Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My LFGS can't get jack poo poo. No Relic Knights, no Guild Ball. Doesn't really matter since the one guy who is there is a total GW fan. He literally bought 2-3 starter sets for AoS. Bought all the board games. Loves it. To bad the GW shelf is still about half as big as it used to be and the space is taken up with Star Wars.

He is also the reason some of friends don't go to the game store anymore. Wear deodorant kids!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

NTRabbit posted:

Naiad Wyrmriders are a large cavalry option in both the Forces of Nature (main rulebook), and Trident Realms of Neritica (Uncharted Empires book) armies. Three to a regiment, six to a horde. The Trident Realms also get a hero unit, the Naiad Wymrider Centurion.

I am so glad I have a lizardman army painted up. Now I can work on Forces of Nature army for cheap! Though I do have to get the Uncharted Empires book at some point.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

fnordcircle posted:

I really think 3d printing will become ubiquitous to the point of rendering existing manufacturing and supply chains obsolete (and not just for wargaming, obviously). It's really just a question, to me, of when.

Ubiquitous 3d printers in a fantasy utopia versus an eroding middle class being taught to fear and hate the poors and foreigners until the whole thing reaches an inevitable tipping point. Yup.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TTerrible posted:

Yeah but unless you're running Wordpress or Phpbb you should be fine from random middle/Far East vuln scanning crap. It's staggering incompetence.

Warseer was truly awful.

My favorite part of running a web server at my house back in the day (other than an excuse to write perl scripts) was seeing all the people still trying buffer overruns.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Not to mention GW has been doing 3D printing for their masters and prototypes for around a decade now.

A lot of companies (at least the bigger ones) have been doing this as well. My halfling by Mantic was a 3d printed master.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

checking back up on things after 8 years or so i was blown away by how much of their range is still the old stuff

this guy here is from about when gorkamorka was released

$35

The funny thing is that trucks/trakks are great in the new codex, and they still haven't made new ones. They can't even do that right!

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DancingShade posted:

3rd wasn't great but it was still better than anything that came later because the initial rules weren't bloated at all.

It bloated over time of course and 4th onwards was all downhill.

3rd was the rhino rush days, wasn't it. Yeah, that sounded like fun.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ilor posted:

If you look at it from their perspective, they are doing it right - they're giving you an incentive to buy a kit that's already more than made up its design and tooling costs. Every old-rear end WarTrakk they sell you is almost pure profit at this point. Designing and tooling a new one costs them money, and if they can get you to buy the old one anyway, why would they want to do that?

I would argue not really because I never see that kit on the shelves because they are direct only.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sinistrum: Warp Charge 2: The enemy unit rerolls successful fear checks. Units that are fearless, have They Shall Know No Fear, or are immune to fear checks are immune to this power. If a unit affected by this power passes a fear check it gains a 6+ FNP save (or increases their existing FNP by 1, to a maximum of 4+).

LordAba fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Aug 28, 2016

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Makes me glad Infinity doesn't have a German group.

Though one of the people I know was upset that Haqqislam wasn't all suicide bombers.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I got pretty good luck selling crap at cons.
I'm hoping to get a couple hundred for my ork army at adepticon and never buy another army from GW again (beyond any new poo poo for my nids).

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ilor posted:

read: "I swear I'm off heroin for good. But look, hey, oxy, I'm still gonna do as much of that poo poo as I can."

Naw. I fire-saled all my fantasy except for my lizardmen because A) they were painted and B) Kings of War.
Dumping all 40k except for tyranids because A) I have a cool theme and they are coming along paint wise and B) most people around here play 40k and it is pretty slim pickings in the middle of midwest.

Unless you mean minis in general. Then yeah. I still get my plastic crack from nicer dealers that sell a better product cheaper.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Radish posted:

Who the gently caress wants to play Munchkin in 2016? I see it in game stores but no one is ever playing it.

I ask the same question about Flux but I think that is to scam parents into buying stuff for their nerd kids based on the box theme.

Yeah, why play Munchkin when EXPLODING KITTENS exists?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So Jedi are the Mary Sue Grey Knights of Star Wars?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Avenging Dentist posted:

Don't forget that they murder women.

No Grey Knight has been corrupted and they are 100% pure. Except for the their Purifiers who are SUPER 100% pure and haven't been super corrupted. For reals.

Iceclaw posted:

Only at that time it held actual meaning instead of being shorthand for "I think this character I don't like is overpowered" like it is now.
e: Just for info, I was more refering to Jedi rather than GK.

Didn't mean to but a bee in your bonnet, but at the same time learn to take a joke on the website www dot something awful dot com. I mean, the posts above yours was about Jedi in RPGs being super powerful and stuff.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

dmnz posted:

I think I might be able to finish grieving for death of the games I once loved if I stopped reading threads about them every day.

Maybe I'll also pack up the models that never get used any more and accept that my orc's and goblins will never be finished.
Seeing them in the cabinet everyday keeps the wounds too fresh..

Ebay + Kings of War will help you out. Or 9th age if that is your thing.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It is sad, my friend called me up about all the Blood Angel and Chaos rumors getting him excited to play and I just listened to him for a while. He then asks my opinion and I just have to say I don't care. Like, enjoy your formations I guess? It's not like GW is going to put out a legit codex anytime soon. Just keep piling on that poo poo.

I like hanging out and playing games. But if it was between a bad game and a good game I'd rather play a good game.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
New genestealer cult! Okay, let's take a look. Yup, 40 bucks for 5 guys that aren't much bigger than a human for a 12 point model. Great job.
Though you can buy the formation that requires 3 boxes of them for 120 dollar! It saves you from having to click more than once!

Unless they are TOTALLY going to change the stats of the Acolytes it is pretty obscene.

EDIT: I think it is probably because of when I got into Games Workshop, but any trooper box over 35 dollars just seems nuts to me.

LordAba fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 25, 2016

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Avenging Dentist posted:

It's because 1) they price based on sprue size/count and not based on number of guys, and 2) the Acolyte set ($40 for 5 guys) both has more options and less-efficient sprue layout than the Neophyte set ($40 for 10 guys). As always with GW products, the limiting factor is legs.

This is bad for a couple reasons, as they could have easily packaged up the Acolyte set for 40 for 10 without losing much in the material cost (plastic is fairly cheap) and packaging (it would take less space to ship one box of ten than two boxes of five).

Thus the real reason is hubris.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
^^^ If (emphasis on if) it is a good read but ultimately changes nothing I'm okay with it. See endless Tyranid v Ork war!

Vitamin P posted:

Holy moly. Is it just skellies and dwarves or do all Mantic sprues come with awesome little mascots?

Most of them do, to some degree or another. Demons get little imps, elves get cats, salamanders get... flame drops? Niads get a toad and otter (and a Basilean in a net).

The humans don't get anything cool like that yet.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Avenging Dentist posted:

From what I understand, Warmachine has an active metaplot too, but I don't know much about it since I don't play it. It's also, you know, not a trash game.

Eh, so far they have shown that no warlock/warcaster will ever die ever.

The whole "Coleman Stryker in Menoth land" thing was kind of a huge let down as well. Stryker is the "big American Cygnar hero", and was feeling bad about killing all the Menoth people until some magic fairy dust bullshit happened and he ended up killing the evil leader of the Menoth people and getting over all the dark poo poo he did without anyone second guessing it.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Actually, is there any game that has more than one black man in it? Warmachine just has Siege...

Actually Malifaux has Marcus and Toni (technically Toni is a black female, but there you go).
EDIT: Oh, one of the deadly sins is black as well!

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bonus for being prepaint!

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

glitchkrieg posted:

Aren't the rumours that there's going to be a big change next year, and quite likely it'll result in Slaanesh being squatted, just like AOS?

This is a good thing for me as it means I'll never be tempted back into 40K and their remaining boring Chaos gods. Except for maybe Nurgle.

Taking Slaanesh out of 40k would be dumb cause how else are you going to explain the Emperor's Children. Granted they pulled the clock BACK on the 13th crusade, so who knows.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Rufus posted:

It's another reason Arcane Legions was cool. The 3 core factions were Roman, Egyptian, and Chinese. So nobody was Whitey McWhitewhite.

I wished Hell Dorado had gotten popular as I loving loved their Middle Eastern faction.

Yeah, I still have the Saracens and the atheist Hell demons that are fighting for independence from Lucifer.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Void Shield generator is 100 bucks. That's even in US dollars! 100 bucks for a single piece of terrain that isn't even *that* big.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So far my favorite part of the new Genestealer Cult codex is the implied rape and incest.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I live in the midwest, will trade good cheese for good seafood. Fish fries only get you so far.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

enri posted:

Exactly this. BB and GB are a world apart, practically the only shared attribute is "sports game in a fantasy settings". I'm already knee deep in Guild Ball teams and I play regularly, so won't be picking the set up, but I will be throwing some money at GW for a tarted up Blood Bowl because I lost all my old BB stuff years and years ago.

Blood bowl is a board game.
Guild Ball is a miniatures game.

There it is!

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

fnordcircle posted:

Being fair here, the point was that if you aren't measuring from base to base then model overhang is no longer an issue. In the base AoS rules the spearman doesn't have more range because the whole model still has to start behind the 12" deployment zone and rotating the model would still count as movement.

True LoS is the dumbest possible LoS system.

I really don't like Infinity's LoS + Cover system. If the cover system was better, or buildings more abstract, it would work. But you take the worse of True LoS with a very restrictive cover system and it is a pain in the rear end. Especially if you are a new player (like I am) and don't know how to call bullshit on unfair terrain setups.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gumdrop Larry posted:

Doesn't Infinity use a silhouette system where everything has a defined cylinder of space it occupies/measures from ala Warmahordes? That's the opposite of true LoS.

It uses this for models, but you have to draw true line of sight around terrain to the model.

The opposite of true Line of Sight is pure abstraction. This guy is Size 2 with this hill being Size 3 so you can't see me. Otherwise Age of Sigmar is the only true line of sight system because all others have some form of abstraction.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Daedleh posted:

the worst LOS systems are those that think a "forest" literally consists of 3 trees with no bushes or other forestry in between.

take these forest bases literally. there is no foliage or anything that could block or provide cover in between those trees.

At there is scrub in this post. It's you.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Hmm, I used to own GW ogres and I never had problems with overhang.

Not a viking posted:

Which part of Infinity's cover system is the worst part of TLoS? The "Get a model's eye view" part? I agree that it can be a pita sometimes, its not as elegant as KoW. Otoh, the silouettes help (you only need to see a 3x3 mm square of the silouette to have LoS )

The need to touch cover combined with the model's eye view. Shooting through a tiny window that I'm touching? Cover. Shooting through a tiny window that I'm 1mm away from? No cover.
Maybe I'm just used to other systems, but it just seems annoyingly specific. Deadzone does TLoS right with very permissive cover (aka assume cover at all times unless you can fully see the model).

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Not a viking posted:

Isn't Deadzone VERY lenient when it comes to movement and placing? Like your dude can move up to three squares, but can be placed anywhere in the square he lands on? I guess Infinity is a lot easier to gently caress up in that if you fail to cover a corner with your 180 degree LoS you could be hosed.

Yeah, in deadzone you could squares for range and movement, so no tape measure. Then you can place guys anywhere in a specific square. Terrain is usually in two types, scatter terrain which you can place randomly and building terrain which you usually align to the squares to make things easier (though you certainly don't have to). So if there is rubble in half of a square you will usually put your guys behind the rubble for cover.
Being fully open grants... 2 more dice for rolling ranged attacks I believe.

I get WHY they chose the cover system for Infinity, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. Like I don't like the fact that only one trooper can peek around a corner and still gain cover, while a second trooper would have to be fully open when peeking. It is more of a personal annoyance.
Also the fact that you can basically Skaven your way to victory according to my friend. Fine, okay, just not my cup of tea.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
^^^ Both Endless Fantasy Tactics and Aetherium are stupidly good mini games that you play on a grid.

Ilor posted:

Skaven your way to victory?

My friend wins by getting victory points / objectives early on, then throwing crap guys at the enemy to cause enough losses that he can run his model away.

Mordhiem terminology.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ilor posted:

Uh, two things here: first, that only works for games where you can move with the objective (of which ITS actually has very few), and second, getting objective points early and keeping your opponent from doing the same is pretty much how you win at wargames. Like, all wargames.

And I think that of all of the games I've played, Infinity has some of the best mechanics for dealing with swarm lists. Because everyone gets an "Automatic Reaction Order," you don't have to wait until your opponent's turn to lose guys. If your opponent is clever and has set up strong AROs over the objectives, all that feeding orders to your crap dudes to rush the objective does is get your crap dudes killed in your own turn. It's not like 40K where you might literally only have enough shots to kill half of your opponent's grots/orks/gaunts/whatever in 6 turns.

You misunderstand: he basically indicated that:
1) Get a 1 point lead on objectives
2) Get most of your guys killed so you retreat
3) The game ends because you have no more models on the table, thus you win the game.

Unless I'm missing something in his description of what he does.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Rufus posted:

Isn't that basically what Rivet Wars is?

Pretty much! I know they had plans for 3rd faction, but haven't heard anything new about it for a while.
The only problem is that you really need an expansion out-of-the-box. The base game is fun enough but can feel a little samey, but adding even a single different unit opens up the game play so much.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Coolness Averted posted:

I'd like to see all the ugliness folks are talking about as inside jokes laid out. Like what actually happened to Warhammer fantasy and why/how this is a different thing other than a new branding or lore advancement. More info about the dumb rules used to discourage legacy armies and so on, or if it's just hyperbole.

Age of Sigmar is as much "lore advancement" as ripping all the pages out of one of the Harry Potter books and writing bad fanfic on the inside cover is enhancing the experience of Harry Potter.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Avenging Dentist posted:

Also, guess what faction these guys are for:

If you said Genestealer Cults, you're right!!

No way! The guys with the genestealer cult icons and hosed up heads and in the genestealer cult part of the website are part of the genestealer cult? gently caress.

You do know these are just alt versions of the Neophytes that DO have all new sculpts, right?

LordAba fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

StuG Jeebus posted:

There's no hair-splitting. There's at least three different kits being sold as Genestealer cults that reuse old sculpts with some new heads and icons. You are objectively wrong.

Which is fine since it is mostly just vehicles. Chimera, Sentinals, and Lemon Russes. You don't even have to include any bodies when building them if you don't want.

• Locked thread