Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So I'm debating getting into competitive, at least somewhat casually. Is having the proper nature a huge deal, or is it just min/maxing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yeah, I really have that problem most players have that they view status moves as overrated. That's probably the first thing I have to break myself of.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So I got the judge in my game.

Somehow, I got a Pichu from another country...

Perfect IVs except special attack, which is just shy of perfect. That was a surprise.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

notoriousman posted:

It was probably traded away for that precise reason, Pokémon eugenics can be harsh.

A Brief primer on breeding:
There's a small handful of items useful for breeding specific natures or passing down beneficial IV values.

- Everstones, when held, pass the nature of the parent to the child 100%. A lot of Pokémon have one attacking stat they'll never use, which can be the "dump stat" so another can get a small boost.
- Destiny Knots ensure that 5 Individual Values are selected from both parents and passed to the child instead of the normal 3. What IVs and from which parents is still random, as will be the 6th IV.
- Power <Weight, Bracer, Belt, Lens, Band, Anklet>, when held, pass the precise Individual Value of their corresponding stat (HP, Attack, Defense, Special Attack, Special Defense, Speed) to the child. Useful for things like ensuring your Pokémon has 0 Speed IVs for certain builds. They also help greatly in training Effort Values, giving 8 points of their relevant stat up to a cap of 252 per stat and 510 cumulative total.
- And also on EVs, every 4 points grants the equivalent of one stat point to the relevant stat at level 100 (or in online battles where your Pokémon are automatically scaled to level 50).

So why 0 speed for certain builds? Just so that specific 'mon will always go last?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dabir posted:

Isn't Raichu about equal in both? Don't forget this is the Pokémon whose signature move is Volt Tackle.

Alolan has a bit higher special attack for base (as in they took 5 points out of attack and put it there so instead of even, it's now 10 higher).

And yes, I'm doing research, though I probably have a loooooooooooot to digest still.

iospace fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Feb 24, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

That's the thing that sort of boggles my mind. Why are Ultra Beasts and Tapus legal?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mostly because they're unique (as in there's a limit you can get on a single cart without trading). I thought they were legendaries for the purposes of online battles.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Flagrama posted:

Pretty sure "pseudo-legendaries" like the birds, the beasts, and the like have pretty much always been allowed in VGC rules.

Ah, ok. This is all new to me. I sort of wanted to get into this in X and Y, but real life stuff sort of conspired against me.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The White Dragon posted:

Since bank finally came out for Sun & Moon(?), I'm gonna start playing later and I was hoping someone could hook me up with a Snivy egg and a Fennekin egg maybe some time tomorrow :3:

You can actually catch a Serperior in Sun and Moon. Just gotta get 100 points on the island scan. Fennekin, however, can not.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Pokemon 2017 Meta: Tapus, Ultra Beasts, and Mimmikyus, OH MY

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

iPodschun posted:

I did Silvally with Swords Dance and Explosion, Mimikyu (I think...), and then Celesteela to make sure I wasn't the person to get knocked out. Took me like 3-4 tries at the third rank then 2-3 at the final rank to win and get the pretty princess throwing style.

Lefty style best style :colbert: On that note, if you use lefty, you still throw balls to capture righty :ughh:

e:

Silver Falcon posted:

Mimikyu works really well in the Royal. Disguise should let you get a Swords Dance off, then you can snipe kills with Shadow Sneak. I won the Master rank pretty handily with Mimikyu, with Dragonite and Celesteela as backup. I never had to use the Celesteela, but Dragonite's Multiscale was helpful in letting it get off a Dragon Dance and start ripping things to shreds with Outrage or Earthquake.

How long did you have to farm SOS battles to get a multiscale Dragonite :stare:

Also, what was the Mimikyu setup you used, because I wanna farm BP to get at least some items.

iospace fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Feb 26, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

And someone sent over a shiney, pokerus'ed sandygast with its hidden ability to me. I'll probably never use it (maybe), but I'll take it anyway.

And yes, it probably was a failed breeding attempt, but whatever. I find it cool.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Is there any advantage to having more than one flame body pokemon while hatching or is it the same rate as one?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Theta Zero posted:

It doesn't stack.

What I figured, thanks!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

OgreNoah posted:

Way faster. Bottle caps are not super abundant and if you've got 6IV dittos it's super easy to get the correct 5IVs or even 6IVs. Getting to 100 takes so long now that Blissey Hidden Bases are no more.

But how long does it take to get a 6IV ditto?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dienes posted:

A couple minutes after asking for one.

Right :doh:

I wouldn't mind having one, to be fair.

iospace fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Feb 27, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I usually grind Sos battles in resolution cave if I need attack (dugtrio) or speed (golbat) evs. Usually gets a good chunk of levels before the target uses struggle. Add in ev items and you can easily max out that ev in that time I've found.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I got lucky enough to have a wonder trade boost while dumping 3 boxes of rejects.

And then manage to pick up a reject off someone with the nature I wanted.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

LEGO Genetics posted:

Regarding counterpicks; We've known since Emerald that the Frontier/Tower/Subway/Maison has been a bunch of cheating BS that only the AI can access

I didn't know the AI had access to Tapus and ultra beasts.

On that note, I didn't know that Tapus were legal so all mine have bad natures.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Paul.Power posted:

I just straight-up taunted the Totem Mimikyu by opening with Pikachu and Volt-switching out.

One part :perfect: one part :unsmigghh:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I have four shineys. One I caught off an SOS chain (golbat), two are blatantly hacked ones I got off Wonder Trade (Lvl 1 Sandygast with a champion ribbon and Lvl 5 Eevee with champion ribbon and a footprint ribbon, both with 6IV and Pokerus), and the last one has enough plausible deniability to it but is likely hacked (Turtwig with 6IV but nothing else). I had better luck finding them in X though, but I can't find my cart anywhere (read: too lazy to dig it up).

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

OgreNoah posted:

BP seems really easy to get if you've got Pokemon Bank and a ton of breedjects just sitting in it. Mine's about half full, generates BP really fast. I had 600some when I got Moon, let me buy all the mega stones i wanted.

How does that work then?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hammerite posted:

Masuda Method makes a much greater difference than Shiny Charm does (unless they changed it this gen) so it's not that unlikely.

They stack, by the way.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

OgreNoah posted:

You put a bunch of Pokemon in the online bank, and it generates 1BP per some amount of Pokemon in there that you can have it sent as BP or pokemiles to your game when you login to bank.

Ak, ok. How often does it generate then?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Nth Doctor posted:

Alright. Since I can't get rid of this code any other way, here's a bottle cap code!
A7Z5 2KRE R5DD YRLM
E: gone

as requested:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

oddium posted:

gunk shot

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So Kanto x Alola is live!

Team Participation Trophy has participated. I only got one move off across all three battles: a splash.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

AlternateNu posted:

I think the AI attached to that Electrode is hosed. I've had the same thing happen where I had one dude left at 1/4 health choice locked into Focus Blast and they throw out Electrode which is guaranteed to outrun my dude. I missed with Focus Blast twice in a row, and it decided to just try to set up instead of finishing me.

I think that's an AI thing in general. It wants to set up SO BAD but won't go for the kills when it's in range.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bongo Bill posted:

gently caress you if you don't like Trubbish.

Trubbish is trash :colbert:

:dadjoke:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hustlin Floh posted:

You're allowed one single favorite poke from previous generations. A franchise poke.

Pidgey family :colbert:

(real talk: back in X when I encountered a Pidgey I squeed. That family was one of my regulars in Gen I)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hey guys, want 4000 FC, 5 rare candies, and a love ball?

Hatch 200k eggs. Well, help anyway. You have to contribute 3.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also new competition details up: https://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/information/2264176e-fe49-4c1b-99c6-c970d74d8ae9

Alolan dex only doubles. No megas or the usual legendaries.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Just checked, it's over 128k. I think for the last time it already had passed that amount.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DizzyBum posted:

Oh, nice, I got a decent doubles team halfway done for the Battle of Alola. Maybe I can actually get it done in time for this one!

I'm debating if I want to use Team Participation Trophy again or actually try this time.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dizz posted:

https://pastebin.com/ujsiMkWj

Hastily created up a vgc team while i had the free time. Will try to get a few games later today. I appreciate any feedback on improving the team.

Random question: how do you get the team format like that exactly? Is it something to do with Showdown?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Someone please stop me from continuing the shiny Mimikyu project. :shepicide:

BUT IT'S SO GRAYSCALE AND RETRO AND I WANT ONE

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dizz posted:

E: Third game, barely get a win thanks to Ninetales. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7vgc2017-554618123

my only quibble watching this was you focused down PoryZ while it was recharging when you could have taken out Palossand with snarl. Would have left Arcanine up to at least get a STAB flamethrower off on Celesteela before the death of it.

But sometimes, the opponent is even more dumb! Squeaker wins are fun.

Dizz posted:

I hope you aren't chaining for one

I'm breeding one :downs: Chaining for one when I need it a very specific way (trick room setter) is a bigger gamble.

iospace fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 30, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Rangpur posted:

I have a shiny Mimikyu. May yours not require leveling to 100 and forcing a Gold bottle cap down it's throat to be viable in competitions. :suicide:

At best, mine will require 0 regular bottle caps.

At worst, it'll need 4 :suicide:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dicking around on Showdown using VGC rules. Encounter an obvious trick room team. Dumpster the guy's Hariyama. Instant forfeit (also me being a derp with my attacks).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Jithendra posted:

No actually, using Trick Room again returns the dimensions back to normal. So one way to counter trick room is to have your own pokemon that can use Trick Room, and either use it yourself or have your Trick Room mon use Imprison so that the opponent can't use it. You could also use Taunt or Roar to prevent it from going up, since Trick Room has negative priority, so it will go last.

Mental Herb Inner Focus Oranguru cheeses all those mechanics, but it's squishy as all hell. Porygon2 can usually tank the focus fire but is weak to taunts and flinches. Mimikyu has some flinch immunity thanks to typing, can use a mental herb, but if the disguise goes down it's squishy.

Hrist posted:

That makes sense then. Trick Room has always gone over my head beyond wanting to use something incredibly slow on your team.

Trick Room also has the advantage of having bulky 'Mons. What would normally go towards speed can be dumped into HP or some defense stat.