Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Aphrodite posted:

They wrote her off because of huge negative feedback since people wanted him to be with Iris.
They wrote her off because she was a guest star with a specific episode number contract. And the actress has been hinting that she's in negotiations to appear on the show again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Swillkitsch posted:

I'm excited to see the misadventures of space-time criminal Barry Allen, but most importantly, the Reverse Flash is coming back!

I hope his scenes are good, because S1 evil speedster is still best evil speedster
If you want to see more of him, he'll be showing up in Legends of Tomorrow as a more regular character.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

STAC Goat posted:

I'm fine with Wally as Kid Flash, I just still don't really understand why they went through the effort of hitting Wally and Jesse with the Flash making waves last season only to pull an "alternate reality" version.

My guess is when Barry corrects Flashpoint Wally Flash will be gone but then later in the season his powers will emerge as a result of last season's incident, and then Jesse Quick will pop in from Earth 2 and we'll have like a 4 or 5 speedster teamup (Barry, Wally, Jesse, Jay, and maybe Thawne) against the new evil speedster.
My response has some possible spoilers for the upcoming season but - someone reported seeing Jesse Quick's actress sporting what looked like a speedster costume, though wasn't able to get pictures. It may be one of the Flashpoint changes is that she gains powers.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Yeah I assume Earth-2 is safe from any timeline fuckery Barry pulls, since it's a completely different universe.

But fear not. Once Barry destroys his world, I am sure he will be happy to go to other worlds and gently caress up their timelines as well.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

mind the walrus posted:

That would be cool, although I'm sure Alchemy would take a very far backseat to Savitar because gently caress not having a speedster be the big bad. Is the douche in black with the winged fans on his head Savitar then? I know who he is from the comics, and that would be a weird place to take his look.
From what I understand Alchemy will be a more physical threat, creating a lot of chaos in the city, while Savitar will be a psychological one directly targeting Barry and his pals. They don't aim for the latter to be like Reverse Flash or Zoom, since it'd be kinda boring a third time around.

Martout posted:

Let's hope this season is more lighthearted fun and goofy than season 2 imo and that they don't forget to give Iris stuff to do
The producers have said in interviews that they agree the show got a bit too dour for their taste in late season, so they're definitely aiming for a more Season 1 feel.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Koalas March posted:

Also she pulled her gun out too much, which doesn't work when you have a way higher black fanbase.
Honestly, Joe pulls out his gun plenty of times as well and Eddie was no different. It's just a thing all writers like to script cops doing. People rag on Patty for shooting Harry because she recognized him as a wanted man and thought he had a weapon, but Joe literally shoots at him the moment he sees him, without any warning to the room, and that seems conveniently forgotten in comparison.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Koalas March posted:

The majority black fanbase in #WestAllen, #Blerds, and #DatFlash called her Police Brutality Patty for a reason. If you can't see the difference idk what to tell you. Outside from #WestAllen (which are mostly WoC from all over the world) those are black hashtags, and the highest tracking in the Flash fandom outside of just #TheFlash.
"Police Brutality?" Really? I'd say the only instance that comes even close was in the 9th episode with Weather Wizard, but the whole point of that dramatically dumb scene was that her and Barry had very similar traumatic pasts, and that violence wasn't the answer. But that was one instance - every other time she pulled it out because there was a dangerous meta-human around (King Shark, the Turtle) or because she found what looked to be a wanted felon. It's not like she's the only cop using her gun on the show.

As for the difference? The difference is that it's okay if Iris has a different romantic interest, but if Barry so much as looks at another woman who isn't Iris then her fans go into a loving outrage and even go as far as harassing Danielle Panabaker and Shantel VanSanten. I'm not even that big a fan of those two, but the levels of hate slung toward those two actresses is appalling.

Two wrongs don't make a right here. You can't act like Iris' fanbase is all perfect and sweet. They can be nasty as hell, and there are plenty of posts online to prove it.

lotus circle fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Sep 28, 2016

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Man I'm not even saying Candice doesn't get poo poo? Because she does. But so do the other women. And making GBS threads on women to promote other women is something that affects ALL fandoms. It's just especially unfortunate for Flash, when we only have two major women characters that barely interact with one another and they get pitted against each other CONSTANTLY. Add in a woman that literally appears in like 10 or so episodes as a guest star, and you got even more of a storm.

As for those posts?

Oh and is especially classy:

And that's just a few of what I found. All women actresses/characters on this show get pitted against each other, and that's what gets me riled up.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Yeah I'm putting an end to this discussion because it's incredibly stupid. I'm not going to dig back over a year in tumblr posts to prove my point, but trust me I saw a lot of loving hate from Iris fans on her. And with those posts? Mal literally has an icon of Candice, and one of the users wanting Caitlin to die has "@irisawestallen" as their username, so I think that speaks for itself.

Patty was never a perfectly written character, but she would have gotten FAR less hate if she wasn't a love interest. That's just fact. And I like Iris a lot, but she has a lot of fans who engage in making GBS threads on the other women to promote her. That's all I want to say.

tsob posted:

I can only speak to the reception here rather than the wider perception since I don't look for or discuss this show anywhere else, but at least here people weren't raging on her for shooting Wells in that scene, they ragged the show for never following it up, either by having anyone explain it to her or her investigating or questioning what had happened. They seemed to understand why she shot fine. There was no such reaction for Joe, because Joe was immediately filled in and the whole thing resolved in the same scene.

And yeah that was total bullshit. Patty was pretty much just a plot device to get Wells injured so Jay would be forced to use the serum to save his life.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

pee out my butt posted:

It's an election year so get ready for a bumpy schedule.
Yeah I'm curious as to whether the show will air on Nov 8th. I imagine most prime time shows on that Tuesday will take the week off.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Some stills for S3E2 have popped up! Spoilers in the link.

Looks like JWS is coming back as Jay Garrick sooner than expected, and one of the shots has some blurry legs that look like they come from the Reverse Flash! Other than that, the episode definitely shows Flashpoint is only a single episode which is kind of disappointing.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Brother Entropy posted:

do we know if captain cold is coming back?
Yes, he's slated to appear in episode 4 alongside Mirror Master and The Top.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

teamcharlie posted:

Uh, wait. Thawne went back into the past and successfully killed Barry's mom, but now he's got perfectly functional speed powers. Then who the gently caress trained the Flash?

I thought the whole reason original Thawne stole Wells' life, built the accelerator, gave Barry powers and made him go fast was to get to the future so he could kick Barry's rear end, but he couldn't do it himself because his speed powers were broken. Well, that roadblock is clearly gone since he uses his speed to travel through time. How could any part of the first two seasons have happened now? And it's not like there's a spare Wells around in the past to do the training and become Flash's spare dad, because that guy clearly disappeared.

Side note: Barry is still way too chill with people stabbing his mom.
My interpretation is this: the moment Thawne kills Nora is the moment he sets things into motion, but he doesn't need to be physically left behind in time anymore because he is the one changing the timeline, not Barry.

Essentially Thawne can leave behind a time remnant that goes on to become Wellsobard, while he drops Barry off in the altered post-s2 timeline and then gets to keep existing as a paradox separate from the natural flow of time. Barry pretty much hosed up so badly that Eddie's sacrifice was in vain, because now a new Eobard Thawne created as a result of Barry's Flashpoint is now around.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Invalid Validation posted:

I want Barry and Thawne to be friends. They really have no reason to hate each other if they would just stop going back in time and saying they hate each other over and over.
I don't think friendship is really possible when Thawne has murdered Barry's mother like a hundred times now, and Thawne clearly holds some unexplained grudge against Barry, but I do like that the show goes for a frenemy angle with them. Thawne may hate Barry, but season 1 proved that he cares more about his mortal enemy than he admits. There are a lot of complicated layers built between them since the show began, and I'm glad that season 3 opens up the possibility for Thawne to make more appearances.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Well at least one thing got fixed with the timeline, re: the prison

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

nooneofconsequence posted:

They started taking metas... last season? It's not new.
Yeah but we never actually got to see those prisons, and Barry still used the pipeline prison a couple times here and there.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

McTimmy posted:

Going by the standard that every run of time travel creates its own timeline.

Timeline 1: Future Flash and Reverse-Flash.
Timeline 2: Reverse-Flash murders Barry-mom.
Timeline 3: Flash resets Central City from getting drowned by Weather Wizard's wave.
Timeline 4: Flash goes back in time to watch his mom get murdered.
Timeline 5: Flash goes back to stop Vandal Savage from vaporizing Central City.
Timeline 6: Flash goes back to talk to Eobard-Wells. Pied Piper becomes good guy.
Timeline 7: Flashpoint timeline.
Timeline 8: Flashpoint adjusted timeline where we're at now.
The way I see it, there are two kinds of time travel on this show.

One is going back like 24 hours or some small amount of time. You're not really going back to the past, so much as you're rewinding the clock. Even Wellsobard calls what Barry did in s1 a "time reversion" or something to that effect. Barry didn't create a whole new timeline, he just went back one day to do something different. This is why there aren't two Barrys running around when he stops the hurricane, or goes back when Vandal destroys Star City.

The other is legit time travel, going back to longer periods ago to change something. This is what we saw in s2e17: there were two Barrys, because our Barry was going back several months ago to a time that "solidified" as the show terms. This also includes going to when his mom died.

So the amount of timelines is more like:

Timeline 01: Newspaper timeline, where Eobard came from.
Timeline 02: Original show timeline, created when Eobard killed Nora.
Timeline 03: Created when Barry went back in time in S2 to talk with Wellsobard. No major changes apart from Hartley now being a good guy. Lasts until the s2 finale. Though the show doesn't really seem to acknowledge this as its own timeline, perhaps because there were no major changes?
Timeline 04: Flashpoint.
Timeline 05: Same timeline as 02+03, only with minor differences (Joe didn't tell Iris about her mother, Caitlin is developing meta-human powers, Cisco's brother was killed in a DUI crash, etc)

So if we don't count Timeline 03 since the show doesn't seem to acknowledge it, we have about 4 different timelines.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Mr Beens posted:

Other timeline 5 "minor" changes - a guy working with Barry for over a year who is in charge of any meta investigation, Diggle's kid changing sex.
People getting powers that didn't have them and family members dying are not minor changes.
Don't be pedantic man, my point is the new timeline is more or less the same as the s1+s2 timeline in terms of the overall events that happened.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Azhais posted:

Joe didn't tell Iris about her mother in the original timeline either, the difference there was Iris forgave him
Yes he did. He told her early on what really happened, and Iris had a meeting with her mom because of it. The implication in the new timeline is Iris never was told her mom was alive before she died, and then Wally appeared which clued Iris in on the truth.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Tom Felton has been in plenty of things since 2011 you guys, he's not destitute just because he's on a CW show.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Maybe "not" has only just started gaining popularity back on Earth-2? It's pretty hilarious though.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Jessie: My powers formed when I almost died!
Wally: Okay I hear what you're saying. Excuse me for a second.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Sooo how does Iris get home?

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Shaddak posted:

So, I saw a reference earlier to Barry Spider-Manning in the last episode, not really sure what that means.
I assume it means how he kept ditching Iris to go save the day, much like Peter ditches MJ all the time.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Spergatory posted:

:10bux: says he beats it by running really fast in a circle.
Quoting for accuracy (though really anyone could win that bet.)

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Now I wonder who HR's partner is, since he solved the riddle for him. It will probably never be relevant or important, but my hope is for Earth-19 Thawne who went back in time but just became friends with Wells instead of stealing his face and all that.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Three seasons in, it's confirmed that Caitlyn has a family and a backstory
In all fairness to the show, they did bring up that her dad died and she had a talk with Killer Frost about their awful moms.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Flash has one next week and so does Supergirl. Arrow and Legends don't.
Not next week, the week of Thanksgiving. Makes sense, Monday and Tuesday are still fairly normal days but by Wednesday and Thursday we're in full Thanksgiving mode with people travelling and prepping.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
This is how it runs down - Flash, Arrow and Supergirl go to 9 episodes before mid-season break, while LOT takes theirs at episode 8 (their episode 7 is the crossover ep) because their season is shorter at only 17 episodes. This moving around seems weird now, but they basically scheduled it so that every show takes their break after the first week of December. So while they started Supergirl and LOT late, this November shifting (partly because of the election, and then Thanksgiving week) essentially guarantees the shows take off at the same time period.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Gotta say, this episode was really underwhelming. Taking a cool villain like Shade and turning him into some no-name goon, then wasting all the good stuff going with Wally with an incredibly lame reveal for Savitar. The Caitlin stuff was the best part, which is good since the next episode is all about her.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Pyroi posted:

Wait, so Alchemy isn't the season Big Bad, he's just a stepping stone to Savitar?
I think it's the other way around.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

DoctorWhat posted:

One of the problems the writers have (except for Cisco! Cisco is written right!) is that they have a very poor grasp of how young people express frustration, despair, etc. Most characters aren't nearly as self-deprecating or sarcastic in their darker moments as real people their age would be, and it drags the dialogue and performances down. Attempts at "gravitas" and sincerity are made less believable and sincere by how composed and prepared the speeches often feel.

This is baffling because breezy dialogue is totally within the realm of "how people talk to each other in 2016" and, as said before, Cisco's dialogue has all the anger and frustration and sarcastic bite it needs to have when the situation calls for it. Joe and Wells get the good stuff, too, in that regard, and Felton has had some luck. But the show has this weirdo blind spot in how Barry and Wally's expressions of anger and frustration are scripted most of the time.
I think it just has to do with the character personality types and writers feeling like they need to stay in that pigeon hole in terms of how they write the characters. Cisco is the snarky comic relief guy, so he gets to have dialogue that's way more in-line with how people his age tend to talk when they're being snarky. There's more of a real world grounding with him and it's because "Vibe" is a no-name character they can do whatever they want with. Characters like Barry and Wally are held to a different standard because there's an expectation that they are written and behave a certain way. That false gravitas is meant to be part of the comic experience.

It's like how people hate when Batman has sidekicks because HE'S THE DARK KNIGHT AND HE WORKS ALONE, DARKNESS, NO PARENTS, etc. The price of the fame and legacy of Batman is that writers don't get to really do anything interesting and new with him because it might upset the fans who pay to see what they know.

Barry has had some self-aware deprecating moments in the past (most of them when he was speaking with Eobard Thawne that I can recall) and Grant can really play those well. I think when the writing acknowledges Barry's true pain, without generating any additional angst, they hit a great spot and that's what Grant can convey.

As for Barry's true pain? It's chasing after this perfect life that he can never have, but he's too blindsighted by that goal to see it. He lost his mother at a young age, his dad went to jail, and all he ever wanted was for things to feel like they were when he was a child. That's the real kind of tragedy in Flashpoint - Barry gets exactly that, but he's not satisfied with it. If he really was, then losing all those memories of the past, losing his powers, wouldn't cause him so much burden. It's like Wells-Thawne says in the start of s2: Barry can get the thing he wants most, and he still won't be happy.

This poo poo is already ingrained into the writing of the character but the writers don't always seem to get how to pull it out, so they try to fake it.

lotus circle fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Nov 17, 2016

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

FactsAreUseless posted:

I want an episode where evil Eobard Thawne shows up from another world, and then a good version who is that world's Flash shows up chasing him.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Bonus points if they go back in time and encounter Wells-Thawne.

I would absolutely watch a whole season about Eobard Thawne being a huge rear end in a top hat throughout time and space. At least he can own up to being a huge remorseless rear end in a top hat, unlike Barry who makes excuses for himself whenever he fucks up.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Fuckin Trump Riot posted:

If you can shut off the rational part of your brain for an hour a week, he's over on Legends doing exactly that, plus carting Damien Darhk around with him. He already killed Hourman because gently caress you, that's why.

Legends is fun as long as you don't think about it too much and concentrate on things like Mick's love of setting Nazis on fire.
I've been watching it just for that honestly. Though he's only really been on screen for a few short scenes so far, but that should be changing in the second half of the season.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I think in the end they tried too hard to make Zoom into Reverse Flash 2.0, except they failed to give him a compelling motivation. They just made him act like a crazy serial killer with no real direction. Reverse Flash worked because he was so close to the team, he actually grew to care for them to an extent, and his motivation was simple and relatable despite his vicious methods.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Eh it's not a very good twist if that's what they were aiming for, which makes me think that wasn't their intention. People have been calling this since the beginning and the creators must have known it would be suspicious to add a major actor to the full-time roster and not give him a significant role.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Zebulon posted:

Hard to be upbeat about it when the writers are determined to prove it wrong at every chance they can find.
He knows it's a lie, he's just trying his hard to carry on.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

howe_sam posted:

Sure would be handy to have an extra speedster to help out right about now.
No don't you see, Wally just isn't READY despite the fact that he's already as fast as Barry was at the end of season 1 in under a week.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Man I'll admit that Cisco got kind of annoying toward the middle with him forcing Barry into revealing the Flashpoint poo poo to everyone, but honestly he's entitled to feel angry at Barry. The Barry he knew refused to save his brother, and now our Barry not only refuses to do that but additionally he very likely caused Dante to die through butterfly effect bullshit. And yeah Dante may have died some other way, but that isn't the situation here.

It would be poor writing for Cisco to just shrug this off and go "well Barry my brother is dead and it's probably your fault but we're cool!" Even best friends will have times they may not talk to each other because they're mad. I'm sure the writing will gradually have Cisco and Barry reconcile, but Cisco has good reasons to feel angry.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Guy A. Person posted:

Yea I definitely agree with all that but a couple things:

1) Cisco was asking Barry to do the exact thing he did for his mother for Dante, so it's hard to turn around and say "you shouldn't have done that!" when Cisco knows the exact feelings that led Barry to try and change the past.

2) Nobody has really acknowledged how horribly hosed it is that Barry was forced to drop his arch nemesis off on his doorstep to rekill his mother. That poo poo has to be traumatizing.

3) I can't remember, but where did Cisco land during the S1 finale? It was mostly a massive ethics debate about whether he should do the exact thing he ended up doing and even though some people disagreed they obviously went along with it ultimately (before Barry himself decided not to). They had to have known the changes that were potentially going to happen in their lives wouldn't all be good, and he was doing what they all agreed he could do (just a few months later)

But yeah I'm not mad as Cisco so much as I am at the writers for taking the most fun character and deciding to inject some unneeded drama into his character.
1) Fair, though I think this is a matter of Cisco being blinded by his grief. On an intellectual reason he understands Barry's reasons for not saving Dante, but he's more angry that Barry caused Dante's death right now than that. It isn't so much the not saving part, as much as it is that Barry caused this in the first place now.

2) I don't think anyone actually knows that part though, unless I'm forgetting Barry mentioning it. Which is actually smart on Barry's end because if they found out Flashpoint also means Eobard is back in existence full-time (as opposed to the part-time remnant way) then he would be getting WAY more pissed looks given Eddie's sacrifice. Iris especially would banish Barry to the couch for all eternity. That aside, it was definitely hosed up.

(On a side note, I wonder if the Legends are even gonna mention to Barry during this crossover that there's a speedster causing time aberrations out there and he runs with red lightning.)

3) If I'm recalling right, there was a cut out scene where Cisco supported Barry's choice and promised they would still find each other in another lifetime. That aside, agreeing to something over a year ago isn't the same as agreeing to it now. Barry didn't consult anyone before saving his mother's life and this happened just after they went through hell getting rid of Zoom. Barry was absolutely selfish in those moments, because he felt like the loss of his father was too much to bear, and I think it's important for the show to acknowledge that. Cisco's anger is part of that acknowledgment.

That said I do wish we could get over the drat pep talks. First Jay, then Iris and now Oliver have to console Barry over Flashpoint. I get insecurity is one of Barry's character traits, but this is a little much now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Aphrodite posted:

Thawne used his face stealing tech to become Barry, who because speedforce etc. didn't die like the real Wells did. Barry's still trapped in Flashpoint.

But because of the timeline stuff that totally matters sometimes Thawne's memories are slowly being replaced with Barry's, and he's forgetting who he really is.
Honestly this would be an amazing twist since it would perfectly reference The Return of Barry Allen, which actually updated Eobard's origin story to the one the show is essentially using right now.

But I imagine viewers would be crazy pissed to learn the Barry they've been watching for several episodes isn't actually Barry. It's not really a smart idea to do something like that past a few episodes at most.

• Locked thread