Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

HEY GAIL posted:

These people are not heartless--they just don't know as much about medicine as we do, and in many cases they don't have enough resources. And given the way surgery progressed, with centuries of slow advancement until the late 19th century, my hot take is that a well-trained, experienced 16th or 17th century military surgeon is probably among the best you can get until the beginning of antiseptic surgery. Possibly the best--in contrast to the mid 19th century, the great surgeon Ambrose Pare believed that an abdominal wound is not an automatic death sentence. He recounts saving several people whose intestines he sewed up, and regarded it as a delicate thing but certainly not unusual.

That or you go all the way back to the Romans for the best wound care prior to antiseptics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

zoux posted:

No whistle? Is that a modern thing or is the popular conception of artillery shells whistling as they fall fake?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca9HXAoV7Zw

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

For those saying you hear "nothing" i think the video i posted shows you certainly hear something as artillery lands near you, just not the high pitched whine from movies.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

The Dreyse needle rifle as well, which also had the added problem of putting the primer at the base of the bullet. Somehow nobody thought "Maybe we shouldn't have the firing pin surrounded by exploding gunpowder?"

That was to provide reliable detonation of the charge though, since these were earlier primers and not as effective. It's not like it was hard to get new firing pins, you just gave every soldier some spares and replaced them as needed. Weren't those also paper cartridges as well?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Jamwad Hilder posted:

No, I'm not referring to any of the "why the Greeks were the best" stuff. I mean the things he's written about the actual mechanics of Greek vs Greek hoplite warfare, the types of people who may have fought as hoplites, his theories on why that style of warfare may have developed in the context of Greek agriculture, etc. That stuff is interesting even though I don't necessarily agree with all of his conclusions.

that thread calls out a lot of that stuff, which parts specifically are you curious about?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

FAUXTON posted:

They'd literally never get off the ground if they were propelled by their wheels but goons gonna goon.

but no plane is propelled by its wheels, hence his point. i am sorry sir but is you who is the goon in this scenario.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

HEY GAIL posted:

yeah when i was a child i was into, i guess you'd call it the "high point" of world war 2, Nazi Germany at the height of its powers, all the cliches are there, and now I'm most interested in countries/armies as they either begin or fall apart.

i think it's that when you're very young the sheer impressiveness of the big cliches are what push themselves on your mind, and then when you gain a further understanding of complex systems you can appreciate the beginnings or endings of things

I think deep down, all of us are fascinated by attempts to conquer the world. When i was young i was fascinated by Nazi Germany as well, even did a paper for my like 7th grade history class where I talked about the Whermacht. It would probably count as Wheraboo today but I was just going off the books in the school library. As I got older and could grasp the Holocaust more than "a lot of people got killed cause they were Jewish" that all went away, though the fascination will never entirely die. I think the same thing exists with the Romans, and the Mongols, and the British Empire.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

HEY GAIL posted:

inflammation (and picking at it) makes microscopic traces on the bone

loving cut your hair off what is wrong with these people

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

SeanBeansShako posted:

Even if they cut their hair, which they did if they wore wigs the lice would just infest their head gear and return to their home skull with ease. Also, Barbers were minor surgeons and Dentists too and rarely around, if they weren't busy assisting the regimental surgeons with more important matters.

So don't wear the wigs and give the lice less places to live come on people

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

As the opposing pike block enters into engagement range, a louse crawls into the man's left eye

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

aphid_licker posted:

Are they that mobile? That's mildly terrifying. I thought it was bedding/clothing/body contact only.

No, they die in like a day without a human host. Literally one cure is just shave your head and just stay away from poo poo that touches your head for a few days.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

For the longest time, if you didn't wear something on your head, it meant something was wrong with you.

yeah, lice.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

where is the my little pony

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

Karl from InRange and Forgotten Weapons sometimes gets accused of being a Nazi or Wehraboo, but I think it's just because he likes to wear some German WW2 stuff when filming. All of the videos he and Ian have done that actually touch on politics have shown both of them to be sensible and far more left-wing than most other gun nuts.

I think a guy in TFR said he knows Ian personally and he used to DM their D&D games, so he's as much of a nerd as you would expect from looking at him.

They wear period appropriate stuff all the time, so it's falls into that whole "decent person doing a kinda dumb thing but it's not really all the bad so ehhhhhhh" category I just made up

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

I've played some regular airsoft quasi-roleplay games that take place in a sort of Man in the High Castle universe where Germany won WW2 and occupied the United States. The German forces are just supposed to wear regular camo patterns (depending on which "division" they're in, like the SS Charles Lindbergh Division is in gray or urban camo and the Fallschrimjaegers are in woodland camo or solid green).

And then there's the guys who show up in period accurate SS uniforms from head to toe, carrying an airsoft MG 42 between them.

i actually just took a quick look and could not even find one of him in WWII german clothing, maybe like a jacket once. WW1, Old west silliness, Finnish, British, and various other period wear but did not see any Nazi stuff, so if he even did its like once or twice and part of a bigger context.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

FAUXTON posted:

*crashes a Chinook into an Osprey*

3 more marines died in an osprey crash yesterday

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Hazzard posted:

That sounds like an argument for more statues rather than less fewer statues. I would also be interested in knowing how famous Mosby and Longstreet are. I recognise Longstreet's name, but know nothing about him and don't think I've ever heard of Mosby. I just keep pronouncing it to rhyme with Oswald Mosley.

Both have extensive wiki articles, but in short, Longstreet was possibly the best commander in the war, Lee's second and "old war horse." Mosby led a guerilla cavalry group that successfully caused no end of problems for the Union in Virgina throughout the war. They are 2 of the most successful and effective southern commanders, but get glossed over because they are useless to the Lost Cause types.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

The attempt by an enterprising individual to turn the Enfield into a semi automatic rifle by bolting a load of gubbins to the side of the gun which automate the bolt cycling process, would qualify if not for the infuriating fact that it does actually work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U682yOpNafg

Still wasn't taken up because it wasn't judged necessary and I don't think it would have been taken very seriously. And also it requires a bunch of extra steel bits to be stuck on it in order to prevent it from taking your fingers off or putting your eye out while firing, turns out putting all the guts on the outside of the gun isn't the best idea!

This owns in every way

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Pharmaskittle posted:

Why are Gurkhas so prominent in crazy heroic war stories? Are they really overrepresented, or is it like an orientalist thing that they get fixated on more than other folks?

Same reason Sikhs have the same thing going on, they have maintained a warrior culture into the present day and that over represents them for this kind of poo poo cause they are all about it.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

HEY GAIL posted:

acw correspondence indicates "kick rear end" is a hundred years older than we thought
http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2017/10/10/the_phrase_kick_ass_was_discovered_in_civil_war_correspondence.html

i knew already that "wicked" for "cool" and "crib" for "home" are from the 1840s, but i didn't know about Private John B. Gregory and his desire to kick rear end.

I feel like that sentiment is mostly timeless, and without any actual academic background im going to state a direct corollary has been being spoken since tribal days.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Most modern dress swords are at least in the same shape of either smallswords or cavalry sabers of some kind, both of which are perfectly serviceable weapons. Especially against opponents not wearing armor. Older swords, the "classic" design like arming swords and viking swords etc., were designed to deal with opponents likely to be wearing leather or chain armor of some kind. Plus there was just less knowledge in general of how to optimize a blade.

Smallswords and cavalry sabers came about after the flintlock musket and socket bayonet largely drove armor off the battlefield. Once that happened, if you were fighting on foot, speed mattered a lot more than anything else, so shorter and lighter was the way to go. You wanted just enough blade to stab someone in an important place as quickly as possible, and no more. Cavalry sabers were heavier, but again the goal was different. You needed enough reach to hit a man on foot from the saddle. You also needed enough weight that if you hit someone in the head, it would kill them without the blade breaking. After that, again, speed was more important than power, and lighter was better.

By turn of the 20th century they really were useless in combat though, and just became a symbol of authority. So naturally they started being made out of cheap, light metal, with the look being the only thing anyone cared about. The design is fine, but the materials and build quality suck. They'll just break if you try to use it in combat seriously. You could probably get away with stabbing one guy who didn't expect you to do it; even a steak knife works for that. A steak knife is a good comparison for the quality of most modern dress swords, actually. Unless you spend a stupid amount of money to get a combat ready blade for some reason.

On a side note, the katana stuck around in Japan for cultural reasons, but it also turned out to be a nice balance between the factors driving smallsword and cavalry saber design. A small sword is quicker, but a katana is almost as fast and has better reach. A cavalry saber is harder hitting and tougher, but the katana is a bit faster and heavy enough. For the brief window where Japan was modernizing their military and carrying a sword into combat was a reasonably good idea, the katana was a good one to have. Of course, they kept issuing full up combat ready blades well into the Second World War, which was a gigantic waste of time and quality steel.

I wrote all this before realizing I was behind on the thread, and I don't care care I wrote this poo poo.

This has a lot of misconceptions on the military use of swords.

Arming and "viking" swords were not poorly designed due to lack of knowledge. To do the job they were intended to do, they could not be designed much better. Access to steel was the normal limiting factor, not blade design. Armor, and shields dictated the design of swords, and you see less handguards since they were meant to be used with shields and/or gauntlets, so they don't have the hilts you see later.

Smallswords were rarely used on battlefields in the 1700's when they were popular. They were rather specialized dueling weapons, intended to be used against another man with a smallsword. They were a way for people to carry a weapon, signify they were ready to defend their honor, and do so, without carrying around a rapier or broadsword. In nearly every way they are a civillian weapon. If they were the only sword you owned, or if you really preferred them, they were indeed carried on the battlefield.

In the 1600 going into the 1700s, most soldiers were using rapiers or some form of broadsword. Broadswords are not much different than a medieval arming sword, with a big and protective hilt for the hand. Armies at the time then militarized the smallsword into the Spadroon in the later 1700's. They were basically a larger, heavier blade attached to smallsword style hilt. They also were not around very long as they were replaced by sabers after the Napoleonic wars in most countries.

Broadsword

Smallsword

Spadroon.

Starting in the Napoleonic period, you have most armies standardizing on a combination of Spadroons for infantry and Sabers for cavalry. During and after the Napolenonic period, you see infantry officers switching to some form of saber. The word saber also starts just meaning "sword" at this point as some of the blades were indeed curved and look like "sabers" while others are nearly to perfectly straight and could be mounted on one of those broadsword hilts and you could not tell the difference. The below 2 are just 2 models, with all the countries using various degrees of curve, size, length, weight, etc depending on their own doctrine and theories. You can go from relatively small, light swords to big heavy shopping blades to essentially a rapier balde on a saber hilt by the time you get to the patton style sabers in the 1900s, which were basically intended to be used as short lances, not as cut and thrust swords. Also light and heavy is still between a general weight range of like 1.5-2.5 lbs.

British 1796 light cavalry saber, one of the most popular swords made at the time.

British 1845 Infantry officers saber

Throughout this entire period swords were being made to work at their job. They were not just barely strong enough to hit someone and not break. While standard issue swords varied in quality depending on time, place, model, etc, in general they were intended to be used in combat, and were used extensively in various battlefields around the world. You keep saying "speed is more important than power" and I'm not sure what you mean.

A sword of the time needs to be strong enough to parry a bayonet or swung musket butt, long enough to work as a sword, and depending on design, needs enough weight to generate force at the point of impact, to facilitate cutting. The very late swords like Patton's were thrust only. Smallswords were not a good mix, hence the Spadroon, and those still were not good enough, hence the shift to infantry sabers with more developed handguards and robust blades.

As for the Katana, they are surprisingly heavy, they have relative short blades, around 30-32 inches, and weigh about 2.5 lbs

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Rockopolis posted:

I'm just disappointed that the IJA didn't take the concept of the sword bayonet to its logical conclusion and issue a bayonet that made the rifle into a naginata.
If you're going for ridiculous warrior spirit gimmicks, don't half-rear end it.

They put bayonets on LMGs, they tried man.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

FAUXTON posted:

Imagine being on a horse and having to stab at people with that Patton one as you rode by, instead of slashing, as you would with all those other ones curved for that purpose. Even assuming the Patton saber was phoneboothed 50-100 years backward so that you'd have some kind of actual application in a regular order of battle, depending on which of his past lives Patton was channeling at the time.

You'd fall off your horse trying to get a good stab in, or you'd get the drat thing hung up in someone's ribcage/foofy uniform bits and get dragged off your horse. Maybe it's designed for more of a melee situation where you aren't all that mobile and/or are already dismounted and complementing it with a carbine/pistol?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMNKLFn41IU

here is a drill video from back then showing how you use it. It is specific motions to allow the dudes body to slide off your sword without that happening. you can also look up tent pegging to see one of the ways how they drilled lance use.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Fangz posted:

When it comes to swords, I defer to Matt Easton... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bee71tYERBw

anyone who as watched his videos knows my sword post above is a condensed version of poo poo i learned from matt easton and sources he recommends lol

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

HEY GAIL posted:

this looks to my uneducated eye like everyone's trying to get to the sweetspot of the late 16th century cut and thrust sword, just a lot shorter this time (because let me tell you, rapier blades blow for a bunch of things)

Yeah, its their weird progression where you pretty much had a very refined designs for one handed cut and thrust swords in either the rapier or broad/backsword, and then it shifts into this middle period of smallswords and spadroons and then to sabers which are far more like backswords than anything else.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

yeah and the thicker, beefier types you can get away with in battle if you are good, but man i would not want to be trusting that to stop a musket swung at me by the barrel

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

HEY GAIL posted:

Shorter's better on horseback

Cavalry swords are normally longer than infantry ones though, they were also heavier, since protracted engagements were relatively rare. You could certainly fence with them though, and some officers contracted for swords that were closer to cavalry ones than anything else, but in general the infantry officer's ones were more optimized for actual hand to hand fighting.

When you go further back to knights/armored cavalry, they all carried really short maces or axes for fighting each other, since if you got your horses next to one another, you wanted something short to be able to hit the other guy if he was grabbing your reins or whatever.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Comrade Gorbash posted:

There's also the weight. Light cav trade the lance for greater speed, dragoons swap it for rifles or carbines or other gear.

As for bringing back the cuirassier, why mess around with real horses instead of building a robot horse?
I do not think a lance changes the speed of a horse. Light and heavy cavalry are distinctions based on role and equipment more than actual speed once you are not discussing armored troops.

edit: There were even light cavalry regiments that were also lancers.

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 18, 2017

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Comrade Gorbash posted:

This was mostly the Germans right around the turn of the century, I think? The Germans had issued a lance with a rolled steel tube for a haft that was only about 4lbs (I've seen a couple different numbers but they're all under that; it might have been closer to 3lbs). Everything I've read indicated most them got rid of the lance as soon as they could once the actual fighting kicked off, and it doesn't look like they carried sabers, based on the photographs I have and can find.

Scratch that, some did and some didn't. Found some photos with German cavalry with lance and saber and it's listed as part of the kit. But there's also photos where they definitely don't have the scabbard on their saddle where it's supposed to be.

A lance weighed about 6lbs in the Napoleonic period. I do not believe that changed anything in terms of the range or endurance of the horse or rider. The entire distinction between light and heavy cavalry starts falling apart in the 18th and 19th centuries. Even most heavy cavalry stopping using curiasses besides a few groups, Napoleon obviously as the major proponent of them.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Normally dudes picked much smaller and handier weapons for trench raids, here is a video on the topic by war thread favorite ian mccollum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIGIBJeRfnQ

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

HEY GAIL posted:

poland-lithuania, motherfuckers

the winged hussars are the dopest cavalry in history don't @ me

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

HEY GAIL posted:

goons with spontoons

goons with spadroons

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

no

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Comrade Gorbash posted:

The armies of the Roman Republic are great for this. Particularly the period where they were at loggerheads with Carthage and the Greek colonies on Sicily. They lose battles a lot more often than they win them, but end up winning the wars because they just raise another legion and try again.

Do you mean the first punic war? It is a legendary example of both sides fielding incompetent leader after incompetent leader, for an entire decade.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Comrade Gorbash posted:

The 3rd Century in general, really. Rome won those wars but they're generally not noted for inspiring generalship or combative prowess, not did they have decisive outcomes.

It's less that Rome was bad at war and more that they were just decent at it, punctuated by occasional bouts of sheer idiocy. What makes it really interesting is that ancient states with that profile usually get themselves conquered or at least have their political administration overthrown, but the Roman Republic always managed to raise one more army to stave off disaster, and then grind their way to at least a negotiated peace.

Wait, which wars did not have decisive outcomes? The third century BC is when Rome became a world power. In the Third Samnite War Rome conquers most of Italy, ends the Etruscan confederation, and subdues the Samnites until the Social War. After that they conquer Magna Grecia and effectively defeat Pyrrus, and they are not clowned on by him in regards to tactics or anything. The First Punic war sees Rome gain Sicily, Corsica, and Sardinina. The Second Punic War sees Rome invade Carthage itself, and force concessions which see Rome now control the ~half of the Iberian peninsula, and completely kicks Carthage out of everywhere but North Africa.

The First Punic war is a bunch of idiots doing stupid rear end poo poo like trying to siege a coastal city without a blockade, but it is on a neutral field mostly, with both sides one-upping each other in regards to stupidity. That culminates in the Battle of Tunis wherein a Roman general gets utterly outmaneuvered by Xanthippus, a mercenary Greek general, who is then in turn run out of Carthage fearing for his life by jealous Cathaginian nobles.

The only periods wherein the Romans were winning via attrition was during Hannibal's invasion in the Second Punic War, and when they defeated the Germanic invasion of the Cimbri and Teutones. In both cases they absorbed losses that indeed would have broken most states, and suffered from poor leadership in the initial periods until they got their poo poo together.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

HEY GUNS posted:

isn't that back when they elected their war dudes? renaissance florence tried that and renaissance florence BLEW at combat

Yeah, the Consuls were both heads of state and the 2 primary generals. Though effectively a whole bunch were career military men who then spend X amount of time doing politics in between campaigns. The Romans essentially linked their military and their political offices, and the only way to have legitimacy in politics was have a successful military career. Even Cicero did his time in the legions because he has to have that resume to have credibility in the Senate.

It did lead to an immense amount of shenanigans, as dudes towards the end of their terms would do all kinds of stupid poo poo to avoid the new guy getting credit for what they did, which saw many Roman armies blunder into battles they should not have because the Consul was more worried about his own career than being smart.

They also had other generals that held other offices as well. Governors of provinces, Proconsuls (former Consuls given a 5 year period of governing power over a region), and various other offices were also the military commander in a region, functioning as the General of that army. This happens later in the Republic as earlier on, you only ever really needed 2 armies at once, and when really pressed they would get former Consuls or whatever to help out.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Guys, muskets are infinitely superior to nearly any other type of distance weapon. There is a reason drat near everyone abandoned whatever else they were using in favor of them as soon as they could, outside of rare instances like horse archers or whatever that prevented it. if you give the Romans matchlocks, they will have pike and shot in about 5 years since pikes are literally all over the place and they just need to figure out how to keep the musketeers safe from cavalry.

We've mentioned this before in the Rome thread, but my opinion is gunpowder and its production are one of the only real things you could just magically drop into history and see it take off. Bronze cannons and artillery were used right the way through to the American Civil War, and if you showed a general you can just make a bunch of bronze into a tube and shoot dudes way further away than arrows and catapults reach, they are on that in an instant.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Tevery Best posted:

I'd say at least a hundred years. The Romans were absolutely notorious for how much they disdained everything that was new, so unless you could somehow claim gunpowder was invented by Archimedes or someone equally ancient, they'd just scoff and tut-tut for about a century.

But 50 bucks says they'd then immediately jump to small-unit loose formation skirmisher tactics in the Napoleonic light infantry model.

That's not how the Roman military worked at all. They adopted the Gladius from the Spanish. Mail armor from the Gauls, Hoplite tactics from the Greeks, Cataphracts from the Persians, and they changed from Hoplite warfare to the maniple system after fighting the Samnites

they might come up with some weird distinction where only slaves or plebians or whatever use the muskets, but those are getting used immediately.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Comrade Gorbash posted:

On a pedantic note, I'm not sure the Romans would have developed pike specifically, mostly because there's a reason they didn't use it or an equivalent in actual history. At least, not until well into the Imperial era. There just weren't a lot of effective cavalry forces they had to contend with, and the scutum and gladius worked better against the kinds of forces they did fight. They'd probably keep those for their heavy infantry.

I agree that the bigger question is who they'd give muskets to. Pre-Marian reforms, they'd be an obvious way to improve the effectiveness of the velites, especially since the way the velites were used is pretty close to early gunpowder tactics anyways. Post-Marian, it's hard to see them handing them out to auxiliaries, so I'd guess they'd effectively reconstitute the velites from regular legionnaires.

They used Hoplite phalanxes until the end of the 300s BC, and then fought Macedonian successor states for hundreds of years. They never even got rid of the Triarii until the Marian reforms at the end of the 100s BC. They were also allied with states using pikes. The concept of "put the guns behind/between the dudes with long spears, like those ones littering the eastern half of the empire" would not take long to figure out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Siivola posted:

Heyyy guysss it's the t h r e a d f a v o u r i t e youtuber!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DaMACz1FrM

Hell no I didn't watch it.

Matt Easton owns though