Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Maybe this is the month where I won't just lose track of the thread. Probably not though.

Looking forward to finally playing the Tomb Raider again this month and also buying Rez for the third time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone edited that gif to place the straw slightly to the left yet?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I've rarely felt as embarrassed watching a trailer as I have for that game.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Mods please changed name to "even Yaoi?!?" tia

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
From what I understand it really feels like the RLM review wants to say there are too many non-white people in TFA but never has the balls to directly say that. That's just what I heard though. I'm not spending almost two hours to find out.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I feel mixed about the diversity arguments that go on. On the one hand I think it's dumb to demand every movie needs a non-white character or needs to pass the Bechdel test, on the other hand I find it even more dumb to get mad when people do choose to put non-white non-male characters into movies to the degree that the first group aren't even worth mentioning in comparison. Like, I think not every movie needs to be diverse and some movies it doesn't even work for but on the other hand if every movie had minority actors and strongly written women, i can't imagine that actually having any real negative effect so it seems nonsensical to get up in arms about it.

Like let's say that RLM is right and TFA awaken's cast is diverse for diversity's sake. Why should I care?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Quest For Glory II posted:

i dont think there's any setting in western media where it makes sense for there only to be white people so i wont really ever get the 'forced diversity' argument

Well there was that time that Spike Lee complained that Eastwood WWII movie didn't have any black people in it when there was in fact no black people at the battle.

Then, on a lesser note, there's when people were complaining that Her had very few black people in it when Her is like the whitest movie and even if it had an all minority cast it would still be the whitest movie ever so the casting did work.

As I said, I don't think having a diverse cast tends to hurt anything but I think sometimes the complaints that a movie lacks it can get a bit silly because sometime it's just not taken in context and just used as a end all rule.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Pixel games, they just announced a sequel to The Escapist and I always find it funny when an "8-bit but better" pixel art game gets a sequel and they upgrade it to a "16-bit but better" pixel art game. Like graphical upgrades are supposed to be because of better hardware but in pixel games these days it's arbitrary as hell and just a choice so the upgrade to give an illusion of progress and just not being a complete rehash seems so silly and almost cynical to me.

Unrelated, to go back to geeky children names, the high water mark right now is still Kevin Smith naming his daughter Harley Quinn.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
God drat the Odin Sphere remake is good.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I know I'm really dumb for sort of wanting this and I'll probably not get it because the chance of any new Sonic game actually being one of the good ones is always 50/50 at best but I still sort of want this:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Nthing The Witness as the best on that list. Not only is it the best game listed, it'll give you more playtime than all the other games on the list combined.

After that, Inside is cool and crazy but, and I know I'm alone in this, I still liked Limbo way better. Firewatch is cool but also feels oddly lacking in a way that's hard to explain.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I feel bad because I have so much good stuff to play through right now (Odin Sphere, Rise of Tomb Raider, Thumper, Rez) yet lately all I've really been doing is playing Overwatch because I want some of those sweet, sweet Halloween goodies.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

paint dry posted:

Could just be an HD remaster of the first one. Plus they're also remastering Red Dead Revolver. If it's the latter people are gonna be mighty pissed off.

Wait, they're remastering Revolver? They just released a PS4 port of the PS2 version on PSN so it'd be a dick move to release that and then later rerelease it again.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Kickstarter can be stupid and sometimes things don't end up well but if you think Kickstarter has not produced some cool games that wouldn't have been made otherwise, you're just as stupid as those that think every Kickstarter will be great.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

Hyrule Warriors is surprisingly one of the tougher recent Warriors games, just beating the stages isn't too bad, though you do have to do a lot of plate juggling, but getting A ranks to unlock everything in Adventure maps becomes insane after a while. Either of the last mainline Dynasty or Samurai games is easier.

The addition in Pirate Warriors 3 of just putting your current rank in the corner was a god send HW really could have used (it helps that PW3 also got rid of taking damage effecting your rank).

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I find it funny that they were being this secretive about this. It looks fine like any Nintendo console and the gimmick is less dumb than their last three consoles, but this is still something that I don't think Sony or MS really care all that much about stealing and really it's nothing mind blowing anyways.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Grapplejack posted:

The red dead trailer looked really heavily like an mmo thing.

Also it was like 30seconds long and nothing happened.

I don't really know where you got MMO beyond it showing a posse riding together but the game sure looks pretty as hell.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I will be loving shocked if the game looks even half that good when it's released.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

In Training posted:

Well Sony tried to do exactly what this is doing with the Vita, remote play was a huge element of it when it was first unveiled and then integrated at a system level when the PS4 came out

But that just makes the whole secrecy thing sillier in a way.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if the screen on the Switch will be able to be used like a Wii U screen. I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted to leave that behind but if it could that would go a long way towards it being backwards compatible with the Wii U.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
As much poo poo as I give Nintendo, I'll get a switch because it has a new 3D Mario game. Still, I won't be getting it launch because it's extremely likely I'll still be really busy with Persona 5 and/or Nier II at that point.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Kirby Superscare! posted:

If your level is buying a switch on day one then I am there!

Don't buy consoles on day one.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It's still funny to me that after months of hype about how revolutionary their idea was, it was all pretty standard. They sure did pull the ol' bait and Switch on us all.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Kirby Superscare! posted:

Why not? I really want to enjoy the Nintendo switch!
I love my WiiU so very much.

If there's problems with the launch console you'll pretty much be SOL and at the very least if you wait just a few months you'll get a version with most of the problems ironed out and a few of the best launch games for free.

Celery Jello posted:

It only seems underwhelming because the concept of the thing leaked forever ago, so it's no longer a surprise.

I was pretty underwhelmed at the leak too.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Bitches get switches

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Switch better have my money

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I just realized that the rumors of it not using CDs are indeed true because there's no way that thing could work if it used CDs.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I dunno, the main thing with the NS is that Nintendo really hyped this as the thing that would turn everything around for their company. Hell they took a year off E3 and basically skipped the Holiday season this year so they could focus on it but I really don't see this being a system that will change much for them. I mean, it looks fine like any of their systems but I also can't really imagine anyone that isn't already on board with Nintendo giving that much of a poo poo. Like I get that people in the thread are excited because it'd a Nintendo console and it'll have cool Nintendo games but if you don't care about that I have trouble seeing why you'd be excited about this system.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

There's no loving way the switch can run the remastered edition, though. It's gonna be a bullshit bait and switch riding the coat-tails of the remaster's marketing.

Eh, I don't see why not. It's supposed to be a pretty powerful system though who knows what the actual specs will be.

Either way it doesn't mean much. Wii U launched with Arkham Asylum, Assassin's Creed III and Mass Effect 3 and some others but that didn't really say much for it's 3rd party support in the long run.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

I remember a similar list at the 3DS launch. Remember how there was gonna be a Saints Row game for that system?

And, once again. they had a similar list on the Wii-U launch. Maybe THIS will be the time that Nintendo actually does third party right on their console but I don't really see what's so different here where that'd be the case.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

LoveBoatCaptain posted:

If you're making a game for the 3DS you pretty much have to make it from the ground up, but making a port of an Xbox One game should be a lot easier. The cheaper it is to make games for the system, the more games it's going to get.

There's still a good chance those games won't sell and that the Switch is going to lose all 3rd party support within the first year though. At least we'll see more 1st party titles now that they're only making games for one platform rather than two.

Wait, are they actually ending the 3DS for this?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, thing is the Wii didn't compete on graphics either and it printed money. But people were fatigued from buying the Wii and didn't even realize the WiiU was a new console, so yeah, didn't sell so hot.

This is much more clearly a new product and has a new name that isn't dumb, it'll probably do pretty well.

The Wii sold really well because it became the trendy piece of tech that everyone wanted. Once the trend ended, the sales went way down and the system had trouble actually selling games throughout its lifecycle.

The WiiU name was a problem but it also was an underpowered system with a slow trickle of games, nothing that really appealed to gamers outside of their core and a gimmick that even Nintendo gave up within the first year. The name was a factor but it wasn't the only factor.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Red Bones posted:

Any reason why you think this? It seems like if someone likes the 3DS they will probably like this new console, since it pretty much fills the same role and will have a bigger games library going forward, plus you can plug it into your teevee and continue to game on the big screen.

It having a bigger library if games going forward is only true if they are going to stop supporting the 3DS, which as far as I can tell there is no confirmation of right now.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Red Bones posted:

Is there confirmation that Nintendo rolled all their dev teams together rather than having WiiU teams and 3DS teams? Because if all of Nintendo's internal development teams are making games for one console now instead of two, then there's going to be a bigger library and a bigger release slate year-on-year.

What I'm saying is there is no confirmation that I know if that they are just going to be developing for the NS outside of people just randomly assuming that in this thread

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Archer666 posted:

So this Switch thing is going to be digital only, right? SD support and internal storage could translate to 'lol have fun download your games gently caress physical media'

It appears to have 3DS like game cards.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Like seriously, Nintendo are the last company that would go digital only.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I do always wonder how many people like in the history of Winzip have given them money.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

Okay, I revise my question of "how?" to "why?"

Because it's not their problem once it's released.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
GotM for me is definitely Thumper.

Though if we're just talking about games we played this month it's Odin Sphere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think the only catch is you can use trial days before you add the three months, but not the other way around.

• Locked thread