Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

spectralent posted:

I ended up looking into the "some other region conquers the world" counterfactual again, and the most recent argument I've seen is that the western world was involved in more warfare than the rest of the world; is that true? I would've thought the middle east and india at least were on par.

sounds like some Victor Davis Hanson poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

spectralent posted:

Reading up it's almost certainly this guy's arguments I hit on and also jesus christ that loving guy.

His early stuff about hoplite warfare was actually really good, in my opinion. I think 9/11 broke his brain because since then almost everything he puts out is about how The West is inherently superior and garbage like "mixed-race cultures are doomed to fail".

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Just kind of skimmed through it so far. The section on Russian views of informational warfare was particularly interesting imo.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Phobophilia posted:

Is it? Really? I find the idea of only a bunch of random amateur greek farmers being completely untouchable in a melee with effete east completely unconvincing. And the description that only the greeks had heavy infantry sounds like nonsense, considering phalanx warfare was pretty well developed in the post-Babylonian kingdoms, and the latter had a sophisticated economy and bureaucracy that could supply the equipment and professionalization.

I decided to google it, and stumbled on a reddit thread that shits on that fucker.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/42isht/how_is_victor_davis_hansons_work_on_greek_warfare/

No, I'm not referring to any of the "why the Greeks were the best" stuff. I mean the things he's written about the actual mechanics of Greek vs Greek hoplite warfare, the types of people who may have fought as hoplites, his theories on why that style of warfare may have developed in the context of Greek agriculture, etc. That stuff is interesting even though I don't necessarily agree with all of his conclusions.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

WoodrowSkillson posted:

that thread calls out a lot of that stuff, which parts specifically are you curious about?

Oh, sorry if I was unclear. I'm not curious about anything. I was giving those as examples of VDH's early stuff that I think is good/worth looking at in contrast to his more recent works which tends to be progressively more racist and lovely overall.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I believe the second invasion of Hungary is because the Mongols were demanding an alliance, and in return for that alliance Hungary's army would be used as the spearhead for an invasion into the rest of Europe, and Hungary said "nah"

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

What was the last battlefield casualty due to an arrow shot from a bow?

Some guy in the British army had confirmed kills with a longbow in WW2. He also carried a claymore around.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Black Leaf posted:

He was also very hairy and carried ammo for Polish gunners.

Wojtek is cool too.

I found the wikipedia page of the guy I was talking about : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Churchill

quote:

In May 1940, Churchill and his unit, the Manchester Regiment, ambushed a German patrol near L'Épinette (near Richebourg in the Pas-de-Calais), France. Churchill gave the signal to attack by cutting down the enemy Feldwebel (staff sergeant) with a barbed arrow, becoming the only British soldier known to have felled an enemy with a longbow in the war. According to his son, Malcolm, "he and his section were in a tower and, as the Germans approached, he said, 'I will shoot that first German with an arrow,' and that's exactly what he did."

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

OneTruePecos posted:

How is this a word, German language? It's OK for "inflammation of the oral mucous membranes" to be a phrase, it doesn't need to be one loving word.

Seems pretty simple to me.

Mund - Mouth
schleim - mucus
haut -skin
entzündungen - inflammation

A lot of German words are just combining multiple words to describe something else. Baumwolle is cotton, for example, and the literally translation would be tree (baum) wool (wolle). Or the word Krankwagen (ambulance) which is Krank (sick) and Wagen (wagon/car/cart) combined.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
ahhaha

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Peasant levies and professional soldiers are two different things. If I remember correctly, crusader armies were typically knights and their professional retinues. Due to a lack of food, water, and other supplies, they tended to lose a lot of horses anyway, so their infantry was mostly dismounted knights/other soldiers.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

JaucheCharly posted:

Crossposting:

Extremely bad rear end.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
i don't like that dog

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I think the 442nd Regimental Combat team is an example of true badasses and heroes, and they remain relatively unknown to your average American.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Tevery Best posted:

I'd say at least a hundred years. The Romans were absolutely notorious for how much they disdained everything that was new, so unless you could somehow claim gunpowder was invented by Archimedes or someone equally ancient, they'd just scoff and tut-tut for about a century.

this is pretty much the opposite of what the Romans are known for (when it comes to the military, at least)

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

glynnenstein posted:

Does anyone know if there are accounts from the Union soldiers who garrisoned the DC area during the ACW? Diaries or collections of letters or even contemporaneous memoirs that address the narrow topic? Even a chapter in a larger book might be cool.

I realize this is super niche, but it ...uh... seemed like a good time to ask. My family's home is in a development on one of the campsites in Virginia and it would be cool to learn more. Other neighborhood kids were able to dig up buckles and other artifacts but I never had any luck with that.

Since you're looking for local stuff, you might have some luck reaching out to local historical societies/museums. Off the top of my head there's Blenheim in Fairfax county which is sort of interesting on it's own, but I'd imagine the people who run it might have some recommendations for what you're asking about.

quote:

Historic Blenheim is a central-hall plan brick farmhouse built by Albert Willcoxon (c. 1859) just prior to the Civil War (1861-65). It is nationally significant for the voluminous quantity and quality of examples of Civil War inscriptions. More than 122 signatures, pictographs, games, and thoughts were left on the house walls by Union soldiers during their occupation of the Fairfax Court House area in 1862-63. This "diary on walls" provides insight into typical soldier life and extends to the effect of this war on local residents--such as the Willcoxon family--and free and enslaved people of African descent.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
My maternal grandfather was Nisei and served in the army (but never talked about it at all) while his family was interned by their own country. I can't say I'd have done the same. All he ever said about it is that he felt he had to prove he was American and loyal.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Ainsley McTree posted:

Wait, are you allowed to shoot uniformed medics?

By “allowed” I mean under the ROE, not reality

No, you're not supposed to. If I remember correctly, medics in the Pacific theater often painted their crosses green because the Japanese would ignore the rule and specifically target medics.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
VDH wrote a pretty interesting book that profiles Epaminondas, Sherman, and Patton and how their unique approach (for the time) helped decide the conflicts they were a part of. I think that was in the late 90s and I think 9/11 broke his brain because since then he pretty much only writes about how The West (AKA: straight white men) is so great and everyone else is bad compared to the straight whit - I mean, Western Civilization.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Ainsley McTree posted:

Related to that, why did armies wear white uniforms during the musket days (or others; musket Times is all I’m familiar with)?

My instinct is that the idea was to reflect a pristine and professional appearance with a crisp white uniform, but surely that image had to fall apart as soon as you wore it outdoors once, much less fought in a battle with it or wore it on campaign for months at a time. That flaw must have been apparent to them at the time too though, so maybe I’m wrong about the reasoning.

Synthetic dye wasn't invented until the late 19th century so until then you're using natural dye and that's more expensive than just giving you troops some undyed stuff. World powers could obviously afford to grow the plants necessary to dye their stuff or buy what they wanted.

Dye is a pretty interesting thing in general. Purple is the color of royalty because it used to be, to make purple dye, you needed to kill these specific snails so they'd secrete some juice, and each one was only good for a drop or two of dye. You'd need literally tens of thousands of them to dye a cape or whatever. Also they apparently smelled loving awful.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 16, 2018

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Tias posted:

I am not even being snarky when I say USA does not qualify for 1st world status in any metric except military.

lol

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
welcome to Mega World

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Single combat between champions comes up in tons of stories in Europe from antiquity through the early Middle ages in works like The Illiad and The Song of Roland. The Romans in particular have tons of stories about generals who distinguished themselves by killing the enemy commander in single combat, and stripping the armor off a defeated enemy champion and was basically the most prestigious honor a commander could get aside from a Triumph. Even though many of these stories are semi-legendary/mythic, it pops up so much that I tend to believe it's based in some nugget of truth.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I'm sure being shot by a bullet is worse in most ways, but from a psychological standpoint I bet seeing an arrow sticking out your body is more shocking and terrifying in the moment

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Geisladisk posted:

How were levy soldiers in feudal conflicts motivated to fight? For the past couple of hundred years, at least, wars have been rationalized and "sold" to the people fighting those wars with nationalism, ethnicity, religion, or idealism. Most people aren't terribly interested in killing other people, so it is pretty important to motivate them to do it.

But what about wars between feudal lords purely motivated by personal gain of the lord?

For instance, during the Sengoku period in Japan. You are a peasant living under Lord Whatever. He is warring with the Lord in the next province over, Lord Whomever. You are forced into his army as a rank and file spearman. It sucks. The guys you are expected to try your hardest to murder speak the same language as you, are of the same ethnic group, have the same culture, and live only a few days' walking distance from your house. They might as well be your cousins. You have no ideological beef with them whatsoever, the only thing separating you is that a different but identical guy claims ownership of the land you live on.

How would you be motivated to fight and kill these guys? Would the war be "sold" to you at all? Would the enemy be dehumanized at all? Was it simply a matter of "it is your duty, do it and shut up"? If so, were you likely to take that duty seriously?

You kind of touched on it, but without the concept of nationalism, the people from "only" the next province over (this is a huge distance to a peasant who may have spent their entire life in a ~10 mile radius of where they were born) might as well be aliens - even with the same culture and language. Totally imperfect example, but it's the first thing that comes to mind to describe the animosity - sports rivalries. Obviously the circumstances are much different but think of English soccer hooligans brawling with each other. London has 12 teams so in many cases these guys are from the same drat city and they have no problem beating the hell out of each other over a game. Much lower stakes than "these guys are coming to take our land". Again, not a perfect example, but it's not necessarily difficult to motivate people to fight each other even when you share the same culture.

As others have referenced, the bigger motivator was probably the potential for plunder. In Sengoku era Japan if you managed to kill an enemy samurai and presented his head to Lord Whatever, you'd be rewarded monetarily, regardless of status. Typically it was the guys who are already samurai collecting the loot, but common foot soldiers occasionally accomplished the feat and were rewarded or even made samurai. It was a big motivator for a lot of ashigaru. Famously, Hideyoshi started out as a common soldier and he ended up briefly unifying Japan.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Trin Tragula posted:

He was specifically referring to English hooligans and London in particular though

Ya and I also said it wasn't a perfect example.The point was that people who share the same culture and language, from a geographically limited area, are still willing to fight over nonsense and that motivating a peasant from Province A to kill peasants from Province B may not have been as difficult as we imagine. I can change the post to say South American soccer hooligans if it offends your pride as an Englishman or whatever it is you're upset about.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
British people are just NPCs for our brave American heros to kill in the beginner area

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Why didn't the USA ever gently caress around with armored horse cavalry?

Small standing army, no real tradition of heavily armored horsemen to cling to, and until relatively recently, North America was heavily forested which obviously isn't ideal for heavy cavalry. Once we expanded further west into the plains heavy cavalry was also not ideal or necessary for the kinds of things the US army used cavalry for, which was primarily fighting natives in small-scale skirmishes and patrolling vast amounts of territory. Light cavalry/mounted infantry was all that was really needed.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Ainsley McTree posted:

Now I have an idea for a sci-fi book for an alternative future in which the USA and USSR have a short space battle and shoot loads and loads of projectile weapons at each other, and one of the bullets or slugs or cannonballs or whatever, traveling infinitely through the forever vacuum of space, kills an alien 200 years later and starts an interplanetary war.

Like all my brilliant sci-fi ideas, this is probably a) already an asimov short story and b) scientifically wrong in one thousand ways but don't tell me because I will not listen

200 years later an alien is smoking outside at the, uhh, space bar, and his head explodes and all his buddies are like "what the gently caress?"

~*fin*~

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
The bullet slingshots around the earth and hits a Russian in the face. Turns out those fuckin commie freaks were aliens all along. Lets wipe em out, boys

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
the "legs" on the spider helm are hinged so they can be folded up or down so that, uhhh...sometimes you don't have to have the bars in your face I guess. I think it was a cavalry helmet so it was probably so they could show off their pretty rich-boy faces to everyone without taking the helmet off entirely.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
no

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Have you considered that swords are cool

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

zoux posted:

We take a state history class in 7th grade, do other states require a state-history course or is it just our insane ego

We had state history as a focus too (don't remember if it was an entire class), but I grew up in Virginia so that doesn't seem unreasonable to me considering it's importance from colonial times through the Civil War.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

bessantj posted:

Hope this hasn't been asked.

During medieval warfare what would happen to soldiers that were badly injured but on the winning side and survived? A soldier that had a broken ankle for example.

For your average soldier, camp followers take care of them or his buddies carted him over to a monastery. Monks/clergy generally had a bit more learning. If you're a knight, your squire (and you) would probably have had some basic medical knowledge. Enough to dress a wound anyway. People weren't totally ignorant about medical care and battlefield medicine, but there were very few professionals.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Yeah it doesn't hurt to have a bunch of dudes who can't actually fight very well stand around and maybe intimidate your enemy into going away due to numbers, and hey if that doesn't work maybe some of those guys will get lucky and kill a few opponents or distract them while your actual fighters do their job.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Tree Bucket posted:

I'm trying to imagine being "grazed" by a cannonball. Surely that would mess a human being up in a variety of ways.

at the very, absolute, least, its gotta be one hell of a bruise

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I've been told if you speak "correct" Russian you'll actually sound like a Ukrainian but I have no idea if that's true.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Had a silly drunk argument with my friend the other night that perhaps you can settle for us. I live 5 miles from Capitol Hill and he lives 5 miles from Naval Station Norfolk: Who is more hosed/dies first if the US is ever in a nuclear war?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

ilmucche posted:

It was really loving boring and repetitive and I much preferred carnage and culture, though I think that has its own issues.

That's putting it lightly