Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Holy poo poo, do these ever show up on eBay or is against policy? Any legit way to play this? Also does that part in the beginning mean that's literally W you play as?

Bootlegs show up on eBay all the time, the rare ones like this are very expensive while the cheap popular ones (pokemon rom hacks mostly) can be very cheap (fives of dollars). The only bootlegs I know that are officially banned on eBay are Pokemon ones because there was some drama a few years back with poorly flashed roms that could basically brick your system along with a lot of sketchy Pokemon romhacks with tons of swearing being bought by innocent parents. They still show up on eBay however (you can basically assume any GBA copy of Pokemon on eBay is a fake) and the really fun ones (Naranja, Chaos Black, etc) pop up on Aliexpress and similar sites with frequency.

I had a friend who used to collect Pokemon hacks and bootlegs, some of them are really quite odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Nettles Coterie posted:

My siblings and I were pretty into Pokemon. We played the TCG regularly, saw the first movie in theaters and had the Mew cards to prove it, etc. One day, my dad took us to the local record store, and I found the perfect CD to accompany my well-worn copy of the Pokemon: the First Movie Soundtrack:

My young mind recognized that something was fishy with the cover art, but anything involving Pokemon was good in my book, so I gleefully bought it and took it home. Most of the tracks are generic lovely love songs but I urge you to listen to the samples, because there are some real gems in there, such as:

#2, Nanalla Nulla, some weird racist poo poo? What even is happening with this song?

#7, Pokemon, a funk song and the first one on the album to actually be explicitly about Pokemon at all. 7 tracks in.

#10, Pikachu, a song all about how you should beware Pokemon because they use magic and are totally out to get you. Watch out.

#12, So Many, Poooookemooooooonn, so maaaaanyyy times, I'm in looooove with yooouu, my special frie~eeend~!

I listened to this CD a shameful number of times (though not nearly as much as the real soundtrack) and I think about it disturbingly often, but this is the first time I've actually tried to find it online and I'm so glad Amazon delivered.

It could be worse, you could have been into YuGiOh: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-YpK6j0z7c
This is an official thing, they released an entire album length CD based on YuGiOh. And because I know you're thinking it, yes, there is a rap song.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Aesop Poprock posted:

Is that poo poo why youtube is banning people from making money from their viewcounts?

No that has to do with the fact that YT is a google service and being a google service that is several years old it now is suffering from Google's love of rolling out major updates without telling anyone or doing any kind of beta testing whatsoever because "we're google and what other choice do they have". They have, without really telling anyone this, clearly rolled out a completely new set of content moderation bots in the past few months that are deciding that the best way to handle content is to mass flag anything that could possibly be objectionable or non-advertiser friendly and then force people to deal with it on a case by case basis and hope that the rear end in a top hat or weird fetish/nazi/white supremacist/bully channels don't bother with the appeals process and just quit altogether. Basically they are using the content monitoring system to trial-by-fire all their major big money channels and force them to enter the appeals process so they can cull all the people they don't like. It's a bad idea, they've been extremely deceptive about it, and it's starting to backfire on them. Because of how poor their filtering is, they've managed to de-monetize a bunch of videos by people who were making content that was legitimately helping people with depression and other mental issues and stuff designed to help people who were sexual assault victims. A lot of people think that they're doing it so they can force anyone who isn't making 100% ultra sanitized content that YT can use as it's "face" to have to make money using alternate revenue streams (IE Twitch and Patreon). This is a huge coup for YT because they've basically deep sixed all their competitors and claimed a virtual monopoly on video hosting where creators can make money. There really isn't another stable option for people to choose, so now they're forced to choose between "make revenue free videos on YT (which YT gets to still make money on BTW) and get money from Twitch subs or Patreon donations" and "Make content that contains no confrontational topics, serious issues, swearing or excessive violence, so that YT can expand it's advertiser base."

The solution is very simple and has been suggested by many people: When you make a video you need to be able to select some meta-tags for your video (IE: Adult content/language, Serious issues, graphic violence, etc) basically a version of the MPAA or ESRB rating system, and then they need to use this to sell ads. There's actually a lot of advertisers who would be willing to buy ads for only adult content videos, people like rated R movies, alcoholic drinks, late night TV shows, etc and so it's pretty dumb to just cut those videos out of the revenue stream, they instead need to incorporate it in a way that lets advertisers target the demographics who like those kinds of videos. Jim Beam probably doesn't want to throw it's ads in front of Pewdiepie videos, but I can't imagine they would have an issue with someone like Jim Sterling . In fact in the US, if you used those tags to gate things by age, you could get around a lot of the advertising restrictions that surround things like smoking products and booze so it seems like pretty win-win scenario.

I suspect something like that will be the end result and that this purge is most to get rid of people like Scarce and FAZE and the multitudes of channels that make money off of bullying kids and posting thousands of videos about drama and people's personal lives.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah those are fake as hell. I'd even go so far as to say they're official figures that someone just photoshopped funny names onto.

Ashens has a video on them although the ones he has don't have the full card.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Improbable Lobster posted:

If google is trying to bust those channels they're doing it in the most rear end backwards and worthless way possible. I suspect that it's google's advertiser bootlicking, like every single other thing they do. If google/youtube had any serious competitors theybm would fold in months.

A good example would be how Youtube gaming has failed in a massive sense when compared to Twitch because of how broken YT's copyright claim system is. Despite having a massively larger install base and basically everything going for it to be a powerful videogame streaming platform (including being the place where 99% of all popular gaming videos are watched) they have totally poo poo the bed because when any popular YT person decides to stream they will get copyright striked and have their stream pulled. Usually within 20 minutes. The issue is that even if the strike isn't legitimate (which is usually never is) if you get a pending strike on your account it locks your ability to stream. So literally all that has to happen is a 12 year old kid gets mad because he gets killed in Overwatch by some YT person and he can go and be like "I AM TOTALLY MARVELS COMICS AND THIS MAN IS STEALING MY COPYRIGHT" and then 9/10 they will be unable to stream for, usually, around 48 hours.

But yeah, a lot of it is bowing to advertiser pressure from certain advertisers. They already gate some ads based on whether your videos are adult tagged or not, they basically have every alcoholic beverage brand in their corner because of that and make a whole grip of money from them. And something tells me those brands don't give a gently caress. The issue is that something like 75&+ of YT's monetized traffic and highest earning video creators are producing content for people under the age of 18 and if they really want to seize the market on that they need to tighten up on what vids are getting ads. Companies like Hasbro (and especially Hasbro, I can say from personal experience working with a Nerf and HvZ club in HS and College) are incredibly anal about where their ads appear and what kind of content they appear in front of. I know when we were running our college HvZ club they had a ton of restrictions about us using the Nerf logo (not just copyright things, stuff like "flyers with the logo can't be posted at bars, clubs or other adult only establishments"). A while back my friend worked with a non-profit hospital charity that was doing Star Wars stuff and while they were allowed to run a TV ad the restrictions on when they were allowed to run the ad and what programming it was could be on during was equally odd.

Those kinds of advertisers don't want a lot of the popular channels to get their ads, even if those channels are big with kids. They don't want their ads in front of content where people make fun of other people, swear a lot, make off color jokes, or any of the myriad other things that happen on basically every "hardcore gaming" youtube show. But YT doesn't wan't to kick all those people off officially because putting all your eggs in one basket isn't a good plan, they wan't to try and force them to toe the line or have a valid reason to get rid of them produced by their system. It's like when you work at a job where the boss hates one employee so they start trying to dig up dirt on them by casually talking to other employees so they can have a "real" reason to fire them. But on the internet, and also everyone involved makes hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Tiggum posted:

I don't think it's really a bootleg, it's just a mod for the shareware version of the game.

Nah, back in the day companies would go through different BBS and find mods like that or just games/shareware people would make and they would make a bunch of floppies and then distribute them to mom and pop stores or guys who did the flea market/computer show circuit. I remember even in the late 90's there were places on the Jersey and New Hampshire boardwalks where you could paw through giant boxes of one dollar floppies and find copies of things like "Spear of Density" and "Mario for Windows". Big shareware compilation CDs tried to keep the trend going but the death of widespread BBS usage pretty much killed their distribution chain. They continued to be a thing in Russia and the poorer parts of Europe but had generally switched over to just being compilations of actual pirated games by the early 00's.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I had a Mario game for Windows! :haw: I remember reading about it years later in a gaming article, and what I'd been playing was an early fan game that someone had stuck on a floppy rather then a mod. It had no sound, but it was pretty good; I have no idea where my dad got it from.

I bet you I know which one it was:
http://www.wieringsoftware.nl/mario/

It was a super widely distributed piece of software back in the day. There is some lovely creepypasta called this now, but for ages this was just known as "mario.exe". The guy also made a bunch of other games/sequels that all use the same engine and play pretty similarly.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Kumaton posted:

I like Ashens but his mic setup likes to capture all the sounds of cheap plastic and paper being felt, moved, and crinkled. It's like horrible toy ASMR.

He actually said on an interview once that he gets constant messages from really creepy ASMR people all the time who tell him that his pleasing voice and all the crinkling have made him a weird ASMR celebrity.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Hoo boy you should see his blind bag videos.

The My Little Pony one is a work of art.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I have one of their Romance of the Three Kingdoms sets of figures and it's rad.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Specifically that's a really strong Hong Kong accent.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Dreddout posted:

You gotta admire China's attitude of "loving bootleg everything!"

They're committed to the hustle!

It actually goes way deeper than people think it does. It's actually a almost cultural difference. China has very different cultural feelings about copying. There's a lot of people who legitimately think that if you can't be an innovator who makes the best thing than you should just copy the best thing as well as you can, and because (especially modern) Chinese culture isn't huge on encouraging creativity and expression you get a lot of people copying and not very many people innovating. A good example is Chinese cars. There are actually decent domestic Chinese cars that run pretty well and aren't terrible, but many if not most Chinese people would rather buy a fake Toyota that is a barely operable trash heap but just the fact that it looks like a foreign car that is good makes it better than the domestic one that isn't rear end.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Gorilla Salad posted:

Not bad, only took three and a half minutes of the eight minute running time before he actually showed the figure.

Normally I complain about these things but that figure deserved an intro. It had to either be that or just a twenty second video of him zooming in on the face and saying "Yep, that's real."

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Aesop Poprock posted:

Has any sort of review internet personality person ever actually made an ok film. I haven't watched any of the AVGN or TGWTG'S stuff but I'm assuming they're unwatchable

The Ashen's film wasn't the greatest but it was pretty OK and set out to do what it wanted to do, which is pretty admirable for any kind of indie film, even one with a reasonable budget. The problem with a lot of those internet reviewer movies (or really a lot of indie passion projects) is that they think that "giving your audience what they want" is literally just setting up a parade of references to things barely strung together by a plot that almost doesn't exist. I think the reason the Ashen's film is actually OK is because they actually went the extra step and got people who knew how to make a movie. When you compare that with the tales from the TGWTG's "sets" it puts a lot of things into perspective. Quest for the Gamechild looks, sounds and functions like an actual film, it has a standard plot structure, editing by real editors, an actual soundtrack, the list goes on. Most internet people movies don't even look good compared to things like Asylum productions or Lifetime movies, and Gamechild at least looks like it could have been made to pad out time on basic cable. All that being said it's still, like, a 5/10 at best. There's something to be said however for niche films with niche audiences. One of my favorite movies has a 64 on Metacritic, and I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that if you looked at who directed it and what it was about and it wasn't immediately your kind of thing than you probably shouldn't have seen it because it wasn't going to win you over. It was like when a bunch of reviews complained the film of Les Miserables was "too long", if you didn't want to see a two and a half hour long big budget rendition of a stage show, you should have spent your money elsewhere (Les Mis has a lot of other problems but that one seemed like going to see Star Wars and complaining about there being too many laser guns).

Hell even internet people who supposedly went to actual film school make terrible movies. Spacecop was absolute garbage, and not in the good way it was trying to be.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Elias_Maluco posted:

Oh, SF 2 bootlegs. I remember when these became more popular in arcades than the official SF 2

There was all kinds of great crazy stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N3kCm1YG4M

The DOS one is kind of different though. Most of the Rainbow Edition style bootlegs were done by loving with the actual arcade boards. They would basically dupe the boards and the start loving with random poo poo until things happened and go from there. The DOS bootleg on the other hand was made by a bunch of Taiwanese guys ripping the sprites from a non DOS version of the game (I want to say it was for Amiga?) and then coding a totally custom engine and recording their own sound effects. I believe several of the people responsible later went on to work on the classic poo poo game Super Fighter.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Pastry of the Year posted:

Enhance Children intelligence 2.8" ps vita games

I'm SHOOT HEXAPOD

No Chanticleer Hegemony, No buy.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

So these videos are interesting because they work on the concept of manipulating YT to create a sort of feedback loop to generate money. What they do is they make these videos which are about as fun as driving a nail into your eardrum but are undeniably actual content that exists and also designed to manipulate search metrics. So what happens is that they use a large amount of accounts, either bots or just paid YT watchers (which are a real thing you can hire in cheap labor places) to give the videos just enough boost to start lighting up in searches where they will get clicked on by dumb kids who will watch them long enough to get an impression and a paid view. Once this starts happening they can starting heavily mixing in bots with legitimate viewers because with YT it's always been easier to use bots to boost views if you have an effective smokescreen of millions of actual viewers to hide them in. Because multiple groups are all using this method they then start heavily populating each others suggested videos which then gets viewers (IE small kids) stuck in a loop where more of these poo poo videos are the easiest things to click on and so you get an effect where one of these videos getting lots of views passes off thousands of views to associated videos.

This all sounds pretty dumb and insane, then you realize these people make a lot of money. Social Blade estimates the income from that channel as somewhere between 100k and 1.5 million per year and from experience it's probably in the high end because it's a channel aimed at kids and ad impressions for people under 18 are worth significantly more money than other ad impressions. The thing you'll notice is almost all of these channels are networked to big multi channel networks even though you'll never see any of those MCMs actually publicize this in any way. Due to the way MCMs work having these weird creepy knockoff kids channels in their wheelhouse means they can produce a shitload of free money to prop up their other big name users/vloggers/whatever and offer competitive rates for joining their network. Since MCMs mostly are in charge of negotiating copyright disputes and finding ad companies who will be willing to buy more profitable ads than the ones google runs (or do paid product placement) what will happen is a big company will look at a network like, for example here, Studio71 (the people who claim the channel linked here) and offer them a deal based on their channels like FPSRussia or Epic Meal Time. The MCM will say "we can offer you ads in this demo (in this case kids) at these rates and with this amount of minimum views" and the ad company will agree because who hasn't heard of Epic Meal Time? But then they dump all these ads on channels like the one above, generate a ton of views with their small child exploiting Chinese content farm, and cash out big.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Double Punctuation posted:

I'm pretty sure the only thing you need to make retail PS2 discs is to rent out a mastering facility, and I'm sure pirates would be able to find one that doesn't ask too many questions. The extent of the PS2's copy protection is, "Does the disc have hidden data that matches the filename of the game?" You can't make them with burners, but it's trivial for any mastering facility to reproduce them.

(An aside: You don't actually need to mod PS2s. You just need to get the door open without tripping the door switch, then use a loader disc to boot the burned disc. A credit card works for old models; cotton works for the slims.)

It's also possible to do it with what I would call barely commercial production equipment. Not to mention there's a shitload of PS2 production stuff kicking around China, Brazil and East Europe where that system is still going strong so I imagine you probably just get whoever owns one of those setups to press you one disc and then you slam out as many copies as your lovely duplicator can make and sell those.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Aesop Poprock posted:

Please tell me they didn't just throw away the original one cause I'm sure it could be put to use in one of those ripoff russian themeparks or something

IIRC they moved it somewhere else since it's badness had become it's own attraction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

This (and the other stuff you've posted ITT on the general subject) is fascinating stuff; is the internet video content ecosystem something you're involved with professionally or is it just a personal interest? Either way, I'd enjoy reading an A/T thread about that whole system - it's fascinating how much money there is flying around something that's still being made up as it goes.

No I just have a few close friends who got into the whole making YT videos thing when it was still a market you could break into and they do OK at it. Although none of them still do stuff in front of the camera anymore because if you can break into the small amount of production and/or office jobs in the social media industry they pay better and your job doesn't vanish instantly based on the whims of teenagers.