Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

WampaLord posted:

Trading Places has one of the most complicated comedy endings I've ever seen. It inspired a law to be passed to prevent something like that from happening.

It's a great Xmas movie. That and Die Hard make for great movies while wrapping presents for kids.

Behold: A really sleazy lawyer and a really, really dumb person.

Why would a lawyer [60ish/M] want to have sex with me [27/F]? What does he want to gain from this?

quote:

Hello everyone, I'm having some legal troubles at the moment, and my lawyer has essentially sexually propositioned me. I confirmed his intentions in previous posts and gained some legal advice. He is leaving it in my hands to ask, but it is very clear what he wants.

He is around 60 years old, and I'm 27. He's married, with four daughters. I'm not interested, at all. I just want a clean criminal record, but I am confused.

What does he want this? Is he doing me a favour - offering me free services and extra $$ for sex, or is he actually sexually attracted to me?
Why would someone so much older than me be interested in me in this way?
Why would he risk compromising his professional reputation? I'm not that attractive.

I'm going to report him, and get my summons back, I just want to understand why he is doing this.
Thanks, guys!

tl;dr: I've been sexually propositioned by a criminal lawyer and don't understand why he would do this. Help me understand!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

ArbitraryC posted:

I can't find the original reddit thread but did the person who found this know if it was ever clarified, like why exactly does she think her lawyer is soliciting her?

Her comments are as dumb as her post
https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/64l77l/why_would_a_lawyer_60ishm_want_to_have_sex_with/

quote:

Can't he find someone his own age? Lol!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Fullhouse posted:

thinking it's pretty likely that dude isn't an actual lawyer

Lady, this is a Cinnabon but I'll do what I can.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I put Himalayan pink salt on my zucchini. I live in the Midwest. Come at me.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I think it's worse in the US instead of Europe because I think culturally we raise very immature people up until the age of 22. College is essentially really loving expensive 4 year summer camp for a large majority of the population.

a 20 year old French/German/English kid is as bad as a 20 year old US kid. Less likely to binge drink (maybe), but really there is no meaningful difference. You might be somewhat biased by cultural exchange programs because those sometimes filter out real fuckups who cannot get their poo poo together, but if you spend time in those countries I don't think you'd have that opinion.

If anything, EU 20-year-olds are maybe a bit more childish but maybe a little less likely to make really stupid decisions. It's a tight horserace though.

Kids that age in India are basically children, because high school is really loving stressful so they kind of relive some childhood later. It was weird being in India and having a bunch of 22-25 year olds SUPER excited about a water park.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Yeah I was actually thinking of adding that caveat to my post because I realized that I had only met people smart enough to get into the exchange program OR motivated enough to emigrate.

This being SA, thank you for not launching into a tirade of abuse at my mistake

Yeah, selection bias is a helluva thing. But kids that age act like kids that age. This has been true for generations, and it's true almost entirely globally.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Is the "Grandma should have gotten a release form to prevent people from wanting to steal babby" in the top quintile of dumbest derails in this thread or no? It's hard to keep track.

I wanted to not accidentally get a handjob while getting a massage from a Korean senior citizen, but then I did and I know why...

Cause I got high
Because I got high
Because I got high

I [27] received a happy ending at one of the most well reviewed/well known spas in Manhattan the day my wife [23] went out of town. I really need input on how to deal with what feels like irreparable damage to our relationship.

quote:

First, let me explain our relationship. We’ve been married for about a year and it has been everything I could have hoped. She is absolutely the love of my life. I could go on and on about how amazing our relationship has been but you can take me at my word. We do everything together and are fairly codependent, but in a good way for the time-being.

Now to explain the events that transpired a few days ago that have racked me with soul-crushing guilt. I booked a massage at a very reputable spa with the intent of spoiling myself on a day when I knew I would be having a very difficult time with my wife being gone. I told her I was planning it and she raised an eyebrow because she know all too well how expensive spas are in Manhattan, but she understood it was part of my coping with her absence. Before going to the appointment, I vaped some very strong weed. I had always wanted to go to a massage high and it was the perfect opportunity. As soon as I got outside paranoia started creeping in. I, like many people, get anxious when the weed is too strong and there are strangers everywhere. Anyway, I arrived at the spa and it was pretty nice. Marble floors, courteous receptionist, lots of other spa-goers. Rating the quality of the place, it was somewhere in between Equinox and 24-Hour Fitness. It was def legit, as I had thought it would be when I chose the spot.

The massage therapist was very good (Korean in her 60s) and very professional. After about 45 minutes of business as usual, she started to massage me in places I did not expect. All I could think was is this seriously happening? All she said was, “this is just a massage.” Well, it wasn’t. Of course it felt good but I knew I didn’t want it. For some f-ing reason, I didn’t tell her to stop. I think I may have been too timid, feeling like I’m in this reputable place and if I don’t go along with it then they’d have reason to think I may go to the police or something. Maybe some irrational paranoia resulting from the Kush. So I let her continue and finished after 20 seconds. Being 27, I can last a long time pretty easily but I wanted it to be over. I immediately got up, paid for the full 90 minute massage and got out of there. That was not what I was looking for and I truly felt violated. Having someone touch me other than my wife felt indescribably bad. Like the worst thing I’ve ever done/had happen to me. One question I keep asking myself is “did I cheat?”
In a panic, I called my best friend after my wife didn’t answer and confessed to him and asked for his advice on what to do. The gist of that conversation was go with your gut. So I did, and called her immediately to confess. I was still a bit stoned, and I’m concerned that in my panic/cloudy state I didn’t explain things to her very well. At this point, she says she knows I didn’t go looking for it but she is really upset that I didn’t stop it. (I’m just as upset and dumbfounded about that too) She comes back in a few days and I really want to handle this right. I often let emotions get in the way of clear communication so I need to know exactly what to say and how to act before I see her.

She has asked for space until she gets back and I’ve given it to her, which has been monumentally difficult because I’m used to a constant flow of communication. So, if you were her, returning after a spring break trip with your best friend to your husband who has made this confession - how would you want your SO to handle things? She initially expressed that she wants to fix things and move on, but the next day she said she is having a really difficult time with her emotions and feels like a part of her is permanently damaged. Now I am wondering how I should act when I see her. Should I act as I normally would - super excited and happy to see her again. In a great mood to have her back. Or should I take a more sullen approach to express my remorse. She knows I’m remorseful, but phone calls and texts can only go so far. I don’t want to seem like it wasn’t a big deal to me. This will be my cross to bare. It weighs heavily on my soul. I’m scared that expressing guilt will make me look more guilty than I am. And I’m more scared of her hurting her further.
Any input on the situation is very welcome. If anyone wants to reprimand my stupidity, go for it. But I definitely beat you to the punch on that both literally and figuratively.

tl;dr: Got a happy ending without asking but didn't stop it. Confessed to my wife who is out of town this week and need advice on how to handle things moving forward.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I don't even know about this one. If you feel like skipping the content you get the gist from the title.

My(27F) boyfriends(27M) bestfriend(27M) ate my betta fish

quote:

I am still in shock. This happened over the weekend. My boyfriend of 8 months, Ill call him Joe, and I planned to have people over and enjoy the weather by making a bonfire in my back yard. The party was going well and Joe had all his close friends attend. His closes friend, Ill call him Richard, and I have always been cordial but I find him loud and obnoxious and generally just do not like him. There are many reasons why I do not like him including him telling me very inappropriate jokes about women and weight that I do not find funny, him calling me an inappropriate name, him disrespecting my relationship with Joe by bringing up Joe's past relationships, him keeping a pair of prescription glasses accidentally left at his house, the list goes on. Although I do not care for Richard I have always encouraged Joe and his friendship.

So the party goes well and everyone seemed to have a good time. They all head out me and Joe go to bed. Joe had to work Sunday so he woke up and went to work. I spent the day with my mother. Fast forward to Joe coming home from work, clearly distraught and begins to tell me Richard ate my betta fish at the party the night before. I am in complete shock and disbelief.

I believe this guy did this in a malicious way to hurt me and to drive a wedge between me and Joe. Joe explained to me that he received a phone call from Richard around noon telling him he ate my fish. Richard wanted Joe to buy me a new fish and slip it in the tank before I could realize the old one was gone!! Joe told him he was completely in the wrong and needed to contact me and apologize and get me a new fish. Richard says "there is no way I can face that music" and Joe says that if Richard does not tell me he will. Richard has the audacity to tell Joe that it will make him look awful for not stopping him!!!!??! Joe was completely unaware that Richard ate the fish (all of the party goers were unaware he ate the fish)!
So Joe comes home (with a new fish) and tells me, I am a complete mess. Sad, hurt, furious. I can not get over it. I feel like Richard knew exactly what he was doing. He did it with intent to cause harm to me. I have reason to believe he does not like me, I mean who in their right mind EATS A PET FISH? I invited this guy into MY home and he disrespects me by eating my fish! I do not know how to move on. I told Joe I never want to see Richard again. The kicker is me and Joe just signed a lease to move in together but I told Joe, Richard is not welcome at our new home. Joe has been more than understanding and is on my side and is also very hurt.

Am I right to want Joe to no longer associate with Richard? A part of me feels really bad for telling Joe that he should no longer consider this person a friend (I have never done that regarding anyone else in his life) but apart of me feels like if Joe continues to hang out with Richard, Richard will think I am not worthy of respect and his actions have no consequences?

tl;dr: Had a party. My boyfriends best friend ate my pet betta. Never want to see this guy again and want my boyfriend to stop hanging out with him. Don't know if this is a healthy request?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Bamabalacha posted:

For real, I would either assume they massively fudged some details or I would laugh and laugh and laugh and never stop.

At the very least the woman wasn't in her 60s.

Dienes posted:

She wears bathing suits in her pool! She's clearly showing off for me. When I look in her bedroom window, sometimes she is naked! This can only be a sign she wants me.

Here, look, I've obsessively cataloged every minute of her day and what she is wearing. When you compare this data to national trends you can clearly see...

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

quote:

Instead, I tried to decompress by talking with friends. Only, I see from my living room that the girls are going around to my neighbors complaining that we called the police for no reason.

How did she know they were doing this?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

I assumed she asked about it later.

She wasn't streaming that post live,

Nope, she was asking advice IF she should talk to the neighbors or not, so she hasn't spoken to anybody.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

That post seems to be aimed at you so uh?

Huh? Blue Train was being skeptical about what the mom heard, so it was in agreement.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I mean, she's a lovely person, but props to the 40-something Mom who landed a Bella Hadid lookalike with a Pepe Le Pew level deception.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

quote:

they also don’t realize I know that they’re secretly dating

This was written with just enough malice, was just enough out of left field that I think we found the real problem he had with their work performance.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Danaru posted:

Just leaned I have a son. Another man is paying for his child support. Can I establish myself as the father?

Update: Just leaned I have a son. Another man is paying for his child support. Can I establish myself as the father?

:whitewater:

Oh, you also hosed my wife? Sure sure, fill out these forms and leave a cheek swab here. I'll send out a form email later to let you know which, if any, of my children are yours and I can refer you to a family attorney. Thank you very much for calling me, world's most understanding cuck.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Admiral Ray posted:

Probably have her transferred out or something, so yes. Or fire her.

A few years ago, or maybe like 10, a dental hygienist was fired because she was, in the dentist's wife's view, too hot for the dentist to be trusted around, despite having been employed for a number of years prior. When she sued for wrongful termination, the judge upheld that she was indeed too hot to be around, and therefore the firing was justified.

So what I'm saying is the world is large and full of wonder.

Edit: it was only 4 years ago, neat.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-dentist-sex/firing-attractive-assistant-is-legal-iowa-court-reaffirms-idUSBRE96B0XA20130712

For what it's worth, the court doesn't decide if the reason is justified. In the US you don't need to give a good reason to fire someone, you just can't fire someone for a wrong reason. She tried to say she was fired due to her gender and the court said that wasn't the reason. So the judge doesn't need to uphold the reason, they just need to say "It wasn't that other reason you say it was".

I think the judge was probably wrong here since how is gender not applicable here, but whatever. You can fire someone because you don't like their hair color as long as hair color isn't a protected status.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

fruit on the bottom posted:

I [17M] made my best friend [17F] cry in front of our entire class when she was supposed to give a presentation

My hot take is that she could dish it out but wasn’t ready to take it. Also she probably wants/wanted to bang him.

She had a crush on him, he crushed her spirit, but drat that was a great comeback. Like "Think of it in the shower later" level. He probably passed on a relationship or whatever, but he'll remember that burn the rest of his life. Worth it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Doggles posted:

Oooooh, never thought to search for "amish" before...

I [26F] lied to my boyfriend [28M] about being Amish the first time we hooked up, and now I'm trapped in the lie.

From Georgia in the new gender-swapped Seinfeld.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

He spent $30,000 remodeling a rental?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Hostile takeover of a condo association

(Toronto, Ontario) Single person now more than 50% of my buildings condo units. Dissolved condo board, and installed themselves. Now she is telling us at the end of the month we won't have our parking spots anymore. Is this legal?

quote:

I bought my condo brand new in 2014, it was a small building (~32 units) on 4 floors. It is in a really nice location and i paid a fair amount for my unit. When i first moved in we had a condo management company, who did a fine job.

Unfortunately late last year we discovered at the board meeting that someone had now owned over 50% of the condos. This person is someone who on several occasions had tried to pressure me into selling my condo to her (she was offering less than what i paid, and i wouldn't be able to find an equivalent condo in the same area for the amount she was offering).

This person basically voted by her self to dissolve the condo board, and elected herself as the sole person in charge of everything. Today i received a letter from our new condo overlord which states:

By March 1st our parking spots are no longer going to be available. If we want to keep our spots we must pay $175/month.
Failure to do so will result in our cars being towed.

I have paperwork from when i bought my condo, parking spot #3C was included in my purchase. When i pointed this out to her about this i was told to more or less go gently caress my self, and if my car is there on march 1st it will be towed. I basically have a single day to figure out what to do. Since this comes into affect tomorrow. Do i go try to find legal advice right now?

EDIT I have managed to 3 other people in our building together to go see a lawyer tomorrow.

To explain a few things:

I do have a title to my parking spot, that from my understanding basically says i own that parking spot.
We only have around ~18 parking spots, and there are more tenants than spots available.
I have nowhere to park aside from my parking lot, street parking is basically good for an hour tops, and trying to find a place is like looking for a needle in a haystack.
I found out today she isn't the sole overlord of our condo board, apparently the other 2 board members one is her husband and the other is related to her.
Her husband owns a towing company.
Apparently someone is moving into the building tomorrow and has paid for my spot so if i am not gone by midnight she is towing my car.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

If the formal letter is really threatening to use legal costs as leverage then he should send it to the bar association. If the girlfriend is a member that is a big no-no.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Am idiot.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 8, 2018

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

ArbitraryC posted:

solid cross post

I was surprised it wasn't already posted.

I know the original poster was entitled to the accolades but I decided I deserved to post it because I read the bad with money thread.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Lol, 2nd woman knocked him cold with a 1-2. This is who Ana from that story the other day needs to aspire to.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

phasmid posted:

I missed the part where he pushed first. So it sounds like she accidentally bumped into him at which point he became abusive and then decided to push her which is assault, and she hit back in self defense after he called her a spear-chucking porchmonkey. That about right?

He yelled at 1st woman (who was probably African-American) and then got knocked out by her friend (who I think he said wasn't, and thus shouldn't have been offended by his racism). Given the 2nd woman was defending her friend it probably wouldn't even be assault ignoring the racist piece too.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

quote:

If she's this worried about you cheating, I wonder if SHE'S cheating. A lot of times cheaters obsess over their partners cheating, either because they feel guilty or else they assume everyone cheats and they want to catch you first...

Maybe SHE'S the immortal insect person, it's normal to accuse others first.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

HoAssHo posted:

Comment from OP:

I have no idea what to think now.

Honestly, the story the husband told makes a lot more sense than him forgetting what one of her friend's looks like and having a sauna buddy take his tinder pictures for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Here's one in the category of:
:stare: I don't think Reddit can help you

Friend's wife may have molested a minor

quote:

Throwaway here. This is in the United States. Just got off the phone with a good friend. His kid was texting him saying boys at high school were saying my friend's wife sent boob pics to them and grabbed one boy's penis. This supposedly happened weeks ago. My friend says his wife was distraught over a death and went to stay by herself to grieve alone and drink. He left her at 3AM at her insistence and returned at 7 to find her gone. He knew she had been drinking heavily, so was very worried. She finally showed up and said she was just out driving. He ripped her rear end for being out driving drunk, but no one got hurt, so that was that. I'm not condoning any of this--just passing along the story.

So today, friend gets these texts from his daughter and calls his wife. She admits that on that night, she left the place she was staying, drove to pick up a male high school friend of the daughter, and took him back to the place she was staying. She claims they made out, says he may have fondled her breasts, claims no one was ever naked, and says she doesn't think she touched his penis. After telling my friend this, his wife says to meet her at couple's therapy this afternoon (like 10 minutes from now) so they can talk it through.

I told my friend that I'm pretty sure the counselor has a duty to report if they talk about a sexual encounter between the wife and a minor. Here's the thing: the friend also works for the public school district where this boy is a student. So I don't know if he now has like a Title IX duty to report it, or if that's trumped by his fifth amendment rights or what.

I told him to skip the therapist and go straight to a lawyer to find out what his obligations are and to ensure that he and his kids are protected. This will come out publicly--I think that's pretty certain. And if she's charged with something that leads to a sex offender registration, that could be more devastation than my friend and his kids will already have to deal with. What's his play in this situation? Obviously he has to think of his kids first and everything else second, but how does that play out? Should he report it? Should he do something else? What's the move that legally will best protect him and his kids from the fallout of this loving nightmare? Other than go straight to a lawyer, I mean. I think that's an obvious first move. What's his exposure here? Thanks for any help.

EDIT: Included location