Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Probably for the best, since it wasn't a very challenging boss fight

Interesting concept, perhaps, but lackluster execution

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Is it really too much to ask that any pokemon with a jaw with teeth be able to learn all the various biting moves on top of having access to the same moves as other pokemon of the same type?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Any word of the polygon count on the USM models?

That was why SM loved to drop into the single digit frame rates during double/Royale battles

And now I'm slightly curious as to how the SM Pokémon tournament from several months ago went because of that

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Then there's riding your lion/bat through space trying to find different colored holes in which pokémon dwell so you can capture them for the Nth time even though by now there's no excuse not to have a complete Living Pokédex via PokéBank

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I wonder what the Kanto/Johto League looks like seven years after Gold went through them

I'd like to think Silver became the Viridian Gym Leader, or even Champion after becoming strong enough to surpass Lance

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Curse you Kukui, for destroying my hopes of my pokemon following me around

Probably gonna use Litten this time around, since I used Rowlet (utterly useless and outclassed by all of my other pokemon) and Popplio (surprisingly useful) the last time I played SM

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Hustlin Floh posted:

Why isn't there a swordfish Pokemon?

Edit: OR A GAR?!?

I don't blame you for forgetting that exists though

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I've heard horror stories about the various trials and so far the Totems have all been evaporating before me

Doesn't help that the Trials give you an easy way to cheese them right before entering, such as Brick Break, Hawlucha and Noibat (Although Aquaranid and Marowak both fell afoul of my Duskroc's Rock Tomb, so...)

I suspect my Torracat is gonna make short work of the Grass Totem, especially if its helper does something stupid like use Sunny Day

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Dehry posted:

Japanese twitter has been drawing Ash from the 2018 movie trailer as a girl. My Japanese Pokemon feeds have a lot of fanart this morning.

https://twitter.com/MAJIbeef/status/940201216335683584

And an animated version
https://twitter.com/photo_keke/status/940638919590211584

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Dienes posted:

If you knock out a legendary in the wormhole, can you re-encounter it later? Or are you screwed out of catching it?

They only disappear for good once you catch them

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Diet Poison posted:

First of all, gently caress Ho-oh and his stupid-rear end 90 speed. I just want this stupid bird in a Fast Ball.
Second, haha, when it killed my last mon I whipped out my wallet and threw six thousand bucks at it so I could get away? This game operates on insane logic from start to finish.

How else do you think Ho-Oh pays for his harem of dancing girls?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

There's something wholesome, and rather unexpected, about seeing Ash just have a nice family breakfast with his foster parents.

Delia and Mr Mime are good parents too, but it's nice to actually see Ash be in a "normal" home family life.

Papa Kukui is best Kukui and that's the kind of SoL I can get behind instead of forced comedy like Rotom and Jigglypuff

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

People who struggled with the Necrozma fight baffle me, since I was almost level 65 by the time I got to Poni Island - and that with skipping a lot of trainer battles and running from almost half the wild pokemon fights
The way they were hyping it up and saying how hard it was made me think its Ultra Aura boosted its stats by two or three stages, but nah, it was only +1 to everything

Totem Kommo-o gave me more trouble than Ultra Necrozma did

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

sharrrk posted:

yeah same.maybe he had a lucky egg? thats all i can think of besides trading boosts

Exp. Share and Refresh Boost only, actually

I also switched pokémon a lot more than in previous generations, which meant both pokémon were getting 100% of the experience from the battle

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I'm a sucker for Dark types
Umbreon & Absol especially

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

HeartNotes3 posted:

My sister caught me a shiny Eevee which is really cool. I'm undecided which Eeveelution to pick, though--trying to decide which one has the best colors.

Someone lie to me and tell me when the Pokemon for the Switch comes out.

Get yourself a Limeon (Espeon or Jolteon)
Or whatever eeveelution that covers a type the rest of your team doesn't if you wanna be tactical about it
Don't bother with Shiny Glaceon or Leafeon though, since the differences are negligible (lighter and darker versions of the base colors respectively)

PokéSwitch is probably coming out between November 2018/November 2019 because nobody has ever heard of pacing nowadays

Just ask the Sun/Moon anime writers

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

iospace posted:

Somehow managed to beat Rainbow Rocket without wiping once.

Or z-moves :getin:

I did it without wiping, but I made it my goal to use Ultra Necrozma to slaughter their Legends via application of Heaven-Scorching Light of Destruction to the face

Helped make the lackluster execution of Episode Rocket into something vaguely more dramatic (My favorite part was the rows of Rocket Grunts holding hands to keep you from getting through - despite the player having access to literal gods to level the place if they really wanted to

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I miss the old pokemon sprites

Like when Nosepass was a whistling Easter Island head

Or maybe puckering up for a smooch

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Funkmaster General posted:

I don't know if :thejoke: or not, but that's his foot.

Yep; took me an embarrassing number of years to figure that out

Namely because I rarely run a Rock-type - Lycanroc was the first I ever used long-term and it instantly became my MVP due to being able to obliterate ya boi Guzma and became even more invaluable in Ultra Sun/Moon since it dominates half the totem pokémon with ease

Darn shame about its move pool though

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I made the mistake of picking Rowlet for my Moon playthrough and it got utterly outclassed by Magnemite (who laughs at the difficulty curve and breaks the game in half) and Makuhita (who was my MVP in ORAS and I was happy to see had made it to Alola)

Then I picked Incineroar for Ultra Moon and was once again outclassed by everything else on my team (I also had a stupid amount of Dark types because the game loves to throw them at you because they hard-counter the most laughable boss in the entire history of the series)

"Behold, Ultra Necrozma! A being capable of devouring an entire world's light, has a higher BST than God, and has one of the most epic Z-moves - aaaaand it dies to a zorua disguised as a poison/fighting type, of course."

I didn't even have to use Malamar's Topsy-Turvy to weaken it

Heck, the Dragon Totem was more challenging
Veteran Brone on Route 14 was also particularly devastating as well since I didn't have a single grass-type on my team to kill his Whiscash

As for useless pokémon, I'm quite fond of Skitty thanks to the Mystery Dungeon games, where picking it is basically Hard Mode since you'll never deal Super Effective damage thanks to Normalize

Same goes for picking Chikorita in Gen II games since Team Rocket uses poison a fair amount
And then you pick up things like Mareep, Growlithe, and Lapras to cover for it

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Happy Jolteon Day and all that entails

given how we have nearly three times as many pokemon as there are days in the year, I wonder if there's any overlap...

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Nth Doctor posted:

So I know that Ultra Necrozma kinda comes out of nowhere and can eat teams for breakfast. I just ran into it yesterday and it outsped and OHKO'd 4 of my team members and 2HKO'd everything else. Did everyone just cheese the fight with toxic?

or did you FEAR it like I did :c00lbutt:

To my detriment, I had three different pokemon who could've taken down UN

Malamar with Topsy-Turvy to debuff it
Zoroark with Illusion to troll it
Inciniroar to Z-Move the heck out of it

The game gives you a LOT of Dark-types at the start of the game

As a result, I struggled more against the Dragon Totem (Used Play Rough to get rid of its Berry, then revived, and Snuggled it to death)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Diet Poison posted:

It is GameFreak As gently caress to implement something that poorly and have the only way to change it be by going to some out of the way building on another island that you've already been to and have no real reason to ever go back to until you google "how to change ultra warp ride controls". Couldn't have one of the Ultra Spacemen who lets you swap between SunLion and MoonBat also let you swap controls, could we? No, that would make sense!!

Should've also put the Recon people by the Alter wormhole that would both heal your pokemon and let you swap rides so you don't have to go to Ultra Megalopolis again to swap and to a pokemon center to heal

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

lezard_valeth posted:

I considered Golisopod but going through the game with a Wimpod for 30 levels is definitely not gonna be fun.

It's not that bad, actually

Just keep it in your first slot and keep switching it out, which will result in it getting 100% of the experience points from a battle rather than the usual 50% if it never participated (unless the Exp. Share is turned off, in which case it'll split it with other pokémon like it did in older generations)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Good ol' name pronounce debates

Nothing is going to make me say "Arkeus" or "Raykwayza" though

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

nrook posted:

Arkeus actually sounds way more impressive and godlike than Arceus. Why didn't they just write the name with a k to begin with?

I'd probably have been more receptive if the pronunciation had been Arkeus, with the first half of the name being based off Archaic

Are-KAY-us
ARE-key-us

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Imagine if pokémon either kept their Japanese names or were pronounced literally like their cries, whether it's the anime or game versions

If only for Solrock to be named "Blblblbl"

Then you'd have to carry around an orchestra if you ever wanted to pronounce Kriketune correctly

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Slugma/Magcargo are liquid. :colbert:

You'd think sentient magma would be a cause for concern
There's so many pokedex entries that make me wonder just what PokeEarth humans are made out of that they can stand next to Macargo and not burst into flame, or use Ghost types that seem seconds away from dragging them to another dimension or cursing them into oblivion

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Bongo Bill posted:

It would be decrepit old bird -> egg or nestling -> handsome young bird

evolves into

evolves into

I wonder...would a proper phoenix evolution line "die" at level 100 and be reborn in its first stage evo at level 1?
Or maybe there'd be an item *coughsacredashcough* that triggers growth/regression?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I am Reverend posted:

Hoopa Unbound has been broken since day 1 I don't know why it's never gotten any traction

Doesn't it have a 4x weakness to Dark? Reasonably sure any pokémon that's used in Comp that can learn Sucker Punch would have it in their moveset

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Ignite Memories posted:

Looker is a bad name for a human being

It's a code name though

Officer Handsome Looker, of the International Police, he who can climb waterfalls with his bare hands and does most of his work without the help of pokemon

his Post-Game quests in XY and SM are probably some of the best parts of those games

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Let Ash win a League and have a Champion League Circuit arc where we can learn more about the Elite Four and Champions, and have Ash battle a bunch of them and ultimately lose to a champion or something

Would've liked to see people like Sydney and Grimsley in the anime

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

It ain't no Waluigi with Bayonetta legs, or Zero Suit Ridley, but it's better than nothing

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

RatHat posted:

Nevermind, just got Poke Pelago and Rainbow beans aren't as rare as I thought they'd be.

Prior to Pelago, I stopped by the pokémon center for my daily beans, since feeding your pokémon can get you several rare candies by the time you leave the first island (unless you blaze through the first island in ~3/4 hours in a single play session)

It's great, even if it trivializes the game even more than it already is

"Oh look, a level 20 Totem pokémon. Sure would suck if my pokémon weren't level 35."

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Lotta narrow black eyes, which eventually turned into big doofy eyes around Gen IV

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

RatHat posted:

How hard is the Rainbow Rocket episode? Can I do it as soon as it unlocks(basically right after Elite 4) or should I level up a bit more?

So long as you're somewhere in the sixties, you should be all set
Be prepared for a very long repetitive gauntlet of trainers though, since they were too lazy to incorporate other regions' grunts into the team (granted, knowing most of the team leaders, they didn't give a hoot about their Grunts to bother collecting them in this timeline, so...)

https://twitter.com/wingwire_/status/993476284465405952

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 8, 2018

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

mandatory lesbian posted:

i like the trumpets in rse

My favorite comment on a Hoenn track was "Hoenn: Abusing the trumpets because they were new."

A runner-up is "ALL RISE FOR THE NATIONAL HOENN TENTACOOL ANTHEM." on the Surf theme

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

less laughter posted:

Make this a real Pokémon, Game Freak. The Switch games are the perfect opportunity for it.

Well, given how Pikachu tends to get some new gimmick just about every generation, I wouldn't be surprised if it got a split evolution or Mega (*cause screw Raichu, I guess? You had your moment as Alolan Raichu at least)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Parrotine posted:

I hate hate HATE Captain Kiawe and his bullshit Mega Kangaskhan antics at the Battle Tree. Not once has it failed to completely wall my entire team on my 30+ streak run, my Dragonite/Metagross/Mimikyu team has no counters for it and its dumb Parental Bond antics outside of sheer luck.

What do I gotta bring to this fight to tear down this wall of his? Any tree teams some posters use here that work particularly well against this overgrown bunny of his?

Rocky Helmet? Will-o-Wisp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Coating the competition, I see

Good speed, good attack, mediocre defenses and HP, terrible movepool though
Interesting effect on Plasma Fists though - any Normal-type moves used during the rest of the turn become Electric-type
...So does a Normal-type Z-move become Electric? 'Cause that sounds hilarious