Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

GDQ is big enough now that they should auction off the couch at the end of every event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I only played Link Between Worlds for a little bit, but doesnt the stamina regen over time?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Please stop posting my couch pics, thanks.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Azazell0 posted:

Yeah, the sunshine run was just fine in this regard, although I would've liked to see the crowd a bit more.

One thing I gotta say that the layout is absolutely gorgeous this year.

yeah but the tiny couch

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

SO reading through, apparently Twitch chat was the reason that people were having terrible times trying to stream stuff and that the solution was to use a client like the popout viewer or livestreamer with no chat window. How does that happen?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Your Computer posted:

The chat's not the problem for me, it's flash or whatever that the browser uses to display the stream. Using popout does nothing to solve this.

Livestreamer works wonderfully though, which it should. It directly displays the stream in your media player of choice (VLC, MPC, etc.) which is better than showing it through a browser plugin.

Azazell0 posted:

There's instructions on how to use Livestreamer in the OP.

I don't really care for the chat, but the main reason to use Livestreamer is to get the stream on VLC and it 99% of the time works flawlessly with no lag or loading, unlike the browser based streams.

Hasnt HTML5 been coming to twitch for like 2 years now? Livestreamer is the tits though.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Stream broke? Stream broke.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

What is this dumb game

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Is there a VOD or timestamp list being kept anywhere? Had to cook dinner and want to watch Tropical Freeze from the beginning

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Never heard of Catherine, but this run is already pretty entertaining.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I don't think I could play this game slowly and single player :stare:

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Is the tower mode a mini game or is it the actual game?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

How long after GDQ starts do the VODs start popping up? I want to watch Tropical Freeze since I missed that

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Macaluso posted:

Anytime. Reddit has a VOD thread with links to every speedrun when they begin:

https://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/comments/4r4pyp/sgdq_vod_thread_2016/

I had the /r/speedrun open earlier and didn't see it, then I checked after clicking that link and it was there and posted over an hour ago. Strange. Thanks for the link though!

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Started watching the DKC:TF run and the couch is already great 5 minutes in

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Macaluso posted:

That's how it was in 2015 too and it made it one of the best speedruns to watch.

I remember really liking the 2015 run, and Trihex doing the first run of the marathon and being super on point the whole run. It is crazy the difference between runners that can commentate and play at a high level at the same time and some of the other folks who cant.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

cant your plug in the DS and play it at the same time?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Plug the drat thing in :cmon:

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Chortle posted:

The notification light on the hinge also starts blinking red, it's pretty hard to miss.

is it something that gets disabled or covered up when modding them for capture?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Chortle posted:

Not too familiar with 3DS capture cards, but it looks like it's a board that gets soldered onto the bottom and looks like a battery pack with a USB out. Don't think it affects any other part of the 3DS.

Good thing it wasn't a giant loss, just something really dumb that could have been avoided super easily.

Yeah I don't know anything about 3DS capture cards either, it was just a thought I had. What I do know is that this DKC race is legit good, back and forth so far.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

mirror123 posted:

This couch is giving me panic attacks I can't watch this run

I always wonder, do they buy the couch or do they get someone from around the convention to bring their couch from their home and its just whatever they can find? Either way, dude is good at MegaMan and I am not.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

smell this posted:

maybe they forgot one this year and asked the hotel and its all they had

Or maybe they didn't ask the hotel and just stole one from the lobby, because that looks like every couch in every hotel I've ever seen

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

mangler103 posted:

I love these old MegaMan runs because I was always terrible at Mega Man games when I was a kid. I think a friend and I collaborated to beat MM2 one day. I've tried the newer old school games like MM9 in the past few years and I can't even get to a single robot master. :(

Same. Borrowed MMX as a kid and Chill Pinguin always kicked my rear end, which is super sad.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Thursday Next posted:

Catherine was so loving boring I wanted to pull my own eyes out.

:stare: what did you say? Dude was a really good commentator along with being one dude to play on a PS3 controller and fight pad, even if the game isn't like the best game. Look at the Tetris games, simple games everyone knows but the skill level was really high.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Minrad posted:

yeah, this is the first Nice UI they've had at a GDQ. just update the color scheme each year and we're set

Other than the stream nuking out once yesterday and the DS going dead in the middle of a run, it seems like this has gone pretty well this time around

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Your Computer posted:

There's a lady on the couch so they had to balance it out with a really buff dude. :monocle:

Trihex has a new beefcake competitor

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I didnt know that the singing was serious, but there it is :911:

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Your Computer posted:

has there been a "shoutout to shoutouts" yet this event?

you just did!

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Rorus Raz posted:

Awakening is good, but I'm afraid Link Between Worlds takes the crown :colbert:

breath of the wild looks like its going to be awesome, but yeah link between worlds is really good.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

goatface posted:

Hm, they're slipping into in-jokes. Dock them half a point.

nah, they explained it and it made sense in context

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I didn't realize that the Links Awakening run was only 5 seconds off from a world record

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Phone posted:

I love the particle effects in this game.

when they nail the art style, its top notch. see: wind waker

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Eonwe posted:

the flame effect is so cool

They started it with Wind Waker, and it seems like a few other games kept it around

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Pakled posted:

The Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze race was really good. The commentary was top-notch and the competitors were close the whole way through and there was a lot of trading of the lead.

Probably was my overall favorite run so far.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

With as little couch talking as is going on, I am surprised they arent discussing mroe donations. I also cant believe there is still almost 30 minutes of this

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

wouldnt it be great if the run ended with him softlocking the system?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Bioshock is an apt game to play decked out in American exceptionalism

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

god drat quicksave/load buttons

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

CJ posted:

Is there a reason he's running the game on garbage settings or no?

FPS dependent glitches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

what a great psychout

• Locked thread