards, and also restore hearts. There's basically no reason to bother with elixirs except for fireproof, which I don't think you can get from food at all. Being able to use elixirs to get a second active buff would give them a purpose.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Most of the Gerudo you meet out in the world kinda just think Link's a scrawny weakling, and half of Gerudo Town itself is already in healthy, committed long distance relationships. The other half of Gerudo Town is pretty horny for crossdressing Link, though, I'll admit.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

When I encountered the plateau lynel, I hopped down onto the cliffside and inched past its territory completely out of sight.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Hot take: elemental weapons are overrated anyway. Elemental arrows are easier to come by, have more versatile combat potential, and don't take up inventory slots. The only thing weapons do better is adjusting the ambient temperature to let you get away with less weather protection from your armor.

E: :argh:

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Real talk though, the way Wind Waker handles its stealth section is cool as hell and blows basically all other stealth sections in non-stealth games out of the water.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Iirc, you can also glean from incidental dialogue that that particular zora is supposed to be a late bloomer, and the rest of her peer group at least look like adolescents.

Still creepy tho

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

The real best way to start the game is to ignore Kakariko and Hateno, explore the bottom of the map instead and eventually try to approach the desert from the east at night, walk straight into the Vah Naboris Happy Fun Time Lightning Murder Zone like half a dozen times trying to reach the nearest tower, and end up stranded on a rock mesa come morning with no heat protection and a Molduga looming below you, all without coming across any signs of civilization there except for that one Gerudo passed out over a shrine entrance.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Runcible Cat posted:

Then multishot bow with bomb arrows and/or spin-to-win with your biggest two-hander.

I had actually never considered feeding them standard bombs until I saw someone do it in a video. My go to strategy was always to shoot a normal arrow into the ground to lure the molduga out, then shoot it down with a bomb arrow while it was airborne.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Isn't it the Goddess Statue? They all telepathize at him, after all.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

The best use of Urbosa's Fury is to brutally own entire Keese swarms.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

That does sound pretty fun, I've just never thought of doing it because it would require not trolling them with constant bombs thrown through the windows instead.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

If teleporting your horse is allowed can you really call it a No Fast Travel run? :thunk:

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

At that point you might as well just cut out the middleman and give us playable Sidon.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I know going into bullet time makes the physics go all wonky, but is there something about that bookcase specifically that makes it even more effective?

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The biggest WTF for me is in all my hundreds of hours I have never heard of a sea breeze boomerang.

:psypop:

It's a drop from the Toon Link amiibo.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

The gist is that the shield's guard stat gets compared to an enemy's attack power to determine the enemy's reaction to parries and blocks, as well as the amount of durability damage the attack does to the shield.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Ulio posted:

Eh ya I was thinking that but aren't a lot of the upgrades + hearts side stuff even inside dungeons, maybe I missed them? Because I was watching someone do the 3rd palace in the dark world and they had way more hearts + different item to what I had. They had like two bars of hearts while I am still at 1.

I don't want to use a guide but I guess I will have to for upgrades to see if I missed them.

Also I saw some videos where people were *killing* those bouncy red snowflake thingies that you can't attack with your sword, what item are they using?

I think you're talking about antifairies? If so, they're using the magic powder, which is an optional item. To get it, go to the lost woods and look for a mushroom. Then give the mushroom to the witch who runs the potion shop. Leave the screen and come back, then go into the shop to get the powder.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Runcible Cat posted:

Sure, but you have to pay for them.

He also can't help you if you miss the Blights, and i'm guessing Kohga is probably the same way.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

This is at least partially nostalgia talking, but I think I'd have to go with Forsaken Fortress as my favorite dungeon, chiefly on account of how much work it puts in as a setpiece throughout the game.

The initial stealth run is... well, it's not amazing, but it's by far the most fun stealth has been in the series pre-BOTW, and it does a good job of showcasing the "steal your enemies' weapons" mechanic (look, BOTW DNA!). And conceptually it makes perfect sense within the context of the narrative. You're an idiot child who literally just left home and doesn't know poo poo about poo poo, so of course your only option is to sneak your way past the big scary guards because you managed to lose track of your sword.

And then all of that sets you up to feel like a huge badass when you come back later in the game more experienced, better equipped, and ready to kick in the door and clear the place out properly. Admittedly the skull hammer is kind of boring as an item, though squashing miniblins with it is pretty fun. And constantly switching between the interior and exterior maps makes navigating the place kind of a chore. Phantom Ganon is a fun callback though.

But then you make it to the boss room, and you get the payoff to Link's primary motivation up to that point, complete with beating up the rear end in a top hat bird that started this whole mess. And then you go up to confront Ganondorf, and everything that happens after you open that door all the way until Valoo shows up to save your butt and burn the place to the ground is just an incredibly iconic moment.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Bongo Bill posted:

I went and looked it up, and yeah, he doesn't have a name. Apparently each one of those is actually a different fishman, and they're all just identical fishmen.

Iirc there's actually one map square where the resident fishman's dialogue indicates that he's the same individual as one that you've already met, presumably the Dragon Roost fishman since he's the only one you're guaranteed to have encountered.

E: Or maybe I'm thinking of that lategame cutscene where the King of Red Lions is talking to a fishman about Forsaken Fortress being abandoned.

Cattail Prophet fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Aug 26, 2020

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Every single voiced line in Wind Waker is pure gold and Beedle has at least two, so.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Amppelix posted:

i can't really think of many situations in the game though where you would locate a shrine close enough that it will register on your map, but can't get to it to activate it

The main one that comes to mind is the shrine in the desert with the passed out gerudo blocking the activation panel.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

You joke, but I remember when the remake first came out, there were a bunch of people with an extreme case of nostalgia goggles who were genuinely convinced that the port job was lazy because the graphics looked exactly the same as the original.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

This is just further evidence that fish husbando is the only correct choice.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I wonder if we'll get to see tiny Sidon? :3:

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Yo, what if the final story mission is the siege of Akkala Citadel, and you're stuck playing as some rando soldier delaying the inevitable because everyone else is already loving dead or in stasis.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

drat, I never noticed before that Commander is holding both a shot and his beer at the same time.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I hope you took the sword and hung it up in your house as a trophy.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Somehow believing in the possibility that there are literally zero misogynists consuming a given product is the real fantasy tbh.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Vikar Jerome posted:

incorrect, this is the best zelda and she has an actual personality. its her, tetra and botw zelda. deal with it.

This is so obviously true that it took me until just now to even realize that the post you quoted says worst and not best.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Although iirc there was concept art for her from the Wii U version with basically the same design.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Fractional rupees don't exist, and furthermore,

E: Wait, I actually have a furthermore! WW Link never uses the Hylian shield. :colbert:

Cattail Prophet fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Sep 16, 2020

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Loucks posted:

I never played any of those games, but my BOTW2 fantasy which will absolutely not happen is support for local multiplayer in some sense so my kid and I can buy two copies of the game and then run around a huge open world together loving up monsters.

Actually, are there any switch games like that that even bear a resemblance to BOTW? I know they won’t do it for 2 because it doesn’t really fit thematically.

They're not really anything like BOTW in particular, but some of the Lego games might kind of fit the bill for what you're looking for? They've always had local co-op as an integral feature, and most of the more recent ones are at least semi open world.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Killing the fish before you catch them? How crass. Just put on the Sheikah set, walk/swim right up to the fish, and grab them.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

RickRogers posted:

It just makes sense. He also has no problems wearing dresses to explore his sexuality and he employs openly gay contractors to renovate his house.

Zelda, upon being rebuffed, will focus on her career and the two will become good friends who occasionally meet up for coffee and complain about their love lives.

Bold of you to assume Zelda is not also gay.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Cartoon Man posted:

I like how the game guilt trips you if you try to call Epona something else after summoning him using the amiibo.

Yeah, well I'm gonna guilt trip you right now for misgendering her!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Vikar Jerome posted:

lol who owns a switch, is buying AoC and doesnt have a botw save on it.

I imagine this is almost entirely a subset of "people who own a Wii U."