Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Why is Ash somehow even younger looking in this new season? Haven't something like 10-15 years passed in the show since it released?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Okay driving to gamestop now to get my game so I can make best friends with a bowtie owl

Getting sun because the difference in version exclusives is huge. The moon postgame legends (?) are really ugly.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 18, 2016

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I really like a lot of things about sun and moon, especially the new mons, but do trainer battles ever get even slightly more difficult? 1-2 mons that are 5+ levels below my team when I've done no grinding, combined with the huge amount of exposition dumping, is making going through the game kinda tedious when I just want to fight dudes.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Well Gale Wings sucks now so you don't have to worry about that anymore.

They did WHAT now?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Raserys posted:

I thought it was kind of broken for M-Mimikyu's ability to immediately send both trainers to hell and end the battle

Finally, we can take Yugioh's schtick and send trainers directly to the shadow realm.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Is there really a point to having a move deleter if there aren't any hms?
If you're breeding two parents who have moves that can be passed down as egg moves, those will override the moves the baby would normally know when it hatches which can be bad in some cases. Also if there are more than four egg moves distributed between the two parents, that lets you curate them down to four.

You could also just override them with TMs, but why do things the easy way? :v:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Just take your three strongest dudes, which probably includes your starter. Early battle tree fights are not gonna be that hard.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

What the gently caress

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

When the game gave me a red card on the first island I assumed they had changed the way they worked and that the item was no longer consumed on use, so you could actually use them ingame rather than just online.

Nope! :saddowns:

Why the gently caress don't these items work once per battle like Mimikyu's ability instead of being consumable? :psyboom:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

^^^ It's laggy dogshit on the old 3DS, upgrade asap.

Mierenneuker posted:

So I guess if I wanted a catcher Smeargle it would have:
False Swipe
Thunder Wave
Soak
<move to detect the ability for SOS battles>

There are like several for the latter, right? Skill Swap and...?

This set has no way to kill the SOS pokemon that have the wrong ability, or the pokemon that did the calling.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Supremezero posted:

Alright, Love Ball Togekiss get.

... who wanted this again?

It certainly wasn't me but I'd love one, Togekiss is my favorite annoying rear end in a top hat mon.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Supremezero posted:

Well, technically they'll be togepi's, but I'll trade you one if you help me evolve one of my Synchronize Kadabras.

FC: 1891-1454-3807, IGN: Estelle.

Awesome, sounds great.

Meliadoul, 4699-6503-7121

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I have doubts that SOS chaining works. A lot of videos I saw glorified it as "super fast you'll be done in a couple hours tops" but

That seems kinda hokey given what I went through.

Err... it absolutely, 100% does work. Chained pokemon have a chance for their hidden ability, and have increasing numbers of perfect IVs (4 at 40+chain). These are easily verifiable ingame.

If you're talking shinies, even at max chain it's supposedly a 1/50,000 chance, so good luck!

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

greatn posted:

What are the rules for crossbreeding though.

There is no crossbreeding. The child is the same species as the mother, or if you use a male with a ditto it's the same as the father.

Certain moves and stat numbers can be inherited from either parent, that's a complicated mess though and you'll want to look at the bulbapedia guide for breeding for that.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Lube Enthusiast posted:

If you breed two Alolan Marowaks that both know Flame Wheel & Shadow Bone, will they produce a baby Cubone that'll have those attacks when it hatches?

I'm pretty sure level up moves can only be passed down if the hatched pokemon can learn them from leveling up, not its evolved form.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Senerio posted:

I traded a Braviary for a Sharpedo in a Beast Ball, so soon I'll be able to offer up Beast Ball Carvahnas.

Is Sharpedo one of the mega stones that's available? :o:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

You can breed it with a Speed Boost Sharpedo and the kids will have a chance of inheriting both the ball and the HA! :eng101:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Dizz posted:

I've still got female castforms that are holding Destiny Knot. They're more for the item and dex fill, then you can breed more if you want or release it.

This would be awesome, I'm getting on again now.

Meliadoul, 4699-6503-7121

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Emalde posted:

VGC rules will be VGC rules for the entire year, the "season" simply refers to this being the first round of regionals. For the entirety of 2017 until the end of the Worlds matchups will be Alolan Dex only.

This actually sounds kind of good? I'll miss a lot of things but it'll be a very, very different format at least.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Why does Smogon have such complicated ban clauses? I guess "complicated" is the wrong word, because I mean stuff like the Baton Pass clause, the OHKO ban, the evasion-raising and Moody bans, and the sleep clause.

Like, these things are in the game. Some of them just seem like "we hate variance", which is understandable but I'm not really sure why it's codified in the actual format itself, and stuff like speed passing, while certainly difficult to deal with... I don't know, why don't they just let the metagame revolve around these things, since there will always be pillars?

I don't know anything about competitive play but I figured asking here would get my head less bitten off than asking there :shobon:

The baton pass clause is literally there because the bigshots at smogon are a bunch of whiny manbabies that can't stand things that aren't "how the game is supposed to be played". The threads for the ban discussion should be in their archives if you want to read them, that change was made shortly after X and Y launched I think. The tl;dr was that Sylveon and a couple of mechanics changes upgraded full baton pass chain teams from a terrible gimmick to an actually reasonable team comp, and rather than adapt to something new which broke the mold of generations-old archetypes, they whined and whined and whined until the rules council put it up to a vote.

gently caress

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

oddium posted:

sleep clause and evasion clause are good. also smash is more fun without items. cheers

Both of those things are fine and have been around for a long rear end time, it's some of the other things that are hugely suspect about how Smogon operates especially since gen 5.

Deified Data posted:

I think people get the wrong idea about Smogon from hearing other people talk about them. Oftentimes their tier list changes are talked about like they're edicts getting passed on the whole community, when it reality it's just one forum full of spergs who all have an idea of how they want to play the game competitively and want to play with people who agree with them. None of that appeals to me personally but I don't think it's their fault that their tier lists get brought up as much as they do outside of Smogon. It's a good resource for moveset ideas though.

This would be fine if it were possible to play with rules that aren't either VGC or Smogon. And when VGC is hot garbage like this past year was with its primals and legendaries and whatnot, well...

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 29, 2016

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Have there been any ideas about how hidden ability distribution is going to work for starters and other non-chainable pokemon? I assume not because this is Game Freak but...

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

:vince:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Shiny Tapus with perfect IVs and nature, caught in Beast Balls.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The Lord of Hats posted:

Just a small point--the ban in UU wasn't statpassing, it was on Baton Pass as a whole. I'm fairly new to Smogon, and also not that good, so my opinion doesn't actually hold that much weight, but I feel like with all the times that Baton Pass had come up as a problem in the past, and how there had been multiple mons sacrificed to BL to keep Baton Pass around, even as they restricted BP further and further, they just wanted to be done with it.

Also, I don't quite get why Smogon gets such a bad rap. The tier divisions mean that more pokemon get to have an environment in which they're good (or at least usable). I've been playing RU, where you get things like Cosmic Power+Stored Power Sigilyph (Calm Mind + flying attack I can't remember is better, but still), Alomomola as a dominant force, and DD Scrafty. It means more fun instead of Primal Groudon everywhere.

I think Smogon's method of tiering is great for those reasons, the problem I have with them is mostly with the people who make up the heavy hitters in OU discussion and banning. It's circle-jerky and whiny, not to mention incredibly hypocritical when it comes to things they like getting exempt from critical review when they otherwise would.

It's also too monolithic. There are virtually no options for competitive singles battling other than Smogon rules, and that's kind of a problem.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

tbp posted:

Any people in particular? I'm quite good friends with most of the big OUers and the council, I think for the most part they're doing a fairly good job but is be interested in outside opinion

Ftr I am not on the council but I was on Uu council for most of ORAS, got kicked off when they realized I didn't actually play UU anymore (tho I got finals in Uu open and went 8-1 in SPL lol) . I am a tournament director tho so it's a fair amount of the same circles

It's been long enough that I don't remember names, but the one guy who whined until Excadrill got put up for suspect testing multiple times in a row to successive overwhelming no votes until enough people were sick of it that they voted yes so he'd shut up is a good example.

I also mean more the general culture than anyone in specific. Stealth Rock was overwhelmingly oppressive and dominant for most of gens 4-6 (and probably still will be) and any time it was brought up to be looked at as a problem was met with "lol stop trying to use bad pokemon like charizard" because a lot of the OU people like it, despite other things that were much less metagame-warping (Baton Pass, Shadow Tag) being banned on similar grounds. There's the idea that there's only one acceptable way for the game to be played and anything that shakes up how you need to approach teambuilding gets axed. Shadow Tag is a good example of that actually, a lot of the reasoning for its ban was along the lines of it being "not what pokemon is about" or some such other nonsense. And then banning Swagger for being "unfun" while, again, Stealth Rock is also left in and such.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Nov 30, 2016

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Kikas posted:

Chain 82 on this Misdreavus and still no goddamn shiny. Is there a trick to getting a good chain? I don't have access to adrenaline orbs yet :c
I have literally spent like 8 hours in this one patch of grass trying to get a shiny Misdreavus since I've beat the first island.

It caps at 1/50,000 from what I heard. It's still a huge fuckin shot in the dark.

You get adrenaline orbs after the second (or third? I don't remember exactly) trial on the second island, you'd be a lot better off going for that.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Clearly I heard very wrong then. :downs:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

That's pretty much the core hypocrisy of Smogon. Stealth rock is on literally every singles team. They've banned tons of stuff for being too prevalent or centralizing, but not that.

I don't get why singles players love their entry hazards so much but whatever floats their boat.

That's the thing, a lot of singles players don't love entry hazards, but they aren't part of the smogon clique and are thus ignored and there's nowhere else to go. Not enough organization to set up an alternative for people who want something different, I guess.

If SR had much lower distribution, or didn't do massive damage to things with a 4x rock weakness, it would probably be fine like Spikes and Toxic Spikes are. Alas.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Right, but... why not just ban Klefki there? Like, sure, people can find a use for it, but you could say the same about Swagger, it's just less likely. I don't get why you wouldn't just use the existing tiers-of-Pokemon system.

Whatever.

TOTALLY UNRELATED: Which berry piles have the EV lowering berries? I wanna grow a stockpile so I can save my FC for other stuff.

Even better, they could just ban Swagger on Klefki if it's such a problem. Much like they could ban Speed Boost on Blaziken so he could still be used in UU or whatever, but they don't because ???

I'm fairly sure their reasoning against that is they want their bans to be simple, but the whole Baton Pass debacle spits in the face of that.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Flopsy posted:

It's almost as if pikaclones suck or something. Mimikyu excluded because it rules.

Pachirisu won a VGC worlds though!!!

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Even in Smogon Doubles (which has generally been a better format than VGC doubles) hazards are a lot less prevalent apart from Sticky Web and Toxic Spikes, which is nice. I tend to like doubles more than singles in general, and that's one of the major reasons. Hazards and spins and spinblockers and anti-spinblockers is just a big pile of busywork when there could be more interesting decisions to make.

E: ^ one berry pile on route 10 apparently has them.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

qnqnx posted:

VGC is a poo poo format for retards that prefer gimmicks over strategy

2016 sure, but 2017 VGC looks like it might actually be good.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Waffles Inc. posted:

Why the Air Balloon?

I would assume so that it doesn't get splatted by incidental earthquake damage, also so it's safe to switch in against said earthquakes.

Captain Oblivious posted:

I've never done legit PvP before but I'm interested in VGC. The Doubles format seems easy to get into.

I've a vague idea of running Ninetales-A with Snow Warning and Aurora Veil with an Overcoat Automotize Kommo-O. I feel like I should run a Tapu just to have the ability to reverse weather against opposing Tapus but idk. Any advice on complements to Ninetales and Kommo are welcome.

Instead of running your own Tapu, beat them with a Poison Memory Silvally. :getin:

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Nov 30, 2016

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Embrace it and make a 6-water team

This is actually a Very Good Idea because of Pelipper getting Drizzle this gen. Lots of dudes with Swift Swim or another rain-boosted ability, in addition to the boost to water moves.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 30, 2016

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

For Alola raichu besides Nasty Plot from Pichu are there any pre-evo moves I want or is it all TMs after Nasty Plot?

Volt Tackle can be taught to Pikachu only by a girl in Konikoni city, it can be a decent option against specially bulky pokemon.

Electro Ball is better than thunder/bolt against slow targets, especially in electric terrain.

Nuzzle is almost strictly better than t-wave now.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Yeah S&M are probably the third hardest games to Nuzlocke, right behind HGSS because of its length and difficulty spikes and of course B&W hard mode. It's a fun challenge so far.

E: Lusamine is giving off some batshit crazy vibes and I'm gonna have to guess that they end up being one of the last bosses in the story.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

*vaporized by choice scarf Tapu Lele*

Fair, but he can outspeed all non-scarfed Tapus with a max speed investment and then OHKO them.

Palladium posted:

Thank you so much for the Knot, you are my Pokegod.

Anyway, is there a guaranteed way now to get a 5/6 IV Ditto besides chaining for a 4IV one and pray to the RNGgod?

Nope, but a 6 IV is 1/1024 and a 5 IV is only 1/16 after a 40 chain so it aint that bad. The real hard stuff is trying to get a 0 speed or attack IV with 31 in the rest.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 30, 2016

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Even with species clause like half of my mons are gen 1 dudes. I'm fine with that though, because alola forms are neat, Machoke is a loving boss as always, and Z-Splash Gyarados is hilarious.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

alolan shellder :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

The Elite 4. It sucks though, welcome to hell

It's still waaaaaaay easier than it was pre-gen6. Exp share isn't a hold item so you can slap a lucky egg on the thing you're raising.