Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Greeting Classic Trek Thread! I come to you from the Modern Trek thread bearing a wonderful gift, this brand new EXPERIENCE BIJ gang tag

(admin approval pending)

We're currently taking volunteers on who wants one so we can continue to rip Lowtax off in avatar change money, so if you're interested, head on over to the NuTrek Thread and let esperterra know you too wish to EXPERIENCE BIJ!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

A couple dozen is the same as a million, right? That's how math works.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I always thought it was an allusion to Gaddafi, like how Gaddafi would constantly go on about how his official rank and title in Libya was just "colonel" because he wanted to keep himself humble. And also he was loving crazy, just like Dukat.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cat Hatter posted:

That's very similar to an exchange from Ties Of Blood And Water.

Sisko:
Still calling yourself Gul? I'm surprised you haven't promoted yourself back to Legate by now.

Dukat:
I prefer the title 'Gul' - So much more hands-on than 'Legate', hm? And less pretentious than the other alternatives - President, Emperor, First Minister - Emissary.

Sisko:
How about 'Dominion Puppet'?

Yeah, that was the exact exchange I was thinking of. Because that Gaddafi quote, or anecdotes about it at the very least had been around for decades prior that episode of DS9, if I recall. I'd actually heard the Dukat like first but it always stuck with me, and when I heard the Gaddafi quote on like CNN or wherever during the Libyan Revolution in 2011 I was like "Oh poo poo, he's Gul Dukat! :aaaaa:"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I wish Archer was a better written character because Scott Bakula just exudes likeable charisma and its crushed to dust under the weight of what a pigheaded weenie Archer is :(

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Yes. They even got halfway there with the episode where Archer and Trip play space lacrosse.

They really needed to do more simple weird fun space poo poo on Enterprise and take advantage of that whole "We don't know how deep space is gonna effect the ship and crew" thing. Like that one bit from the pilot where Mayweather's giving Archer the tour of the NX-01 and is like "Hey, check this poo poo out" and does a flip and winds up standing on the ceiling because there was something funky with the artificial gravity in that one part of the ship.

Enterprise, you could have been so great and yet :negative:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
:siren::siren::siren:ATTENTION BAJORAN WORKERS!:siren::siren::siren:

is now live on the forums. Go the Modern Trek thread quote this post by your gracious Gul esperterra if you too would like to EXPERIENCE BIJ!

Return to your normal duties.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HD DAD posted:

Not a model kit, but I’m usually consistently astounded by the Eaglemoss replicas. My big rear end die-cast D is proudly on my office desk.

They're not perfect by any means, but Eaglemoss puts out some really great stuff, yes. I don't normally indulge in nerd memorabilia, I think it's kind of weird and sad most of the time to be bluntly honest, but I broke down and bought basically the whole post-TNG/First Contact Federation ship roster over the course of last year and they look absolutely fantastic.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Fornax Disaster posted:

Sorry Dad, Councillor Troi broke the tv.

I love how Troi gets blamed for crashing the Enterprise when the exact sequence of events in Generations is literally "Deanna! Take the helm!" followed IMMEDIATELY by "Helm control is offline!" The gently caress was she supposed to do? Get out and push? :v:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I love that the Enterprise-E has a joystick. So fun. So stupid :3:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Ok, that one made me laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPHkeQ58_pQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Z3O9zHzkc

These are two of the best ones, for incredibly obvious reasons.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Astroman posted:

The way Kirk reprograms the simulator is far cooler in the book too.

I wish 09 had shown Kirk reprogramming the test first, because the actual KM scene in the movie is funny as hell. But it would have made Kirk's flippant arrogance feel a tiny bit more earned for that scene.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Alchenar posted:

I think that would have required a heist sequence to be worth it, which would have taken up too much of the film with something that's really only there as a WoK callback. I think there was a deleted scene where it's revealed that Kirk gets access through the Orion girl he's with in Uhura's quarters and I think that was rightly cut because it makes Kirk a really lovely person.

e: also 09 changes Kirk's character and the meaning of the test. In WoK the implication is that Kirk cheats because he wants to demonstrate he'll go a step further than anyone else to solve an unsolvable problem - that's why he gets the commendation. In 09 there's a little bit of a hint that that would be the outcome if the academic hearing wasn't suspended by the events of the film, but the implication of what we are shown is that Kirk cheats because he likes breaking rules.

The deleted scenes also show the same Orion girl getting sent to one of the ships that gets immediately hosed up over Vulcan, so it was doubly lovely in how it treated her until cooler heads pared it back.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Once I learned that Star Trek 09 was literally just JJ Abrams' explicitly stated demo reel to pitch a new Star Wars movie to LucasFilm with, I reached a kind of "okay, whatever" zen with it. Shame about basically everything he went on to do after that though, The Force Awakens not withstanding.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Maybe I'm just misremembering things then. All's I know for certain was that JJ's all over the bonus features for Trek 09 going "What I really wanted to make was a Star Wars movie," and because 09 looks, feels, and sounds more like a Star Wars movie than a Trek movie, well, if it walks like a duck... I dunno. But you're right, that sentiment has became a sort widely accepted semi-true cultural fiction.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Unmature posted:

There was a time where I LOVED ST09 and now I just remember some good performances and one or two fun quips which is what happened with most MCU films as I got older. Beyond still sits in my memory as a great movie though I’ve never watched that one not in the theater. Into Darkness is the worst film I ever saw twice in the theater.

I’ve been reading big chunks of old parts of this thread and I forget who recommended it but THANK YOU to whomever mentioned the audiobook of Q-Squared read by John De Lancie. Fiancée and I are halfway through it and we’re digging it big time. Gonna watch the Trelane episode tonight. Never seen it, but we’ve been sprinkling in the occasional TOS episode into our TNG watch through.

You should track down Spock vs Q, and Spock vs Q: The Sequel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kTlGmmU4ao

I listened to both of them years ago and they're funny as poo poo.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Unmature posted:

Does Discovery have any magic Q kind of stuff in it at all? Or are they too chickenshit for that.

Q's showing up on Lower Decks in the next few weeks. Lower Decks is also delightfully batshit insane. It is one giant Star Trek shitpost made into a TV show.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CPColin posted:

Your spoiler is without honor

He's in the goddamn trailer for the show :manning:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Payndz posted:

A real-life case of Kirk Drift, ironically.

It's like the Mandela Effect, but for nerds.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Vaguely Star Trek related--and Star Wars related too!--but Patrick Stewart and Mark Hamill did a bunch of Uber Eats commercials together, and while Uber is a massive abusive, predatory piece of poo poo company that you shouldn't give money, these ads are loving hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jtkuAVLdtA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkzLXZtu_Xw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2cSBtSdcE0

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Timby posted:

There is no way on God's green Earth that Mission: Impossible III is worse than M:I 2, the movie whose director had to be fired out of the editing room because his cut was incomprehensible.

Mission: Impossible 2 was one of those movies where I saw through the whole thing exactly once in a theater and I could not remember a drat thing about what happened in it aside from that stupid motorcycle joust climax that was in the trailer for it. I wanted to say that there was a reason why the MI film franchise went stone cold dead for like a decade before JJ fished it out of the water... but actually that just seems to be the way the franchise goes where there's like 5-6 years of dead air between films on average, so I guess it didn't really dent things as much as I thought it did. Huh.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
It means make the ship go so fast you turn into Zefram Cochrane

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Technowolf posted:

I think they talked about Warp factors greater than 10 a few times in TOS, but that was when it just meant 'go really fast' instead of trying to be some pseudo-scientific thing.

Also it's an as close to in-universe thing as possible that the TOS Warp Scale is some weird garbage thing that the Federation threw out circa the Enterprise-B or -C in favor of the TNG Warp Scale that only goes up to 9, like a country abandoning the Imperial system for Metric.

All Good Things' "Warp 13" doesn't count or matter because that was just Q loving with Picard. Also Andrew Probert is still pissed to this day about what they did to his beloved Galaxy-class in order to create the tri-nacelle Enterprise-D, which itself is just kinda :discourse:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Aces High posted:

started watching TOS on the weekend because I realise I've gone my whole life knowing of its existence, grown up watching the films but never actually taking the time to watch the series that started it all.

just finished Mudd's Women and, when considering the other Trek I have familiarity with being TNG and the first 1.5 seasons of DS9, it feels like Trek shows just cannot have a good start to a series. I think I liked The Cage the most of what I've seen so far (I know it's not much and it's nowhere near as dire as the first 6 episodes of TNG but still) but maybe that's just because it was bold enough to have a woman be the XO as opposed to being 22nd century secretaries and victims of abuse.

I mean, I get it, it's the 60s, times were different, but the episodes I've seen so far make it seem like the women characters are being written this way because the writers were pissed that they had to include women at all in the show

Things start to improve somewhat once they hire an actual woman to the writing staff, but yeah a LOT of TOS has an air of "What the gently caress, Gene?" to it, even when taken in the context of its era. Such as the final episode of the show that aired, where a female commander takes over Kirk's body so she can become a captain by proxy because Starfleet doesn't let people with ladyparts become starship captains. ...Yeah.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Sep 23, 2020

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SardonicTyrant posted:

Oh, I gotta check out Alias. I love schlocky spy stuff.

It's got some... wild quality swings to it, largely centered around brilliant or boneheaded story and casting decisions. Like hiring Lena Olin to be its main villain... and then sticking her character in a glass cell for an entire season and not allowing her to do poo poo all so she went "gently caress you then" and left the show. When it's good, it's amazing, but when it's bad, it's hilariously abysmal.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Sep 23, 2020

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

I actually love the idea that Q is just a Puckish illusionist who has literally no powers but making people see things and really, really believe in them. That really the whole of TNG was bookended by the showman's acts of a "flim-flam man"

I mean it would explain why Sisko and Janeway worked him over so easily :v:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
TOS was one of those shows where it was somehow both stupid expensive to make and yet looker super cheap for some reason.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Give me the abandoned Final Frontier animated series Enterprise-F, -G, or -H:

Ya'll motherfuckers want to talk about a Space VCR. THIS is a Space VCR.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Sep 24, 2020

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

8one6 posted:

In a universe that contains both Star Trek Online and DeviantArt this is still the ugliest starfleet ship design ever.

If I were in charge of a Star Trek show FIRST thing I'd do would be to hire Michael Wiley, or at least get CBS to buy all of his designs. That dude is like one of only 3 people so far who's been able to make legitimately good post-TNG Starfleet ship designs.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Sep 24, 2020

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I tried to put together a wishlist for Star Trek novels a while back but it all just got overwhelming. I think the only ones I'd really be interested in if I got down to it were maybe the Titan books, because I like Riker and the Titan is such a cool ship, and maybe the A Time To... books that cover what the TNG crew got up to on the Enterprise-E in the timespan between First Contact and Nemesis.

There's just so much Trek EU out there and it all crosses over with itself so much it's intimidating to try and delve into. Also the dubious quality of a lot of it, but that's a given.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Given all of the billions of things, they should really have a big user-friendly star trek universe site with all of the media and books and comics and a nice map of entry points and friendly links to make it easy to link it all together and pick starting places and give info, with links to vendors for books and ebooks for every one.

Or hell just pocketbooks could do it.

The Trek Collective did a massive mindmap of all the then-published Trek books and how they fit into each other's storylines, but it's... like I said, very intimidating.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tunicate posted:

Yeah, and the best fan films understand that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGiT3Z2TjP0&t=10130s

What....................

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

:ohdear: In any given circumstances, or does the situation have to meet certain parameters?

Picard routinely has Data gank people who piss him off. I'm sorry you had to find out this way.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HD DAD posted:

My Trek confession: when I first got into filmmaking in middle school, I taught myself how to properly format a screenplay by writing a hypothetical pilot for a new Trek show. I think it’s buried in a box somewhere, but I remember it was about three separate ships and I wanted each episode to focus on a different one, and somehow the season would tie all their stories together.

I’m pretty sure it was uniformly awful and I 100% based one of the captains off of Vegeta.

Captain! What do the sensors say about their distributor power?

IT'S OVER 9,000 GIGAWATTS!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
One of the parts I find kind of endearing about Star Trek III is just how cheap the Excelsior's bridge looks.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cat Hatter posted:

You could also straight up buy these at least in the US for a mere $159.95. I went and dug out one of my old copies of Star Trek Communicator from around First Contact.

But that's not why I went digging. From back when you guys were saying that the Enterprise-E should have had forward swept nacelles, that was almost what they went with until they decided it looked like a turkey.

Oh Eaves, you coward. I've seen these -E concepts before and yes, it DOES look better with the forward swept nacelle pylons.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kibayasu posted:

Generations pretty explicitly calls Kirk’s “retirement” a sham and Kirk coming to realize that.

I just wish the unseen woman in Kirk's cabin was Carol Marcus instead of some rando. It would have given that scene a bit more punch when you realize that he got a second chance to make it work with her and he still chose Starfleet over her.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HD DAD posted:

You know, I always wondered if the actors ever got a very skewed or even incomprehensible view of the series. Like, you’re filming a new episode every week, maybe with a reshoot for a previous episode stuck in there, and maybe you’re on set for one day because you have two lines in the entire episode that week.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the vast majority of the episodes during a season just ran together as a jumble of out-of-order scenes for people on set, other than the people who specifically needed to know each script back and forth.

One of the recurring things on the Delta Flyers podcast is Robert Duncan McNeill going "I don't even remember filming this" to SO much stuff as they go through each episode of Voyager on it. So maybe yes.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Unmature posted:

Hang on, so literally any time someone hailed the bridge of the Enterprise they could have just taken a screenshot and zoomed into the background and just totally bypassed their shields?

Also, excuse me, but the "HERE'S OUR SHIELD FREQUENCY, ASSHOLES" screen is in main engineering. Of course they're not stupid enough to put it on the bridge :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Unmature posted:

Oh I know that but I want to know the canon reason. Somebody no-prize why Picard looks like he’s in a freakin Halloween costume

This is what happens when you start a new uniform rollout and then suddenly the star you're parked next to loving explodes and rogue Klingon war criminals kidnap your chief engineer because your third officer installed a new OS improperly. poo poo gets hosed up in the checklist.