Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Many years!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Whatever gets butts in pews for your local church. Shop around.
Tear out the pews.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

my dad posted:

The list of things Facebook thinks I am, judging by the stuff it regularly suggests to me: gay republican pro-putin atheist mra neo-nazi who wants to kill all muslims

Pellisworth posted:

so... Milo Yiannopoulos?
All of a sudden I'm wondering what would happen if Milo met 02varvara.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

I still like Godwinopoulos's Law, from r/OrthodoxChristianity:

quote:

Defintion: During an internet Orthodox argument, the first person to suggest that another go to confession automatically loses. It will also get your comment removed.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

zonohedron posted:

The Eastern Orthodox in general are much less, uh, particular about rules, so I can't imagine it's any different for any of their, uh... subgroups. (Is "particular church" an Orthodox term too?)
Less particular about rules, but my priest and bishop are very particular about paperwork.

Smoking Crow posted:

Some women cover their heads in orthodox services, but others don't

It's mostly the Russians who cover their heads in my experience
Yeah, I go to a Greek church, and most of the women there keep their heads uncovered, except for a few convert families.

When I first started going, someone told me it had to do with when the Greeks were under the Ottomans.

Keromaru5 fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 22, 2016

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

I don't know that it's possible to have a church too small for a potluck. The storefront OCA church I went to this last Sunday had one for its churchwarming, complete with a Byzantine church cake.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Now that I think about it, I think every church I've ever been to has had a kitchen.

Of course, a number of those were Catholic churches that also had Catholic schools attached.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Huh, so a Catholic church in my town is trying to start the canonization process for a local priest who died in a Yellow Fever epidemic in the 1800's.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

And co-producing My Big Fat Greek Wedding.

Also, something I thought the thread would like:
https://twitter.com/CarolineWazer/status/783346974217084929

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

Wait back up: I know that the New Testament claimed that Jesus was Isildur's David's Heir, but are you saying that the Book of Mathew traces the lineage through Joseph of Aramathiah (sorry for spelling)?

Because...how does that work alongside Immaculate Conception and Virgin Birth? Or is this a case of "It's God, I don't have to explain poo poo"
No, he means Joseph, Jesus' stepfather. Joseph of Arimathea doesn't come into the narrative until the crucifixion -- he donates the tomb for Jesus' burial.

The very first chapter of Matthew is a patrilineal genealogy from Abraham to Jesus, through Joseph. Mary is generally assumed to have Davidic ancestry as well, so the fact that Joseph was only Jesus' father by adoption doesn't affect His status as Son of David.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Here's what St. Athanasius has to say about the necessity of the crucifixion. Most of it is about why Christ chose public crucifixion in particular rather than some other means of death. He does, however, say that Christ "did not arrange the manner of his own death lest He should seem to be afraid of some other kind. No. He accepted and bore upon the cross a death inflicted by others, and those others His special enemies, a death which to them was supremely terrible and by no means to be faced; and He did this in order that, by destroying even this death, He might Himself be believed to be the Life, and the power of death be recognized as finally annulled."

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

In less Lutheran news, the Ecumenical Patriarch put out this letter commemorating his 25th anniversary, which my priest (and I suppose any priest under the EP) read in full during the Liturgy today. Which meant I got to hear my parish priest utter the phrase "space debris."

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Mr Enderby, I know how you feel. I have a former friend who joined ISIS.

I suppose a big difference is that in her case, I actually do feel incredible pity for her. The article goes into great detail about her struggles in life and her desperate search for meaning and identity. But even beyond that, I always think back to the friend I remember, the cheerful and passionate activist who was in my writing group. I also remember one of our last conversations--mostly that it was, ironically, a positive and illuminating chat about religion, after her conversion to Islam. All I can really do is pray for her, in the hope that God can lead her to some kind of repentance, or bring some good out of her evil.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Theotokorb

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Merry Christmas, everybody! I cut down on Internet use and held back on posting during the Nativity Fast, but now I'm back.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

HEY GAL posted:

what a beautiful thing to say. happy new year all, and happy Feast of the Circumcision to my catholic bros!
Hey, don't forget us New Calendarist Greek-style types.

Anyway, since this is the thing we're doing today...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hH_3Q87Z40

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

For some reason, I feel I should notify everyone that Holy Resurrection Orthodox Cathedral in Tokyo is just a short walk away from Akihabara, where basically everything is anime.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Mr Enderby posted:

While we're all arguing, can we settle the filioque issue? Also is the Immaculate Conception real, and are good works are necessary for salvation? I reckon Jesus had two natures, but both of them were an indistinguishable mixture of divine and human.
All I wanna know is, are we celebrating Christmas tomorrow or not?

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

The Phlegmatist posted:

The most-used translation of the Bible into Chinese translates logos into dao which has caused some interesting heresies among westerners who think they've suddenly found the hidden knowledge of Laozi. It's...actually kinda close though.
I wonder if this is related to that book I found in Japan that said "The Bible Was Written by Chinese."

Mr Enderby posted:

From the very little I know of it, isn't that what Khabbalah is about? The idea that the text of the Torah contains God?
My understanding is that the Torah is God's blueprint for creating the universe, with the Hebrew letters being the building blocks. So it would be more that the the Torah reveals the mind of God.

Though I have often wondered before if this is partly what John's getting at, that Jesus is the incarnate Torah.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

The Phlegmatist posted:

Maybe. I'm familiar with creationists trying to prove Genesis was literally true by squinting really hard at the Chinese characters for boat (eight mouths! how many people were on the ark!) and devil (it looks like the character for tempter!) I don't know what kind of crazy theories the Japanese would come up with though, but they're good at that thing. After all, Jesus died in Shingo and it really was His younger brother Isukiri who died on the cross. Atonement theories what's that no Jesus lived a peaceful life as a rice farmer c'mon now westerners.

There's also some guy who thinks the entire Pentateuch was composed in Alexandria in 273 BC based on Plato's Laws and I need to get around to ordering that book and reading it, because that's pants-on-head crazy.
After work I'll see if I can post the photo I took of the cover. My pitiful translation effort suggests it's related to the Tao te Ching, but hopefully someone with a better grasp of Japanese can clarify things.

Maybe I should have bought it when I had the chance.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

As promised.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Annual Prophet posted:

there's a cd thread for this, but I wanted to mention that scorsese 's new film silence is well worth seeing. im tempted to say this is especially true for those from a liturgical tradition, or who have a contemplative perspective, or who've had a long experience of spiritual seeking / trial, but in retrospect i think the appeal is broader than that. beautifully composed, shot and acted, in addition to being a compelling meditation on faith and religion.
I haven't seen it, but I've been keeping an eye out for the book, and Elizabeth Bruenig wrote an interesting review that, for bonus goonery, involves the Donatist controversy.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

With that first church, I half expect Morgan Freeman to step out and chat with Neo while getting ready to judge the Always Sunny gang.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

I still don't know what a Protopresbyter is.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

The Phlegmatist posted:

And then there was that time they were building a (Russian? Pretty sure it was Russian) Orthodox church somewhat near Ground Zero in NYC and people FLIPPED out because they thought it was a mosque.
I thought the issue was that an Islamic Center was being built a few blocks away from Ground Zero, and it included a mosque, which led to the public freakout. Meanwhile there's a Greek Orthodox Church that was destroyed on 9/11, which was still struggling to rebuild. It's actually still being rebuilt, and is supposed to open this next winter as St. Nicholas National Shrine. I remember the line on the Right being "There's going to be a mosque at Ground Zero, but this church can't get back up off the ground?"

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

The idea of women gaining independence through celibacy and virginity by Mary's example even comes up in The Life of the Virgin, attributed to St. Maximus the Confessor. This is the same book that says Mary was a primary source for the Gospels, was a constant companion and contributor to her Son's ministry, and had a leadership role in the early Church.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

HEY GAIL posted:

edit: i think it was keromaru5 who mentioned that priests' kids sometimes end up resenting their parents
I'm not sure I'd say resenting--I only have the one story to go on. When a lady at my church lost her father, who was a priest, a few years ago, she talked about how his ministry conflicted with his duties as a father, while so many people were showing their love and appreciation for him as a priest. It was a lot like my mom's feelings when my grandfather died. He was a doctor, and of course she loved him, but on one hand, she remembered him being distant and busy through her childhood, and on the other, we had basically a whole county whose diseases he'd treated and whose babies he'd delivered coming out to thank him.

In both cases, it's as if, for better or worse, your dad isn't just your dad, he's the entire community's dad.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

I suppose "sectsplaining" wouldn't work, not if you pronounced it out loud.

I tend to be pretty attached to the image of the Church as a spiritual hospital, and Christ as the Great Physician. So really, it's less "extreme vetting" and more "extreme urgent medical attention."

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Well, you gotta admit, an ant with a sting like a gunshot is one of God's more marvelous creations.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

HEY GAIL posted:

i like catholic shade, i am not sure if the orthodox have an equivalent
I would think it involves some variation of "the pan-heresy of ecumenism."

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

I pretty much bombed that quiz. I'm sorry, thread, I've failed you. :dawkins101:

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

What I want to know is what happens when a robot decides to join a monastery.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Can any of the erudite and/or Eastern Christians recommend me a good source for identifying and dealing with passions?
If you want to go back to the roots, you can check out Evagrius of Ponticus and St. John Cassian. However, you'll probably want a more modern translation of Cassian, because the public domain version of the Institutes and Conferences you can find online left the parts about lust untranslated. Because I guess they might inspire lust? I dunno.

HEY GAIL posted:

also, Unseen Warfare, Greater Jihad, and Death To The World are all good band names
Fitting, then, that the last one became a punk zine.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

I don't think I've ever seen anyone breast feed during a service--or at least if I have, I don't remember it--but the last time I went to the OCA church in the next county, one mom did while chatting with the priest at coffee hour.

So I might be visiting family in Anchorage this July, and I'm already looking up Orthodox churches there, trying to decide which one to visit while I'm there. There's an OCA cathedral, but there's also a Greek church that looks gorgeous from the pictures I've seen.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

St. Paisios the Athonite, via John Sanidopoulos posted:

Monks do not only pray for the living and the dead but even for the most miserable creatures, the demons, who, unfortunately, even though thousands of years have passed, have become worse and have progressed in their evilness.

Once a monk* felt much pain [of heart] and, while he was kneeling at prayer, he said the following: "You are God and, if You want, You can find a way to save these miserable demons who first enjoyed such great glory, but now are full of all the evilness and cunning of the world. Without Your protection, they would have devoured all human beings." While he was saying these words, praying with pain [of heart], he saw a dog's head next to him sticking out his tongue and mocking him. It seems that God allowed for this to happen in order to inform the monk that He is ready to accept the demons provided they repent, but they themselves do not want their salvation.

One realizes from this incident not only the great love of monks, which they receive as a type of boundless love that is of God, but also the love of God, which is ready to save the demons as well, in spite of the billions of crimes they have committed, if only they would repent.

* We know from other stories of Elder Paisios that he is likely here talking about himself, since he later confessed that he once fasted and prayed for two weeks for the salvation of the devil, but the devil appeared to him after all that and merely mocked him.

*EDIT* I'm not really sure who I'm agreeing or disagreeing with here, I just like this story and this image.

Keromaru5 fucked around with this message at 14:05 on May 9, 2017

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

System Metternich posted:

(Probably too easy) riddle for you: what's wrong with this reliquary containing a drop of blood of St John Paul II that was unveiled two weeks ago in the cathedral of Paderborn, Germany?

Is it the "H" in his name?

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

HEY GAIL posted:

since becoming orthodox i still stumble over some of the prayers in english
The tough thing for me is inconsistent translations, especially in the liturgy. The book has one version, but the choir often has a version restructured to fit the same melody as the Greek. The priest, presvytera, and co-chanter have all expressed a desire for more congregational singing, but I'm not sure that can happen unless we're all reading from the same page.

We also recite the official Archdiocese version of the Creed, while the service book has its own unique one. A friend of mine gets thrown off at "for the remission of sins" vs. "for the forgiveness of sins."

pidan posted:

Fiction that tries to sell me on some philosophy tends to really turn me off, no matter if I agree with the author. The one exception being the Marion Bradley books which really convinced me of the idea that women are these magical wonderful creatures who would heal the world if it wasn't for those dastardly patriarchs.
I have some bad news about Marion Zimmer Bradley, then...

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Christianity Thread II: Discussing the Witcher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Senju Kannon posted:

i never interacted with any of the witcher games someone relate it to german theology so i can understand it
All I know is it's built on Polish history, folklore, and culture. That's like right next to Germany, isn't it?

• Locked thread