Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Acacia REI posted:

That's why I enjoyed episode 2 so much with The Kingdom. I even liked last week's episode with Tara because at least Tara's still quirky and fun.

I don't need the whole show to be like that, which is what people seem to assume anytime I bring it up in discussions elsewhere, but having everything be so grim all the time just gets old. I like having breaks from that.

Tara being quirky and fun makes me happy because not only is it refreshing, it is generally how people function- personality is behavior trends over a long period of time, and so often fiction gives into sudden personality changes like it is something that happens all the loving time. I like that she gets sad but is still capable of being happy. She may have been a little too quirky in the face of being shot to death, but I'm fine writing it off as a defense mechanism.

This whole season feels disjointed, like I've watched six pilot episodes for shows set in the Walking Dead universe. Kingdom of the Walking Dead, Monsters of the Walking Dead, Sad Town of Sad People of the Walking Dead, and now MRA Nightmare of the Walking Dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Acacia REI posted:

That too. I actually just really like the way she's written in general. She just seems more relatable to me than most of the characters. Morgan and Tara are probably my favorite characters in the show. I mean Morgan's little "All life is precious - including the homicidal psychopaths who just slaughtered half of our settlement and are actively trying to murder the rest" arc was a little off-putting, but I knew it wouldn't last long and in context of everything he'd been through up to that point, it didn't really bother me that much.

Absolutes like "All Life is Precious" are probably more appealing to someone going through an absolute breakdown. The fact it is a world defined by death not just being inevitable, but also aggressively opposed to life can't hurt it either.

Morgan failed to understand that there was a fundamental difference between him and The Wolf, that The Wolf wasn't crazy. He chose to be a piece of poo poo.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I wonder what Eugene's forum account was.

We're all Eugene.

some guy on the bus posted:

So Westworld is a good show, right? Are we like the people that were watching Dexter's final season instead of Breaking Bad?

Oh gently caress, Westworld isn't on at 10? poo poo.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

54 40 or gently caress posted:

I'm so checked out from this show. I don't even like watching it, but I do because I watch it with my dad

Same, I'm only watching it for some brief conversion fodder with my parents and because I'm a sucker with hope.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Carl and age progression int he comics only supports his behavior in the source material, when adapting it for TV you have to figure out how to roll with the fact that puberty can hit any time. I don't think Carl is 11 in the show, or that they are realistically trying to present him as an 11 year old.

Blazing Ownager posted:

I love how it hasn't occurred to Eugene to just make loving bullets for Negan's band. Bam. Instant cred with their group, nobody has to scavenge anymore since I'm sure Negan would be happy to take payment in clips, and he gets what he wants. I'd understand if he was opposed to placating them but it's the reverse of that.

This would be so loving bitter to swallow, and in my opinion would be a good twist if not for the death of Abraham. Eugene started out as the type of gently caress who would sell out, but after coming clean and being accepted by Abraham and watching him die by Negan I wouldn't buy Eugene supporting them. My big fear is that they will have him do it and then he will say it is to protect Rosita, his waifu.

spudsbuckley posted:

I like that Negan keeps expressing the fact that he is in fact impressed with peoples feistiness.

Negan, even as an evil gently caress, sees beauty in the world. Westworld crossover?

“Some people choose to see the ugliness in this world, the disarray. I choose to see the Beauty.”

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I imagine that the Saviors who voted for Negan liked that he was an outsider who "spoke his mind" and wasn't afraid to be politically incorrect.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

That was awesome, if not predictable. I'm sorry but something about Negan's voice and the way he leans back when being an rear end in a top hat is watchable.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Have these people not seen the last Hunger Games movie?

Just rip the fucker apart.

Like, Rick, your people obviously don't want to be slaves- even if its stupid to attack them, this isn't working.

EDIT: Did Negan shave?

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Whoever called the Breaking Bad ending for Eugene was brilliant.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Tenzarin posted:

Its like someone read the comic.

I was under the impression that is not how the comic went.

Also good job Rick realizing that you won't be happy unless you fight back after giving up basically every loving chance of fighting back.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

bobjr posted:

So does anyone else in the big group care about Carol and Morgan? I don't think they've been mentioned once.

No one really liked them aside from the extras who did community activities with Carol who haven't been seen since they forgot about everyone other than the main cast.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Did Rick care about the fat woman that much?

What changed?

I think he realized that just going along with it is not working.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

They weren't really going along with it. Carl and Rosita both tried to kill Negan.

Yeah, like, they could not have been less unified. Like no one agreed about going along with Negan or fighting back, so everyone just hosed up (also plot armor did this).

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Pillowpants posted:

4 if you include the all women group.

AKA the only group with assault weapons.

Looking at how Negan is treating the group compared to say, killing all the men, he seems to be having trouble finding a balance between guy who they will fight back against and guy who is too big a oval office not to rebel against.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Caper posted:

I loved the scene where everyone reunites at the Hilltop and stands around smiling like for several minutes. It was hilariously overdone and completely clashed with the tone of the rest of the episode

It reminded me a lot of Neon Genesis Evangelion.

I'm watching Fear the Walking Dead now because I'm a tool, and to prepare myself for the inevitable crossover when ratings dip.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Lycus posted:

So, can you actually glance at a spent casing and tell the difference between a professionally made bullet and a home made one?

I am of the assumption that due to the world, everyone has seen more than enough ammo to spot some ghetto poo poo.

It would have helped if they made it noticeably ghetto or if Negan had a reason to be so suspicious of a bullet.

They are bound to find more guns.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

coyo7e posted:

My brother and his friends reload a lot of their ammo, and I've used it - you can notice clamp marks, the brass gets thinner, the primer charge won't look factory-standard, etc

Does your brother or his friends have mullets, y/n?

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Blazing Ownager posted:

Todd and his gang remains creepier and slimier than anything Negan has to offer

Opie, dead-eyed piece of poo poo beats cocky wise cracking rear end in a top hat any day.

Arrr Im a Pirate posted:

What is Negan's problem? Why does he kill people that pose no threat to him and let the ones who try to kill him keep living? How is this a good idea?

The only explanation I've found that keeps the series watchable is that Negan wants to die. He has ran out the thrill of women and murder, he desperately wants to see someone have the guts and capability to kill him.

This is all the Governor's fault because he was awesome and died before the creator was ready so Negan is kept stupidly safe to not make the same mistake, the key difference being the Governor wasn't stupid enough to be a total oval office.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Yeah I feel like the people saying he was "awesome" need to go back and rewatch those seasons. He seems maybe not so bad in hindsight compared to Negan, but almost everything about him was ridiculously cartoony from his fish tank head wall to killing his people for no reason to wanting to move into a prison when his town was pretty well-off already. As silly+contrived as Negan's plan to get Rick's RV where they wanted and the whistling thing was last season, the Governor seasons had even more ridiculous scenes like him being able to track Andrea down in a truck, Andrea outrunning said truck, etc.

Okay, thinking back I really only like his redemption arc because if you forget the specifics and just remember "he was a dick who hated Rick" then he works out okay- but yeah the entire time in Woodburry is pretty stupid.

This is what happens in a society where leadership is chosen not on being able to lead well but on being the most murderhobo.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Does Rick really offer anything of much note anymore? He did poo poo to keep morale up and lead to their current situation- like gently caress, The Kingdom has some pretty drat good fighters.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Lycus posted:

Glenn Rhee and Oberyn Martell attest: always wear your helmet.

Thank you so much for this/

I think that Negan killed Spencer for being fake, a sneak, and while Rick wants to kill him he was pretty honest about it.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Fitzy Fitz posted:

This was actually only 7 weeks ago in the show's timeline.

I was fine with this, having newly turned zombies be more intelligent- but they stopped doing that for some reason, past the first season even newly turned zombies with fresh bodies are sluggish and slow.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Man, Negan has really brought my family together this holiday season. Whenever my mother or father asks me to do something, or interacts with me, we just lean back and smile.

"Well holy poo poo Mom, I've never been so embarrassed in my whole life. Blah blah blah blah."

Smile.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

coyo7e posted:

I would love to see some huge locust plague episode - everybody's running around screaming and trying to protect the foodstuffs, and Eugene's just standing there unmoving, chomping on bugs and saying, "hey come on guys - it's protein! I haven't eaten like this since I was with the Saviors - these are just flying mini-lobsters!"

Truly we finally have a Goon presence in television.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

You know one thing that interests me is that Negan's carrot strategy is way more effective than the stick.

Old Doggy Bastard fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Mar 2, 2017

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

I think the bigger threat from zombies would be people saying, "zombie apocalypse, woo!!" and deciding that society was over.

This is really it, the zombie apocalypse in my opinion could end the world (or not) due to three things.

1. The institutions that keep water, food, and the peace stable all having to try and fix things at the same time.

2. Mass hysteria on the part of people, which causes us to go to the supermarkets or loot and not only make exposure easier but also make the police and army's work harder.

3. The dead loving coming back to life is such a perversion of the natural order that people are going to be freaking out and adapting to a Walking Dead style "every death is a zombie" will be culturally hard to accept.

4. People who prepare for the world ending are just itching for the world to end, and they are far more dangerous than any zombie.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I'm catching up now but Morgan's arc was a really good Christian allegory, about the innocence of the people in the Kingdom, the people who are actually doing what it takes to keep them in their blissful ignorance, and how after accepting the inevitability of murder to defend that ignorance how Morgan (like Carol) could not enter the Kingdom (of God).

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I'm on episode two, so count down to Strand (the best character who somehow is a magic doctor) being exiled into the main plot.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

moist turtleneck posted:

I thought in that episode he says that he's winging it?

I suppose, but someone outside the gate goes "I KNOW YOU HAVE A DOCTOR" but that could just be a rumor because some American is digging around people pulling out bullets (which is actually the worst thing you can do to my knowledge) so I'll accept it.

There are too many dumb things in this show for that to be what bothers me.

EDIT: Though this show has gained a lot of points with me for the "Everything Sucks in Mexico" episode with the cactus vomit and the wild dog attack.

Old Doggy Bastard fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jun 13, 2017

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

moist turtleneck posted:

The doctor was in season 2, Travis smashed his head like a watermelon

Does anyone have any TRAVIS RAGE gifs?

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

moist turtleneck posted:

It really felt weird that they make such a big deal about Travis being a Maori

Do you think they'd do something with that if he didnt go to planet avatar

Probably not, but when it became clear that these guys were basically separating them on race I suppose he was just like "I'm a brown person of a flavor you haven't killed yet, won't that be neat?" but it was bad writing. It would have been worse and weird writing if after three seasons he got all religious and started going on about the Gods of his people and displayed sudden ethnic powers.

I'm sure a version of that exists on the cutting room floor.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Acacia REI posted:

And I like that they touch on themes/subjects I always wished they'd do in the main series or even at least the Tell Tale games. Like when they were on the boat for a while. Now we have ZA vs doomsday preppers.

Hey is Season 3 good?

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

moist turtleneck posted:

Season 3 has been fine compared to the Walking Dead slop this season

Most of the characters are still idiots but El Salvidad and Suave Black Man have been amazing

I meant the Tell Tale series.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Cactus posted:

I'm halfway through ep 3 right now and it's better than season 2 but not quite as good as season 1. It is very much worth picking up if you liked the others at all, and as has been stated already, the writing is leagues better than in the main show or comic.

I'm so sad its not on the Vita, all my choices gone. I'm sure there is someone online with a save editor or something to get the broadstrokes in there.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I'm catching up right now, but I'm amazed they basically had an entire episode in Spanish - I like that they've tried to contrast a very different geographic and demographic feel from the main series.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I came on rumors that a major character was finally going to die (not sure on the spoiler policy, been a while since posting) and was sorely let down that the mystery helicopter did not fly in and free Negan, his former Seal Team Six buddies rappelling down and bringing back the horrible CDC plot just to really drive this show home.

If I've gained nothing else form this show, me and my father now communicate 50% of the time with an intermittent pattern of Negan-y Rick expressions. The Walking Dead is about family.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Real talk, I like the Brian Phillips episode.

Gortarius posted:

It's only a fraction of the highlights. I couldn't even remember a lot of them, for example:

Negan's secret archers and the plot to infect the people living in the mansion that ultimately didn't really do anything.

Honestly that plot point gave me so much hope that the season would get better, just to let me down. The escalation of war leading to the invention of the game changing poo poo Covered Arrows 2.0 and ensuing arms race would have been cool.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

https://tv.avclub.com/rick-grimes-deserved-a-better-sendoff-than-the-walking-1830211946

I'm glad in a sea of bland paid advertising critics on Fake News Networks that some in the media are willing to give it to AMC's bad shows.

I'm just upset we never got to see a scene of that house meeting with Negan in the jail cell, or the horse whispering to Rick right before leaving "I am Negan".

Speaking of Negan, can anyone get me a gif of bitch Negan breaking down in jail? I'm really hoping that was a ploy to get something off Maggie or because he knew it was the only way The Widow would keep him alive.

Good allusion to Saddam though, I need to find a screen cap for who wore it best:

Old Doggy Bastard fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Nov 6, 2018

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Eugene now kind of looks like the Governor used to.

Gortarius posted:

Man...

Guys, remember in like season 3 or whatever when they first introduced Michonne and she ambushed Merle's goons by jumping down from a tree with a katana, then ran back into the bushes like an anime badass? Am I losing my mind or did that really happen?

Remember original Michonne who was nothing by a silent supernaturally gifted warrior that was emotionally distant and brooding? It prompted my favorite response from black reviewers on any television show ever:

"The world ends and white people still get all the dialogue."

precision posted:

What's the current frontrunner theory for how Michonne got that scar

Danai Gurira asked for some character development not tied to unlikable fucks such as Rick and the writers, hating all things holy, marked her to send a message to the rest of the cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I almost referenced the following scene from those two bad seasons of this bad show on the phone with my parent's internet service provider.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gRecNjQ6UM

Asked why my parents are getting charged $110 bucks a month for 25 Mbps when Verizon offers 100 Mbps for $40 and Comcast offers 1000 Mbps for $90. The woman was kind and shocked so I went into understanding mode (plus the issue is far from her fault and my friends work in customer service so being mad at them is terribad). While trying to pull up the account and see why the website won't show us other plans she remarked that the account may be unable to pull up that system because it's drawing from a plan so old the system isn't recognizing it.

The company, like all cable companies, is a lot like when Negan when he lords over broken spirit Rick.

"In case you haven’t caught on, I just slipped my dick down your throat, and you thanked me for it."