Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

My current Pokemon Sun team is composed of Ribombee, Decidueye, Hariyama, Dugtrio (Alolan Form), Golem (Alolan Form), and Slowpoke. I'm really happy with it, but I'm going to have to retire Slowpoke for a while. Maaaaarrrrrk is destined to be a Slowking, and that won't happen for a while. I don't want to risk accidentally letting him become a Slowbro every time he levels up, but giving him an Everstone means taking away his Quick Claw.

So, I need a new Pokemon to replace him, with an emphasis on good type coverage. There are a bunch of other water/psychics, but I wanted a change. My first thought was Gyarados, but it turns out it only learns one Flying-Type move, and is incompatible with every Flying TM. So, any suggestions for the new recruit? I'm up to route 16 on Ula'Ula Island.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Dec 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

cancerianmoth posted:

don't you have access to bruxish? its a pretty neat pokemon.

Maybe, but like I said, I'd like something other than water/psychic. Otherwise I'd get a Starmie. Now that's a cool poke.

Locke Dunnegan posted:

I vote Dragonite because half your team is weak to Fire or Flying, and Dragonite resists Fire and can Earthquake the former and Thunder Punch the latter. Or Stone Edge I guess.

Looks like that won't be available until the next island. In any case, I haven't had any trouble with Flying types ever since my Golem, Geodudette, joined the team.

Zoness posted:

There's some goons out there who would recommend Lanturn or Whiscash I think. They are also meritworthy and neat.

Obviously if you use a Whiscash, it must hold an amulet coin.

I already have Electric covered with Golem. Ground doubly so, because Dugtrio currently only knows Ground-type moves. Turns out Alolan Dugtrio don't learn a lot of Steel-Type moves (not that there are a lot to learn), but I'll get to the Move Relearner soon for Metal Claw.

less laughter posted:

Turtonator is on route 12 (same island as 16), so Ariong could catch that.

Now there's an idea. Then I would have more than one thing for bug types. I'm a little concerned about its learnset, but I suppose as long as it learns one good dragon move that's good enough.

Zoness posted:

Gyarados's coverage is actually pretty good if you ignore that he can't use any flying move effectively aside from Bounce.

My strong recommendation is Sharpedo although you have to teach it its strongest water moves, since the only water move it learns by leveling up is aqua jet.

Sharpedo's move pool is pretty crazy though. Earthquake, Poison Fang (ok at 50 bp this one's a bit of a stretch), Ice Fang, Crunch, Rock Tomb, Waterfall :getin:

Sharpedo won't be available until the next island, but Gyarados could be worth another look. You have a point about the one flying type move, although now I'm confused. The bulbapedia page for Gyarados says the only flying type move it can ever learn is Hurricane, but the page for Bounce says Gyarados can learn it via tutoring. I've never used the Move Tutor before, so I wouldn't know.

Anyway, Gyarados can also learn Dark, Dragon, and Ice type moves, so I'm leaning toward that. are there any downsides to Gyarados that I'm overlooking?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Cool, guess I'll go with Gyarados. Which is the least important between Dragon, Dark, and Ice?

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Any goon with a computer is free to hop onto the Discord. I'm sure plenty of people there have Dratini to trade, and may even level it up a bit to help catch up. But if they are doing a straight playthrough with no trading then I dunno, Turtonator or Salazzle? I'm too lazy to cross-reference encounter tables to see if they can get those yet.

EDIT: When does Lycanroc get its rock priority move? That would probably work fine the whole game. Or Mudsdale, though I can't remember when you get the rock move TMs. It does learn Rock Slide at least, right?

I was going to get a Salazzle, but then I got a male Salandit and found out that only females evolve and only like 15% are female and I said screw it. I was never a fan of poison types anyway, whenever I use a move that poisons a an enemy and watch thier health tick down by three points every turn, I think to myself, "why didn't I just use a move that does damage?" That's when I settled on Geodude, which turned into Graveler incredibly quickly.

Countblanc posted:

You are vastly overthinking this. I beat the game with a team of mons 10+ levels under the elite 4 including some wholly unoptimal stuff like the psychic orang. Gyarados is definitely fine.

Wait, are you saying that this game isn't just for pros like me?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Locke Dunnegan posted:

There are good, high-damage Poison moves now. I assume you don't use Flamethrower or Fire Blast for the burn, or Thunderbolt for the paralysis, right? And Poison is actually a valuable type given the amount of Fairy types in the game, and Fire/Poison is pretty solid offensive typing. Yeah getting a female Salandit is a bummer, but once again hop onto the permanent chatroom (Discord channel is in the OP) and I'm sure people will offer you female ones with perfect IVs and egg moves or something.

Or in a Beast Ball.

Yeah, but Gyarados is a flying water serpent dragon.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Six Geodudes. They must be the best, look at their arms!

I have recently found myself disappointed that Geodudes float. I think it would be really funny if they were just rocks with two muscle arms that they walk around on. Imagine a Geodude going down a flight of stairs like a slinky does.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

What's the point of Pokemon breeding? What do domestic Pokemon have that wild-caught Pokemon don't?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

OneDeadman posted:

It's a way to more or less guarantee decent IVs with items and also some moves can be transferred over pokemon lines via breeding to make certain pokemon's move pools better(ie. aqua jet on gosolipod)

Hmm. Fascinating. That answers my question, and makes perfect sense. However, not everybody is as smart as you and I. Is there any chance you could phrase that more simply in case there's someone reading the thread who has no idea what you're talking about?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

So, the stats just get better with each generation? They never go down?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Pakled posted:

No, they can go down. The way it works is, by default, a pokemon will inherit 3 IVs from its parents and the remaining 3 IVs are random. Of the IVs inherited from its parents, it takes them from a random parent. You can make it so a child inherits 5 IVs from its parents by making either parent hold a Destiny Knot when they breed.

Okay, that makes sense. I'll think about getting into that once I finish the story campaign.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

How likely are you to find a shiny in the wild anyway? Fabion the shiny Dugtrio is really nice and all, but I wanna know how bad I should feel if I need to swap them out at some point.

I really liked generation VI for the most part, but man the badge designs sucked.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I would like to breed a Pokemon that knows Dragon Breath with Hakamo-o, so as to get a Jangmo-o with Dragon Breath. There are eleven Pokemon suitable for this: Altaria, the Bagon line, the Deino line, the Goomy line, and Drampa. Which one of these Pokemon would be easiest to obtain in Pokemon Sun?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, the only person I know with Pokemon Moon isn't very far into it, so Bagon it is.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

To bilk tourists.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Why is every pokemon I catch going into box 8 instead of box 4?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I'm 1 hour and 30 dittos into my search for one with 4 perfect IVs, and a shiny one just popped up. Do I take it, or do I hold out for the buff one?

Improbable Lobster posted:

Are you leaving your PC on box 8 when you log out?

That'll be it.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

JackDarko posted:

It only takes me like 20 minute to get a forty Ditto chain. Make sure your animations are off and using the Muk method.

Didn't know you could turn the animations off, thanks for the tip. What's the Muk method? I did the first one I read about, making the first ditto into a munchlax with a leppa berry and no moves except Recycle.

Dr. Fetus posted:

If you've already taken out 30 Dittos, it'll have 4 IVs (Unless you took out over 255 of them, which causes an overflow glitch.)

Cool. Thanks.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

The mystery gift right now is a munchlax. If you have an internet connection, you can get one.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Pokemon Red, or Pokemon Blue?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Cool!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

So, in order to do the Battle Tree effectively, you have to breed some good pokemon. If you want to do that, you need a destiny knot. If you want one of those, you need to get good at Battle Royals. So, any Battle Royal tips?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Supremezero posted:

Tip 1: Use Pickup instead.
Tip 2: Don't do Battle Royale.
Tip 3: Or just spam dittos in the GTS, since the hacked ones commonly have them.

What are the odds of a pokemon with pickup will find a Destiny Knot at the end of a battle? If it's like 2%, it would probably be faster to just lose 24 battle royals.

What is that?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Where can I go to grind a pokemon up to 100? the highest level I've seen a wild pokemon at was ~60.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Oh cool, I didn't know you could redo that.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

iPodschun posted:

You can get to 48 BP to buy a Destiny Knot without breeding for good IVs. I was able to ride an Adamant Mimikyu through normal singles and get into super singles.
I traded Mareanie for Zygarde then Zygarde for Celesteela.

What does singles mean in the context of the battle royal?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I would like to perform the Mew glitch as demonstrated in these videos, but I have already defeated both of the trainers used for the second encounter. Is there another one I could use, and if there are multiple, which one is closest to Cerulean City?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The Bulbapedia page goes really deep, and the Glitch City Laboratories page isn't much better, but what it boils down to is that:
    1) The first trainer is only used to set the flag and then fly away
    2) Something that counts as a second trainer is necessary at some point - this can be an actual trainer or use a PC, get your menu back, and push a Strength boulder (flying to Fuschia is probably best, there's one in the Warden's building)
    3) The Pokemon you encounter when you walk back to the first trainer's area is based on the Special stat of the last Pokemon you fought. You can manipulate that either with a wild Ditto transforming into something you need or with a specific trainer (or with a wild encounter) or with a lucky random encounter
You need the right Special stat, basically. If those two are gone, it looks like the only other trainer option is to force a switch out on the bottom lady of the stack of four in that area with the Gambler and kill her first Pokemon last. I would absolutely recommend using a wild Ditto and a pokemon of your own with either 21 or 21+256=277 Special instead.

Sounds like it would be easier to just restart the whole game then. :sigh:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I just learned that Castform can learn Reflect Type, but only if you breed one with a Stunfisk that knows it. Of course, if you want a Stunfisk with Reflect Type, you'll need to breed one with an Omanyte that knows it. Problem is, if you want an Omanyte that knows Reflect Type, you'll have to breed one with a Tentacruel that knows it.

Is this the longest such chain?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

How do you tell when a Pokémon has the maximum number of EVs it can get?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Just found out about a move that I had never heard of before. The reason I had never seen it is because only four pokemon learn it naturally. Three of them are members of the cyndaquill line, which can only be acquired by using Island Scan on Melemele Island on Sunday. The fourth one is Moltres, which is obviously Pokemon Bank only. Interesting how they would make a new move so hard to find.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I have an Incineroar with 147 Attack and 90 Special Attack. Would Fire Fang or Flamethrower be better?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I have a ditto with 6 perfect IVs holding a destiny knot and a Mimikyu with 5 perfect IVs. How are they producing children with only 3 perfect IVs?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Must have had an old egg stashed somewhere.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Okay, something is definitely wrong here.

Parent 1:

Parent 2:

Child:

Sorry for the huge pictures. Any ideas?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Oh, I get it now. Thanks a bunch.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Is there a calculator somewhere that will tell me exactly which pokemon I can get in Omega Ruby but not Sun?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I'll ask again: is there any way to find out which pokemon are available in ORAS but not SUMO, short of manually making a list of both and cross-referencing them? I can do this, but I want to know if there's a better way.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

What is pokemon global link?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Goldeen or magikarp. Maybe poliwag.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Hammerite posted:

yeah, any psychic type is busted in-game in gen 1. for example butterfree is usable

It is? I decided against it for my playtrhough because it is a Bug/Flying type pokemon that never learns any Flying type moves, and the only Bug type move it can have is String Shot. What's so good about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

There's also Pin Missile and Twinneedle, but good luck seeing those without Beedrill. Is beedrill any good in Gen I?