Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i don't think eggman would cheat on his boyfriend stone

did anyone else think the turtle gag was a reference to comic sonic's very first friend tommy the turtle or do i have sonic brains

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the joycons usually have really good rumble tho

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Dabir posted:

Forces is significantly better-made than Adventure or similar because you can actually play it from start to end. It's just that you wouldn't want to. It's just... it sure is a game that exists.

what the

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
to be fair, that's better than adventure going "oh you wanted your feet on the ground? too bad now you're in the floor try again next time"

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i played the first two game gear games this week and let me tell ya...

the first one is actually pretty okay? the physics are slow and kinda weird but i mean that makes sense since it's on a tiny screen. the level design is alright and the color palette is lovely, especially in the special zone. bosses are a complete joke but overall the game is really cute

sonic 2 game gear, however, takes all of that and throws it in the gosh dang garbage

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

sharrrk posted:

now play sonic blast

I've got blast, labyrinth, chaos, drift 2, triple trouble, and tails' adventure ready to go this weekend. dang there was a lot of sonic on the game gear

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Stink Terios posted:

Re: the GG games, should have played the Master System versions. Sonic 2 is actually playable when you can see in front of you.

eh i wanted to play the version that kicked my rear end as a child lol. but i don't think a larger screen would've fixed the bad level design, made the bosses fun, or made the hang glider mechanic good

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the movie coming out got me to do a retrospective of the series and honestly I'm looking forward to forces more than lost world if only for the character creation

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

J-Spot posted:

The first 8-bit Sonic game is pretty interesting. It feels like the team got a few notes but didn’t have much communication with Sonic Team so they ended up making something closer to Mario than Sonic.

for sure. first an autoscroller, then a vertical level with minimal speed, then a level you can basically skip if you find the hidden platform behind the start. it's a weird game but i liked it

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
gamma and big are real good but it's obviously beta mk2 and the unionising rail workers

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Stink Terios posted:

Please elaborate.

act 2 of sky base zone. there's a floating platform kinda hidden behind the start that takes you through a pretty chill sequence of slow moving platforms and the zone's chaos emerald. i have no idea what the actual level looks like lol

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Dehry posted:

SXSW was cancelled so whatever was planned for Sonic is probably frantically being rescheduled.

straight up embarrassing that SXSW took until the absolute last minute to do so

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
anyway sonic blast is absolutely hideous but i kind of love it??

retroarch's screenshotting is appropriately bad but get a load of this

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i just finished playing through the sonic advances + battle and despite some hiccups and unpleasant callbacks to GG sonic design, they were a good time! my main takeaway is that the GBA sonic artstyle kicks rear end, crossposting from my big sonic dump in gen chat:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

ArfJason posted:

doing advance sprite edits and gifs was my childhood

if I'd learned any of this stuff sixteen years ago i'd have 100% been making sprite comics

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i do like the idea of eggman bringing along a ring vacuum or something for boss fights, maybe hitting it could release rings it's taken

sonic difficulty hasn't ever really manifested via bosses for me, the only bad ones are stuff like chemical plant where you can get owned by tails or anything in game gear 2. the worst kind of difficulty imo comes from blind gotchas you could only ever react to if you're playing at 25% speed. or those pipes the gg games love where you blindly choose routes and four options drop you into spikes and one leads you to another pipe maze

both are common in game gear 2

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Zonekeeper posted:

Behold, the namesake of my "Zonekeeper" username that I've been using on the internet for 21 goddamned years:

So many wasted hours in MSpaint.

that's cute!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Homora Gaykemi posted:

I would want Amy before Shadow in a Mania 2 or whatever given that including her hammer would make her more distinct from Sonic gameplay wise than Shadow would be, and also because she's probably the only female character they would be likely to ever go for

I'd still be all for heroes rising again with playable Shadow though. Especially if they focused hard on his chaos powers to help differentiate him from Sonic

i just finished shadow the hedgehog (the game) a few days ago and really appreciated its attempts to tweak shadow's gameplay into less of a reskin of earlier 3d sonic. stuff like the karate moves, power meters, guns (they're fine!), and less of an emphasis on the homing attack. I wouldn't say those attempts necessarily worked super well, shadow is still the worst 3d sonic i've played so far, but it definitely wasn't nearly as bad as i remembered or expected

sharrrk posted:

ray and mighty were cool additions buuuuuut i really just want amy. let her have fun

this. whenever i make it to mania i'm gonna have to doubledip on the pc version for those sweet mods

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i played sonic rush last week and...i did not like it very much! despite having two screens of real estate to work with, it instead felt like the usual problems of handheld sonic were just multiplied. so many bottomless pits, blind jumps, and abrupt gotchas. boosting could be cool but never felt well utilized. blaze deserves better

moving on to sonic riders, which is really cool even if it's also really hard

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i know this is a verboten take but i don't like rush's music

riders though, that's some good racing tunes

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
sonic battle is really neat, it's just that story mode fights take way too long for their own good and unless you play perfectly then grinding up emerl points takes an eternity

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
amy's boxercise routines are canon

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
boom the cartoon was fun in small doses but i could never get over just how cheap the actual animation looked

secret rings is a neat game. i skipped 06 but this seems like a bridge between the mach speed sections of that game and the modern sonic boost stuff from the following 3d games. the motion controls don't really add anything but I'm having a good time. i just wish the main theme were better and also didn't play constantly...

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
sonic and the secret rings was about as frustrating an experience as i was expecting but more than that it was disappointing, because it could've been really cool so easily. the levels are all beautiful and the basic "go through the whole thing" missions are fun, but the controls just don't measure up

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
might as well update it to crusader kings 3

alternatively,

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Mr Phillby posted:

I've been enjoying Sonic The Comic The Podcast a lot recently its like my warm 1990s nostalgia blanket.

Is there anything out there like that for the Archie comics? I know about the thanks ken penders blog but I'd like a wider perspective on the whole thing. Like maybe not STCTP level hour long podcast on each issue obsessive but you know what I mean.

just read the comic, it's worth it

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I'm up to archie issue 74 and I'm sorry but i think mammoth mogul is incredibly boring

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

Wasn't Mogul just Kingpin by a pachyderm

he is immortal because when the first chaos emeralds impacted the earth in ancient times he was right there and one got lodged in his chest. he then spends every panel gloating about his plans while not actually doing anything until a very confusing story where he fights super sonic, hyper knuckles, and turbo tails and ends up turning into the master emerald

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
can confirm

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
happy new year sonic thread

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

ArfJason posted:

sega registered a new patent: similar to dragon quest xi's 3d and 2d mode switch, a setting that lets you change all instances of Eggman to Robotnik and vice versa.

cowardly

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

ArfJason posted:

sonic the hedgehog

i prefer running

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
all the things y'all are talking about still look cool, with the exception of sonic blast for the sega game gear

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

It doesn't help that it's by far the worst of the GG/SMS lot other than Sonic Labyrinth, either.

how dare you

sonic 2 is a dumpster fire

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
8bit sonic 2 has some of the worst level design in the series imo, the pipe mazes in scrambled egg zone are a nightmare guessing game. sonic blast is merely okay but ugly, labyrinth is a really boring execution of a silly premise, and most of the other game gear games are actually pretty fun

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Caidin posted:

As long as i'm thinking about this franchise have they given a reason for not putting out a notable Sonic title in the last 4 years or so?

we got the double whammy of forces and mania, then a racing game and olympics game, then we got a pandemic

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the problem with penders writing isn't that he's edgy, he isn't a lot of the time, the problem is that he's a tedious bore who will spend six issues hyping up a new character or plot point and then do absolutely nothing with it. he never resolves anything, just moves on to the next fake cliffhanger or inconsequential twist. also he's gross

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
sonic adventure 2's writing is almost immaculate, the only flaw is there isn't more of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Larryb posted:

Also the whole thing about redemption doesn’t really sound like Sonic to me (redemption for what exactly?)

I'm sorry, i wasn't fast enough