Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.

Palemdromes posted:

So should they be burned down? Never visited? You realize they don’t have slaves on them anymore?

Disclaimer, I grew up in southern Louisiana and there are plantations everywhere. My best friend grew up on one. This whole shaming culture around a fixture of my childhood weirds me out.

Plantation weddings have been known to have people dress up in period clothing, which of course then draws that problem of glamorizing slavery. It's not a perfect source but here is an article on plantation weddings and some of the issues surrounding them.
https://www.salon.com/2014/01/05/disturbing_wedding_trend_getting_married_at_a_plantation/

Generally it breaks into erasing slavery, or making light of it. I understand you may have grown up around it, and of course not all people having plantation weddings are bad people, but it definitely has problems.

quote:

Bf [27] very upset/disappointed in me [20F] after concert
Throwaway bc he follows my real account. Last night my bf and I went to a concert for one of my favorite bands. We got lucky bc right when they were opening the door to the venue we were at the front so of course we went all the way front and center in the crowd. Everything was going great, the opener for the band played and we were both drinking a bit. Then the main band comes on and my bf leaves almost immediately when people start moshing, literally about five minutes in. Important to note: the girls next to me were saying how the guitarist was cute and I laughed along with them, which my bf heard.

Alone now, I tried to text him all throughout the show to get him to come back/ask what’s wrong. Eventually he said he was up towards the right of the stage but I couldn’t find him. He said he couldn’t find me but I hadn’t moved the entire time and was waving my arms around so he’d see me. Since I was so close I was able to get really good videos of the band, namely the guitarist literally right in front of me. All throughout the show they would ask the crowd questions, and the girls next to me and I thought it would be funny to try to get him to hit the juul. He declined which was totally fine, but I videoed it and put it on my snap story along with other snaps throughout the concert. Afterwards I actually got a chance to talk to him/take a pic with him as he was leaving the stage.

It was kind of a short set so after their last song I went to go find my bf, he was in the very very back at the bar. He all of a sudden didn’t want to talk to me and asked if I wanted to stay and he would give me money for an Uber home. I said no it’s fine and we left. I was excited to show him all the videos I took since like I said they’re one of my favorite bands. I also showed him the juul video and picture of me meeting the guitarist.

Then otw back home he was super quiet and refused to talk to me (which sucked bc we were stuck in traffic for a loooong time). Eventually he said he would tell me what’s going on, but he just dropped me off at my place, and when I asked about it, he said “I just want to go home.” So I respect that, and he didnt text me until this morning telling me what was wrong: He was “really disappointed in me” for “saying with that girl that that guitarist guy was cute and trying to get him to hit your juul, I didn’t expect any of that or know you were like that ig, I wouldn’t have done the same to you.” Am I in the wrong here? I’m just really confused and upset about the whole thing.

quote:

UPDATE: Bf [27] very upset/disappointed in me [20] after concert
Hey guys, thanks for all the comments on the previous post. Linkie:

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationsh...tm_term=enabled

We broke up. He said he doesn’t want to be with someone who doesn’t feel the same about him, and that I broke his trust and loyalty, not a quality he is looking for in a gf. We have been dating since November.

I tried telling him that he is blowing it out of proportion and that I believed we were strong and mature enough to make it work. He said last night made him realize we weren’t on the same page anymore, and that it was his fault for telling me how he felt about me (loved me) a couple months ago.

This stings super bad right now, especially because I have a class with him starting in two weeks lol. But I think it might be for the best. All the red flags of jealousy, immaturity, and insecurity that I didn’t even see, wow. Well, wish me luck, gonna go finish my shift even though Ive been bawling for the past hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

Pinecone Sample posted:

AITA for calling my spouse a "stupid fat hobbit"?

Jesus Christ just apologize, your joke didn't go over well.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for snapping at my son's fiancee for not just accepting his proposal speech as is?

Son just got engaged to his girlfriend. Don't know her that well, but have found her a bit standoffish in the past. We were invited to celebrate with other family and friends just after the proposal and of course went to support my son. I guess during the speech my son told her that the forgot what he had planned to say and was improvising, but he had written it out elsewhere. During the celebration, she told him she wanted to read his planned speech. I found that exceptionally rude, since he put so much effort into the proposal and she was in no place to demand the "perfect" speech. I said something like "isn't the speech he gave good enough? why do you need another one?" and my son got upset with me. I was just trying to stand up for him, but my exwife dragged me out and I didn't want to make a scene, so I left. My exwife called me a name I can't say here when she made me leave and now my son isn't speaking to me right now because he thinks I made it awkward and he doesn't appreciate what I was trying to do for him. Am I the rear end in a top hat for trying to stand up for my son and keep him from being walked over?

Good that the son is pushing away from the clearly redpilled dad. Hopefully that then turns to :sever:.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

MasBrillante posted:

Deserved for confusing spiders with insects.

lol

As a person who can't stand spiders, this better be fake just for my fragile sanity.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

Piell posted:

AITA for reporting two coworkers and potentially getting them fired?

That's just sad that they acted like 14 year old boys, but this is how they learn that that is not acceptable of possibly 30 year old men. What's sick is that they clearly don't even give her an inch of respect or choice. Like she has no agency to these guys, and for that alone I'd fire them.

They will either learn from this and move on, or just think women are all bitches who cost them jobs and go full redpill.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

Ignis posted:

AITA for spoiling Avengers Endgame for my roommate because they stole my onions?

yes, literal onions

I want to live in a world where ANY of this matters. It's got to be better than the shitworld we live in now.

EDIT: Like onions on display? You mean you had onions growing in a planter that you were going to harvest later or you just like having grown onions in a planter for decoration?

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

Pinecone Sample posted:

AITA for wearing “crocs” to work? (Serious, I may have just been denied a promotion)

“David, off the record...you wear loving kids shoes every day. Give me a break from having to offer any explanations.”

Now, I'll preface this by saying the guy is a moron, and who the hell wants to wear crocs at a workplace that isn't a summer camp or daycare?

That said, if this boss had just pulled him aside on day 2 of wearing the crocs, and just mentioned that it's not professional, this could have all been avoided. So the give me a break BS is unnecessary, next time tell your employees what is actually expected of them.

EDIT: but he absolutely should not get the promotion.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for refusing to cook after my brother refused to pick me up, despite our agreement he would?

This one just makes me feel depressed. The whole family needs a truckload of therapy ASAP, and I can only pray one day the OP figures out that she doesn't need to be part of this trash and actually get away from them.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for leaving the pizza guy a small tip?
AITA?

Clearly, yes. Giving someone 53 cents today is like handing someone a used tissue and saying "Here, you deal with this."

What a piece of trash, :sever:.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA for not wanting my young daughters in my sister’s gay wedding?

I mean my sister and her partner are wonderful people. They treat me and my family with the highest and utmost respect. I love her with all my heart but I just can't help my nagging homophobia (learned or otherwise) from stopping them from having a good day. I better listen to my terrible mom who would rather see her own daughter depressed, sad, and lonely.

The daughter needs to sever from her whole family, OP needs to learn that they are the worst kind of christian, they type that knows deep down they are wrong, but would rather keep the hate flowing than trying to heal and fix their own issues.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

AITA for asking someone whose were being cuffed behind her back if she is into BDSM?

Why aren't you resisting more? Don't you know that if you resist, the legal processes of the world will immediately side with you because clearly, resisting implies innocence in the cops eyes.

EDIT: VVV How exciting. I wish all my family would talk about my sexual preferences all the time to me and each other. Seems real healthy.

ScentOfAnOtaku fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 25, 2019

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I (29F) am considering uninviting my fiance's (30M) best friend (31M) from our wedding.

OP is handling this the exact right way. If Alex and Tina find it sad that they don't get to come, that's consequences and life. If Matt is sad, well he's going to have to decide on why Alex's bad decisions get to influence his life so much, and if Alex is worth keeping around.

I actually think Alex gets this as well, but trying to involve your sidepiece with your friend group, who still like your old partner, that's lovely and I hate that people can be that selfish.

Really it all comes back to I hate people.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

Smirking_Serpent posted:

After years of not speaking, my (25F) dad (49M) suddenly showed up at my house because he found out I’m engaged.

Hello all, this is my first time posting here so I hope I explain this clearly! I’m looking for some advice.

Here is some background, sorry if it’s a little long. My dad and I have always had a strained relationship. He and my mom divorced when my brother and I were very little because he was an alcoholic with a violent temper. Though he wasn’t usually physical, he would frequently have outbursts where he would swear, call us names, and throw or break things. He was also way more aggressive with boys/men, so he treated my brother much worse than he treated me. He often threatened him, criticized him, and sometimes even smacked the back of his head and pushed him. To me he was much softer but would often push me and flick the top of my head very hard when I annoyed him. My brother and I were only 4 and 5 years old at this time. I believe he wasn’t more violent with us because we were so scared of his anger that we walked on eggshells and never confronted him about anything. Not to mention he was a pretty absent parent, refusing to pay child support and only seeing us when it suited him. He often made promises to take us to do fun things but never showed up.

Of course, we have many nice memories with him too because when he was happy he was great to be around. Typical abuser right? He could be very fun, loving, and funny. It’s just that it never lasted long. We rarely went a day without him flying into a rage about something.

As we got older, my brother and I started distancing ourselves from him, making excuses not to answer the phone or visit him. This made things worse because the lack of control made him freak out. Eventually, my brother cut him off completely because of some things he couldn’t forgive. My dad’s reaction was to drunkenly show up to my brothers work demanding to speak to him. Not long after this, he opened up several credit cards in my brother’s name and racked up a ton of debt that hosed up my brother’s credit score for years.

I still felt obligated to stay in contact with my dad for a few more years because we generally had a much better relationship than he and my brother, and I felt guilty that if I cut him off he would have no one else. However, I finally reached my breaking point and we haven’t spoken for about 6 years. In that time I began dating my boyfriend and we got engaged a few weeks ago. I’m assuming my dad found out from someone who saw our announcement on Facebook because we have no contact with each other.

So here’s what happened. Not long after getting engaged my fiancé and I went on vacation. When we were coming home I got a call from my mom saying that my dad was on my front porch waiting for me. He didn’t know I was out of town but he told my mom that when he heard about the engagement he had to come see me and meet my fiancé. (He lives about three hours away from me btw.) This sent me into a panic, so I told my mom to tell him that we were still several hours away and that I wouldn’t be able to see him. He took it well and left, but said he hoped that I would call him.

Here’s my issue, the fact that he showed up late at night with no warning pissed me off. He had multiple ways to contact me but he didn’t. He’s done this many times before and I believe it’s a tactic to catch us off-guard so we’re vulnerable and have to face him. This always works in his favor because he’s very physically intimidating. However, he always justifies it by acting like he’s just a passionate person and likes to handle things face to face. I hate it and I feel like it’s just another abusive behavior.

Despite all of this, I can’t help feeling a little guilty. His behavior has caused him to lose everyone in his life. He has no family or friends left and the idea of that makes me so sad even if he deserves it. Because I was the last one to cut him off, I feel this obligation to not leave him alone all over again. And I know that weddings make people all sentimental and the idea of not going to my wedding or meeting my fiancé is probably devastating for him. I just can’t help but feel conflicted. What do you guys think?

*TL;DR- After years of abusive behavior my dad and I stopped talking. Now that I’m engaged he expects to just come back into my life. Im not sure if I should give him a chance or not. *

He took a bunch of credit cards out in their brother's name, loving up his credit for years, so look forward to that down the line I guess. I wish it was taught to people that family does not equal free pass.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

chemtrail huffer posted:

My GF(31F) is upset I(25M) don’t trust her word. I love her but she’s constantly wrong and mixes stuff up and it gets me in uncomfortable situations.

Lol, little things like getting stuck in Cuba, and fines for probably about $200 CDN for not having your less than $5 ticket. Just loving break up with her, she's either a pathological liar or just plain dumb.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

LadyPictureShow posted:

My girlfriend [22/F] just ruined our vacation because she overreacted to a joke I made.
but my anger got the best of me and I shoved her in the pool

That right there is what makes me sick. That's not ok, in no ones mind should this be ok. He is literally saying, my anger got the best of me so I hit her. She may be passive aggressive (according to him), but he is a straight up physical abuser (also according to him).

I also think DragQueenofAngmar hit the nail on the head.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

AITA for ruining my friend's pickle eating experience?

Yes

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for not wanting new friends?

I invited her to my church, and she declined. Clearly she isn't religious.

Reddit needs to calm down with the telling people to kill themselves though.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for excluding my former best friend from my bachelorette party?

Ugh.

If I open it up to Caty, I'd have to open it up to everyone. Can't you see, I can't break these sacred traditions of excluding people and making up bullshit excuses for it.

I'd totally be fine with it if she said, "I just don't like Caty anymore." but this is just stupid in every way.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

MasBrillante posted:

For sure. Unfortunately a partner being revolted by your perfectly normal and clean body and refusing to get help for it is sort of a dealbreaker. I feel sorry for them both.

This is something I wish people would understand more. There is only so much you can do to help someone. If they won't get help, and it affects your mental health, you need to get out.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

Everything in that post makes you think the OP is going to end off with saying he's now also being humiliated or that she does this and he better be fine with it or she'll break up with him.

The fact he just ends it with, nope, damage done, I have to leave now, is kinda great and refreshing.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

My [32F] husband [33M] doesn't want our nanny to teach our daughter Spanish. Feel like I'm seeing an ugly side of him.

If your first instinct is to say he's racist, chances are you've seen other things too.

Gotta love all the secret racists that show up in relationships posts.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

Another nanny story then!
My (41F) neighbors are making my nanny (24F) really uncomfortable and I am not sure where to go from here.

Why you would just choose to up and move right away is beyond me, but please, post on the Meetup app why you are leaving and name names.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

therobit posted:

Gigantic loving rear end in a top hat.

Surprised it's just the title that makes this person feel like the rear end in a top hat, I feel the whole goddamn post makes me feel like they are the hugest rear end in a top hat.

I don't condone the lifestyle you chose for yourself, what a piece of poo poo. People need to tell their parents to gently caress off more often.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA For ignoring a coworker who refused to use my actual name?

Not the rear end in a top hat, but man, the real rear end in a top hat here is the supervisor not loving sitting down the idiot and saying "call him Jack one more time and you are fired." Like seriously, not hard to do, and why the gently caress wouldn't you do it?

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Family political debate turned sour.....

Stop interacting with your racist family members. Even better, just stop interacting with racists altogether. gently caress common courtesy for common assholes.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

Lottery dad is like Switch dad. Both are selfish, both have no idea that they are selfish because they are so selfish no one else matters to them.

Switch dad knows about steam but believes the Switch has no new games coming. Uh huh, sure. "I didn't spend it on myself, I bought a game for my escapist lifestyle" Selfish and a huge rear end in a top hat.

Lottery dad seriously sees this money as JUST his. IMO, when spouses separate finances that way, they are just waiting till the day the eventually break up. And remember, leaving his whole family for that whole time, cause of all the hell they've caused him over the years by being his family. gently caress him, selfish and also huge rear end in a top hat.

And 29K is loving tons of debt, so gently caress off with that BS.

EDIT: that's right, a mortgage payment for a kid fresh out of highschool.
VVV He knows it, what I mean is, his son knows it too.

ScentOfAnOtaku fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 15, 2019

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

Beachcomber posted:

He isn't, though. He probably won't spend all the money, he just wants to keep the whole pot "in case" until after his literally first vacation ever.

Without his wife, because he doesn't want to wait til she can go with him for the whole trip.

Not selfish at all no.

I guess the wife went on tons of vacations without him.

EDIT: Money breaks peoples brains, hell the idea of having money breaks them.

ScentOfAnOtaku fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 15, 2019

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

Fantastic Flyer posted:

AITA for outing my sister to my family?

"They aren't Westboro homophobes"

Actually, they are.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, you owe family nothing. If they are terrible people, cut them out and move on.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for not wanting my biological father to take part of the typical "father of the bride" stuff?

Am I being an rear end here?

Not even a bit.

gently caress them, and tell them good riddance.
EDIT: ^^^^ Did you read it or was that sarcasm?

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

goethe.cx posted:

I thought we were better than this. Are we going to have to start using /s like reddit morons?

Jesus calm down, I literally asked if it was, so sorry it's ruined your day?

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

Smirking_Serpent posted:

WIBTA if I take my coworker to HR for touching my car?
Now, if it couldn’t get any worse, he brought a bag of candies to work. He was trying to give some to me. I said no. When I got out to my car, he had taken them out of the packaging and laid them out all over the hood of my freaking car. Since it was hot, they got sticky and I had to take my car to the wash. I honestly feel like I’m in the freaking twilight zone at this point.

Considering how much a paint job can cost, and the fact that it's crazy for someone to do that, absolutely go to HR. What's up with their husband thinking that's fine and normal?

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

ad090 posted:

AITA for telling my boyfriend that his racist friends can't come over to my house?

People need to do this more often. Racist, bigoted, misogynist, doesn't matter, cut them out, move the hell on.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I hate to tell you, you post on SA, you've been on a watchlist since Jul 7, 2009.

I just hate everyone in that fantasy football one. Tape the game, learn to wait and not look at scores. If it gets spoiled for you, oh well, there will be other games.

EDIT: good point, never considered that. ^^^^^

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for maintaining a relationship with the wife/daughter of a racist?

I'm taking some steps to hide our identities, including slight tweaks to the ages listed and using a throwaway. The reason why will be obvious shortly.

I live with my husband in the suburbs. It's a neighborhood where everyone is expected to show up to gatherings, attend birthday parties, occasionally host the neighbor kids after school... etc. Some families have nannies to help facilitate this, others have SAHMs. Im a SAHM; my husband is in engineering. We have two daughters, one who's 12 and one who's 10.

A politician lives near here. If I said his name, you wouldn't know who I was talking about, but he has made national headlines a few times for objectively reprehensible statements. It's not just the fact that he's a part of one political party - he's also an outspoken, public person who holds views antithetical to our core values.

I've met him a few times in passing, but most of my contact is with his wife, who we'll call Sarah, and his daughter, who we'll call Chrissy. Sarah is very involved in local school events, volunteering, etc. We're not friends, but I would say we work together at least twice a month on some kind of local project.

Chrissy is friends with both of my daughters. She's a bright, friendly, funny girl and I've never had any reason to discipline her. Chrissy comes to our home, and our daughters go to her home. They've done camp, sleepovers, birthday parties, movie nights, pizza parties, etc. I can't find any fault with Chrissy as a friend to our daughters or a guest in our household.

Last night, my husband asked to speak to me. He said it was time that "the people" stopped enabling certain politicians. He said that our most powerful tool, outside of voting, would to be to apply social pressure to people who hold certain harmful viewpoints. He said he does not want our family to interact with this politican's family at all, on any level - we should freeze them out. My husband said that if it were up to him, he would be actively starting a conflict with this politician in any way he could, but he will respect our daughters' friendship with Chrissy and just keep it at shunning.

I don't think he's wrong that activism is very important ... but I don't think our daughters need to give up a friend. Also, I don't want to burn the bridge with someone else in the neighborhood.

My husband thinks that's a cop out, and it's important to do the right thing. He also said he's afraid one day our daughters will come home and say something inappropriate from spending time at the politician's home.

My husband is at work but we'll discuss this again tonight. Before I sit down again with him, I have to ask - am I the rear end in a top hat for wanting to continue my family's relationship with a bigoted man's wife and daughter?

I'm doing this with the assumption the politician is a Trump idiot. That said, it very well could be switched and be super religious/conservative, and if that's the case, gently caress em.

I'm of the belief here that they should actively shun them. Don't just freeze them out, literally let them know why. Don't yell, don't fight, simply say, "you hold reprehensible beliefs, I don't want my kids in your house."

Now sadly, it sucks for the kids, and I'd actually say the best action here is to explain to your children why they should not go over to the politician's house anymore. They can still be friends with Chrissy, just keep them away from the poo poo parents.

Also, the wife is married to the politician, so yeah, also terrible.

EDIT: Steve King seems too well known, but truthfully, making national news the the opposite of not being well known.

ScentOfAnOtaku fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Aug 6, 2019

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA for not identifying myself as American?

Ha, no of course not. You are a person with a functioning brain, it's like when Americans used to travel to Europe with Canadian flags on their backpacks to be treated well, it's common sense.

With lottery dad, I will never understand how someone can be part of a family, proclaim how much they love them, but then to immediately say, "No, it's my money".

He has a point with him working with it to make it happen, but he hid it all from his wife, which is suspect in itself.

Mr. Lobe posted:

nationalism is a disease of the mind

I wish more people felt this way, I really, really do.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

Power Khan posted:

AITA for wanting to be buried my own way

I go to church every Sunday with the wife and always wear my suit. I HATE wearing a dress shirt and tie bc I feel I am being choked. While discussing my funeral (no, I don't plan on dying anytime soon) my wife told me she is going to bury me in my suit against my wishes. I realize that I won't actually be there for it, but I want to go out my way. Hell, the mortician can fill my body up with peanut butter and tie my body to a tree and have squirrels feed out of my rear end in a top hat for eternity, it really doesn't matter. I just don't want that drat shirt and tie

I'll say the same to this as I did to my priest mother when I was a child. If God cared about what I wore to church, he's focused on the wrong stuff, and I don't care what he thinks then.

Who gives a poo poo what you are wearing when you are dead? It doesn't loving matter.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

There was an update: (bolding is mine)

A lot of people mentioned that if she can do this type of thing to an ex-friend, then she can do the same to an ex-husband. This has me worried some, I'd like to believe she wouldn't go nuclear on me if we did file for divorce.

Yeah, she isn't the type to do something so crazy as that.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for not wanting my mom to come to a childhood dream birthday of mine?
I first didn't want to tell her because I did not want her to feel like she was a bad parent. This car factory thing was just a small mistake - otherwise she raised me well and fairly.

My sister is saying that I'm being petty. She says that our mom made this mistake a long time ago and I should get over it by now. But I feel like what she did back then was pretty bad and I'd rather not be reminded of it while in the car factory. I'd rather just be alone there at the factory than have my mother with me - the one who prevented me from going in the first place. I feel like I have the right to be mad about this.

For such a small mistake which means nothing, they seem pretty bent out of shape about it.

I actually think it's great for them to go on their own. They've wanted to do this, never once has the mom made good on it, so go on your own and make that point, but don't act like it isn't a statement to the mom. Clearly, it is.

I just think they need to accept that it hurt them more than they seem to think, and that it should be brought up with the mom how that affected them, because that would probably help them get to some point of healing.

To say one other thing though, using that carrot on a stick, but never actually doing it, that's just being a lovely person.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

LadyPictureShow posted:

Was it wrong of me [24M] to ask my girlfriend [22F] to remove her socks during tickle fights?

I mean, I just wanted to see what they looked like with the socks off, wouldn't it be crazy if one ended up in my mouth, haha, just asking.

Or alternatively, the ages should be 6 and 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

sexpig by night posted:

AITA for flipping out on my boyfriend for eating my cake?

Always a cool sign when your partner says sorry, then instantly gets angry at you if 'sorry' doesn't make you instantly forgive them

I couldn't help it. I only wanted to eat one little bite, with a fork, right out of the box, from your birthday cake, how does that make me selfish?