Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Nah, they were $14.99 MSRP. PS2 memory cards were $24.99 MSRP, though.

In retrospect, the PSX's pricing schemes were pretty odd, since it was the first time that the MSRP on software went down across the board. Most games were $34.99-39.99, with Squaresoft games selling at $44.99-$49.99. It was one of the big reasons that the PSX had such a huge lead over the N64, since N64 games were $59.99+, with the Greatest Hits-style rereleases being sold for the "bargain" price of $39.99, as opposed to the PSX's GH line being $19.99.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Ineffiable posted:

Yoshi yoshi yoshi.

Yoshi.

Wow, racist much?

Mods?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

kirbysuperstar posted:

This is a really dumb thing to say in this thread, in this subforum, on this website.

They're right though

there's also raw anime to consider :nyoron:

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Instant Sunrise posted:

Is there a decent consensus about which model of Genesis sounds the best or is it a subjective "the Genesis model I had as a kid is the best sounding one?"

Or did I just open a can of worms by even asking this?

A launch aka "High Definition Graphics" unit, or a VA6, both are model 1 variants.

The HDG is easy to spot, and a lot of people prefer them (not me, and i'll explain) because they have really loud bass compared to every other Genesis.

The VA6 is a bit harder to spot, but easily recognized by the flat panel of plastic where the EXT port used to be near the AV/PSU inputs. The VA6 has properly mixed sound (the HDG's bass is actually mixed too loud, causing distortion), and stereo audio through the headphone jack is cleaner than on most other models (on an HDG, turning the volume slider up to more than around halfway causes it to crackle).

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

If you have a Harbor Freight nearby, their store brand heat gun is discounted to like $8 all the time.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

SWEET BRO AND HELLA JEFF: THE CARR GAEM

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

The Everdrive 64 v2.5 is $107 though :confused:

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Kid Fenris posted:

When it comes to old merchandise, I wish I'd seen this ad back in the day.

I didn't even like Fatal Fury that much, but I would've had a blast circumventing the "one per person" rule to build an army of little rubber figures

On the subject of games you can't complete, a strange glitch in the Lunar: The Silver Star Story Complete demo can render the final game unfinishable. If you remove Alex's ocarina from his inventory in the demo and then carry over your save to the full game, you can't get past a climactic moment some 20 hours into the story.

http://www.lunarthreads.com/viewtopic.php?t=5526

Why the gently caress don't I own a Terry Bogard M.U.S.C.L.E. guy

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

re: screen settings/color adjustment:

If you have a Lucasfilm DVD (Star Wars or Indiana Jones most likely), then you can just use the THX Optimizer for perfect color balance settings.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

dishwasherlove posted:

Whats the best 'end of life' game to showcase the Genesis' ability? Monster World IV?

Gunstar Heroes

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I bought a used XBox about 10 years ago, and the HDD contained nothing but Madden, NCAA Football and Halo saves, and ripped Van Halen songs.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Holy poo poo, I didn't know that SMS controllers shot up to $25+ each. I have a dozen or so of them, in all 3 configurations (side cord, top cord with and without threaded joystick port on the dpad).

I should probably offload them and buy a new PC with the proceeds :v:

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

You knew how to tell the Kool Kidz* from the losers in high school during the late 90s by which name they used for this gentleman:

*huge dorks

its not HERCULE you loser its MR. SATAN JEEEEZ

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

signalnoise posted:

, along with a Hatsune Miku full size controller

gimme it

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A what?! I gotta see pics of whatever the hell this thing is. What's it for, anyway?

If it's a full-size statue of Hatsune Miku, one that acts as a controller for a game no less, it's no surprise people will paythrough the nose for one.

It's basically a Pop'N Music controller, except the button layout is + - + instead of 4x5, and it's for the Project Diva games, of which each one is 3/4 incredibly fun rhythm game and 1/4 embarrassingly cringeworthy dating sim.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

In Training posted:

There's no dating sim elements in the Project diva games

So the DIVA Room doesn't exist in the copy of Project Diva F 2nd that I own?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

mods change my name to BOBSON DUGNUTT

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Virtual Hydlide owns because it's basically Dark Souls LARP: The Game

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

drrockso20 posted:

Since someone brought up Rayman, what would you guys say is the definitive version of the original game?

Jaguar

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

If Twin Goddesses doesn't show up on Saturday Morning Scrublords within the next month, i'm gonna be pissed. I know that Matt, Pat and Woolie are all goons, so the chances of one of them reading this thread is pretty high.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

al-azad posted:

I'm going to assume this is your first Game Sack episode so let me preface by saying it's the most "dad" retro show. They make inoffensively bad jokes spoken in an almost deadpan cadence and even have an episode where they rip on themselves for being boring compared to other energetic youtube reviewers. The comment was sarcastic and they totally roll their eyes with that poo poo.

Allen Wren just needs more MEGA POWER

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I have Mario Paint in both cartridge styles. I wonder if anyone's started chronicling a list of which games had both the old and new shell variants?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

"Atari isn't really historically relevant and nobody cares about them"

- half of this thread, 2017

:psypop:

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

The XBox version is the one to play, especially since it's 360 compatible, which i'm assuming means that it's also Xbone compatible.

It's also the best Bioware game. disagree & ill fite u after school

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Ofecks posted:

It's... beautiful :swoon:

e: To add to the Atarichat from the last few pages - I don't think the "Golden Age of Arcade Games" really holds up. Sure, Space Invaders, Donkey Kong, and Xevious were really good games (hence their popularity), but on the whole from 78-83 the games are unplayable, unenjoyable jank. I put forth the notion that 85-94 is packed with great arcade titles (from every genre, even) that are still playable today, and is the "real" Golden Age. Much like the Atari issue, I think this might also be an age thing. And the fact that I'm not fond of maze games.

Yeah, Galaga, Burgertime, Pac-Man and Frogger are loving trash, right?

what the gently caress is wrong with you

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I've heard that Earthbound sold ~900K copies, and there were reportedly 1.5M produced.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

The PSX/PSone doesn't do Component output at all, you'd be better off getting a PS2 with component cables and playing PSX games on it.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Is there some kind of detailed ranking of Terriers I should know about?

E: Also, is there some kind of detailed ranking of Tetrises I should know about?

1. Game Boy Tetris/Nintendo NES Tetris
2. Tetris Plus
3. Bastard Tetris

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

OK, everyone needs to just watch this video about GEMS and Genesis music production.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEvnZRCW_qc

(Long story short: bad Genesis music was due to laziness, mostly!)

Silhouette fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Aug 24, 2017

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Phantasium posted:

Yeah they work fine just as standard memory cards without working batteries, you're just going to hear the trademark beep every time you turn the system on.

That's the Dreamcast saying hi :)

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Turbinosamente posted:

Don't forget what comes after the beep guys, the whirr of the fan spinning up. Then it's grind grind grind. That is the full Dreamcast start up sound.

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP

whoooosh doot doo doot dee dee doot dah

ERRNT VWEET ERRRNT ERRRRNNNNNT VWEEET ERRNT VWEEEEEEEEEEEEE

HEY HEY COME ON OVER AND HAVE SOME FUN WITH CRAAAZY TAXI!

^ THAT is the proper full Dreamcast startup sequence :v:

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

If your Dreamcast doesn't sound like some kind of sci-fi jet engine, you should be concerned

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Tree Dude posted:

What should I expect to pay for a PS3 these days? My launch one took a poo poo in 2013 (I know because I was playing Ni No Kuni) and I've always planned to get another one at some point.

You can get a 500GB top loader for under a hundo if you shop around. I highly suggest the top loader, because they use less power, run quieter, and have far better cooling/ventilation pathways than the fat and slim models. Plus, they're slightly smaller than an original PS2, so you don't have a loving monolith taking up space on your shelf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

You can breeze through FF Mystic Quest in about 8 hours.

• Locked thread