Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Off to a decent if a bit of a rushed start. At the very least, it seems to match the kind of tone the first season had so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Is that manga any good?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'm thinking of picking up IBO, haven't watched Gundam in ages. What's good about this one?
They go to Mars but it's not stupid this time.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Srice posted:

It has a strong start, but then it meanders for awhile and the villains suck. I'm waiting on season 2 to finish before watching more and I feel like if you haven't seen anything Gundam in awhile your best bet would be to check out other things you missed (personally I say G-Reco, which I feel is a stronger show than IBO by every metric) while waiting to see if IBO season 2 screws the pooch or not.
Also while I don't like G-Reco as much as Srice or Imp I largely agree with them here.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

If the second Masked Man is Gali Gali, how in the hell did McGillis botch up killing him so badly?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It sure sounded like Gali-Gali fillertext filltertext fillertext to me.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I hope the show ends with Mika giving up piloting the Gundam to embrace farming. He'd be like the William Munny of his era.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

A detail that the first episode of the season mentioned was that Tekkadan's success has actually inspired others to start deploying more child soldiers. Hopefully, Orga will have to eventually face the fact that his actions have had incredibly hosed up consequences such as this. Biscuit's death was sad, but there are many Biscuits out there now who will die.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Do we have any confirmation that Season 2 is the end of IBO? Perhaps we'll get the mythical third season of a Gundam show after this...

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

2014 was a really weird year since you had a whopping three Gundam shows airing at once- Try, G-Reco, and Gundam-san.

That's right, I just reminded you all that Gundam-san exists.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Raxivace posted:

A detail that the first episode of the season mentioned was that Tekkadan's success has actually inspired others to start deploying more child soldiers. Hopefully, Orga will have to eventually face the fact that his actions have had incredibly hosed up consequences such as this. Biscuit's death was sad, but there are many Biscuits out there now who will die.

Apparently this episode confirmed that I have secretly been Kudelia this whole time, without even realizing it myself. I guess I better get some poofy hair and start teaching goons how to read and write.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

We're all in agreement that at some point this season Tekkadan are going to get collectively slaughtered down to a small group of the main cast by their own hubris, right?
I think it kind of has to eventually, or some kind of equivalent fall from grace for Tekkadan should. Maybe they'll just become a part of some new corrupt, exploitative world government or something. Who knows for sure.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Looks like Metal Gear RAY to me.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I hope there's less incest than in Scarface (Both versions).

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I thought that person meant the Naoki Urusawa Monster. And even if they didn't you should watch it anyways.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

While creeper McGillis was a good reminder about who he really is, let's not forget that this is in the same episode where IBO tries to make us think that Naze's harem is actually a good thing. I'm not sure the contrast is completely intentional, but that scene didn't play well for me and came off as really handwavy about Naze's character.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

Wow, geez, I stuck my head outside this thread for a bit, and while the greater internet is always lined with dumb/weird opinions, this episode has brought it allllll crawling out. :barf:
You can't drop a post like this and not tell us more.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

Let's just say that a lot of dudes don't see what's wrong with McGillis's scene with Almiria and leave it at that.
Oh jesus. Yeah let's just leave it there.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Like even if I'm being exceedingly generous to the people not getting it, I'd have to presume they're just really loving stupid and/or very naive.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Out of curiosity, is there anyone who still thinks this season isn't going to end with Tekkadan getting its poo poo kicked in and an obscene amount of deaths?
I'm more certain of it now at least than I was like...I dunno, five or six episodes ago. Then again we kept saying that it would happen in season 1 as well.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Nov 29, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

This whole time I thought IBO was MGSV, but after these Mobile Armor episodes it turns out it was secretly Peace Walker.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

VolticSurge posted:

So, I gave up on watching the second season after a friend of mine told me it has the same flaws as S1-Naze being treated as the Second loving Coming,the villains being lovely and unthreatening while the "heroes" barely break a sweat,etc. But,I've been thinking lately-should I give it a shot,or was my friend right?
It still has that issue with Naze but he seems to be in it less at least. I dunno that the villains are more threatening than they were in season 1 necessarily but they're more interesting now as characters IMO.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

What if the final boss is...Mika himself!!!!??????!!!!!?????

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It looks half Gundam, half mole person.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Tae posted:

Doesn't rule out a 3rd season if goddamn Code Geass is getting a 3rd season

literally anything is possible after that announcement
I don't think Code Geass was that unlikely. The show itself was incredibly popular, it's old enough to be "nostalgic" for some people now I guess, it had that Akito OVA that kept the franchise alive for several years, there's always been rumors of movies etc.

The king of unlikely third seasons is still Twin Peaks. Literally 25+ years between seasons 2 and 3.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

I hope that Mika launches in the Lupus Rex and discovers that Lafter's death has changed him and adopts a completely non-lethal fighting style.
I learned by watching House that its never Lupus that kills people so this makes sense.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I kind of hope they never come out and say what Vidar's deal is so we can at least pretend it's a little ambiguous.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

Well, uh, that explains a lot of McGillis' hatred.
That's putting it lightly. :stare:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think it would be hilarious if IBO debuts in the same SRW as G-Reco.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

Mask: My people were EATEN!
Mika: Huh. Did they taste good?
:allears:

Monaghan posted:

You know I just realised that this is probably the only sunrise show in which I enjoyed the second season more than the first.
I've been kind of feeling that way too, though I wonder how much of that, for me at least, is because we're finally getting some of the payoffs, plot developments, characterization etc. that I thought we would be getting at the end of season 1.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

Mika in particular was basically just the villain's big scary attack dog.
It makes a nice double pun on Lupus Rex being both a kingly reference and, well, a reference to dogs.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

AradoBalanga posted:

Meanwhile, in another timeline...

I don't want to know what happened to Baby Mario. :smith:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Another good episode. Hearing McGillis get called "Macky" again just really drove home how hosed up that whole situation is.

Shinjobi posted:

And I might be mis-remembering Glemy, because I could have sworn he was kind of a joke for the majority of the first half of ZZ.
No he was basically a joke in that first half of ZZ, though I think he tried to kill Beecha at one point so that gives his character a kind of heroic aspect that doesn't get talked about much.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Episode was good but it reminded me of how every non-Mika pilot in Tekkadan is basically interchangeable to me at this point.

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

Julietta is literally Quess :laugh:
I find Julietta is much easier to accept as a character than Quess ever was.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

BizarroAzrael posted:

Yay though! I really like the Julietta and Gaelio characters now. And they get the coolest MSes.
I was legit bummed for a moment when I thought Julietta had died. Both her and Gaelio have been highlights of season 2 to me.

And yeah their robots own too.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

genericnick posted:

He is running after a childish fantasy.
It's interesting that McGillis has just enough swagger to tempt people like Orga with similarly foolhardy fantasies ("The King of Mars"), but he still ends up blinded by his own self-mythologizing.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The Gundam preventing Mika from going to hug Kudelia was a nice touch.

Some nice shots of people being dwarfed/isolated by their surroundings this week too. Seems appropriate:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I straight up thought Atra was like 10 in season 1. It's less weird in season 2 where they're a little more clear about how old she's supposed to be but its still weird.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The King of Mars is dead, long live the King of Mars!

:smith:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

There's a nice bit of irony in that Orga, a dude known for winning battles with these insanely convoluted and desperate plans, is ultimately taken out by a basic drive-by shooting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

OTOH McGillis wanting to be best buds with Mika just to make Gaelio jealous would be funny.

• Locked thread