Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

So the Hissho are a minor race now. I would imagine the Pilgrims will get demoted similarly, hopefully not Horatio though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Buckwheat Sings posted:

I'd love it if they made humanity space baddies in this. Then they could have a great questline for a civil war revolt to redeem themselves! It's so boring how everyone always makes the human race a generic Startrek version instead of a Babylon 5 one.

I liked the Empire in ES a lot. Cool imagery in their art, big blocky ships are my jam and plus they blended together authoritarian politics and Plutocracy.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Max posted:

I plan on playing the Cravers like the Jem'Hadar if the Changelings had all died suddenly.

That's basically the experience I had that hooked me on ES1. Finally figured out wormhole technology and jump through to the galactic core, OH poo poo the entire galaxy is overrun by Cravers and the wormhole back to my region just became the most important fortification in the galaxy.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I'd like to see UE maybe take on qualities from one of the smaller splinters (Pilgrim/Horatio/Shredyn) as a product of their story. I think that would be fun. The plot could be a power struggle and who wins is decided by how you've built your empire.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

IAmTheRad posted:

Empire is in the game now.

Emperor's Will gives a 0.1 influence bonus per industry spent.

Their race gives +1 influence, and +1 additional on temperate.

Traits are +1 industry per population on planet, -25% over-colonization penalty on empire, and +25% maximum manpower on empire.

I like the idea of using influence as basically a second kind of dust, should be interesting. Also I'm sold by the trailer.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Jastiger posted:

Worth getting early access or waiting it out for Endless Space 2? How is it shaping up, and whens the release date?

I think it's improving since its first Alpha release, but it's definitely not a complete game yet. I bought it immediately, but part of that was because I want to support Amplitude and make the game better.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

IAmTheRad posted:

Now, if these issues persist once they have it released, that is something else. I have faith in Amplitude that the game will be fun when they are all finished with it. Just wondering what races will be in the final game. I can still hope for Vaulters/Mezari.

The Mezari are in. That's apparently what humans are called now, according to the UE.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

IAmTheRad posted:

So, no vaulters as a major race.

A shame. Only one human race.

The Mezari are a subfaction of the Vaulters, and the Mezari are what the Endless Space universe now calls humans, so there... are.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Clarste posted:

In ES2, the Mezari are considered a subfaction of the UE.

Mezari seems to have replaced the word "human" in ES2. "Subfaction" seems to be kind of an understatement. If you look at the population breakdown for a world, they use the word "Mezari" for everyone on the UE's homeworld.

uber_stoat posted:

I thought the Mezari were just the group of humans that at some date in the distant past colonized the United Empire homeworld. it's their name for themselves. the setting timeline is placed so far out in the future that Earth isn't even mentioned or remembered.

Pretty much. The UE description says their homeworld was claimed by a "fleet of Mezari settlers"

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 18, 2017

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

The Endless used it as a biology research testbed. They're all, essentially, leftover toys.

Are the Roving Clans an offshoot of the prisoner ship like the Vaulters, do we know?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

They've been demoted to a minor faction. They're in the game files, along with the vaulters and the unfallen.

I'm surprised to hear that about the Vaulters, since they are already more or less in the game as the Mezari/UE

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I mean, I'm not posting in this thread much because I'm busy playing the game, rather than thinking about playing the game.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

IAmTheRad posted:

Hoping it's the vaulters. Curiously absent.

They're not absent. Vaulters became the United Empire.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Avasculous posted:

A lot of extra influence IIRC. Wait, maybe that's the Endless homeworld?

Auriga was one of their special lab planets, not their homeworld.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

IAmTheRad posted:

Come on vaulters, full race. Not offshoot of the UE.

This is like wanting the Massachussets Bay Colony in Civ because the United States isn't specific enough. The UE are what the Vaulters became after they left Auriga.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I was looking around for some of the art to show a friend and I came upon this. I knew that there was a place it needed to be.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 28, 2018

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Tree Bucket posted:

There had better be one of these for each faction...

If there's not you can make them in MS Paint, it only takes like ten minutes.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I always pictured rush buying as you just smearing enough dust over the unfinished parts and saying "finish this please" and it turns into the missing wall of the building or whatever.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Wild Walkers are the simplest and most straightforward faction. If you don't wanna deal with gimmicks they're your guys.

Alternatively both Drakken and Vaulters have very powerful defensive safety nets you can fall back on.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Much like Cultists are the designated Play Tall faction, I think Vaulters are one of the best if you like to play wide because of their travel ability. I like to do that so I get a lot of mileage out of them.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

My first game, I thought you could only upgrade the equipment on heroes, so the only way I could win fights late-game was to mass four or five heroes and use my unupgraded units as meat shields for them.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I feel like Legend as a setting would be more interesting than Space, really. Honestly, there isn't much unique or interesting in Space; it's just an original sci fi setting, of which we have loads (Mass Effect, Star Trek, etc.). While Legend is a very neat blend of low technology and magic, with high technology and advanced poo poo mixed in, almost like Numenara.

I think there's a lot interesting in the race concepts and the mini-stories that come from them. I like the Unfallen and their whole sentience being built around the dual role of fire in plant growth especially. Legend does have a lot stronger core story and presentation to it, thanks to being on a planet and all. It's a lot easier to build something for audiences to wrap their head around since that's also where we live.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

"Volcanic terrain can be a rough starting position for most races, since it’s very scarce in food, but ... most Volcanic Tiles have above-average yield of Industry, along with Science and Dust"

Guess where I'm starting all my Broken Lords from now on?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I think a big difference between the Cravers and Hissho is that the Cravers need to roll over weak adversaries, whereas the Hissho can thrive while facing a more powerful enemy. It's not about chewing up worlds and needing new ones, they just need people to fight. The existence of the Cravers is always an existential threat, but hypothetically you could maintain a state of Cold War with the Hissho.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Tree Bucket posted:

I really enjoyed playing the Hissho as the galactic policeman, ony allying with empires in trouble and only declaring war on empires with higher scores than mine, that sort of thing. Going full aztec-samurai-death-cult is absolutely a viable option too!

This sounds like an amazing concept and I am very excited to try it out

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Prism posted:

Since the series was brought up, how's Galciv 3?

I tried to play it for like an hour and was like "this is just GalCiv 2 but prettier... but not by much."

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

LeSquide posted:

I don't have Supremacy yet; do you think there's an issue with too many tall factions in ES 2?

There's the Hissho and

uh

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

And their gates let them defend their border much more effectively than anyone else, so they have one less problem with going wide than anyone else.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

TBH I've never been a fan of the vaulter cavalry

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I think a party-based rpg would be pretty cool.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I would reskin Phantom Doctrine and make a Forgotten game, just like that.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I would recommend Shifters as the one content one to grab. It gives you something to do in winter besides hit end turn

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Morlugon from the Endless Legend subreddit has made a PnP conversion of Endless Legend into a system called FantasyAGE. Thought I would share it here. The document is pretty slick and got a big thumbs up from some folks at Amplitude.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WztQ4GPCdHjt5lLq-hcP7dfTH2Bzfdis/view

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

toasterwarrior posted:

Using cultural transitions as indicators of progress is real interesting as an idea.

I like the idea of moving from superpower to superpower to shape history. The movement of centers of power is something that historical 4X games have really struggled to model since they're, y'know, video games and so whatever you play as is the main character of the game.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The Human Crouton posted:

Excellent. Civilization needs some direct competition.

I admire their willingness to take a swing straight at the champ.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Kurtofan posted:

I really want to see motorized chariots now

Those are one of the saddest cuts from Fallout New Vegas.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Clarste posted:

The Vaulters are just some guys, they're not important.

They're the PoV that forms the spine of the series though?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I think there's a game in the idea of trying to find ways to operate a far-flung interstellar empire through hands-off methods and working through intermediary layers of authority, but it's definitely not a 4X game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Tulip posted:

we could very well have a president who grew up on these games

Only if they stop suppressing voter turnout for Ace Watkins