Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

omg.

I'm guessing grass/ground? But it's so cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

Crabawler evolves into a yeti crab. I did not expect that but I'm glad it does.

I guess they figured they had to use that new Ice Stone for something other than Ninetales.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I dunno, I still think Alolan Ninetales/vulpix, Marowak, and Raichu are cool and good.

Same. I like Alola Ninetales more than regular Ninetales, in fact.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Dr. Fetus posted:

:siren:ULTRA BEASTS HAVE SHINY FORMS!:siren:

I can't wait to collect my shiny Eldrich Abominations.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Space T Rex posted:

That heavily implies, if not confirms catchability.

Well, legendaries have shiny forms that can't actually show up in game, so it might just be a result of the engine somehow.

But yeah, they are probably catchable. Maybe only after some plot or something.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Tired Moritz posted:

alolan persian is so cute. AAAAAAAAaa

M-mods? Mods?!

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

https://twitter.com/SciresM/status/788271662663774208

Seems like that unless there are Pokemon that flat out aren't in the demo, this is it.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I love how the shiny sandcastle has black sand. A nice Hawaiian touch.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Yeah, it possible that they are just coded as Pokemon to spare GF the :effort: of programming a second type of battle encounter script and preventing them from being hacked into the player's team without the game freaking out.

We won't know for sure until November.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Funkmaster General posted:

I think he's saying that if they weren't obtainable, then why isn't the "shiny" form just the exact same as the regular one, because the effort doing the recoloring would be wasted if you couldn't get them.

I'm not entirely convinced shinies are created manually, though, given some of the really terrible ones out there. They might just randomly select a new color palette and generate the new sprite/model that way, in which case it wouldn't matter.

Did Pokestar things have shiny versions?

I think the really old ones (like, GBC era) had their shiny forms made by shifting their pallet, but the modern ones are manually made. It's easier to retexture a model than recolor a sprite, I believe. (Though neither is difficult.)

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Demo is up in the US. Prepare for eShop crash in 5... 4... 3... 2...

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Can confirm that there are no framerate drops for me during the totem battle or when turning on the 3D during not!Pokemon Snap on a n3DS. But 3D during battle also seems to no longer be a thing.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Dehry posted:

Having gone through the demo with a New and Old 3DS side by side:

New 3DS loads areas slightly faster. The Start Demo menu came up instantaneously on the New 3DS, while the Old 3DS sat and cleared resources for 5 seconds.

When loading a new area after fading to black, there was a slight delay on the Old 3DS. Nothing game breaking but I had to wait for it to stop at a prompt so I could sync them back up.

Both had Zubat Horde Battle slowdown when the Totem Pokemon called out an ally and the camera started panning across everything.

As mentioned earlier, the Old 3DS will completely restart after finishing the game.

I didn't notice any slowdown, but I might have chosen moves too quickly or something.

Either way, it seems the n3DS helps a little.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Waffles Inc. posted:

so is there no pokeballs in the demo?

There are if you do the catching challenge thing, but you don't get to keep the Pokémon afterwards.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

oddium posted:

really golem could only go up from kanto golem design. good on him

:yeah:

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I just found a mysterious old man hiding behind a statue, he gave me some money, and then told me not to come looking for him.

Did I just become an accessory to a crime? :stare:

I guess we'll find out when the mysterious deal goes down!

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

HoneyBoy posted:

Question: when everyone was talking about the game struggling on older 3DS hardware, was that just when using 3D in battle? Does it still slow down if there's too many models during a battle even without 3D?

You no longer can turn on 3D in battle, even on the n3DS.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Harlock posted:

I'm the 5 FPS PokeFinder

They're just making an accurate Pokémon Snap experience.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

No bike feels a little weird. Not that I ever used the bike to travel since the Running Shoes were introduced but still.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

AlphaKretin posted:

Wouldn't we already know if that would be the case, since we have the TM data?

I think they only know what moves the TMs are because they know the old move's values in the move index (or however they are stored). All the actual data for moves other than those in the demo were replaced by Pound, which is why we don't know the names/types/effects of the new moves.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Jables88 posted:

Is the framerate stuff better on the N3DS?

A little, though Poke Finder still runs at a glorious 5 fps.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Also, it seems the new use of the D-pad is exclusively to use registered Poke Rides for quick use. Probably also for key items as well, since Y is now the button to open the Poke Ride menu.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Pentaro posted:

That's weird. I finished the demo at like, 7 PM yesterday. This morning I booted it again while I was getting ready to go to work (so, circa 6 AM) and the dude handed me the wings.

Same. I had no issue getting the wings.

It seems most of the items are vendor trash to help line your pockets. Not that I care, because more clothes for me.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Interesting theory on what Dugtrio's hair is.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

PSWII60 posted:

It may also be related to when you talk to them. I finished the demo yesterday I can't remember what time. But I know I did not talk to any of the event people until today for the first time.

I have no idea. I finished the demo around 1 yesterday but I opened it up again today around 10. :shrug:

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Carlosologist posted:

So what's Alolan Dugtrio's likely typing? I say Ground/Dragon, but I feel Grass/Ground is more likely

I was thinking Grass/Ground, but from the post I found I think Fire/Ground or Rock/Ground is more likely.

RIP Alola Dugtrio, surrounded by the thing that can kill you.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Reinanigans posted:

Kinda crazy that despite Mega forms being so important to Gen 6 overall, they're almost an afterthought in Gen 7. I hope more Gen 5 and 6 Pokés get Mega forms than just Audino and Diancie, at least. And there's still a lot of Gen 1-4 Pokémon who could really use some love.

I hope that they have another round of small stat buffs like what they did with Raichu, Nidoking/queen, etc. Just a few more stat points to stay somewhat relevant with the power creep.

Is CoroCoro monthly? I just really want some new information on at least the types of the final starter evolutions, and the next official release of information isn't for another week.

Yeah, Corocoro is monthly. We'll get one more issue right before release, but since by right before I mean "the week of" I doubt it would have any significant info. Or any game info at all.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Zore posted:

Are they adults? They look basically like they do in FR/LG and HG/SS

Yeah? Red's face at least looks a lot older and he's taller than Blue now.

I'm happy Red and Blue are friends again and are taking a vacation to Hawaii together. And that Red still doesn't speak.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

mabels big day posted:

I'd like to see grown up Green too

Leaf doesn't exist in-universe sorry.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

mabels big day posted:

having old champions/trainers to fight is always cool but the battle tree is literally just the battle tower again and there's not gonna be another Battle Frontier :(

I mean yes but once you beat the old npcs, they can join you in a double battle. What's not to love about that?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Raserys posted:

Giovanni is either dead or missing, Cyrus is trapped in Pokemon Hell, Ghetsis is a broken vegetable, Lysander is also either dead or eternally trapped under a collapsed building

Giovanni managed to make it to the PWT somehow and not be arrested.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

They said that they were developing something for the Switch, not that it was necessarily even a Pokémon game, much less a mainline game.

I imagine that this generation will be a lot like Gen 5 where there Game Freak starts to put spin offs on the Switch while any additional mainline games this generation stay on the 3DS.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Hunter Noventa posted:

If it can't fit into my pants pocket, it's not a portable system.

In that case, I've never owned a portable system, because Nintendo's never made one that can fit in women's pants pockets.

Then again, companies don't make wallets or phones that fit either.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I had trouble with that Hydreigon the first time I played BW, but then I learned of the power of Scrafty.

But yeah, for future strategy, the thing has a crippling Fighting weakness. (And Bug weakness but that can be harder to pull off a strong enough move for.)

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

McGiggins posted:

Thanks for the suggestions, guys, going to see if I can track down a copy of pokemans and a DS version of some description.

Get a 2DS, that way you can play any gen 4-7 game.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Crosspeice posted:

So with that out of the way, at level 17, Rowlet evolves and currently has 58 HP, 31 Attack and Special Attack, 34 Defense, 32 Special Defense and 23 Speed. Make of that what you will.

Interesting that they are back to different levels for starter evos, like in gen 2.

Also ugh, slow owl. :( At least it's defense stats are such that it won't get slaughtered. At least, according to Rowlet's stats.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Team Dangerous Ladies is a go.

Though I know Mimikyu is pretty late, like everyone else I wanna know how late my friends will meet me. I read that there is a Bounsweet trade on island 2, but I like to catch my friends myself.

hopeandjoy fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 16, 2016

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Pakled posted:

There's no longer the option. When you use a PC, it goes straight to the pokemon storage system with an "organize boxes" type functionality. I think that's a good change.

Can we keep this director for every Pokemon game for the rest of time

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Boxing a starter is like surrendering your childhood pet to the shelter.

You monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Soft resetting for a female Popplio is made much more annoying now that Game Freak discovered unskipable cutscenes.