Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

Trump keeps screaming at war widows and declaring war on Constantinople
This won't stick, everyone call tell it's just Istanbull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mr Interweb posted:

Since emailgate will be back in the news for a bit, I have a question.

Comey said that although they have no proof that her server was hacked, they do seem to think that it's possible that the people she e-mailed got hacked. Assuming that's true...how exactly is that Hillary's fault?
Clinton is generally seen as responsible for the move to a private server, since she wanted to be able to more easily access her email on her Blackberry.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

botany posted:

newsroom owns
It's a bad show, do not encourage people to watch the Newsroom.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Took this photo today.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, but these days you're more likely to get randomly murdered because you're at the mall as you are to die because a militia bombs an MLK Day parade.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

sean10mm posted:

THE INTERSTATE SECURITY
Federal government intrusion

sean10mm posted:

INFRASTRUCTURE OFFSET
Pork barrel bridge to nowhere

sean10mm posted:

AND RECONCILIATION
The other side doesn't believe in bipartisanship

sean10mm posted:

ACT OF 2017
[36-hour filibuster to protest birth control funding]

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

A Winner is Jew posted:

It's this, and the Trump campaign knows it.
Butch Otter got re-elected by doing this. He had a credible Tea Party threat, so he got two fringe Idaho nutjobs in the mix. He presented himself as the establishment alternative to the generic far-right.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

But it produced the best debate you'll ever see. One of the candidates was a pro-LGBT leather-wearing biker libertarian.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

And yet that wasn't the candidate named Butch Otter somehow? :confused:
Right?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

What Trump is actually saying is "Khan isn't mad at me for what I said, he's mad that OBAMA and CLINTON are wasting his son's sacrifice by allowing thousands of terrorists into the country. As one of of the good ones, Khan of course supports all of my policies."

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

He's not saying Khan is mad that he's going to block Muslim immigration, he's saying Khan is mad because America isn't blocking Muslim immigration yet, like Khan wants. Read the statement more closely.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

This just in: Donald Trump statement completely insane, but not in the way you think. Will it affect his chances? Who knows anymore!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Somehow I get the suspicion this is not an honest post. I wonder what makes me think that?
This thread is racist. There was plenty of enthusiasm for the war in Iraq within African American and Latino Americans. People need to get out of their all white bubbles and realize that retroactive opposition to the War is just white privilege.

Hillary did nothing wrong.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Charlz Guybon posted:

Whatever you say about him, coward isn't the word I'd use. The Vietnamese offered to send him home when they found out he was an admiral's son and he refused unless the rest of the men in the Hanoi Hilton could come with him. He endured two more years of torture for that.
David Foster Wallace identified the paradox of John McCain really well in his essay Up, Simba. McCain is both a war hero and a self-serving career politician, and you can't ignore either part.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

You notice it's only European goons asking this. Australians have no trouble understanding how a country could be so wildly racist.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Periodiko posted:

I mean, can you imagine that? A "racist robber baron" using race to motivate poor working class people against black people against their own class interest? Golly.
Racism is not imposed from above. It can be exploited, but it isn't a consequence of the class system. Racism starts at home; it is a consequence of culture, family, media, and personal experience. Obviously there are intersections of race and class, important ones, but racism is not a creation of the upper class.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

A baby cries during a Kaine rally, he opens up his bag of wonders and withdraws a bottle of warm milk and a clean nappie.
A baby cries during a Kaine rally, he opens up his chest to reveal a thousand undulating teats from which the world's young may feed, slurp slurp slurp.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Rearrange the deck chairs all you want, but you're going to crash into the Hindenburg no matter what. Remember: Hindenburgs are biggest beneath the ocean, just like the silent majority.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

theshim posted:

Ugghhh I've spent too much time in the libertarian thread, I recognize so many of those names now :smith:
Yeah, and I'll bet you can name all ten commandments to the Declaration of Independence too, so what are you complaining about? Educate yourself!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

TheBigAristotle posted:

Does someone have a clever SA-style canned response to why Wolf Blitzer is in charge at CNN? He's constantly just terrible at his job.
Have you seen the rest of CNN?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

straight up brolic posted:

I wonder if the Morning Joe nukes thing is legit and why Scarborough has been sitting on that information so long if true. That's like, beyond the pale.
Because Joe Scarborough is a hack and an idiot. MSNBC aren't exactly a bastion of great reporting but Scarborough has been the worst thing about them for years.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

There's a lot more money and better hours in manipulating the news than reporting it. It's one big reason that news services like CNN are so bad at their jobs. Combine that with lots of pressure to be "unbiased" and America's inability to understand what that means and it's clear why the media handled Trump so badly.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

"Glass the Middle East" is a fairly significant opinion in American politics.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Who can run next time that would be even crazier? Duck Dynasty guy?
Look up a guy named Doug Wilson.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Now do one with Jack Donaghy quotes over Mitt Romney.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

bowser posted:

How long has the GOP base been so angry? For all the Trump hate I see from liberals there are very few calls to imprison or hang him.
Probably since Rush Limbaugh came on-air. You can find a pretty clear divide between the pre-Limbaugh and post-Limbaugh American right. Obviously the attitudes were there, but Limbaugh gave them a voice they hadn't had before.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

What is the precedent for a candidate coming back from this bad of a slump with 100 days to go?
2016, the year Donald Trump became president.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

greatn posted:

Do you think people might moderate after he dies? He's old, and there's no real replacement anywhere near as good as him.
No, there are a billion influential conservative blogs that serve the same purpose.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Donald Trump is a combination of every Bobby Moynihan character.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Violator posted:

I've seen a bunch of worried conservative posts saying basically "Obama is the most narcissistic, vain, and self centered President in history! But Trump might be worse!"

I know this is literal talking points they've been using for eight years, but where the heck does that view of Obama come from? I can't think of any particularly holier-than-thou comments that Obama has ever made outside of some trumped up quotes taken out of context (i.e., "Michelle said she hates white people!!!"). I really can't fathom how someone could describe Obama as either a narcissist or particularly self centered.
Narcissist is the only n-word remaining to them.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

SubponticatePoster posted:

:wtc: Did these idiots not know FLDS isn't the same thing as LDS?
There were a lot of clumsy attempts to attack Romney for his Mormon faith, mostly to try and turn off Evangelicals rather than appeal to the Dem base. I don't think they worked - regardless of anyone's issues with the Mormon church (and there are a huge number of legitimate ones), Mormonism is a. authentically an American religion b. An overwhelmingly white one (in the U.S.) and c. Most peoples' interactions with individual Mormons are pretty positive. So going after Romney for it never stuck.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

:laffo: gently caress Wikileaks, I hope Assange ends up in a northern European jail for eternity for rape. He and Brevik can bitch and moan about not having PS4s together.
I love when liberals suddenly come out in favor of brutal punishments for people they dislike, it's cute. Way to stand by your principles.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Madmarker posted:

I know she doesn't ACTUALLY write her own tweets, but preserving the fiction is a decent idea. Referring to yourself in the third person is a little weird. At least Madmarker thinks so.
I think they're making the right choice. You have to think about how people are likely to see this: retweeted on others' feeds. When someone is scrolling, you just want them to see "called Hillary 'the devil,'" not "called me the devil." You want to communicate as clearly as possible to people who aren't really paying attention.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Oracle posted:

good post/username combo
I'm a millennial with a journalism degree, so social media is a significant part of my job, because journalism is dead lmao

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Iron Crowned posted:

YOu know, I'm really going to miss Obama. He's truly a fantastic orator, but he's also natural at comedic timing.
He is not. Go watch his 2008 talk show appearances, on Colbert and such. Pretty stiff, not much of a sense of humor. He obviously learned over the course of his presidency, though. His later press dinners and such are funnier. I suspect having some comedians on his speechwriting team, like Kal Penn, helped with that.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

DoctorWhat posted:

I gotta imagine they're saving it for something big, like you do with the really good consumables in RPGs.
So it will never be used.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Casimir Radon posted:

Are the basement dwelling Snowden/Assange apologists still here?
Passive-aggressive driveby man, awaaaaaaay!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Look at it like this: at this point, having embarrassing poo poo in your internet history is so ubiquitous, the only correct response is to just not care.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

readingatwork posted:

This is true but misses the point. The bigger issue is that this kind of power is a recipe for abuse. Dick pics are just a useful example but he government could also use this info to do stuff like undermine political opponents or weed out union activity on behalf of well-connected corporate interests. There's actually a LOT to be worried about.
I wasn't being serious, although I do suspect cultural attitudes around things like celebrity sex tapes are going to change. Obviously that doesn't justify wild unaccountable government surveillance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I don't believe for one second that Friedman thinks about his empty-rear end rhetoric long enough to actually mean anything.

• Locked thread