Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You know, I think I liked Polaski better than Crusher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Met posted:

Same actress as Worf's Mate, Lady Q, and the bad Andorian Woman.

Oh yeah, glower at me harder baby.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

We also could have gotten the Kirk and Riker makeout that the world truly deserved.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Native American Data would have been something alright.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm watching season 2 of TNG and I think it's funny that about halfway through they decided that Data shouldn't be completely autistic all the time.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Holy poo poo the Pakled epsiode is bad. It keeps bouncing back and forth between the completely different plots with zero sense of pace, and clumsily connects them at the end.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Baka-nin posted:

On a first watch straight after Q Who its pretty bad, but it does have some redeeming qualities. It's hard not to smirk when the ultra smug early TNG crew get outwitted by the morons from outer space, and I can't help but smile as they slap Geordi around with their space lazers.

I think it's also the start of the trend of Worf voicing a perfectly valid security concern and everyone else laughing at him for being paranoid.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Up The Long Ladder is definitely one of the worst episodes of Star Trek. Here's a colony that has only been able to survive via cloning, but now they need new genetic material. The crew adamantly refuses to donate any of theirs because...? So they have to take drastic measures and forcibly take some material from Riker and Pulaski. Kind of a dick move, but understandable given the dire circumstances. But then Riker decides that the best course of action is to murder their clones in cold blood.

And that's not even mentioning the Space Irish.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Paradoxish posted:

It's definitely a good example of TNG writers not really thinking things through all the way, but given that those clones were never even conscious I'm not really sure how murder-y the whole thing was. I'd say it's more like they aborted their rape babies.

Not really. I mean, the clones were being raised in a vat, and if they hadn't figured out the devious plot they would have known nothing about it. It would be more like if a woman had a single ovum removed, artificially fertilized, and implanted in a willing surrogate. If it was done against her will it would be illegal as heck, but at the same time I don't think the victim would be able to demand that the fetus be aborted as long as the surrogate was fine with it.

But whatever, dumb episode. I guess in the 80s, cloning was still a weird sci-fi concept.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That doesn't really bother me though, because my genetic material is only part of me, not my entire being. If someone cloned me, the clone would be an entirely different individual from me who just happens to have the same genetic code. I'd be no more bothered by it than if my parents told me I had a twin brother that they gave up for adoption.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

A Metal Gear Solid plot?!?

Pulaski: "Tell me Prime Minister, how many of your people are clones?"
Riker: "Clones?!"
Pulaski: "Clones."
Prime Minister: "Clones."

And actual exchange in the episode.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Crusher gets her dumb rear end kidnapped by Space Palestinians because apparently being a doctor means abandoning all sense of self-preservation and rushing immediately after a terrorist bombing to treat wounded. Pulaski would have never pulled this kind of poo poo.

As a side note, apparently Ireland will be reunified in 2024.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rhyno posted:

They never slowed down on the actual Lego Star Wars toys. And it's still very unlikely that any Disney owned characters will appear alongside WB owned ones.

DS9 5x17 - Odo had sex with a lady and when she pressed him about how shape shifters have sex he made his shifting noise and she started moaning.

Deep Space Nine is DIRTY.

That's the sound of him releasing the chicken gumbo.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Yeah. Plus, it's presumably a pretty small black hole. Which wouldn't actually have any effect even if it was relatively close to Earth. It'd just act like an extra planet. But black. And hole-ish.

Small black holes evaporate quickly anyway.

An "extra planet" would gently caress up the orbits of all the other planets pretty badly.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Not really. Over the course of a few thousand years, maybe.

A blink of the eye on the cosmic scale!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I just love the fact that Guinan apparently has a direct comms line to the bridge, and she can call them up whenever she feels like chatting.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Deep Space Nine 6x22 "the Valiant."

Every one of these Red Squad assholes needs to die horribly by the end of this episode.

The worst part of that episode to me is how Nog didn't use his authority as an actual real officer (albeit a pretty new one) and order them to quit acting like retards.

loving cadets.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

He didn't even try though. I agree that it's in character for him and "good" in that context, but it's still frustrating as heck.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

Bajor is basically modern day Turkey.

I'd say more like post-Cold War Afghanistan.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Nazareth posted:

I usually hate the "evil twin episode" a lot of Western shows like to have. It's rarely done well and it's so tiring when they do it. However, I didn't actually hate this episode. I liked learning about Data's background. It was cool knowing that his creation was inspired by Asiimov. I also have a feeling that we'll see Lore again. I hope he sports a moustache.

I have good news for you.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Well, Picard and the crew made the right decision and allowed a human boy who was captured and raised by aliens to return to the only father he ever knew.

Immediately after the credits: Picard has to explain to an admiral why she'll never get to see her long-lost grandson ever again.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Time's Arrow makes me wish there had been an episode where they go back in time to stop Emperor Norton from conquering the world.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Don't skip anything you weak rear end babies.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

Conversations like "Please take that down, I'm going to throw up."

Chekov's ear is making me dizzy.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

remusclaw posted:

Except for Riker.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

DO you think Starfleet has rules of engagement for dealing with god-like beings? Like, step 1, make sure it's not just a sufficiently advanced technology.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The Loss is a great episode, it has Troi realizing that she uses her empathic powers as a crutch and she doesn't actually know how to deal with people without them.

...except that she magically gets her powers back in the end and doesn't learn anything from the experience. The End! No moral.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

The fact that they use telepathic and empathic aliens in an official capacity is such bullshit. They could just pretend you're lying and no one would know.

"I didn't do that thing you're accusing me of."
"He's lying, captain, I can sense it."
"Well that proves it, shoot him out the airlock."

My favorite thing is the episode where Data gets kidnapped by the collector guy. Troi being able to tell that the dude is lying would instantly resolve the conflict, but she's not on the bridge at the time so I guess everyone just takes his word for it and accepts that Data is dead with absolutely zero foul play.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I love the wrap up at the end of Identity Crisis. Hey, we saved Geordi from mutating into a feral alien creature, can we do anything for all the other folks that did? Nope it's far too late for them, just trust me on this. No point in even trying.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Eiba posted:

I was a pretty small child when TNG was first airing... and I have vivid memories of this episode and how utterly terrifying it was. I don't care how little sense it made, that scene in the holodeck where Geordi removes all the people and there's still a humanoid shadow is still one of the most fundamentally disturbing things to me, and I still sometimes have nightmares that feel like that scene, twenty years later.

Thanks Star Trek.

:same:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

HeartPlug posted:

When I first learned about Star Trek history I just assumed the Federation was the Vulcans' master plan all along, and their technology and diplomacy was just huge and eventually got overshadowed by loud brash humans who were their puppets.

I'm starting to get the impression though that Vulcans may be wise and mature but they're also really reserved and uninterested in the rest of the galaxy. The opposite of curious. Humanity's not their meatshield. Humanity's their bro of a college roommate who drags them along to parties and helps them make friends and maybe get laid once in a while.

Yeah you need a really good wingman for pon farr.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Knormal posted:

"Computer: Create a baseball team made up of history's greatest players."
*Team composed entirely of Joe Piscopoes materializes*

Somewhere there's a scrapped episode where Joe Piscopo gains sentience and takes control of the Enterprise.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I just noticed that Gowron has a clit on his forehead.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

disregard

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pakled posted:

First time viewing it on a non-SD TV, perhaps? :v:

I only just recently noticed that betazoids are supposed to have pitch black irises, for that exact reason.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The holodeck is actually a negatively curved 4-dimensional non-euclidian space. It's the only explanation.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The cold open for "Violations" is so bad. It ends with some dude looking to the side while sinister music plays. Why is sinister music playing? He hasn't even done anything! This is going to be a bad episode, isn't it?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

"Conundrum" is a great episode. The crew has lost their memories, and it's up to Picard, Riker, Worf, Laforge, Ro, and Commander Poopy Butthole to solve this mystery.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Just watched Schisms last night and it definitely takes the cake for "the computer can tell you that a crew member was abducted from the ship, but it won't alert you when it actually happens". I think that's one of the dumbest things about TNG for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ok so i can maybe buy that a transporter accident can turn people into children, kind of

but how do their clothes still fit them???