Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hunter Noventa posted:

Is there a pile of DLC like there was for V? Because I had fun with that and need to know if I have to buy another SEA PSN Card Code while I wait for my physical copy.

Yep. Same exactly deal. A bunch of bonus scenarios which unlock items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Welp, I kinda had to buy the English version after hearing that. Congrads on getting to officially translate a SRW!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

I am wondering if X actually plays any different/better than V; trying to decide if I want to play a SRW if I should get X or actually get back on V.

It's basically identical. I'd go for whatever one has the series list you like more TBH.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FYI, first mistranslated SR point I found is in the Black Mightgaine stage. The point is "defeat Black Mightgaine with a Smash Hit" not "Black Mightgaine defeats an enemy with a Smash HIt."

Edit:

This is the funniest goddamn joke in the game.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Apr 27, 2018

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zore posted:

So uh, how are you supposed to get the SR point for Chapter 17? No one has Soul or Valor yet and even Banjo with his best hit critting supported by Valguard only gets the stupid skelebat down to about 5k hp.

Am I missing a gimmick here?

Make sure to surround the enemy and also use Analyze. Remember to use Xelguard's Shield of Palas Dogma if you have it to debuff the enemy's armor further. Make sure your morale is as high as it can go. Use anything that buffs damage. You can do it unupgraded (I did it with the same two you mentioned after doing all of the above.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Apr 28, 2018

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-Ge9D9W60s

I am exceedingly pleased this was an option. (SRWX spoilers but only for one of the anime bosses.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CaptainRat posted:

If you don't put the Extra Arms on Catherine the instant you get them you are an enemy of justice.

I love the Extra Arm so much. There are so many units it benefits in hilarious ways.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Prism posted:

What is the Extra Arm? I don't remember a part by that name in V.

It sets the strongest attack a unit has to 5500 damage (unless it's higher in which case it does nothing.)

This is super useful for a lot of units but largely the mook units that only have a few attacks because it turns what is usually a cheap/spammable attack with lower power into something super powerhouse. The Gratin is an obvious choice (5500 is more damage on Charge than it gets even fully upgraded) but a lot of the G-Reco units for example benefit strongly because they only have two attacks and the second is usually something spammable as hell.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

wokow6 posted:

I have been enjoying the game so far (15 chapters in), and I got to say I like how Iori is more engaged with the overall plot, in contrast to V. Soji just seemed to be a tagalong who worked with Nine, and was often the butt of jokes. I like the dynamic he brings as the sort of guide to Al-Warth, and isn't afraid to get involved.

His dynamic with Spero is interesting in that while they have the same goal, there's a bit of a personality conflict between the two of them that isn't just fueled by one of them being a complete poo poo-head. Though, Spero has also been giving off some ominous vibes and lines for a while. I'll wait to see how that develops.

I also really like Wataru, and how his good-naturedness seems to rub off on others, including Ange. No one wants to disappoint this kid, and he honestly does feel like the center of X-Cross.

Using Wataru as the focus was really clever because Wataru is an everyman JRPG protagonist type and by making him the 'hero' and allowing the original to be in the know and informed and aware of things they help sell them a bit better.

I also just genuinely like how Xelguard's thing is being a supporting robot. That isn't to say it can't deal out huge amounts of damage but its biggest advantage isn't damage but in making other people deal more damage. The Dogmas are a fun system that really helps make it feel distinctive and useful without just giving it bigger numbers.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

Unless the Hi Nu has Amuro-locked attacks, putting someone else in the Hi Nu is almost a given because the Nu Gundam's best attack is locked to Amuro and the unit loses a lot of power without it.

Yep. The Hi-Nu is better for anyone BUT Amuro unless you're not planning to deploy anyone in the Nu at all. (And considering Hi-Nu inherits Nu's upgrades that's a pretty big waste unless you're benching all your Newtypes.) It's the same deal as Sirbine, not having a designated pilot attack means it's more of an upgrade for a previously underequipped side character.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

Is Ple 2 playable?

Yes, though she joins pretty drat late in the game. Honestly the best 'free' Newtype you have for a huge chunk of the game is Mashymer

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's so weird to me that the Cross Ange team gets in in full but the Buddy Complex lancers besides the main three are an attack.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Levantine posted:

So which units are super broken this time around? Lots of new units from V and I'm not sure who is good at what. I half upgraded Xelguard immediately, then Cybaster. Beyond that, who is worth my early game resources?

Incredibly strong units:

Vilkiss is still insanely strong.
Cybuster has an absurd MAP weapon and good all-game damage.
Dunbine carries its upgrades over to two other units (though one joins early) and all three are rather solid.
Mazinkaiser/Great Mazinger are durable and strong.
Gurren-Lagann is Gurren-Lagann.
The Guren Seiten is weaker than it has been before but still exceptionally strong. Ironically on Expert mode it ends up coming out ahead of a lot of other real robots because Kallen's weird defensive spell set works in her favor there because she can tank through.
The G-Self is a bit similar in that Bellri's weird focus-lacking spellset but defensive focus works in his favor. G-Self Perfect Pack is an absurd unit with a fantastic MAP weapon.
The N-Nautilis is basically this game's Yamato except arguably more broken.
Dahack, of the G-Reco units, is surprisingly solid. It only has two attacks but one of them drains energy and with the upgrade bonus it drains energy every time it attacks. Stick a good pilot in it and it can counterattack forever.
Nightingale has a fantastic map weapon and is an overall solid NT use unit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ethiser posted:

I just had a big scene with Char where Amuro said the phrase "That's classic Char." This game is pretty good.

And now Kamille is making fun of Char for his slicked back hair!

Seriously my favorite exchange in the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Senerio posted:

What units are worthwhile to focus on if I didn't get the preorder bonus?

Right now, my main focus unit is Amari as the protag, but I'm also training up the protagonist suits and the G-Arcane and Grandis because I like them. Is the Arcane Anti-Ship gun actually useful for fighting battleships or should I just give up on her? I'm about to start chapter 6 for the record.

So the thing with the G-Arcane is that you have to kind of play it a bit differently from most units. Aida is basically the only person who can use it properly because she has a 10 SP "Charge" spell which makes any attack post move. You basically want to use that to get her into sniping position and then have her support attack the hell out of everything. Once you ace her she gains charge for free every round she's above 130 morale (trivial to do) which is very helpful. Extra Arms is also a good choice for her because it boosts the Arcane's sniper rifle until it upgrades.

Once it upgrades you may want to put someone else in it because it gets a post-move attack and use Aida for something that really needs to be made post-move like the Yggdrasil.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I went for Night Camo but I dislike the regular Bilb colors.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

G-Reco has a shitload of one-off suits so I don't blame them for focusing on the Must Haves, especially because they can probably reasonably recycle a lot of stuff for further G-Reco appearances.

My biggest disappointment is honestly that G-Self itself gets weirdly shafted. You don't even get most of the packs as attacks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm surprised we still haven't seen Build Fighters yet. I would have figured with Mightgaine's meta-rear end commentary they would have found an excuse for it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Droyer posted:

Now that Might Gaine's had a couple of games I'd be very happy if they put some of the other Brave shows in.

Give me Da Garn. GIVE IT TO ME.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They could just do what they do for a lot of the weird series and basically make up an original story that mimics the basic plot beats of the show.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

It's pretty hard to actually get turn 1 multi action trains rolling on expert in X without any morale because of the sheer amount of HP and armor enemies have, I find.

To be fair on Expert it isn't like turn count matters much.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

It's the curse of multi-season shows. It's way more flexible to just throw in post-plot Code Geass R2 or Endless Waltz or the 00 movie because you aren't obligated to do canon storylines for the robots.

We've had the S1 00 suits in a grand total of one game, just like the Code Geass S1 KMFs.

The thing I'm sad about is that they haven't gone in on making the older suits they have animations for secrets or something, like they did Buster and Duel that one time.

It'd be neat to just give players the option to go all Black Getter if they want.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Senerio posted:

What are the UC suits worth using?

Counting the G-Reco units?

G-Self is really strong and gets insane once it gets Perfect Pack
ZZ Gundam/Full Armor-ZZ Gundam is an energy hog but pretty darn effective. Judau is required for its best attack though
Nu Gundam is a solid all-around unit, but requires you to use Amuro as the pilot for maximum effectiveness. Hi-Nu is a great choice to give to a Newtype pilot you want to use.
Nightengale is amazing if you get it. Solid MAP weapon and overall good damage. Sazabi is pretty solid too.
Dahack basically can be thrown into a pack of enemies and buzzsaw them while having effectively near-infinite energy. It's probably the best unit to give to a non-Newtype pilot you want to use. (Klim Nick is probably top of the list here.)
Gaitrash basically is unkillable if you want something heavily defensive though it comes so late in the game that it's pretty limited.
G-Lucifer is overall a solid support unit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Speed upgrade feels like an upgrade to the VangRay while the Power upgrade basically feels like they gave you a random super robot instead. It's not bad but one is absolutely more thematically appropriate.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hokuto posted:

I'll go ahead and post this here too.

The official SRW Twitter account posted an announcement that the JP version of SRW X got a 1.02 version update with some bugfixes.

I did a quick translation of the patch notes here.

Oh, so the Gaitrash thing was a bug. I was really confused when it seemed like it was pilot locked and then wasn't.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I kept Sandrock and Quatre around pretty much all the way to the end because he's a good solid defender with lots of support defense. Also because I like him. He certainly didn't fall behind too hard but he was never going to be main character level of amazing. Mind you his Ace ability looks pretty nice, particularly if you're using him to support defend others close by.

As for taking the Wing boys away from the Gundam route, or not liking the Gundam route in general? I'm sorry but that would mean you don't get to see the best moment of GENIUS in the entire game and if you haven't seen it yet fuckin' shame on YOU.

Do you mean "How do I resolve a time loop? I loving MURDER IT" solution Heero comes up with?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ethiser posted:

After playing the first stage of the new Full Metal Panic game I’m glad to see that the Neo team is still getting work.

Oh poo poo does the VMP game play like Neo?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Real robots do a whole bucketload of damage. Were you making sure to take size things into account? Ange and Kallen were both dealing out absurd amounts of damage for me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, Sirbine is basically there to give Todd something better to pilot if you get him or Marvel if you don't.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Raxivace posted:

Man I really wish Suzaku had a cooler Ace Bonus in these games. Its so much more hype when something like the Curse of the Geass animation goes off partway through a stage instead just having it active from the beginning.

Yeah, I admit that's one thing I dislike about those kind of bonuses. I like seeing the character/mecha skill animations go off.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HitTheTargets posted:

Just go straight into the Z series and throw up the double deuce.

So introducing Mist Rex and Hibiki in the same game?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MightyPretenders posted:

That's why I'm expecting them to throw K into the Alpha 3 mix. That gives them a fourth space-based enemy faction after the Balmar main force, Zuvorg war profiteers, and the Database.

Although, that still leaves a lot of Shadow-Mirror loose ends too... and there are plenty of things that changed between Alpha and OG timelines. Things like:
* The Cross Gate's destruction at the end of Moon Dwellers
* There being a lot less room for Selena to get Villetta and Spectra confused
* Son Ganlong not missing the Sealing War
* JakuBuOh/BuOhKi's explicit destruction, instead of being missing the whole time
* Ing being a Cobray knockoff before Cobray even shows up
* Touma being an experienced mech pilot (and an outlaw) instead of a normal civilian until now
* Ryusei and Kushua never getting imprisoned for a game each

That leaves plenty of room for new twists.

There's also no Astranagant in the OGverse so Cobray's stuff is going to have to change quite a bit (including a new mecha) or they're going to have to introduce it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is there some reason there can’t be? My memory is hazy on that unit.

It's not impossible. The Astranagant was Ingram's personal unit and was replaced by the R-Gun Rivale in the OGverse, but they recently introduced the Galinagant which is a very similar unit with a different pilot so they could just introduce the Astranagant in a different way.

That said the fact that INGRAM piloted the Astranagant is kind of important to it, but Ingram is also full of nonsense bullshit so...

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Aug 19, 2018

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Terra is one of those weird units who is better when you remove their Armored Carrier.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I will say I don't mind the alternate dimension thing as much when the alternate dimensions are SRW worlds instead of just "every series is from their own place."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think the major issue is that they're very reluctant to do new things with existing characters which kinda sucks because it's the thing OG should be best at. They wave their hands at it some time but 3/4ths of the Alpha protagonists might as well not exist let alone lesser characters like Radha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really wonder how useful the Bebop ships are going to be. They don't really... have a lot going for them, but it could be one of those "It's a S-sized unit with a single powerful-as-poo poo attack so it's actually kinda broken" situations

• Locked thread