Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Baronjutter posted:

I'd love something like steam but for TV shows. You just buy the season or even per-episode and they come out exactly the same time as everywhere else, not days or weeks later. And you can always watch them any time you want, never taken away. I wouldn't just torrent poo poo if I could EASILY and permanently just buy shows/episodes without any bullshit subscription.

Isn't that what iTunes is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

thexerox123 posted:

It looked like this:

Is it just me or does that look like the Discovery 1 from 2001: A Space Odyssey?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

DS9 was the only Star Trek show that ran concurrently with other Star Trek shows for it's entire run, that's why it was able to really get away with a lot more messing with the formula of what it means to be Star Trek.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Yeah but Sisko got inner lighted to the 1950s where everybody was racist instead.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Did he? Or did Benny Russell get inner lighted to a future where a black man could run a space station?

If it wasn't for Shadows and Symbols using the Pah-Wraths to bring the Benny Russell plot back in an awkward hamfisted way that destroyed any ambiguity to Far Beyond The Stars, I would have said it was deliberately ambiguous.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I bet Data's head was the inspiration for items that criss-cross time loops in Homestuck like the bunny or of course Lil Cal.

Considering that Andrew Hussie was the Andrew in the JAndrew TNG edits, this seems likely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNTRLPx7IuQ

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The TNG/DS9 Maquis arc goes:
  • Journey's End (TNG)
  • The Maquis I & II (DS9)
  • Preemptive Strike (TNG)
And then you get into DS9 Season 3.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The problem with Jadzia was that she was just a channel to ask "What would Curzon do?" Ezri really made the character her own.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

Only Trek-adjacent and I realize it's not in their control, but good lord I wish The Greatest Generation didn't have to air plugs for other Maximum Fun shows. Each one of them seems to be competing for Qurikiest Podcast Ever, and I never get the skip-a-bunch feature on my player to skip them and not a chunk of the Drunk Shimoda / Next Time bits in the process.

I just started listening to this and i'm playing catch up in season 2 right now, but good lord the plugs for that celebrity gossip podcast are grating.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The rim of the 6 footer also stayed dark because it was supposed to be that there was a walkway that went around the rim of the saucer section that was always dark so people could see stars from any direction on the ship.

Presumably the scene in that one season 1 episode (I can’t remember which one exactly) where Geordi has to suddenly run from the bridge to a random set of quarters in order to look at the spaceship of the week with his visor. Presumably that would be what that walkway was meant for.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

I just got reminded about this videos existence, and I thought y'all could use a refresher on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHUO6CQvBfo

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

I just saw TOS Omega Glory

This show was considered progressive on race at one point

At the time Star Trek started airing, most network lineups were still mostly rural shows and westerns that deliberately ignored what was going on the world, and portrayed an idyllic (and only for white people) world. CBS was running an Andy Griffith spinoff called "Gomer Pyle U.S.M.C." that was set on a Marine Corps base that made no mention of the then-ongoing Vietnam War. And Star Trek was among the few shows on the air at the time to really acknowledge social issues, along with The Twilight Zone and the Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour.

And the Omega Glory was written in 1965, barely a year after Goldwater's campaign and when Birchers were laying the groundwork for the southern strategy. And yet it wasn't shot until December 1967, where it had relatively few edits from what was originally written, and then it aired on March 1st 1968, only a short time after the Tet Offensive, Cronkite calling the war "unwinnable" and the infamous photo of Nguyễn Văn Lém being summarily executed in the street.

And it has this message about a twisted version of America that was so wrapped up in trying to get one over on the drat commies that they had regressed into cavemen.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

CPColin posted:

You're in luck because the next two episodes of TNG after the pilot are widely considered two of the best the series has to offer.

Oh yeah, "Code of Honor" was so well-received that they hired the writer behind it to write almost the exact same script for Stargate SG-1's 3rd episode as well.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Marshal Radisic posted:

In the old TNG tech manual, Rick Sternbach discussed a few times that in the first few years show worked under the principle of "if a set or prop isn't required for an episode, it will not be built, even if it would be important to the crew in-universe." TNG might have gone without an Engineering or shuttlecraft set if they hadn't been explicitly written into the show for "Encounter at Farpoint" and "Coming of Age" respectively. This is the main reason why we never saw EVA suits or lifeboats in TNG.

As for why the crew never seem to use EVA suits in situations where hazard protection and a portable air supply would actually be useful, I suppose it's a combination of the main actors not wanting to wear uncomfortable, bulky suits for a long shoot and a desire to see the actors on the screen without their faces and silhouettes being masked by a suit.

DS9 only started using the grey uniforms after First Contact had them made, Voyager only started using the EVA suits after first contact, same with the phaser rifles, and DS9 didn't use those white-shouldered dress uniforms until after Insurrection.

It's usually too expensive to make a new one-off uniform type like that, so it's left to the big movies to make new stuff and the shows to adopt them.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

A movie about the Bajoran resistance. "You all owe me one hundred Cardassian scalps."

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Were Remans ever mentioned in TNG before they showed up in Nemesis?

What do you think?

(no)

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

I was rewatching All Good Things last night, and not gonna lie, I was kinda sad that Marina Sirtis didn't do her Season 1 accent for all the scenes in past.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

On the movie side of things, First Contact used a model for the E with CG for tricky shots or background ships, Insurrection was the first to go all CG, and Nemesis used a model for the crash sequence.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Gonz posted:

Speaking of, Spike is rebranding itself as Paramount Network next month, and they’re airing a few original shows in the hopes they can start some new prestige dramas.

they've come a long way from the nashville network

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

It’s one of my favorite DS9 episodes and I’m excited for Greatest Generation to get to it.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Pick posted:

The Federation is the most successfully culturally imperialistic force in the Star Trek universe, and they hold prosperity over the heads of developing worlds like Bajor in exchange for adherence to Federation cultural standards (e.g. no caste system). A powerful, post-scarcity institution ragging on a smaller power for its traditional practices, which that larger institution itself once engaged in prior to having transcended its benefits, is... oh, it's something like rich Californians objecting to underprivileged rural hunters. crazy lmao.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TREQGl54BU8

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Instant Sunrise fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Oct 7, 2019

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The Duras Sisters are the most effective Star Trek villains because they actually destroyed an enterprise without it being erased by a reset button.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Tonight on Unsolved Mysteries….

The assistant director for the Cetacean Institute walks into Golden Gate Park in broad daylight and disappears…

A doctor gives a pill to a dialysis patient who spontaneously grows a new kidney, a doctor that is never seen again…

A Russian spy breaks into the most secure aircraft carrier in the U.S. Navy, and vanishes without a trace…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

MikeJF posted:

They did that to substantially better effect in 2001: A Space Odyssey, where characters use thin tablets sitting on tables that were filmed with embedded screens.

2001 used 16mm rear projection for the displays, a technique that would later be used in TMP.

The problem with it is that the set lighting would wash out the screens unless they used comparatively dim lighting and made up for it with a faster film stock and a wide aperture.