Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer
http://i.imgur.com/yzFKmgZ.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/X2DCDZd.gifv

Thots and Prayers fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

Grimey Drawer
Me:

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Can't wait to pick up this "Ab Incline Bench + Weights" for $8. What a steal!

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Pump it up! Do it! posted:

I'm starting to get a bit fatter and I really wanna bulk for real but the problem is that I'm studying abroad in a country where there always is beach weather and I hang out a lot at the school pool with all the hot girls and don't wanna get fat.

That'll teach you to study abroad anywhere but Scandinavia.

Muggles can't distinguish gains. If you're lifting for girls then stay lean with a twinky six pack. Or go study someplace like American Samoa and embrace your bearmode gains.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer
(eh)

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Get huge leave huge coffin, I know what I'm picking pussies

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Pesmerga posted:

Hey swolethread I was kind of tempted to post a picture so that I could be told whether I should keep going on this bulk or if I need to stop before it's too late but that's probably a bad idea I guess so never mind. v:v:v

Do it - just blur identifying poo poo out.

e: also me:

Thots and Prayers fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jan 31, 2017

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Also me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImaqSv_lCow

305 bench at 132 lbs get on my tiny tiny level

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Pesmerga posted:

Judge away, swolethread. Me at 5'9" and 151lbs, feeling a little flabby.

If you feel flabby then cut.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Found an old training log of mine from ~5 years ago. Just loving poverty numbers.

I was so fastidious with my logs then. Also I'd leave little notes for myself: "If I was a trainer I'd hire a hot chick to hit on my client after a few weeks of work. $$$$"

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Realtalk, my gym doesn't allow chalk and it makes me angry.

I don't have this particular brand but I find liquid chalk to be great in places that don't otherwise allow it.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I've done 2x cardio so far this week and it's only Wednesday, gonna have that sleek marathon runner physique any day now.

On a positive note - if you haven't read Marathon Investigation you should - it's entertaining. Dude analyzes people's Boston Marathon qualifying times vs. their BM finishing times and finds many, many instances of people cheating marathons. Good stuff if you enjoy a little schadenfreude.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Batterypowered7 posted:

What's a good squatting goal for a short, small man (5'8", 136lb)? I'm currently squatting 185 but I'm always wary of my knees (broken meniscus in both).

Bodyweight x 1.5 is a solid squat (204#?) and BWx2 (272#) is always impressive.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Batterypowered7 posted:

Is there an exercise that should be done on a Smith Machine that wouldn't just be better to do with a barbell? Why do Smith Machines exist?

I do seated behind-the-neck-presses with smith machines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nncgrxjQ0aM

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

i think mine was like 227 and the free test was 6.9

Dude, that's p low. Get that poo poo straightened out toot sweet.

Two minor updates:
I was feeling very vascular the other day:

I came out of the gym this morning and this jalopy wheezed past the front door:

Missing at least half the glass (and it was drizzling), spewing black smoke, with a small child and big dog in the back seat. The mom parked, gave the leash to this big-rear end dog to the kid, and walked into the dollar store while I stood there and gawped. I wasn't the only one, a little old lady was right next to me saying "That ain't right." She went over to talk to the girl, came back and said "She's filthy - will you call the cops?" So I did and that little old lady and I hung out in the parking lot until the cop came. Sad business all around.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I hope she goes to kid jail

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Time posted:

I have recently gotten more serious about running and the leg accessory work on top of that is really beating my legs up and isn't sustainable long term.

I know that's it's become the most trite term in the industry but there really is something behind the idea of 'overtraining' and extensive running combined with heavy strength training is one way of getting there. Whether it's a lack of recovery time, repetitive motion injuries, or whatever - listen to your body first and foremost.

Staying healthy and losing a bit off your squat is 100x better for you than getting injured and losing both your squat and running progress.

Paper Diamonds posted:

Hey everybody?

I'm squatting 315 for reps (A big goal I had when I first started lifting).

Congrats! :toot:

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

nooneofconsequence posted:

A woman at the gym asked me to lower an adjustable cable for her, but then a week later I saw her doing it for herself no problem. Was she hitting on me? 🤔

Also she rubbed my arms and said how strong I was looking and dabbed at her collar but it was warm in there that day I mean I was a little sweaty myself

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Is it the high-in-fish Icelandic diet?

If by fish you mean steroids, then yes.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Pesmerga posted:

I hate deadlifts. They suck. Or I suck at them. Either way, are dumbbell lunges an acceptable alternative?

Try a trap bar/hex bar deads before giving up on deads entirely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzvsIU9FW60

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Zzulu posted:

does he seriously claim to be natural lmao

I am 100% positive that Mike "The Natty King" O'Hearn accepted a 'Lifetime Natural Drugfree' award a few years ago. Let's see if I can find it in the swamp of the internet...

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer
RIP Piano Man, you made me laugh over the years.

Walking into Rich's funeral like:

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Pennywise the Frown posted:

As just the warmup. Can't I just go on a treadmill/eliptical for a while so get all of the blood flowing?

You can do whatever you'd like to warm up. I still like to throw in a single very light set of 5 just as a way to 'remember' the movement.

I don't have any science behind this, it's just something that works for me.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Lactose Is Wack posted:

does anyone here have any experience with low volume training?

I also wear earplugs when working out. I like the kind that are attached to a string so they're reusable and hard to lose. Blocking out that terrible pop station (+ commercials) at the gym helps my focus quite a bit.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Sisyphus smiled as he pushed the boulder up the hill

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer
me after my sets
https://i.imgur.com/khOnfT4.gifv

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

sassassin posted:

The dumbbells in my gym are too small for me there's another new pair of 50kgs on the racks but still nothing heavier ffs.

Any tips for one arm rowing a barbell in a way that would massively inconvenience everyone around me? For a start I'd have to build some sort of platform to get the right height and range of motion.

Cable machine available? Set it low and pull with a handle attachment. Experiment with the height. Gonna need to plant yourself when it gets heavy for you.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Kelp Me! posted:

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to doing sets with increasing weight and decreasing reps during the same workout? like 1x10 @ 70%, 1x8 at 75%, 1x6 at 80%, etc.

I've got this issue with my squats and bench where I can do 10 reps at, for example, 105lb, but can barely finish 5 reps at 115lb, and I'm trying to break past that. Been stuck at the same super-low weights on those 2 exercises for a few weeks now.

"Pyramid sets" or "pyramid training"

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Gonked myself in my mouth with a straight bar, a shitton of weight, and tricep push downs on a cable machine. Last set of the last weighted exercise of the day too.

Rolled out of my hands at extension, weights came crashing down, bar clipping my mouth as it went upwards. Scared the poo poo out of this little Asian lady doing lat pull downs.

Big chunk out of the inside of my lip, could've been worse. No broken skin on the outside where the knurling raked me.

Cut's going well

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

I live in Minnesota and it's dark and cold half the year. A couple of years ago I got the idea to use artificial turf in my gym - I ordered a small piece and it performed great. Durable and enjoyable to be on, I pulled the trigger ($350 or so) and bought enough to do the entire area. Just finished installing it this weekend and I already love it.

ham_sanitizer posted:

(bloody toe pic)

:eyepop: wow, loving OUCH. Sorry about that, my man. Take good care of it.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Helios Grime posted:

That looks nice, but isn't it a bit wobbly for squat/deadlift movements?

Nah, it's indoor/outdoor turf on a cement basement floor. No padding to speak of.

The spot that I'm standing upon to take the image is a 8' section with craigslist yoga flooring beneath it. It's pretty snazzy.

E: the original image, not the one of the turf cross section

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

bomb posted:

Is it comfy?

Yeah, it's really pleasing to walk on and the padded area is warm(er) and good for stretching or lying on.

I enjoyed it enough to post about it on internet forums, fwiw.