Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Xbox goons, add mcred23. I think I added most of you who posted over the last page or two already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Beastie posted:

Graphics got better once I turned off all the post processing, but the snow is still blindingly bright.

I haven’t had a problem with the snow maps so much as the bright desert ones, particularly Hamada during the first part of Grand Operations. Don’t know if it’s something in the settings, but that part just feels like glare about half the match, unless you’re down in the artillery positions.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Rorobb posted:

Also am I crazy or is it a graphical downgrade? I am on the base PS4 so maybe it’s better on the pro

I feel the same way on a launch Xbox One console.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Beach Party posted:

So what game mode would be the best to get 20 hipfire kills (on a capture point within 1 round) with the STEN? I'm on the last step of mastery for it and it's such a poo poo hipfire gun that I'm struggling more than I thought I would. Ive been doing conquest trying to stay on the most contested points but after about 15 games I'm still coming up short each time.

Some mode that focuses more on objectives than Conquest. I’d say try Grand Operations or Breakthrough. It’s difficult to achieve during the initial airborne phase of Grand Ops, but should be easier during the subsequent Breakthrough or Frontlines rounds since it focuses people to actually attack/defend over just 1-3 objectives at a time. I’ve been working on the MG34 and Sten myself and unless one team is totally overmatched, or you keep getting stuck attacking when you need to defend (Or vice versa), you ought to be able to get it fairly quickly.

EDIT: Unrelated, but has anyone had any issues since the update with upgrading weapons? I started the day with the EMP at level 2, got it up to level 4, but it won’t let me add any other specializations to the two I had already set...

fartknocker fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Dec 6, 2018

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
I like the changes to aircraft ammo and some of the other stuff, but it seems buggier than before. I’m only now getting the game freezing up trying to check assignments during a game that others commented on in the past...

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Has anyone else noticed there is seemingly no way to get more of the coins needed to actually upgrade their weapons? Other than the daily challenges, which net you 300 max, it seems like there isn’t anyway to get the dang things...

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Add to that, there are no longer cappable points that deliver extra armor. All the points are the same, there's no need to frantically try to recover a point when you suddenly get backcapped and armor spawns behind your lines.

I’ll admit that I almost never touch conquest, but based purely on Grand Operations there are at least a few that do. D (And I think C?) on Hamada spawns an extra tank and can totally change how the fight goes over that whole A/B side of the bridge there, particularly over B with the tank repair/reload station. On Fjell, Objective C spawns an extra aircraft, although that’s not nearly as impactful given the layout of that map and how most air battles play out.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

sunday at work posted:

Bayonet charges were broken garbage for the whole of BF1 and it's extremely good they they are gone.

One thing that the handful of Call of Duty games with bayonets got right is they treated them like an extended melee attack. It loving drove me nuts that BF1 (And the handful of times I tried using them in BFV) treated bayonets separately, that they’d be totally useless against an enemy standing directly in front of you if you can’t get enough of a running start, or if they’d step slightly to the side.

Anyway, anyone have an idea when the next major update is due out? I’m enjoying the game, but the issue with it not awarding company coins is getting unbearable. It shouldn’t take a loving week to upgrade one drat gun, and that’s really killing my interest in the game since I can’t really try out all the weapons and vehicles...

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
I’ve gotten jumpy from my own drat footsteps a few times now, it’s insane how much louder they are.

EDIT: Having done a few rounds of it for the Tides of War event, Squad Conquest is total rear end, particularly if you don’t have a legit squad to play with. 8v8 sounds nice in theory, but the maps are still a bit too large for such a small group of players.

fartknocker fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jan 17, 2019

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

sunday at work posted:

Bring back no time limit Frontlines.

gently caress yeah.

Some of the best Frontlines matches I played in BF1 were three hour, back and forth meat grinders on Rupture and Verdun Heights.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
A heads up, for those of you who don’t check the PC thread or haven’t logged in recently, but the retroactive Company Coins have started being awarded. I just got 130,000 dumped on me :D

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
For the AA Valentine, I think it’s the other (Left?) side of the specialization tree that gives you case ammunition, which is very effective against infantry. Usually one or two hits at anything other than long range will kill a target. The standard 40mm cannon is okay against troops, usually taking three or four near hits to kill someone, and can definitely hurt other vehicles if you get the drop on them. It also helps that you get such a huge load of ammo (200 regular shells plus 40 case), so you can really do some damage. On maps or modes, Aerodrome on Breakthrough being the first that comes to my mind, it can ruin the other team if used properly.

Aside from that, AA is kinda hosed in an actual anti-aircraft role, but the next patch is supposed to fix that. I can’t say if the triple-barrel 20mm is any good, as I’ve never used and honestly can’t recall ever seeing it used so far. :shrug:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Yeah, the 20mms don’t do a drat thing against armored targets at the moment. They’ll shred infantry and aircraft, but I’m not real sure how effective they are against fortifications or buildings.

I actually like the rocket path. The regular machine guns are usually enough to kill (Or at least spot) infantry, and that combined with the speed of the Mosquito makes it really solid for quick strafing/rocket passes over a target, particularly against tanks or AA positions.

I know one of the Spitfire variants (VA?) has rockets and 20mms, but I think that lacks wing repair or something, and doesn’t have the same pure speed as the Mosquito, and I’ve found that the fewer number of machine guns makes that a bit less effective against infantry, although to be fair I haven’t used that one as much (Other than that one match on Panzerstorm a few weeks back).

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
:dice:

https://twitter.com/BenWalke/status/1095780979405402113

RIP Staghound and 38T for now (Until they patch it back or whatever)

Also, Combined Arms is okay but kinda weird after my first runs through it. AI isn’t horrible, but if you’re going solo you basically have to be a medic armed with something controllable, since there aren’t supply stations everywhere to reload ammo for the more bullet hose-y types, and you’ll keep running into bullet sponges armed with flamethrowers...

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

The Bananana posted:

Anyone run into a bug where there is no counter for the attacking team on breakthrough matches?

3 games today I had no ticket counter. We just played for like 35 minutes, till we exhausted the defending team, sector after sector, with no consequence for just throwing Mans at them

Yeah, I’ve seen it. I think it was mentioned in the PC thread as coming from the latest update. You’ll still get the “50% of attackers remaining” and other messages now and then, but other than that the only clue to how many tickets remain that I’ve noticed is the icon starts flashing when it gets below like 20 or 10.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

The Bananana posted:

Why.

In the flying gently caress

Does dice make it so that when you are very close to someone, you pull out your knife and melee instead of, oh, I don't know, blowing them the gently caress away with a shotgun?

Worse still,

worse loving still,

Why have it so that, once you've done this, and have the knife out, pulling the trigger only continues to use your knife, even if you've backed away. instead of, I don't know, using your gun again.

Why?

Why is this a mechanic if the game?

gently caress you, Dice.

Because you hosed me.

The same reason why, on a gun equipped with a bayonet, you had to pull out your knife/shovel/axe/dildo/whatever and use that to perform some complicated melee dance to kill someone, rather than just poking forward the knife already attached the end of your gun that’s probably already pointed at them anyway.

That was one of the few things about CoD melee I liked more (In their handful of games with bayonets, anyway).

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

FastestGunAlive posted:

They need to not have scopes greater than 4x and bring back class neutral weapons so you can utilize the very useful spawn beacon and flare gun but with a shotty or smg. I like the p08 carbine, never even touched the sniper class in this game until it was released, but it’s a little weak

I just wish iron sighted stuff was better balanced. I could run around with the Lee-Enfield or M95 as an aggressive scout in BF1 and knew I stood a fair chance (And usually did very well). I loving loved it since fewer players had weapons with massive rates of fire and I never thought the sweet spot mechanic was overblown. In BFV, if you don’t land a headshot, half the time you’re dead before the second shot can be fired because the overwhelming majority of players either have full auto weapons, and even most semi-auto ones have rates of fire three or four times better than any bolt action rifle, which don’t have a great damage advantage anymore.

Long range snipers can still go gently caress themselves. The Boys is mildly interesting, but it’s even useless against half tracks and light vehicles you’d think it might be worth shooting at, while generally promoting the worst kind of sit back, never push, farm for kills while your team gets annihilated sniping.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
I liked both maps for breakthrough, although Pacific Storm was a bit of trouble for the Americans if they didn’t concentrate enough to take the first sector. Naturally, of course, the breakthrough only playlist of the new maps is gone. :bang: :dice:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
For the handful of people who read this thread and not the PC focused one, last major update is gonna be over the summer. I may go back to BF1 and see if that still has any decent number of players in modes worth playing...

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Julius CSAR posted:

I’ve been playing BF1 the last few days and it’s still really goddamn fun. I went like 26-10 on Argonne and yeah, game good

Yeah, I went back and played a pair of operations and was surprised how quickly a lot of it came back to me. I still love the Mondragon and some of the stuff like instant revives and crates automatically refilling health and ammo. But, at the same time, I also realized how much I missed some of the squad leader stuff like smoke and arty, and a few weapons like the bolt action infantry rifles I’d lost my touch with and I’d have to work on those again...

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Live At Five! posted:

Bolt actions feel weird because BF1 has realistic bullet velocity where I think BFV reduced it significantly.

Yeah, that definitely was getting me having just switched back.

For the majority of BF1, I used to use the G95 as my aggressive recon rifle, occasionally going to the SMLE (And pre-nerfing, the Martini-Henry), and I’d do very well with them. When I got going today, I’d had the 1917 Enfield equipped, and it handles a bit different. At one point, even with the zero set at its lowest (75 m?), I basically overshot a dude with the entire magazine. After that, I started correcting my aim point and was taking guys down okay, and I’d imagine after more than an hour or two I’d get all the ranges back in my mind.

I did also try the Martini-Henry again and drat, it still has a cool noise and everything, but just makes me miss when it was a one shot machine early on...

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Live At Five! posted:

May I suggest the Lebel infantry for your PTFO needs? It has a pretty good RoF and good bullet velocity. The sweet spot is perfect for close to mid range sniping. The reload is not great but its manageable if you reload when it's safe and double tap y or triangle when the animation for loading the last bullet starts in order to skip it.

I have 45 service stars with it plus another 11 with the frommer, which is always my pistol. Hit people once and mag dump the frommer is a fun time.

The Lebel never really clicked for me back in the day, but it may be something I’d try again. I had double digit stars with both the M.95 and SMLE, it’s just getting the adjustment going back to the game with more serious bullet drop and using iron sights, neither of which I did in BFV (Where I don’t think I’ve used bolt actions at all in the longest time).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
As always, I think it depends on the mode. In BF1, after the first month or two it came out I only played Operations, Frontlines, or Rush, which are far less wide open than Conquest and tended to see a ton of spotting, particularly by defending teams. I played a couple of Operations last night and still saw a lot of it, and there are definitely some maps/sectors that lend themselves too it.