Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

dudermcbrohan posted:

i really liked that shot of mika "relearning" how his right right arm worked after hooking up to barbatos. it was a nice touch.

I also liked the fact his first response on hearing an explosion was to draw a pistol he was carrying.

The pistol he brought with him to pick up friends from a school.

It's interesting to see just how venerated Tekkadan is getting. All Cookie and Cracker's schoolmates viewed "Dying for Mars in battle!" as The Coolest Thing Ever, while they... don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tae posted:

Really surprised all of gallyhorn got in big trouble over the s1 finale. I'd figure they just blame one branch and call it a day, not cause stability issues throughout the entire earth.

Gjelly's reputation was based in part on the idea they were invincible. That you don't dare gently caress with the guys with a monopoly on new MS engines, because they will stomp you into the ground.

Now a group of child soldiers ripped them a new rear end in a top hat, and suddenly everyone's realizing that maybe they can take 'em. So a lot of people are trying.

Add in the fact that the shining knights of Earth who shun any impurity have been building insane cyborg killbots who nearly slaughter parliament (with beloved young activist Kudelia Aina Bernstein able to go "Yeah, this kind of shady crap is their usual MO" from firsthand experience), and they're going to lose a lot of power, even if they try to shove it all onto McGillis's father, who was very bad and the only one who did anything like this, no really.

(...And now, thinking about it, considering the masked man... who's confirmed alive, knows McGillis is up to some shady bullshit, and has reason to want vengeance while being unable to show his face in public? Huh.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Droyer posted:

Something I found interesting was how Cookie and Cracker reacted when Mika drew his gun. I hope they're building up to something with that.

Well, right now it could just be that Mika's the closest thing to family they have left, barring their grandmother and, you know, each other. They lost both their brothers already, and Mika charging off into danger might remind them of that... unpleasantness.

But yeah. Could be some buildup there. Agree with your hopes.

Something that reminds me of, though, is how the episode does a pretty good job of distinguishing Cookie and Cracker despite both of them having a similar role in the narrative and the whole twin thing going on. Cracker's more confident and outgoing, Cookie's less. The one shot of Cracker offering her hand said a decent amount about both in very little screen time. Nice touch.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I think it's been mentioned that those are just big-rear end artillery cannons.

There was an artbook back in December that stated the Post Disaster timeline wouldn't have beam weapons. Now, that might have changed since, but I'm not going to assume they're going to be added without evidence beyond "this design has guns on its shoulders!"

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

I agree, but I was specifically talking about the villains, one of its weakest parts. One thing I do like about S2 is that everything seems hunky-dory in a very fragile way for Tekkadan. They've confirmed that Orga is genuinely noble, and is genuinely trying to pursue Kudelia's vision, but Mika is still dangerously unstable, and they're still caught between two entirely untrustworthy factions who they owe enormous debts to. It's obvious that they'll end up in conflict with Gjallarhorn again (probably so that McGillis can use them to eliminate his dangerous new political rival), but their relationship with Teiwaz also feels deeply suspect - they've got a staunch friend in Naze, but even he can only do so much to protect them if McMurdo starts getting ideas, and they're in far too deep to easily pull out.

Considering how IBO is occasionally fond of symbolism, it's probably relevant that Mika's big save at the start of the first season came when he burst out from the Martian dust.

Season 2 kicks off with the Barbatos Lupus crashing down from the heavens.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Droyer posted:

That's true, but considering they're keeping the masked man's identity hidden from the audience, I doubt that will be the case. I'm not convinced it's Gaelio (and as I've mentioned before I think it would be lame if it was) but I think it's bound to be a character we've seen before.

I keep saying it, but there's one person who definitely survived season one, who knows and was screwed over by McGillis, and who has drat good reasons not to show his face..

Iznario Fareed, McGillis's father.

Gali-Gali has a lot of reasons to show his face and few to hide it. Meanwhile, Iznario's in the opposite position. Of course, if someone happened to assume he was a dead hero as opposed to a live exile, well... that might suit him fine.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

bman in 2288 posted:

Speaking of Atra, kid has a growth spurt, she's almost taller than Mika. Holy poo poo, either she's supposed to be tall or Mika is actually really short.

And the malnutrition is implied.

Mika's ridiculously short. Like, maybe four foot something short. He doesn't come up to Orga's shoulders.

Now, admitted, Orga's a pretty tall guy, but he's not seven foot or anything. Mika's crazy short.

Doesn't stop him from deadlifting people with one hand, though.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Does anyone have that picture of QUALITY Atra with the handgun?

No, but I do have the one where she has a beam rifle.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

I loved that scene. There was no dramatic music, no ~tiger aura~, but you still absolutely knew that Mika was completely willing to kill that dude in an instant

Mika is in such a terrible place. He's beating himself up over not being able to help, and his reputation is is separating him from new Tekkadan members, his supposed new family.

That's something I really appreciate about Iron Blooded Orphans. It's good at not emphasizing horrible things. They're shown, or implied, but since it's so normal for the main cast, the show can kind of gloss over it in a way that wouldn't work for characters like Al in 0080.

Also, you know. Atra is great.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bloody Pom posted:

Mika is really, really good at depersonalizing his enemies. Like how when he was fighting with Gaelio, he calls him Gali-Gali and his immediate response to being corrected is more or less "doesn't matter, nobody will remember once you're dead".

Kid is ice cold.

I saw an interview a while back where Okada talked about how Mika came into being as a character. The first things she and the director established about him were

1) He and Orga were going to be at the center of the show, whatever their dynamic wound up being.
2) He was a natural ace mech pilot.

Which meant they spent a lot of time figuring out "Okay, so what is a guy whose natural talent is murdering the gently caress out of people going to be like?"

If it was "He really enjoys fights?" then he'd be pretty standard issue, so instead they wound up making, well, Mikazuki.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

And this is why he is my favorite character.

Eugene is definitely up there for me. You don't generally get someone who's trusted with a dangerous, high skill job where the pep talk is "And if you screw up and get us all killed, we'll just say 'What else did you expect from Eugene?'"

Also, I approve of Mika learning to kill with all parts of the Gundam. Some people get lazy with beamspam and one reliable combo. Mikazuki figures out how to use the subarms for more efficient murder.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Microcline posted:

No one ever doubted the series' willingness to repaint cockpits with jets of anime blood. The problem is every arc ending with unfitting, unambiguous happy endings.

Merribit: You're outnumbered 10-to-1, you have to retreat. Think of the children!
Orga: That would be an insult to our dead comrades.* Deploy the toddler division.
And then everything works out anyway

*I can't even remember who's died in Tekkadan apart from Biscuit and those nameless redshirts from the space pirate filler arc

I'd say the Dort arc ended on a bit of a bummer. Tekkadan got out alive, and Kudelia managed to get a message out, but Fumitan bought it, the revolution ended with the slaughter of the Dort union and no changes, and later we'd find out Biscuit's brother committed suicide. Not exactly one for the scrapbook.

But more importantly, you're misreading Orga's lines in this one. Even ignoring that they were 'only' outnumbered 10-3, with friendly reinforcements known to be inbound, it wasn't about people who were already dead. It was

"We can minimize our losses by retreating now"

"But we'll still take losses. I'd rather lose a little more in exchange for a major win than let our people die for nothing."

Different argument.

Plus, fight's still going. We'll see how it works out soon enough. I mean, yeah, IBO's been a bit light on named fatalities, but it's a little early to say this season's keeping up the trend.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

AnoHito posted:

I think we all know who really leads Gjallarhorn now. Even if they don't realize it yet.

Eugene?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

AnoHito posted:

Looking at it, it's only really when compared to other Gundam series. When compared to your average anime, it sold above average, but Gundam is kind of supposed to be a big money franchise, so I guess maybe it's a bit of a disappointment? Either way, the series has/will almost certainly made money, just maybe not as much as they would like. Also note that I'm pretty sure there's no real way to check things like model sales (a pretty important aspect of a show like this) other than "some guys on the internet said X," which as we all know is just an infallible method of getting good intel :v:

If I understand correctly (which I might not), Gundam in general isn't that huge a DVD seller. It's a big deal as a series, but it's more steady than a chart topper for most of the individual entities.

I mean, Age and X wrapped up earlier than initially intended due to not getting good ratings. G-Reco only got 26 episodes. Seed made a ton of money, but apparently it was more an exception than the rule.

Iron Blooded Orphans getting a second season seems to be a vote of confidence, all in all.

And this latest episode delivered one of the best fight scenes in Gundam I can think of, so that paid off. It balanced the cast so that, while Mikazuki was just an endless storm of murder, everyone else got moments, there was push and pull between the two sides, even if the winner was never in doubt, you had considerations of strategy and ammunition rather than just spamming beams...

It pretty much felt like it laid down how larger combat works in the setting, while being interesting in its own right.

Just hope the show can keep up the momentum.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Raxivace posted:

2014 was a really weird year since you had a whopping three Gundam shows airing at once- Try, G-Reco, and Gundam-san.

That's right, I just reminded you all that Gundam-san exists.

As with all other mentions of Gundam-san, I will forget about it entirely within the fortnight.

It's interesting to have three shows at once, all flawed in such distinct ways. Like, if they all were the same kind of failure, well, makes sense. But as things stand, even though it's easy to find people who dislike all three, people don't generally dislike, say, G-Reco and Try on the same grounds.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

bman in 2288 posted:

I have never heard of Gundam-san, so when you said that, I thought you were being cheeky.

What the hell is a Gundam-san?

It's a series of weird three minute shorts where Char does stupid crap that's supposed to be funny, but isn't. But I think it's more a general Gundam thread discussion, really.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mordja posted:

I think the idea is that Iok is just a garbage-tier pilot. Julietta seemed less than thrilled that he was coming along last episode, and straight up told him that he was getting in the way in the current one.

"I'd be in more danger if I tried to dodge."

I liked how the fight in this episode shifted from being dramatic to being kind of a farce at the end. Julieta's being set up as Gjallahorn's answer to Mikazuki (she even used his armor ejection trick), which meant the fight stopped being about trying to survive and went to being a competition for points. Makes sense not to try to build the tension again when the two people supposedly at risk are high tier murder machines.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ka0 posted:

I finally get it. I'm watching scarface. Orga is Al Pacino.

Mikazuki is his balls.

"You need people like me. You need people like me so you can point your fuckin' fingers and say, "That's the bad guy." So... what that make you? Good? You're not good. You just know how to hide, how to lie. Me, I don't have that problem. Me, I always tell the truth." does seem appropriate to Mikazuki.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GimmickMan posted:

They're not even trying to pretend that these kids won't die horribly but I still feel for them. The cold blooded manipulation and casual disregard for their lives is a lot more effective than the cackling evil of the Brewers. These kids can't catch a break. :smith:

Also, the conversation about having someone to look up to (and the unspoken implication of what people think of that kind of relationship when both people are of different genders) makes me think the masked cyborg could be one of Carta's men instead of Gaelio. Probably not the case, but it gave me that vibe.

It gave me even more of a Gaelio vibe. The different genders thing is a factor, maybe, but a smaller one than that the one thing Julieta has is a superior she can respect. In other words, all she has is what Ein had. And Ein got hosed over, hard, with a large part of that on Gaelio, even if Gaelio was the one person trying to help him.

He's gotta be seeing this as a second chance. Which could go a lot of ways.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lestaki posted:

It's Gaelio, for pity's sake. Him reflecting on another character's confidently avowed 'pride' would be proof enough by itself after his characterization in season one. What interested me is that he wasn't as angry and obsessed with vengeance as I expected him to be. He mostly just sounded slightly amused and slightly sad while talking to Julieta.

Earth branch are dead as a dodo, but we knew that already. Rustal initially struck me as a bluff man of fundamental decency but it's clear he is as vicious a schemer as they come, which I suppose I should have anticipated. Julieta's trust in him will probably be betrayed before the end.

Makanai talking about how if you take the shortest possible path to your goals you will inevitably trip was a little on the nose.

Yeah, if it wasn't for the bit with Gaelio, I'd assume that Julieta was definitely doomed. She's the loyal subordinate who doesn't get why the boss is working with shady characters, and that's not a career with much future in it, no matter how much poo poo you wreck in combat. But with Gaelio in the wings, she might have a chance, if he's willing to put anything on the line to prevent seeing another Ein situation. Curious how it'll all play out.

As for Earth Branch, they're going to get cheesed, but I wouldn't be surprised if Takaki gets out alive. He's got the death flag version of three stooges syndrome. There are so many reasons he's going to die that none of them can predominate enough to actually kill him.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

A bit off topic, but has anyone actually kept up with the tie-in manga beyond the first chapter?

What I read of it kinda sucked, but I'm curious if it picked up at all or if it's as skippable as it looked.

(It is mildly amusing how Tekkadan, the scrappy underdogs who had to steal everything they had, still managed to accomplish much more than a mob with a seven star family attached in Steel Moon, but that tends to be the curse of side story characters anyway. Not much point in dwelling on it.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Remember that Takaki deeply respects Galan. If he takes a shot for him (or if Aston does), then that's the alliance over and done with.

I'd say Aston's the bigger risk in some ways.

He's Akihiro's little brother now, more or less. Mika, Orga, even Eugene, they're reasonably perceptive fuckers, and might spot a screwjob. Akihiro's more straightforward. If he's lost family again, he's not going to take a wider prospective, and that'a a problem.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

muike posted:

That traitor dude in Tekkadan is gonna be hosed if the Jovian mob finds out about it.

That requires him to live past Mikazuki finding out about it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kanos posted:

Yeah, I'm surprised at him, to be honest. It's one thing to disdain working for a bunch of kids that you think you can run circles around(even if they're terrifyingly competent child soldiers), it's another thing to actively sell out a gigantic mafia syndicate that will likely loving murder you for your betrayal because of that disdain.

Well, remember who he's selling out to. Rustal's scum, but he's scum in very high places. This goes off the way he wants, he's going to be the most powerful man in the solar system, and it's easy to think that, if you set up a guy's big power play, he'll protect you when the storm comes in.

Not a smart thing to think, a lot of the time, and when this falls apart at all, he's going to be a very disposable pawn caught between at least three of the most vindictive power players in the current game, and treason doth never prosper (what's the reason? For if it prosper, none dare call it treason), but I can see why he'd think it could work.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Argas posted:

I'm not entirely sure what Rustal and Galan's plan is either. I mean, the part where they keep McGillis from winning and thus hurting his rep is clear but that can't be all there is to it, or they're incredibly stupid to think Mars Tekkadan won't insert themselves into this. Sure, Mikazuki is the smash first, ask questions later sort of person but they can't seriously expect nobody to find out any of their set up, can they? The fact that McGillis is there on behalf of the SAU means that whatever short-term damage there is to their relationship, he'll do his darndest to patch up their relationship because he's worked so hard to get them on his side in the first place.

Well, I think it's pretty clear that just starting a war between the SAU and Arbrau is one of the goals. Remind the power blocks they need Gjallarhorn there to keep them from screwing up again, bloody some noses, make McGillis look bad for later plays. Bloodying Tekkadan is a side benefit. It's pretty clear that Rustal and Galan, while running a good game, still have Tekkadan listed as pretty minor pieces.

It's been a constant advantage of Tekkadan's, really. Everybody but McGillis has underestimated them, and the insider intel's actually helping them here. Radice doesn't think much of Tekkadan, and that's leaking into his assessments. They're a bunch of attack dogs, hardly people. Easy to control once you get the leash, and not really a major problem. (Forgetting, or not having heard, that the organization was founded when people shoved third division too hard, and they got shoved back.)

So, yeah. Rustal wants to hurt them, and hurt their bond with house Fareed, but it only matters as much as it costs McGillis rep and resources. The fact he might still have some mercs after isn't ideal, but it's perfectly acceptable.

Figure this is much more an opening move than a masterstroke.

But yeah. McGillis is going to try to keep Tekkadan, I think, even if the relationship gets hosed up. Because McGillis is one of those rare rat-bastards who can see someone acting protagonical and go "Okay, yes. I need that on my side."

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Argas posted:

Tekkadan would just leave him as a red smear. I'd want to see what happens if Teiwaz gets their hands on him. Bad enough that he's selling out Teiwaz' interests but he's also ruining the relationship between Teiwaz and one of their most valuable branches.

At the moment, I'd say Tekkadan is one of the most promising, more than one of the most valuable.

They hit very hard for their weight class, and they have half metal on Mars, which is booming, but they're not the guys who can mass produce mobile suits (minus ahab reactors) or the people running the shipping lanes. They've just been promoted to the inner circle, after all.

On another note entirely, there's something interesting from the instructions for the Geirail. Apparently, if it's not translated wrong, Galan Mossa was a 'Horn proper, but he went mercenary a couple years bag. Probably so his old buddy Lord Elion could have a nice deniable operative in place for when he needed a degree of remove.

Depending on the exact timing, that could even be right after Tekkadan proved that Gjallarhorn wasn't invincible.

Explains a lot, the way I see things.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Oh Snapple! posted:

I also imagine it got around to them that McGillis made a very legitimate attempt to talk to them before poo poo went down like it did.

He also wasn't going for immediate killshots. Lots of stabbing around the cockpit, removing arms, and otherwise disabling over killing.

He and Mika continue to be basically opposites, despite being on the same side almost every time they've scrapped. It's interesting.

Also, I would like to point out that Takaki has surpassed the current world record for death flags survived. Congratulations, Takaki. At this point, I'm pretty sure you can safely set up your retirement, name your mobile worker the Live4Ever, and marry Yoko Littner, because gently caress knows if that would be enough to take you down. I'm not complaining, but man. Kid's ridiculous.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

Remember, Aston and his crew were actively killing Tekkadan before they were defeated and recruited. Same with the Turbines. Loyalties shift. Anyone in the merc game knows this.

Don't even have to go that far in their careers. Orga's first day had him giving a job offer and severance pay to people just after he murdered their boss and stole the company.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well he did not murder the boss. Just the guy in charge of the first division. (And it was Mika who did so.)

As far as anyone knew, the boss was gone with the cash, so the first division head promoted himself. It was part of why Orga decided enough was enough, starting his non-stop doubling down that's continued to this day. Old boss was awful, but he cared enough about getting ROI that he'd try to keep enough of 3rd division alive to save on training expenses for the next batch. Haeda Gunnel didn't even have that distinction.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ka0 posted:

I hope space Guts and Lafter get it on, before either of them inevitably gets it.

The naive and idealistic kid with an adorable younger sister just survived hoisting every death flag he could carry full mast, and the villainous mercenary with a complicated past and a knack for knowing exit strategies just bought it in his third episode. I've given up on guessing who's dying when on Iron Blooded Orphans, beyond a growing suspicion that Takaki is immortal.

Really, though, I can't agree. Akihiro and Lafter have much better chemistry, and Mika's got enough going on between Atra and Kudelia. Let the poor ex-human debris have a break for once, huh?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I don't think McGillis is planning to gently caress over Tekkadan.

Yet.

His respect for Mika seems legitimate, he knows they're capable, and (importantly) he knows what levers to pull with them to get results. They're useful, and probably would stay useful in future dealings. That said, he's the sort who would gently caress them over without a second's hesitation if he needed it to complete a plan, and he's tossing them into the shark tank even without malice.

That's the really dangerous thing about him. A friend's good. You've got someone at your back, and that means less disaster down the line. Enemy's not good, but it's still something you know how to work with, once you're sure they are your enemies.

McGillis? There's no right answer with someone like him, except avoiding his attention entirely. And it's a bit late in the day to accomplish that goal.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

paragon1 posted:

Don't get me wrong though! I'm not saying Orga and Tekkadan in general haven't made bad choices. They let Space Hitler live after all.

Who provided a useful point of contact with McGillis, who helped out in a big way up to this point.

Killing Space Hitler: Surprisingly, not always the correct call!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Something that's kind of been put to the side given McGillis being creepy and all the SHOCKING REVELATIONS this episode?

Man, Akihiro's had some character growth. Look at him talk with Ride, and then compare it with where he was at in episode one. Mr. "I am human debris, and therefore am not allowed free will or happiness" is now going out and telling Ride to come on in and eat with everyone else. He's willing to get attached to people, despite his losses, and he even loving smiles. Hard to imagine him doing that early season one.

Not that I'm surprised it's gotten mostly ignored because, holy poo poo, everyone gets scenes this episode. Some more than others, but there's at least a small character beat for the overwhelming majority of the cast, including the most Chad's ever gotten to do and a pretty decent action scene. All without being confusing or stopping the plot dead in its tracks.

We're about a third of the way into the second season, and things are looking pretty good. I mean, wheels could come off at any time, but right now IBO season 2 is looking confident.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

lol

No, Japan and most writers of Japanese fiction aren't cool with grown men seducing nine-year-olds either. This was supposed to be seriously uncomfortable- IBO is all about the horror of children being exploited by cynical adults, so to remind us that McGillis is a seriously bad person, they had him cynically exploit a child in the most direct and creepy way possible.

Yeah. I'd feel more ill at ease if we hadn't just had Galan showing off how good the writers are at "You know how we said this bad person is charismatic and likable when he wants to be, despite not caring for any of the people he's exploiting? We can actually do that."

I'm pretty sure this is something we're supposed to be skeeved by.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Someone try to fit the subtext/plaintext of the show about faustian deals with the devil, piloting machines with demon names and then suddenly finding out that the calamity war was against AI piloted MAs with angelic names.

There is something out there, coming for us, trying to kill us all-- And I would do to it what it would do to us. Brothers. Sisters. All the angels have fallen, and we devils are all that remains.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ka0 posted:

I like the Flauros but that color scheme has to go.

You just don't properly appreciate the glory of the Ryusei-Go.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Nah, it's actually pretty standard for modern Gundam suits to be strong against both in some fashion. 00 obviously has GN particle stuff that allowed both physical and beam resistance (especially with actual particle fields), Gundam Wing's Gundanium Alloy heavily resists all damage, and Gundam Age's bullshit armor requires you to make laser beams that are also drills to damage it. G-Self naturally has Photon Armor which is insane bullshit only matched by everything else having insane bullshit and Turn-A is nanomachine superarmor.

(It's also hard to judge the relative strength of armor considering every Gundam series has its own base power level. IBO is on the low-end of things so it's hard to tell how it'd stand up to ridiculous insane bullshit like GN Weaponry.)

IBO being on the low end of the spectrum is its strength though. Regular explosives and magical space katanas are significant weapons and that's cool.

I admit there has been a wide variety of beam based bullshit across Gundam serieses, but from what we've got... I'd say Nano-Laminate is on the high end.

Mostly, beam protection equipment goes on the high end suits, wears out under sustained or heavy fire, doesn't defend against physical attacks, or some combination of the three. A grunt suit with it managed to tank a sustained blast from the main cannon of a city destroying superweapon, and the only damage was losing a hand. And it only lost the hand because it cooked the rifle's ammo. It's not the absolute bullshit of the G-Self or the Turns, and it's not the confusing nonsense of Age's drill... thingy, but it's pretty solid, in addition to being balanced so as to keep the fights nice and brutal.

The area where this really makes Post Disaster poo poo over other timelines, though, is battleships. We already knew that their armor is tougher than a MS, and that in the hands of an expert pilot like Eugene they could be fairly maneuverable, but with this little bit of information, we know that the Isaribi, for example, could just ignore the main cannons of a ship like the Archangel and ram the sucker.

Really emphasizes the bit about how the best way to take on a battleship is boarding actions, I suppose.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

As written, Nanolaminate also wears out under extended fire. We haven't really seen it but reapplying the nanolaminate covering is part of the maintenance.

We've seen it mentioned as part of the process several times when Mika or someone else has to bring their suits to Yamagi and Nadi for repairs. We also saw McGillis doing some serious damage to Mika's boosters in the first season with that little trick.

But that's sustained fire from physical weapons. It seems, from the way it was deflected, that the rules might be different for beams. Especially because most of the visible damage came from the ammo in Ride's rifle cooking in his hand. (Which, neat! Nice little detail.)

Anyway, the only place it's going to actually be relevant how beams from other continuities interact with IBO suits is Super Robot Wars, and that plays by its own rules. Best not to worry about it too much beyond the fact that fights are going to stay up close and personal for the foreseeable future.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Counterpoint: the Mobile Armor reacting to Ahab Reactors is not something unknown, McGillis knew it - we can assume that it is known to the higher strata of Gyallarhorn, or at the very least to the Seven Stars. There is no reason for Iok not to know this beyond being an absolute idiot, which is exactly what the series constantly paints him as.

He acted without basic knowledge, close to a super weapon he didn't know how it could react, without any sort of precautions. Despite the knowledge he needed being something that McGillis knew and that I strongly suspect Gaevidar and Rustal should know as well.

I smell foul play but not from McGillis (I mean, definitely from McGillis, but not only from him this time). Someone kept this knowledge away from Iok for some reason.

I'm leaning Rustal right now, with allowances for the possibility Gali-Gali was in on it too. Rustal's playing the same games as McGillis, after all. If he lets Iok go down and die, it removes a troublesome element, looks bad for McGillis even aside from direct damage, and maybe even provides casus belli for going after the Outer Earth Orbit Regulatory Joint Fleet (persistent and fortitudinous!) without bothering with deniability.

I've said it before, but (although it could all fall apart) Iron Blooded Orphans has done a pretty good job of showing clever bastards screwing each other over without going for the stupid cliches common to the format. McGillis and Rustal are both clever, but they make mistakes and adapt to new opportunities as they arise rather than going from the same playbook no matter what happens.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Dec 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

Given that Iok seems somewhere between 17 and 20 (I don't recall, was a specific age given?), he probably should have known this, if it is generally known among the Seven Stars families at least, well before Gali-Gali popped up there. Possibly before he became Rustal's protege as well, though the timeframe becomes somewhat more unclear there. Honestly, given how absurdly unlikely finding a Mobile Armor to enact this theoretical scheme involving withholding that information in the first place would be, I'm generally on the side of it's simply due to him being a loving idiot, again, rather than any grand scheme by the others.

I'm not thinking it's a long term plan. I'm thinking that it's playing the cards as they come off the deck. Rustal's worked with Iok for years, he knows the guy's a loving idiot and he knows from the start of this little mess that he doesn't know anything about Mobile Armor, despite that being basic enough knowledge that uplifted street rat Julieta considers it astounding Iok doesn't get it.

Either Rustal went in assuming "Alright, Iok's a dumbass, but even he can't be so stupid as to wake up a Mobile Armor, so it's fine if he heads off." and is now regretting it, or he went "Right. Iok's a dumbass, so he's going to ruin whatever McGillis is planning through sheer force of stupid, and we can take out one Mobile Armor, right?" and is now spindling his fingers.

But, as I said, this could be Vidar's play too. There's just the smell of some plotting that isn't coming from McGillis.

• Locked thread