Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Personal theory: Since this isn't a binding referendum, they will get all the Brexit machinery in order and then hold another 'do you REALLY want to leave the EU?' vote in a year or so.

That's funny, because Jean-Claude Juncker and Donald Tusk would prefer the UK invoking Article 50 next week during the next Council Meeting to get the two-year negotiation period started: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36618317

Waiting for a year without deciding anything would at that point probably cause more damage to both parties than an outright exit within a defined amount of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
The German Handelsblatt claims to have gained access to an 8-page whitepaper from the German Ministry of Finance. Apparently, they are expecting difficult divorce talks and recommend pushing for "associated partner country" status for the UK. They are also recommending to not give them preferred access to the common market for fear of inspiring potential imitators from other parts of Europe (the formulation is "no automatism for access to EU inner market").

Source (german): http://www.handelsblatt.com/politik...t/13783492.html

Brief mention: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/24/top-eu-leader-we-want-britain-out-as-soon-as-possible

Obviously, everybody should learn German anyway now that Merkel will literally take over Europe after England chooses to seek its own liberty and freedom. :hitler:

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Crabtree posted:

You'll just have to name a few names to prove your loyalty now and again and you'll even get extra benefits for good behavior.

So does anyone have that picture of David Cameron and other British politicians when they were together for a class/secret society photo? I think it should have a nice red letter edit of CLASS THAT hosed THE COUNTRY put on it.

Just search for "Bullingdon Club" and pick whatever you like.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

vyelkin posted:

and Boris Johnson (front row, far right)

:captainpop:

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
Soooo.... Hammond says 6+ years to get decent deals going, Malmström says no trade negotiations are allowed for Britain while they are still EU members (i.e. before the Article-50-period of two years is over) since EU members are not allowed to negotiate their own trade deals outside the bloc, while Davis says 12-24 months for finished trade deals with the US & China while he wants to wait at least half a year with triggering Article 50. I wonder who might be talking out of his arse here.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

waitwhatno posted:

Do you have a source? I'm really sceptical about that because article 50 explicitly provides 2 years to negotiate the exit deal between EU and Britain, as soon as it's triggered.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36684876

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36682735

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36678222

Also, this brief contains a lot of "should" and "could", so this depends a lot on how the EU wants to play this: http://www.europarl.europa.eu/RegData/etudes/BRIE/2016/577971/EPRS_BRI(2016)577971_EN.pdf

edit: Also, the exit deal is not the same as a deal for future trade or any other agreements, but in itself only governs the withdrawal itself.

Hollow Talk fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jul 15, 2016

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

LemonDrizzle posted:

Breaches of treaty obligations are handled by the European Commission in the first instance. However, the risk of fines would very much be a secondary concern: the much more pressing issue is that we will require tremendous amounts of goodwill and good faith from our negotiating partners if we are to secure any kind of not-disastrous leaving deal, and wiping our collective arse with our treaty obligations does not seem like a particularly good way of generating goodwill or good faith. On top of that, the third countries with whom we'd be negotiating these new treaties might start asking awkward questions like "if you're so willing to poo poo on your obligations under the EU treaties, how can we be confident that you won't do the same thing to us if the treaties we're negotiating now turn out to be inconvenient to you in the future?"

It might be quite difficult to formulate convincing answers to questions like that.

I'm sure Boris would be able to reassure these third countries in short order!

:downsgun::hf::saddowns:

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

tsa posted:

A lot of people here are assuming, incorrectly, that the eu is some monolithic powerful entity rather than being a shambling mess of countries who will never come to an agreement about how to handle brexit and is on the verge of complete collapse themselves.

Look at the climate thread, there's just a lot of posters who mistake hopeless depression for knowing what the hell they are talking about.

That's funny, because they seemed to be pretty clearly united on the fact that no "cherry picking" would be allowed.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Rookersh posted:

The best part is, it's not "two years"

It's "within two years"

People seem to miss that within bit.

How exactly are people missing that? It means that there is a maximum period of two years, but the formulation retains the option of finishing negotiations earlier than that. It doesn't mean the EU could just say "lol UK" after a year. This ensures that the withdrawing country can decide to withdraw sooner if it is satisfied with the progress, not the other way round. :confused:

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Ashcans posted:

Well then I guess it's fine, assuming that all those people currently working for the EU are going to quit their jobs and return to Britain to spend two years undoing everything they have worked for previously.

I don't think relying on employees of the EU to help you get out of the EU is going to be a very solid strategy.

But don't they want to be sovereign and freeeeee?!

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

call to action posted:

I thought all the City people were crying about how this will destroy them? Sounds like it's going well down there then.

And can we take a second and think about all the poor British bureaucrats' careers who were destroyed by American independence?

:allears:

I'm sure highly educated, highly paid and highly mobile people in the City will be the only people who will feel any negative consequences, especially since they are far less equipped to either adapt or move on compared to many of the people who will continue to have no perspective, in or out.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

effectual posted:

And it's officially hit the rest of the EU. The IMF downgraded their estimate of next year's global economy. A lot of people listen to them :/

It's not really a surprise. Apart from a new cabinet (which is basically an internal affair), nothing substantial has happened in the last month in terms of actual negotiations or even solid plans. Davis has just now started to "plan", and first this week have politicians in the UK actually started to move in the general direction of perhaps thinking about the potential need to address eventual future steps that might one day lead to making some initial progress on beginning to exit.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
Somewhat topical: Nigel Farrage being called out live on radio: http://www.thecanary.co/2016/07/18/nigel-farage-crashes-burns-live-radio-caller-sets-perfect-trap-video/

:lol:

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

A Buttery Pastry posted:

If you assume they were actually conspirators, and not just people opposed to Erdogan's policies, like all the teachers he has gone after.

I am sure two detectives sat down after the coup attempt and investigated, person by person, their specific involvement in the attempt. I am also sure that in no way did they have lists of people in a drawer who they would like to get rid of if the situation were to arise (no matter which situation, a coup just being one option). We all know all those dangerous, armed and fierce teachers and university deans, mowing down civilians left and right.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I was not entirely sure what you were going for, since you used '..' and not "...".

One more reason for Brexit, all of the foreign heathens using "Outer 'inner quote' quote", rather than the thoroughly British style of 'Outer "inner quote" quote', as the Queen demands!

:argh::hf::britain:

edit: vvvvvvv The MHRA Referencing Guide uses single quotes for quotations and double quotes for nested quotations. :thejoke:

Hollow Talk fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 21, 2016

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

MikeCrotch posted:

The big problem with the BBC is that a lot of the top people, most notably Political Editors Laura Kuenssberg and Nick Robinson, are out and out Tories and will spend as much time as they can get away with smashing the left while throwing softballs at the current governments. The puff pieces they put out for Cameron, May and Osbourne were loving disgusting, though unfortunately they were not alone in that regard in the traditional UK media.

Lügenpresse! Lügenpresse! Oh sorry, I mean: "Out is out! Out is out!"

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

josh04 posted:

Cross posting from the UKMT, I don't know whether anyone here in the Brexit thread made it through Brexit: The Movie, but I did and I've cut together the highlights for easy viewing:

https://vimeo.com/175840985

I would like to marry you, no matter what David Davis or Theresa May might think about that. :swoon:

The movie is brilliant. On the other hand, hey, those clowns won! :saddowns:

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

got any sevens posted:

Now there was an article about brexit in the paper today and some guys want some naval ship to go back into service? As if one extra boat will make it all better? What the hell

It's not a "naval ship" so much as the royal yacht Britannia which was put out of service and is moored in Edinburgh. Basically, a bunch of people want to reinstate a royal yacht in which the leaders of the British Empire Mk. II can sail the world and, more specifically, which Liam Fox can use to sail to other countries in order to impress, thus making future trade deals more likely.

Basically, Britain was great when it had the Empire, Britain will be great post-Brexit, thus we need to reinstate all the markers of having an Empire. :byoscience:

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Gonna be impressive as hell when your leader has to spend two weeks on sea to travel to a different country like a hobo.

Better get yourself a gold plated A380 with an ivory board toilet, that will really impress the local chiefs.

Can't be an A380, the manufacturer's original name even had "European" in it!!! :britain: Fox will simply have to ride on a Rolls Royce turbine, Dr Strangelove-style.

Airbus Group used to be EADS, i.e. European Aeronautic Defence and Space Company

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
This is an interesting article by the BBC's Berlin correspondent that starts with a metaphor about cookies and rolls with it in order to explain different political cultures and that tries to elucidate why Brits might not "get" that Merkel isn't just playing hard to get when she says "no".

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-37799805

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Fargo Fukes posted:

I wonder if anyone in power actually cares what their EU counterparts say/mean/want. Has the Conservative party flatly accepted the deal of ten thousand years of rule in exchange for a collapse in living standards, economic output, and international relevance? Is all the posturing and talk of the negotiating table purely for the benefit of the British Brexit audience, who will be appropriately shocked and appalled when the cruel EU apparatchiks don't play fair and let us crash drunkenly out of the system? Is it all just another setup to blame the forrens when everything goes wrong?

It's always the Polish: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/nov/01/liam-fox-pre-brexit-deal-setback-european-union

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

EUROPEAN

FAUXTON posted:

In short, German rhetoric doesn't gently caress around with "please ask me again later to save face" courtship. No is no and Theresa probably thinks poor Angela has a tic causing her to blurt something sounding like "fik dik ouch" every couple minutes but the truth is that Theresa's the only person who ever sees it.

Pretty much.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Why are the judges dressed like dandy santas?

Those "wigs" are disguised hard hats that are supposed to protect your head when a Brexiteer inevitably chucks a bottle at you.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

:britain::respek::byodood:

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Red Oktober posted:

Specifically, they're arguing that it wasn't the courts jurisdiction to rule on. Of course, May has said before that a ruling would ok, so it's more a case of 'not the result we wanted so actually should never have been taken to the court.'

The irony is apparently lost.

The real irony would be if somebody were to drag this before an EU court (which seems to be one possible outcome).

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

mehall posted:

Fraid not.
Triggering A50 is up to the constitution of the member country, and judgements about our constitution don't go to the EU courts, only EU business does.

That is...probably not quite right: http://www.howtocrackanut.com/blog/2016/11/3/why-an-appeal-of-the-high-court-parliamentary-brexit

fake-edit: OMG, that's totally from like, a dirty European, so it's like, totally biased and doesn't reflect what we want!

actual edit: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-37873493 also mentions the possibility that the Supreme Court could refer this to the European Court of Justice, cf. the last two paragraphs.

Hollow Talk fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Nov 6, 2016

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Spangly A posted:

You've misunderstood the issue. The only way this goes before european court is on the subject of whether article 50 is reversible or not, which is a matter of interpretation of EU law. For the case just ruled on, it was taken as understood it is not reversible. Now, this could be appealed and further argued, but I'm drat near certain the EU has no interest on matters of royal prerogative vs parliamentary procedure.

I think the blog article goes into some pretty good detail while the two are linked regardless by virtue of being part of the same ruling, which, in order to be upheld, would also have to deal with the implied valuation of Article 50 in the UKHC ruling, which, depending on how the UKSC decides, might still require referring these since they are the highest national legal instance while making at the very least implicit assumptions about EU legislation that is both relevant without precedent.

Edit: That parliament might have to be asked is certainly a thing and decided on a national level etc., and that is all good and well, but the very wording of the UKHC's decision has opened the door to a potential referal by including the words it has.

Edit 2: Basically, I don't even question that the whole "involve parliament" question is a matter of national law and that no European court can decide etc., all I am saying is that it's still funny that this whole question that has right-wing newspapers and all sorts of Brexiteers up in arms about national judges will probably get worse if this is referred to a European court regardless of the rationale behind the referral itself. We are talking about the same people who don't understand the fundamental importance of a split between legislative, executive and judiciary and who try to brand judges who want to get their currently elected parliament involved as traitors in language that could be straight from the Völkische Beobachter. :shrug:

Hollow Talk fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 6, 2016

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
Speaking of food, I present brexit.jpg

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/nov/08/toblerone-gets-more-gappy-but-its-fans-are-not-happy

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

RandomPauI posted:

Is there any way to reboot from an earlier save state? Or is it not worth it because we didn't collect the right things before the last save?

Looks like people are quite eager to try and load that "England-Empire-Postwar_1950.sav" file, but it must have gotten corrupted somewhere along the way.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Renfield posted:

Albert Spear

Taking back control of the Germanic languages, I see.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/dec/15/lonely-theresa-may-video-at-eu-summit-is-brexit-in-a-nutshell

Brexit in a nutshell, again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
I'm just looking forward to the day when it turns out the film Doomsday was actually a documentary that was simply sent back in time. Just substitute "virus" for Brexit, I guess?

• Locked thread