Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Samovar posted:

OP, how could you have overlooked the best character of not just the newspaper strip, but indeed the entirity of the MCU, Clown 9?

Clown 9 was great, no question. But best character? Better than JJJ? That's a tough call. Better than Big Time? Definitely not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Since it's not in the collection in the OP, I've uploaded the Big Time story. Unfortunately Imgur has put the images in reverse order for some reason and I can't find an easy way to reverse them, so read bottom to top.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

joehonkie posted:

The saddest Jameson.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

FronzelNeekburm posted:

It's in the OP's archive from March 2003:

Oh my god, the original is even better than the edit! :allears:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

If anyone tries to tell you that newspaper Spider-Man is not the best super hero comic, show them this. :allears:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Oh my god. :roflolmao:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

If they've been shrunk way beyond ant size, how small is that spider? How big does Stan think ants are?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

:allears:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

When is JJJ getting his own movie?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The MSJ posted:

Only if they use this suggestion.

Not JK Simmons? Come on.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

Starr. .Jonah is still holding the lamp. I think he can still beat you to death

Probably not in front of three super heroes. But on the other hand it's probably not a great idea to admit to murder in front of four witnesses, even if two of them do have secret identities to protect. Also, he's also definitely going to jail for kidnapping and shrinking Pym.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mycroft Holmes posted:

No, it was a life model decoy! I, J Jonah Jameson, would never commit such a deed! Clearly this is Spidermans fault!

"You've got two vigilantes who won't even reveal their identities and one former-vigilante saying I killed him, but who are you going to believe? Those secretive lawbreakers, or me, respected publisher of a major newspaper, former television host and crusader for justice? I've been telling you for years that Spider-Man's a dangerous criminal!"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Kwyndig posted:

Nah, plenty of people have cameras. Now, if he tries to sell those specific shots somewhere as Peter Parker, maybe?

"Parker! These shots could only have been taken by someone in the room! Now don't lie to me, you bought them from Spider-Man, didn't you! That's plagiarism! Now get out of my office, I'm trying to figure out Spider-Man's secret identity!"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

FredMSloniker posted:

If you want a different strip, it looks like you go here, pick your strip, then click the 'buy prints' button. It also looks like they only keep one year's worth of strips archived, so if there's something you would want from November 2015, act quickly!

If you subscribe then you get archives going back way further than that. For Spider-Man it currently goes to October 1998.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I hope to God that THE CITY IS SAFE is the headline announcing JJ's return as owner/EIC of the Bugle :allears:

You know it is.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

davidspackage posted:

Next... Sabretooth!

Bring back Maria Lopez!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I'm pretty sure Peter got himself a staff position a couple of storylines back, but I guess Stan forgot about that.

graham cracker posted:

Wait, didn't the last arc specify that Peter doesn't own a car?
Maybe MJ owns a car?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Choco1980 posted:

MJ is a moderately successful b-level actress apparently (starring in straight to video films), she can probably afford a modest used car for her and Pete on a payment plan.

I think she's actually much more successful as a stage actor than in films.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

6 hour-long meal breaks (no breakfast, sorry kids)

I was really confused until I realised you somehow mistyped 6 instead of 2.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

notthegoatseguy posted:

How does a B rate actress and a freelance photographer for a print publication afford to live in loving Manhattan?

MJ is actually a really successful stage actor, it's just her films that are terrible. There have been storylines before about Peter hating the fact that she makes so much money while he makes barely any.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

uh, dude? spider sense detects danger.

You're thinking of regular spider-sense. Newspaper spider-sense is the exact opposite. It detects everything but danger.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I have no idea who this is (other than that his name is apparently Ronan). Anyone want to give a quick rundown of who that is and what he does?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Apparently Peter forgot that people can't see you through the phone. It's OK, you can just say "Hi, this is Spider-Man".

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

goatface posted:

I thought newspaper FF already knew who he was.

It really seems like they do, but he doesn't think they do and they're either just as dumb as he is or humouring him.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mulva posted:

You'd shop the middle panel left one, put pissed MJ in the middle, and end the same.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

What're the odds that something that came from space and was bombarded by unshielded cosmic radiation is radioactive?

Hint, they're above zero, Peter, you reckless rear end.

He already has radioactive blood.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

So does Newspaper Spider-Man just not have a Spider-Sense, or what? I can't remember the last time he actually dodged a fist/brick/other object heading for his face.

He does, it just works exactly opposite to how you'd expect. Something happening on the other side of the city that he should investigate? Spider sense. The paper he's looking for is in this desk drawer? Spider sense. J Jonah Jameson says something negative about him behind his back? Spider sense. A blunt object is heading directly for his head? Nope, no warning for that one.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

notthegoatseguy posted:

What is this Clown 9 story?

You can read it in the archives posted in the OP. Starts April 2012.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

What are considered the "best" Newspaper Spider-Man arcs, and when do they occur?

Big Time! September through December 2008.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

What gets me is didn't GOTG come out like a year and change before Ant Man?

The timing of newspaper Spider-Man cross promotion never makes sense.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

They all exist alive and well in the Newspaperverse, right?

Even if they don't now, they easily can. It's not like Stan/Larry/Whoever cares about continuity at all. J Jonah Jameson was dating a woman named Maria Lopez a while back, then Spidey had a dream and when he woke up she'd vanished and no one ever mentioned her again.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

I dunno, don't newspapers have a 2 week lead time? They'd have to be pretty much on the ball to be trolling us.

I think two weeks would be pretty much the absolute minimum for comics. Some of them are done months in advance. There have been comics where the creator has died and it's just kept going for ages afterwards because they were so far ahead.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I love that MJ and Rocket seem to be getting along and having a good time, while Peter just looks like he doesn't want to be there.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I keep askin' you - what's a raccoon?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

:confused:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Renew Your Vows. It's a real good book about Peter and Mary Jane. And their daughter.

Does Spider-Man have organic web-shooters in this one and so his daughter also has that ability, or did she steal his web-shooting device? And are some of those webs anchored to bedclothes? How are they holding in place?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

uPen posted:

We're never going to see Ronan again are we?

It could be like the time a story ended with a narration box that said "Next: Sabertooth!" and then there was an entire months-long, unrelated story before Sabertooth showed up.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Kwyndig posted:

This made me realize I had completely forgot that he drove a car with his wife in full costume, that's how crazy this drat storyline is.
That's not even unusual for newspaper Spider-Man. He's been to a doctor's appointment with his costume on underneath his clothes, he's tried to board an aeroplane in costume, he's showed up repeatedly on the set of one of MJ's films in costume (which made everyone there think she must be having an affair with Spider-Man behind Peter's back). Protecting his secret identity is basically his number one concern and yet is absolutely terrible at it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

David D. Davidson posted:

I also liketo point out that the reason Peter and MJ are still married in NSM is because Stan Lee took one look at One More Day and went "NOPE, not in my cannon."

Actually there was an announcement that something was going to change and in the next story Peter was an unmarried student again (although MJ was still his girlfriend), but then the next story started with him waking up and realising that that had been a dream and he was still a married adult. I don't know whether it was Stan or a reaction to audience feedback or what, but they did seem to be planning on rebooting it and then changed their minds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

Please put your clothes back on Rocket.

• Locked thread