Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

My partner at work just cited the 'fact' that Obama 'applied for student aid as foreign student' (Snopes shows it was an april fools article in 2009) as evidence that Obama is not a citizen. And also posited that the former constitutional law professor hasn't 'read the constitution either' (along w/ the donald, I guess).....

It's 0830 and I've got 10.5hrs left....lord gimme strunph....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Litany Unheard posted:

Cokie Roberts was on NPR yesterday claiming that the Khan thing won't hurt him because Trump is immune to controversy and that we're all doomed. Trump broke a lot of brains.

Tbf, this is the first controversy that has even remotely lingered.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

:captainpop:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

He should've chosen Fiorina for his running mate, so they can invent videos together.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

theflyingorc posted:

Speaking of Trump's Taco Tweet...

I've seen multiple instances from Conservatives on Facebook saying "See, the Democrats are the REAL RACISTS" because of the E-mail where they used the phrase "taco bowl engagement" to mock Trump.

I was told on FB the other day that Democrats are the real racists because we want to keep minorities in 'virtual fiscal slavery.'

Yes, not wanting poor people to starve is really a ploy to keep minorities on the dole. :rolleyes:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I'm legitimately starting to think he's going out of his way to throw this election. No one could make this many gaffes in a row on purpose. He can lose in a landslide and say the election was 'rigged'. His base will eat it up, so he will save face there--and he will avoid his 'dog catches car' moment.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Zwabu posted:

I think the whole issue of microcephalic babies is going to be a test of the GOP hard line on abortion.

Fat chance. They'll double down and force people to accrue hundreds of thousands of medical bills caring for their terminally ill and suffering ~*~BlEsSiNgS fRoM gOd~*~.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Samurai Sanders posted:

The only lesson I'm getting from this election is that an ignorant blowhard rear end in a top hat virtuoso like Trump can still get like 30-40% of the country behind him. I'm never going to look at the average guy on the street in America the same way again.

If you weren't already looking at most people with a combination of amusement and disgust you are hopelessly naive and late to the party.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Popular Thug Drink posted:

south carolina just has a lovely government that hates raising taxes to pay for basic services. you immediately know when you've crossed the state line because the roads are instantly 100% better

It is staggering how bad our roads are. Sarajevo '94 bad. Fallujah '04 bad.

We have labor laws commensurate with Bangladesh, so we pay large multinational corporations hundreds of millions of dollars in tax breaks to throw low-wage laborers into their capitalistic meatgrinder and destroy our infrastructure without liability.

Oh, and all taxes are bad. We have the lowest gas prices AND the lowest gas taxes in the nation--but the second a gas tax increase is proposed Koch Bros fueled tea party groups spring into action and torpedo the gently caress out of it.

It really is a wonder.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

If SC flips I'm going to ejaculate like a geyser.

It'll never happen though. This state is loving insanely stupid. Like Florida Man stupid, but it applies to men/women/children.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

SC will not flip. But the idea of it warms the cockles of my cold, dead heart.

We are the dumbest state in the union. Full stop.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Unzip and Attack posted:

Your best play is just to egg them on about it as much as possible beforehand so that when Trump loses, you'll have something to hold over them for a long time to shut them up when they bring up politics. "Oh yeah like that time you thought Trump would win and he got demolished?"

The one thing conservatives hate more than anything is losing. Use that as a way to make politics as painful for them to talk about as possible.

I was working election night in 2012 and my uber-conservative, painfully christian partner was convinced that Romney was going to landslide Obama because of the 'silent majority of hardworking christians' or whatever.

By the time they called the race he refused to even talk about the election anymore. He was 'bewildered' that America would 'vote against its best interests' twice in a row. :ironicat:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

So what is it that allows Trump and Pierson to literally say completely inaccurate things--debunked by general, everyday knowledge, mind you--without so much as a blip among his supporters? Its ridiculous and infuriating how little regard these people have for basic competency or knowledge.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

nachos posted:

Wasn't there a graphic posted here about how terrorism and the national debt are basically white people problems? Meanwhile blacks and Hispanics care mostly about racism, police, education, etc. I would love to see more data like that.

Well, they're definitely white people problems considering we don't have to worry that much about being shot dead by a police officer for the offense of being black.

I don't think it'd be possible to pretend to care about those things when you're living under a de facto occupying army of 'peace officers.'

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

E Pluribus Awesome!

:ughh:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Btw, gently caress anyone trying to justify this EpiPen madness. I've got scores of knuckledragging troglodytes on my facebook feed blaming "YOUR GOVERNMENT" for making it compulsory in schools and quoting Econ 101 textbooks about supply and demand.

For-profit healthcare is ironically killing this country--both literally and financially. The sooner we realize and remedy this, the sooner we can stop stressing ourselves into early graves.

But special interests have convinced low-IQ voters that healthcare has to be extraordinarily expensive and that multibillion dollar, multinational pharma and insurance conglomerates really do have their best interests at heart and certainly aren't killing them for marginal stock gains...

Jesus, gently caress this stupid country. Right in its Larry the Cable Guy watching rear end in a top hat.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Shifty Pony posted:

It isn't that it costs significantly more to make a non-CFC inhaler, it is that you have to get every formulation approved by the FDA and that costs a poo poo-ton and takes forever. That limits the number of competitors in the market leading to those that are there charging gently caress-you prices. You'd think that the high prices would incentivize other manufacturers to get in but they don't because they know that the existing manufacturer can drop prices at will as they already made back the FDA costs.

The FDA is really gun shy about generics and especially for drugs with particular delivery mechanisms. There have been several cases recently where a generic has not worked like the name brand because of a seemingly inconsequential change. For example a particular generic sustained release Wellbutrin actually released the drug in a matter of a couple hours instead of over the course of a day.

Which really just proves that pricing is artificially inflated and set only at the nexus of maximum pain for the consumer and maximum profit for the company.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

You can have for-profit healthcare with heavy market restrictions, you know.

I do know this.

I also know that instead of allowing the wild-west of misery-profiteering, sane nations heavily subsidize, regulate and cap prices so that their citizens aren't being robbed at gunpoint when they're the most vulnerable.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

WampaLord posted:

I'm so sick of this pearl clutching bullshit. Just accept the fact that 40% of the country is poo poo and will vote for literally anyone with an R next to their name.

I'm sick of the shock and appall that Trump will lose, but not by enough. If Trump loses 60-40, or even 55-45, the message of the election won't be "Oh wow, Trump did pretty good there" it will be "Hillary wins in landslide, Americans reject Trump."

loving deal with it, or go get a couch to faint on.

It is depressing that there is such a heavy undercurrent of white supremacy in this country, and it isn't 'pearl-clutching' to feel that way.

I think most progressive folks accept that there is institutional racism (police, education, criminal justice, etc.) and 'a lot' of racist people in this country--but mostly I think pre-Trump we all kind of assumed this was a rapidly fading vestigial arm of conservatism.

But to actually see 40% of our country so apathetic toward outright racism and xenophobia, charged by ultra-nationalism....it's really, really sobering.

I'd like to think I wasn't totally naive before, but he's totally pulled the hood off nearly half our nation and it's ok to be shocked by that.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Boogaleeboo posted:

It's not 40% of the country. It's 40% of people that vote, at best. In reality it's like.....10% of the country that is probably that poo poo.

That's still 1 in 10 people, and not great.

Granted--I'm not sure we can whittle it to 1/10 with any meaningful extrapolation. However, the people that vote are the ones that will decide this thing, so functionally we are talking about 40% of the people driven enough to vote will, without a hint of remorse, vote for an amorphous blob of occasionally-contradictory and divisive policy positions.

If that isn't cause for concern, I don't know what is.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Ok so we're concerned, now what? In many cases these die-hard R voters are actual close family members of people in this thread, and even they haven't been able to change any minds. You can't reason people out of opinions they didn't reason themselves into. We can criticize and mock them, but they're going to vote that way until they die. All we can do is try to raise sane voter turnout to outnumber them, and odds are looking pretty good for that this year.

I actually agree with you, particularly the bolded. My parents are squarely in that group, as well as my father-in-law and his lady.

I'm not necessarily saying there's something else that should be done, but we should probably be concerned that what we viewed before as 'fringe' is more mainstream than we could've feared. It's not wrong to be shocked by that, and it probably should redouble our efforts to educate and increase voter turnout. It's not pearl-clutching to think this is eye-opening.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

WampaLord posted:

It makes you seem naive.

Perhaps. I mean I work public service (EMS) in the deep south and happen to be surrounded by racist shitheels day-in and day-out. Even so, his traction surprises me--and has basically drained my Belief In Human Decency Reservoir--which was already catastrophically low.

Not to dredge up the fight of a dozen pages ago, but it's mostly blue eye-opening. White people are finally seeing what the rest of us have been talking about all this time, and for that I'm almost thankful to Trump.

Fair enough.

Like I said above, I'm surrounded by it all day, every day--but in places where I expect it. When I see how absolutely mainstream it is and how much license he's given these people to be publicly horrible, I can't help but feel a little concerned and ashamed that most of us have underestimated its prevalence.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 26, 2016

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Maybe you could turn the reservoir into a nice skateboard park.

:respek:

Why does Trey Gowdy look like an extra in There Will Be Blood now?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Iron Crowned posted:

I work with someone who calls Toyotas "tojo cars," I wish I was kidding

I bought a Tacoma many years ago and my coworker was like "I WISH I STILL HAD MY BUMPER STICKER THAT SAID 'I'D RATHER EAT poo poo THAN DRIVE A JAP TRUCK.'"

He was 34 or so in 2008, unironically calling them 'japs.'

The truck was manufactured in California.... :shrug:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I love how all these white supremacist 'warriors' are just tubby bags of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Niton posted:

As an addendum, I believe that many people who claim themselves to be Atheists actually mean they're Agnostic - people who believe that the existence (or lack thereof) of God is unknowable.

Unknowable and irrelevant, because its pretty obvious that even if god exists, he doesn't really give a gently caress about the wellbeing of mankind.

• Locked thread