Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

Khorne posted:

Hypertrophy is just one variable to strength. If you are training for strength and do drop sets they probably won't hurt but could be less productive than doing a relevant accessory.

da gently caress does this even mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!
^ phoneposting so can't link to a specific program atm but my suggestion would be to mainly work within the 10-15 rep range with moderately challenging weights and focus on getting a good pump. There are heaps of ways to structure a workout, and often the plan you enjoy most and will be able to stick to is the best answer. For example, right now I'm personally liking combining bis with tris, shoulders with back, chest solo, legs solo. If I get bored, every so often I'll change it up. I mix 10 mins of abs in 3 times a week also. Key is to do stuff you enjoy and lift until you're gassed. Best of luck

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!
I like mixing various pre-workouts and creating my own supersaiyan gnar potion

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!

Chinatown posted:

ive been tempted to order a thing of gnar pump but i work out mostly in the evenings

da gently caress are u waitin for

https://twitter.com/BroScienceLife/status/791494632559345664

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!

Chinatown posted:

also last night at the gym this dude was doing standing curls with a 100lb barbell and it was about 50lb too heavy for him and he looked like he was about to pull his back lol

those are twink curls

step 1: select dumbbell way too heavy for you
step 2: flail arms & thrust back outwardly
step 3: allow for 3 inch ROM on the way back down. if you reach 90 degree parallel with the floor you've gone too far

repeat til you quit gym (usually 1-2 weeks)

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!
Protip: verify credibility of advice given ITT alongside weightloss photo thread

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!

Dum Cumpster posted:

But people giving good advice would never have been fat in the first place???

lol what's with the past tense

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!

UnfurledSails posted:

Now, of course it's probably not a good idea to listen to a fat person's opinions on how to lose weight.

ty. Or how to workout

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!
The thing about good mornings is that it's actually a good exercise in terms of the general movement patterns BUT so many people lack the thoracic extension to do them properly. Row variations are safer imo.

If you're flexible though go nuts

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!

Pump it up! Do it! posted:

Is doing heavy deadlifts every week really worth it? Every guy I know who has hosed up their back at the gym has done it doing deadlifts.

the answer lies in your username

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!

Pon de Bundy posted:

if you curl a 25 lb weight a ton instead of doing progressive heavier bicep curls ..will you just get really veiny biceps ? What happens if you do tons of reps with relatively low weight ?

this is very general advice but you absolutely should be progressively working most muscle groups across a spectrum of low/heavy weight (4-7 reps), medium/moderate weight (8-12 reps) and high/lightweight (15-25 reps) ranges.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!
http://strengtheory.com/hypertrophy-range-fact-fiction/ (click for fancy graphs and calculations).

quote:

So, here’s what I’m personally taking away from this:

The “hypertrophy range” of roughly 6-15 reps per set may produce slightly better results per unit of time invested than low rep and high rep work. However, on the whole, the advantage you get from working in the hypertrophy range isn’t nearly as big as people seem to think; maybe a ~10-15% advantage per unit of effort invested at most.

You can absolutely grow effectively when training with low reps and high reps. In fact, mechanistic work has shown that although different rep ranges trigger similar elevations in protein synthesis, the signaling pathways activated to produce that growth response are actually somewhat different. You’re probably missing out on some growth if you confine yourself to a single rep range, even the “hypertrophy range.” My assumption is that individual signaling pathways would habituate to a single stimulus faster than multiple signaling pathways would habituate to slightly different stimuli.

Due to the sheer amount of variability we’re looking at, both within studies and between studies, it’s probably not wise to assume that a single rep range will be the best for everyone. Some people and some exercises just seem to do better with higher reps or lower reps.

As a general rule of thumb: Aim to get 60-70% of your work sets in the rep range that you personally find works best for you, and get 15-20% of your sets with heavier weights/lower reps and about 15-20% of your work with lighter weights/higher reps.

Takeaways

The “hypertrophy range” isn’t meaningfully better for hypertrophy than higher or lower rep training physiologically. When adjusting for factors like the number of sets performed and the rest periods between sets, it may be slightly better on average, but there’s a lot of variability.

From a more practical perspective, the “hypertrophy range” is, in general, the intensity range that allows people to maximize how much hard work they can manage per workout and per week. However, looking at things from the reverse perspective (asking yourself how to maximize high quality sets per week), there is quite a bit of variability in optimal loading zone and rep range person-to-person and lift-to-lift.

There are probably benefits of utilizing rep ranges across the entire spectrum, so don’t neglect lower rep work and higher rep work in your training.

Again this is all rather general and may largely depend on the muscle group / individual, but from a practical perspective training in one basic rep range sounds hella dull so :shrug:

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!
ty.

also there is fun to be had in both pushing super heavy things AND gettin your pump on with reps. do whatever / both IMO

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!
I accidentally squatted a personal best today because my math sucks and I put more plates on the bar than intended

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

How do you guys feel about doing them like this dude? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5sNYB1Q6aM

When I first saw his channel I was weary because it has a lot of the "buy xxx" stuff and super catchy name, but once I watched them all he seems pretty informative. I've learned a ton of good stretches from him. The sitting down hamstring stretch is my favorite hammy stretch behind legs up the wall.

yeah he's probably the best bet you're gonna find on Youtube because he puts across a detailed understanding of muscle/joint mechanics, and doesn't just lazily resort to a bunch of bodybuilding cliches

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!

sassassin posted:

It's dumb as gently caress. If you're getting 11 reps on your work set you just did loving cardio, congrats.

lol

hells yeah

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!
lol if u lift for strength

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!

Khorne posted:

You're missing the fun progression part if you don't also lift for strength.

IDGAF about whatever number is stamped on the fuckin plate because real progress is in the mirror

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!
lol if u pay actual money for a tub of powdered calories just go eat some burgers or something

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!

Knight posted:

I think everyone went from "Everyone should be taking creatine" to "Nobody take creatine" within a 5 year period where it turned out it will speed up hair loss.

this is a real misleading generalisation

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!

Tiny Lowtax posted:

0% chance you have low T dude

reasons a bro can't make any gainz:

1) bad diet

2) bad form

3) bad routine

4) bad work ethic

5) low-T

TL;DR it's your diet u idiot

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!

89 posted:

They were explaining it to me that it's not necessarily the amount of testosterone after a certain level, but the level of "available" or "free" testosterone. Mine was at 8.7 and they want to get it between 10-15

lmao

throw your money away

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I wish my elbow would get better. I fear I may need 8 weeks no lifting...

If that even works.

what caused it to flare up

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!

Probably relying too heavily on pull ups since I'm at my parent's place without a gym.

maybe this will help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_1ylJ-9twY

also this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_93yIKub98

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!

Robert Red Rocket posted:

Has anyone tried out the Building Von Moger program? Any opinions on it?

i went to school with his psycho douchebag older brother who used to pick on him lots so I'm like 99% sure Callum got jacked just to be able to crush that guy like a grape in his bare hand

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!
brotip: salted-caramel flavoured protein powder in a hot bowl of oatmeal

food of Zeus himself

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!
it's amazing. enjoy

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!
oh boy an autistic spreadsheet diet that tells me to eat healthy high protein foods for the low low price of $100 where do I sign up

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!

sassassin posted:

every time I grip or flex my wrist

yeah it's ur grip dude. run through this checklist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWsoIgHzsEM

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!

sassassin posted:

I'll watch this later, but it's not wrist pain, it's elbow pain that's triggered when I flex my wrist.

Like I can do pushups no problem but holding a bar to bench press hurts. Wrists feel fine, occasionally a little tightness in the forearm, elbows feel like I'm pressing on a bad bruise.

I've had this before. In my experience, elbow and wrist pain are usually interrelated (one overcompensating for the other).

The reason I linked the above video is because it details a variety of methods to adjust your grip to alleviate the pain, including bench press and others. :cheers:

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!

Walking to locker room, saw a gym regular girl doing this

Had to stifle my laughter as I walked past. Never saw her do pull-ups before... I guess I still haven't seen her do an actual pullup.

there's a girl at my gym who does the same thing ... on the assisted pullup machine :stonklol:

she also does super rapidfire shoulder / chest machine presses (max 2 inch ROM). it's lol

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!
it takes most people forever just to get the mechanics of the deadlift safely down pat lol and yet here they are magically pulling 165kg in a mere few months just lol

caps on caps on caps posted:

Edit: women apparently deadlift on average 140kg if they train for a while
where are these women?

they're online and trolling https://www.strongerbyscience.com for lulz

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!
of course those numbers are achievable you idiots

the problem is that he surveyed 1800 randos and wrote an article based on the idea that those numbers were the average

may I suggest considering the athletic appearance and prowess of your average gym lifter

lmao

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!

Khorne posted:

Nothing he sells benefits from that article.

Dum Cumpster posted:

It's a survey of people who use his programs

:v:

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!
lol you can't even argue in good faith. just ad hominem bullshit

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!

Dum Cumpster posted:

How would results his clients got before becoming his clients help his sales?

It doesn't, if that's the case. But he can theoretically publish a bunch of numbers in an article to attract new clientele, right?

I generally like Greg Nuckols and his website and tbh I doubt this is actually a sales pitch article. That said,

Greg Nuckols is outta his goddamn mind posted:

The difference in strength per month of training (not exactly rates of progress since these data were cross-sectional, but probably a good proxy) seem about right based on what I’ve seen from people who manage their own training, but they’re considerably smaller than you could expect if you hired a competent coach early in your lifting career.

just lmao. really dude?

:psyduck: In any case this is in no way shape or form a controlled study, and there's no method to determine the reliability of the results.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!

Dum Cumpster posted:

Yeah, we probably need a peer reviewed study to show that having someone that knows what they're doing helping you from the start will make you better at something.

uhh that's not my point. He's implying that the average rate of progress across the board seems low to him.

"What these slacker chicks that DL 140kg on the reg need is a coach!" just lmao

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!
lol cardio

in other news I broke some bones in my foot today. 4 weeks of curl city #biami

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!

Pesmerga posted:

Also on nutrient timing - the 'no carbs at night' thing is bullshit right?

it's total nonsense