Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The Fifty Year Mission also has some quotes from the production office claiming she was asking for the same money as Shatner and Nimoy. Then again there's also some really catty stuff in that book from Deborah Arakelian (Harve Bennett's assistant, from what I recall) about Alley leaving the shoot to get her boobs done, which I'm pretty sure doesn't line up either, so it's probably all bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Sash! posted:

Sam Eagle is an ACTOR, not a muppet.

My favourite joke in Christmas Carol is when he's talking to babby Scrooge and goes into his catchphrase, and then Gonzo-as-Dickens has to jump down and stage whisper "Uh, Sam, the story's set in England" so he corrects himself to "It is the BRITISH way!"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

The bridge is the middle part, the Y around it is the conference room, ready room, and a bunch of stuff that was never on screen.

Yeah, specifically I believe the ready room is the bottom of the picture as shown, and the conference room is the back? Maybe the other arm of the 'Y' is an office for Chakotay? One nice thing in Lower Decks is Ransom apparently having his own little office

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
As much as the scenarios literally all being references in that episode bugged me, that one was funny, with Tendi's people pleaser tendencies meaning she's trying to apologise but also do what they want her to do. It does feel a bit like her pirate past should kick in in cases like that though. If there's a criticism of her character, it's that those 2 elements feel like they're totally isolated from each other. Like it's either a 'Tendi is so nice... maybe even TOO nice' episode or a 'Tendi is embarrassed of her past as an Orion stereotype' episode.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

FISHMANPET posted:

I think it was an improvisation, but it could have blown the mission because O'Brien would be like "yeah that's really loving weird I'm gonna talk to Sisko real quick"

Or even "I wonder what I did to piss him off, I'll call Commander LaForge and ask if he knows"

Geordi: "What are you talking about, Commander Riker is on the bridge right now?"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

davidspackage posted:

If you're going to have a different actor read the intro text, you should really just have them do it in their own way, not try to match the intonation of Stewart, it just highlights how they're not as good.

This is something it took me a couple of listens to get used to with Mount, but I now really like that he went a totally different direction with his read of it. It's not a pronouncement, it's quiet and thoughtful, like a guy dictating his memoir or something.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Beachcomber posted:

"Make our ship go."

"Mr Spock, I think that needs some work"

"Hmm, I will revise it for future attempts, Chris"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

No Luck Needed posted:

TNG treats every crew member as an ensign out of starfleet. TOS had crew man. Real navy and army have enlisted and commissioned officer. You graduate high school and enlisted, you are a basic crewman. You go to college you start as an officer. Miles was a lt. Junior grade same as Worf or Gordi. In my head-cannon he is promoted to lt. Full grade same as Worf and Gordi but TNG and DS9 writers are not military people

Also Ron Moore, at least, had some military background. He went to college on an ROTC scholarship.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Martok seems like a good barometer of what a 'typical' if possibly unusually virtuous Klingon looks like.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Picard S1 had a few little hints of expanding out tidbits of Romulan culture and worldview that could've been really nice if there'd been more of it and it wasn't overshadowed by the incredible stupid.

I actually liked the idea of making secrecy their 'hat'. It kind of makes sense given that they presumably have some of the Vulcan telepathic abilities, and a cultural response to that could conceivably be to value one's privacy highly. Didn't Diane Duane even do some of that in her books? Like the idea that Romulans have a private name for family and a public name for the outside world?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Ferengi generally have them in their ear canals. Starfleet has them in the badges.

But yeah everyone on the bridge and working on the ship is usually speaking Federation Standard, aka future English. Picard slips into French occasionally to get a swear past the censors.

Discovery also showed it being in the old flip communicators, which was actually kind of cool.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I do like the newer shows/films playing with the translator a little. Like the one Disco episode with the sphere, or the aforementioned one where Burnham uses her comm to translate to the Klingons, or in SNW when the comm officer has to tell Pike that 'Shepherd' is just how the UT is processing what the aliens call themselves. Or in Beyond, with the lady Edison sends to lure the Enterprise in.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I think Voyager has some really good episodes and not every episode of DS9 is great but it's absolutely crazy that they were airing an episode where Harry gets trapped in his Beowulf holonovel on the same day as Improbable Cause.

"YOU BLEW UP YOUR OWN SHOP, GARAK!"

God I love Rene in that episode.

The scene with the poisoner is great simple suspense too.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, episodes like The Most Toys were great bits of Data very clearly developing his emotions but not knowing it.

The ending of that episode is so good. Everything from Data deciding this fucker needs to die up to the scene with Rubinek in the brig is mwah

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mooseontheloose posted:

She does the same thing to Jellico in Chain of Command basically calling him out for trying to agitate a war.

I do like the beat where Jellico's laying out his plan to ratchet up the tension with the Cardassians and Riker says something like "He's pretty sure of himself, isn't he?", clearly meaning it as an insult, and Troi replies "No. He's not". It's a rare case of using her powers subtly in the narrative.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

zoux posted:

What was the bad thing

I think (BSG S4? spoiler)Dee's suicide is the big one for a lot of people, where from a narrative standpoint it just feels needlessly cruel in how it's done in the episode

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, '33' is literally Head Six pushing Gaius into swearing allegiance to her god and showing that he can be divinely punished/rewarded for his actions. People didn't want it to be religious so they pretend the obvious stuff wasn't actually about religion.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MikeJF posted:

I'm betting there's going to be a comment about how 'I always thought the original Enterprise was more cramped and plainer, this is really nice!'

Who does Mariner flirt with and why is it Nurse Chapel?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, the whole 'the arrowhead is only the Enterprise' thing was dropped so early in the franchise that I don't think it's even a valid nitpick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CainFortea posted:

I dunno, "One is my name, the other is not" is a pretty good data slam.

Also the main point of contention with that episode in particular isn't so much her interaction with data, so much as it supports her refusal to accept technology as the right choice instead of a personal failing. She's like a middle manager of today saying that people can't do their jobs remotely they have to come in and talk around the water cooler.

And instead of her going "hey maybe next time i'll just use one of the 10s of thousands of loving space sensors that can see a microbe 5 lightyears away, instead of going off of vibes" she's right and that's that.

The thing is, that burn is just Data pushing back on her disrespecting him, he doesn't push back and poo poo-talk her the way Spock would McCoy, so it still feels one-sided, even if Data isn't totally passive.