Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Watching Disco on Netflix got me into the mood to revisit TNG and DS9 again. Bunch of years ago I tried watching all of TNG, but got burned out. I'm occasionally skipping an episode now.

Reading up on Encounter at Farpoint's production explains so much. It would've made much more sense to start with Riker's perspective, getting to know each crew member that way, but they kept going back and forth on the length of the episode(s) and ended up having to write in the weirdly high octane Q intro. Before you know this crew and ship, they're having to go BEYOND SAFE WARP LIMITS, separate the saucer section, go to da battle bridge. Funny.

Poor Troi cries like 5 times in just the first episode and her skirt's so short I was almost too distracted from her sitting down at the trial to notice O'Brien's the only one mysteriously not selected to attend. Tasha's impassioned speech also really does not work when you're still just getting to know these characters and this universe.

Watching DS9 again is like lowering into a warm bath. I'm not even bothered by it not being HD, though on TNG that provides the extra amusement of picking out the obvious stuntmen during fight scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
TNG: The Last Outpost - hard to believe anyone ever felt the Ferengi would make good antagonists. Basing an enemy race on greedy Wall Street traders/bankers wasn't necessarily a mistake, but they gotta have dignity. At the end of the episode when Riker and 'Portal' are strolling along the planet, they're just capering and dancing like play-starved cats. The next episode they appeared they were a lot more restrained and palatable.

Meanwhile, on DS9: I love how affectionate Sisko is to Jake. You never saw Beverly Crusher kiss or hug Wesley, I think. I've become a lot more sentimental to this stuff after my dad died, the scene where Sisko overhears Jake teaching Nog to read got me misty-eyed.

I accidently sat through the Storyteller, which may be the worst DS9 episode. Then I got to Duet, which I think I hadn't seen before (surely would've remembered), but which deserves its strong reputation. Much of that rests on Harris Yulin's performance, though. I sat up from the couch and said "holy poo poo, this guy's an actor", which is admittedly a bit unfair to the rest of the cast.

edit: Harris, not Harry.

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 3, 2019

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I saw Profit and Lace and He Without Sin as a kid, but for now it's still the Storyteller for me for how boring it is. Move Along Home was at least silly enough to be entertaining, bouffant aliens with triangles painted on their face and all. Kept thinking I should know the lead alien from somewhere.

It's amazing what an utter delight Garak is from his first appearance. I wonder if I can find that book Andrew Robinson wrote about him.

It's funny, as a kid I filed Garak away as a character not interested in relationships, which made it jarring when he and Ziyal(?) became a thing. I think 'not interested in relationships' was how I interpreted 'celibate TV gay' (though apparently Robinson played Garak as pansexual). It's too bad TV wasn't ready for that yet as it would've made sense for Trill to be pansexual too.

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Mar 4, 2019

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
TOS: The Menagerie - I never actually saw the Cage, so this was nice to see. The whole story with Spock's mutiny and hearing was loving insane, in a humorously ballsy way that says "we had the material, let's make a cheap two-parter." Pike seemed like kind of a psycho and the actor looked like Ray Liotta.

TNG: The Neutral Zone - I'd forgotten how much play the Romulans get after this, presumably because the Ferengi didn't work out. Weird to combine their dramatic return at the end of the 1st season with such a doofy story with the 21st century defrosted people keeping the crew busy. I suspect I hated the stockbroker as a kid, but kind of loved now how he exposes how garbage security is on the ship because everyone's on the honor system, plus he does Troi's job for her.

TNG: Where Silence Has Lease - holy poo poo Picard's crazy

"Everyone on this ship is prepared to die" doesn't this ship also have lots of civilians on it?

A Matter of Honor and Measure of a Man are so good.

I find that while I used to hate Wesley and Pulaski, I've warmed to them a lot. While Wesley is a bit annoying in the first few episodes, later I'm mostly struck with what a cock Picard is to him (though of course, he never made a secret of hating kids). It gets to be a relief when Riker sticks up for him in Where No One Has Gone Before.

With Pulaski, they just made the mistake of having a new character bully an established one. Had she been there since season 1 that would've been fine, and she starts to get a rapport with Data over the course of the season. Very fun to have an acerbic character on the stiff TNG cast too.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
As someone who knows nothing of national service, ranks etc, can someone explain what it means that Chief O'Brien is an enlisted man? Like, does that mean he didn't go through Starfleet Academy, but just responded to a wanted ad in the Daily Irishman or somesuch?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Automatic Slim posted:

Keiko is a civilian contractor. She is space Halliburton.

So that was what the occupation of Bajor was about. NO BLOOD FOR PLANTS

Thanks for the explanation, all.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
DS9 Season 3:

House of Quark is an extremely fun episode. Grillka is fantastic.

Second Skin - there's a weird thing with this episode that makes me think they rewrote the last part. If Kira was just an accessory to the plan to unmask a dissident, why was the Obsidian Order trying so hard to convince Kira she's really Cardassian? I guess you could say they were trying to make the most of things and get some secrets out of her, but that seems less interesting. I felt like that was originally the episode's main plot, and the mysterious Kira-body that gets wheeled out of cold storage would turn out to be the Cardassian woman they were trying to convince Kira of being - years before, altered to look Bajoran and replace Kira, but she failed and died.

Civil Defense - holy poo poo Dukat. When he teleports in and starts swaggering like "sup losers?" while everyone's cowering from phaser fire, I could not stop laughing. Creative use of the replicators as deadly weapons too.

Meridian - obviously sucks, but a rare genuinely strong bit of emotional acting from Farrell and Brooks when they say goodbye.

Destiny - nice to have more good Cardassians, and holy poo poo that's Tracy "Sheridan" Scoggins as the hot Cardy with the flowerpot hairdo! Hilarious. I read she liked her make up job so much, she wandered the studio lot and deliberately terrified a busload of schoolkids, lol

Also honorary mention for season 1's the Forsaken. I'm not normally a fan of Lwaxana, but the whole scene in the elevator where she drops her act with Odo is so, so good.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Pick posted:

The Maquis are loving yuppies and I hope they burn in hellthe fire caves

And they have really lovely fashion sense.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Did they ever bother explaining why they still had transporter pads and a room when you could just transport from anywhere to anywhere?

Could be to have a specific arrivals point, but you don't need the pads for that.

More stability/safety? The only times transporting visibly failed was in the transporter room, I think.

edit: Union regulations on designating a minimal percentage of beams to the chief?

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Mar 26, 2019

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

spincube posted:

As for the transporter room:

That part we rarely see, to the right of the pads, contains a whole bunch of equipment lockers and an industrial replicator. So, when Riker arranges an away team, he notifies the transporter tech so they can have tools, equipment, clothing etc. waiting and ready to go.

Shame they rarely showed that. Such a huge set.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

The_Doctor posted:

Wasn't it the one with the nehru collar and all the triangle medals?

Edit: This one:

Captain Kirk, decorated with honors for his service in the Quilt Wars.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

FlamingLiberal posted:

Apparently he had to tone it down from the take he did the first time because it was too menacing, so what we see is the 2nd take

I love that when Joran appeared in the episode where Jadzia learns about him, he seems fairly normal (didn't he just kill 1 guy in anger over not getting selected for the Dax host?) and yet Brooks is all AHHH JADZIA DAX LOVELY GIRRRL HAVE YOU BEEN PRAC-TI-CING YOUR MOO-ZIK

Brooks is clearly having a ball.

It's also fun to see the obvious stunt doubles on an HD TV when they grapple.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Drone posted:

Wouldn't be surprised if VOY's cast hated each other... it's well-known that there was a poo poo ton of drama between Mulgrew and Jeri Ryan.

Going by con Q&A's where they were pretty open about that stuff, I think most of the VOY cast ended up getting along pretty well, barring Ryan/Mulgrew.

I saw a video of a panel with Jeri Ryan and Garrett Wang where he broke down in tears talking about how he tried to fix the bad blood between Ryan and Mulgrew, because it felt like two of his family members were fighting.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

What if we patched in power from the shuttles

*punches palm* Like stealing cable from a neighbor!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

HD DAD posted:

“What if we stole cable from our neighbor?”

*punches palm* Like diverting the plasma flow from the reaction chamber to the deflector dish!

It'll take me four hours.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Harumph!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Note: this costume reverts to a gelatinous state after 18 hours (due to use of toxic and unsafe chemicals in the fabric)

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

cheetah7071 posted:

Is prune juice just plum juice then

How can you have juice specifically of the dried version of a fruit

Thank you, that's bothering me too!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Enjoying some classic TOS.

Arena: I'm not a fan of the blinky Gorn.

Space Seed: Ignoring the blackface, Ricardo Montalban is mesmerizing in every word and motion. It's kind of disturbing how endeared the crew is even after finding out he was a tyrant. Spock is right, humans be crazy.

Devil in the Dark: I remembered laughing at the Horta as a kid, but this is actually a real good episode. Spock gives a great performance.

City on the Edge of Forever: I realized I never saw this one. The premise for the time travel is hokey and I feel like the end is terribly rushed, but McCoy is astonishing, wow.

the Changeling: STOP. TRYING. TO SHOOT IT. After the first redshirts got sterilized, you'd think the others would get the picture.

Mirror, mirror: What a fun episode. Spock's goatee is impressive, but he's got nothing on Uhura's abs! :stwoon:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

J33uk posted:

Humans are basically the universal outlet adapter of the universe

Klingon: *scratches head* Ah! *flips human over*

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I feel like I should be mad because he lied to me, but he's so charming I just can't.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Timby posted:

He's quoting Gene Roddenberry, who was talking about giving Majel a terrible infection because he raw-dogged her during their honeymoon in Japan, going from back to front.

The first time I heard about this, I misunderstood it as Roddenberry roping a random studio underling into informing Majel that Gene had given her an infection, which was a slightly more horrifying idea.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

I would date The Borg.

*doorbell rings*

WE ARE THE BORG. ACCEPT YOUR CORSAGE. WE WILL ENTER THE RENTED LIMO OUR GRANDMA PAID FOR. WE WILL HAVE YOU HOME BY 11PM AT THE LATEST. WE WILL GET TO SECOND BASE.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Taear posted:

The funny thing with that guy is that he's basically playing the same character the second time. There's even a "you all look the same" joke from Wesley, kinda.
Easily the weirdest double use of the same actor.

I liked that character, too. He had a fun plot where he had to learn to open his mouth when something weird happens.

It's too bad TNG was always so noncommital about side characters. I really liked Lycia Naff as Sonia Gomez (she spills chocolate milk on Picard in her first appearance). She made Geordi look like less of a goon. I think there were plans to make her and Geordi a thing, but then they dumped her after three appearances.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Orv posted:

Even when Worf starts getting things to do as Head of Security it's basically either just looming at that weeks guest star before it's decided they're not a threat or, again, getting completely chumped and ignored.

Or being borderline treasonous in that one Klingon episode where they do the death yell that never comes up again.

Tasha and her team really come off looking like a bunch of campus security in that one.

"Gotcha, Klingons! Now... uh..."

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I'm amused at Bunty Bailey. All I know about her is she's the girl from the A-ha "Take On Me" video, dated the singer, and has a ridiculous name.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Bear in mind also that he specifically wants to assume the identity of a war criminal because Cardassia totally got away with their war crimes and denies doing them. So he is actively trying to do good by bringing nazi war crimes to light.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Tighclops posted:

the best part is the Captain's log Picard makes immediately after doing that where he says he laments having to destroy life after all these years of being taught to respect it or something

"...but drat did he blow up good."

"..."

"Computer, delete last sentence."

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Grand Fromage posted:

That's why I'd call them middling, not bad. They're just sort of forgettable. The yelling at a cloud episode is probably the worst from 1? At least Move Along Home is entertainingly stupid.

I don't think I ever considered that the Storyteller ep is literally Old Man Yells At Cloud.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Big Mean Jerk posted:

All I ask of a post-Nemesis series is for the crew to include a Romulan starfleet officer. Romulus is in ruins, there’s bound to be idealists who defect to starfleet instead of staying with the dying Empire. Give them the Worf treatment and actually expand the race beyond just ‘secretive cold war enemies’. The Romulan general (ambassador?) in late-DS9 and the defector from TNG were great characters that actually gave us small glimpses at what Romulans were like beyond the subterfuge. Give me more of that. The Klingons, Vulcans, Cardassians, and Ferengi all got their due in the 90s. Even the Andorians were explored on Enterprise. The Romulans and Tellarites are like the last two big Trek races that haven’t been completely mined for stories.

It's so weird to me that Romulans never got to be a movie villain, outside of JJTrek. I know they were planned for Generations. You'd have to fix their stupid universal uniforms and hairstyles, but they got so much play in TNG.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Watching Unification, the TNG two-parter with S*P*O*C*K. I don't think I've seen these before! There's something very fun and refreshing about them. Lots of locations, effects work, and character moments (Worf rapturously joining in with the Klingon opera he requests). I imagine this one's budget was substantial.

lol, Denise Crosby accidentally bumps Romulan shoulders points with a guard as she runs past him.

I really liked the idea of Crosby returning as a villain, especially since they tied it into a sensible backstory. Unfortunate that Sela never really got much character motivation beyond 'vindictive Romulan.'

Not a big fan of how they hurriedly throw in Spock mindmelding with Picard at the end. That deserved a proper scene.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

spincube posted:

I don't know if it's intentional or not, but I like how - during the 'Ent-D is getting hosed up in space' scene in Generations - the Klingons are all "fire at will!", and the next shot is Riker doing an 'is there anything we can pull out of thin air to save the day' bit, while injured crewmembers are being dragged away from around him.

I love everything the Brian Thompson klingon says in that movie. The teeth and his delivery conspire to make every shouted line a river rapid of consonants.

WE ARE CLOAWKING
OUWER SHIELDS ARE DOWAN

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I watched some Worf/Klingon themed TNG recently. I know a lot of what Klingons say is laughably out of line with what they do, but in all of Star Trek, does anyone ever call them out on the bullshit of using cloaking devices? "A noble warrior doesn't stab his enemy in the back," and all. Meanwhile, sneak up on enemy starship and disruptor them to pieces before they know what hit them. Q'apla, y'all.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I really like Bones' and Spock's Sybok-assisted flashbacks in Final Frontier. Other than that it's just kinda OK. The Klingon captain is an incredibly lazy, pointless secondary antagonist, Kirk's "SHOOT HIIIIM" makes him look like the bad guy, and Jesus, Uhura's dance. It does have a bunch of great oneliners though. "Nobody's perfect," "not in front of the Klingons." I don't hate the rock climbing, camping and rocket boots, like most people seem to.

If they wanted TOS in Generations, why couldn't they have done a Yesterday's Enterprise-style teamup, after which the old crew goes home? Would've been a more significant passing of the torch imo.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
lol, just watched TNG: The Descent. After shooting Lore while they're alone, Data walks up to the others telling them Lore is disabled and they should disassemble him. Nobody considers that maybe Lore took out Data and then just took his place? Again?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

They blew a huge amount of money on the Baku village and all that location shooting.

Good thinking, I definitely cared the most about the lovely town in my sci-fi space epic.

Two things Star Trek movies are enormously bad at: budgeting and keeping the cast from running the show.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Snow Cone Capone posted:

e: someone nerdier than I translate the Klingon in there will ya

You will be foreclosed slowly, Duras. *grin*

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

marktheando posted:

Just gonna recline in my Star Trek™ y-fronts and think about Kirk and Spock a little.

In....heaven?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Admiralty Flag posted:

Yeah, the Cable Guy, Jim Carrey "sings" it using "bumm"s and "ee-yah"s while fighting with Matthew Broderick at Medieval Times and misquotes the episode.

Oh, you mean Star Trek movies?

(Off topic -- I've always loved the Cable Guy, which would have probably been received a lot better if it weren't so famous for Jim Carrey being the first actor paid $20MM or whatever for a movie.)

Recently I rewatched Amok Time and was primed for the lines Carrey uses, but do any of them get said at all? I don't think Spock says much of anything while they're down on the surface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I got to Ro in my TNG rewatch! Like Pulaski, she shows how much the show improves when there actually is conflict among crew members. Plus she's such a strong character without just being a stereotype "don't need nobody" angry woman.

The episode where they lose their memories is great too because Ro sleeps with Riker and doesn't feel bad about it afterwards, and even bonds with Troi over it. I can't think of another contemporary show that wouldn't have the man act smug and the woman be embarrassed about it in a similar scenario.