Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I mostly lurk this thread, but just had to say this happened at Star Trek Mission Chicago today:

https://twitter.com/a_simple_tailor/status/1512927854866141187

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

Kate not mincing words. Holy gently caress.

I am not there, but apparently Kate is just going off like this, lol

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Delsaber posted:

Who I gotta talk to for a deep purple uniform with gold trim? Representing the 3rd Street Saints over here

Get Samuel L Jackson in a Trek, and it will happen.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

some kinda jackal posted:

I probably posted it before, but the only other real nightmare fuel I experienced with TNG was watching the episode where Riker gets absconded for medical experimentation on the reg. It was a super weird freak stormy night when it aired, and as I was watching and the tension is building, they all start to recall the clicking room and I’m like “oh poo poo” and suddenly lightning strikes like two blocks away with this tremendous CLAP and the power goes out and I’m pretty sure I screamed out loud.

I describe is poorly but I guess you had to be there, and also be a big wimpy 14 year old.

I’m not sure when I watched that episode next. Don’t remember if they re-aired new episodes immediately after or if I had to wait to watch it in syndication.

Schisms. Its to this day one of the scariest TNG episodes ever. Like, if you grew up watching TNG on TV then you also were probably around during the Alien Abduction phase of Unsolved Mysteries and that poo poo fed directly into that.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

Changelings are punctuated with tiny convective flows, and if that stops up the surface crusts

Changelings are simply gravy, and I intend to host a Thanksgiving with Changeling Gravy this year.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

gently caress yeah

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1567913078364291075?t=9rWOWsyYWJn5Vr2wAT5NIQ&s=19

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

No, Sisko becomes a Sovereign class.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I like the early Borg stories too and would love to see that explored more through oral history or something. One thing I hope we never see though is a concrete Borg origin story. Did Disco ever mention the Borg in passing in the last two seasons? Did they survive the Burn, were they wiped out? I would love to know what they are up to.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Voyager established the Borg were around as a minor threat 700 years ago, which thankfully gets in the way of otherwise inevitable OMG HUMANITY CREATED THE BORG stories.

I don't think Disco's mentioned the Borg in the future? (Hell, they haven't mentioned the Klingons.)

Yeah, I liked all those references to "ancient" Borg where they were just a bunch of weirdos everyone ignored and they assimilated their way to being the big bad. So much so that I remember watching Scorpion part 1 and my jaw dropping that something could easily destroy several cubes in the cold open.

I actually thought for a minute in Picard season 2 that the Queen was going to get away and warp off to the Delta quadrant, making it canon that the Borg were born of a temporal paradox in part due to Picard. While I only mildly hate that idea, I am still glad they let the Borg's origins remain a mystery.

And yeah, we haven't seen any Klingon or anyone who has clear Klingon features in the Disco future, which seems odd.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

The Chairman posted:

just got to the voyager episode that opens on a closeup of Neelix's feet

I don't want to look but is Neelix on Wikifeet?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Timby posted:

The streaming contracts are signed years in advance. Like, HBO Max having the Trek movies for a six-month period (or whatever) in 2023 was likely negotiated as far back as 2019 or 2020.

Its this. Its why when Disney+ launched, they didn't have all the Marvel properties (outside of even the Netflix ones). They still don't have the Sony Spiderman stuff, but thats unrelated. There was also some Pixar stuff that was only available on other platforms for a while too.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Nessus posted:

eyyyyyyyyyy

Is that a museum like it looks like? That's some Golden Age Sci Fi Architecture right there.

Yup, they also showed Voyager (and even had the theme incorporated into the score when it was shown). I haven't looked closely yet, but there were a bunch of background screens with what I am sure are even more Easter eggs.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

Oh, is that his deal? I'm still behind on that, I got up to where it took a break.

That explains his gross color, but he's got like no forehead!

Yes! In the last couple episodes of the season you learn that he is basically a failed gebetic engineering experiment and has DNA from a bunch of different species. Also, the various DNA segments can be preferentially expressed in some circumstances so he can become as strong as a Klingon, logical as a Vulcan, etc.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

This is some good Star Trek poo poo posting

https://twitter.com/NoContextTrek/status/1160186486219771904?t=LaXi2MtHhDyyPW9Qjt7pjw&s=19

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Payndz posted:

Not all redshirt deaths stick, though; Leslie and Galloway both came back (Galloway after being vaporised!). Unexplained resurrection isn't just for senior officers.

What do you mean unexplained? You know about the black mountain right?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Angry Salami posted:

Star Trek envisions a future where we've overcome all our petty prejudices and hatreds by redirecting all of them inexplicably towards the Irish.

Once they reunify in 2024, they become monsters. Just wait and see.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

zoux posted:

Why a cube, wouldn't a sphere be the most efficient design

In terms of what?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

SuperTeeJay posted:

I liked that about Kim's character and how he was treated. Changing teams or employers is part of being perceived as successful/developing, but Kim can't leave, can't get promoted and will never be senior to anyone.

Janeway called the crew a family and Kim is the 35-year-old baby.

Meanwhile Tom can get a field promotion, get demoted, then repromoted. Like, you could have just made Harry and Tom switch ranks and that would have been fine.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Real missed opportunity not to have a rotating Borg Rubiks Cube.

I am now envisioning this as their version of a spore drive. Instead of a spinning saucer section, it just has sections flipping like a Rubik's cube until they all line up and it jumps.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

It makes sense. I imagine two Klingons with their foreheads locked together, pacing in tight circles and growling. The bat'leth is but a distant echo.

What is a bat'leth but a forehead persevering?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Holy poo poo I want this.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

As long as Michell Yeoh gets to just ham it up for an hour or so I am down.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

zoux posted:

Is that the only ST film in the pipe right now

Not sure, also I may be wrong, but it looks like its a Paramount+ movie, not a theateical release.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Schisms for your more horror oriented friends.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Discovery LITERALLY went 1000 years into the future and had a story featuring the Guardian of forever.

The solution to not having derivative writing is to not have derivative writing. No matter how far the setting is removed from everything else, writers will crutch if allowed.

Yeah, he's the Guardian of Forever, not the Guardian for a few centuries

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

Also O’Brien says he’s putting them right in the middle of town, and this is clearly the outskirts.

Not pictured: three identical craters behind and to the sides of the POV os this crater

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I think transwarp conduits are like Hyperspace lanes in Star Wars. You can go FTL without them, but they are defined lanes of varying speeds and have off and on ramps essentially and are way faster than the conventional FTL drives.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

While we are discussing refits and such, I have to say I really liked the Lower Decks version of the Titan, more so than the one we got in Picard. It was like they finally got the Miranda class looking good and then abandoned it for a Constitution knock off.

Edit: I should also say I liked the LD version of Riker too and imagine he really does a jazz countdown as his go phrase.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

All aboard! Then they make a choo choo noise.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

May the Force be with us.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Bloody Pom posted:

"¡Vamos!"

:smith:

No joke "¡Dale!" is my absolute favorite of these.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Found my phrase:

https://twitter.com/HELLLLHOOOOLE/status/1653817652048191488?t=875J98M02aSI7HV5uJr_Ww&s=19

Set course for Earth, maximum warp. Muad'Dib time!

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

MikeJF posted:

She could show up in SNW.

That would actually be pretty dope, especially since Spock's brother was hinted at being an ongoing thing, she could easily have something to do with that.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

zoux posted:

How's this for a hot take: Enterprise unis are the best unis from a perspective of "I work on a spaceship". A nice marriage of the Star Trek and NASA aesthetics.

They definitely make the most sense of all the uniforms, especially because they look to have pockets. Would not be surprised if Space Force knocked them off for stationed staff.

DS9 later season unis also fit that look too, except they are the more formal looking uniform. Basically, anything where color is the accent and not the main thing makes a lot more sense.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Tighclops posted:

I think he put the warp engines on pylons away from the crew modules because they were thought to contain dangerous energy

The early guidelines were that warp nacelles had to have a line of sight with each other, be parallel, and away from the crew due to radiation.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Klingon uniforms look exactly how a society where warrior culture is the most important would look.

I always thought the Cardassian uniforms were retconned to being that way to account for the warmer temperatures Cardassians are used to, like they were super insulated. But yeah Romulan ones are kinda dumb.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Lower Decks for Orions and Exocomps. Can't tell if it's the best or worst for Pakleds.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I am now picturing a remake of Enterprise but with Sterling Archer as captain.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Archer: Stop him, we need the formula for Trellium Dioxide.
T'Pol: Its Trellium Monoxide.
Archer: Whichever of Trellium's many oxides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

zoux posted:

I think the only mixed race couples (by the actors ethnicities I mean) involve Klingons. Every other character played by a black character that has a wife or husband has one that corresponds to the actor's race. Tuvok has a black Vulcan wife, Sisko marries the only other black character on the show that isn't his son.

It always seemed kind of hosed up that they (probably correctly) assumed that audiences would have less of a problem with a white woman dating a Klingon than they would a black human.

And keeping with TV tradition Harry Kim, an Asian, dates no one.