Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
An, um, interesting review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxgwpKHjFWU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I think Heath and Tara will return with the "something interesting" that Negan is demanding for his next visit.

I wonder what it's gonna be.

When an episode has a large Morse code poster in one of its first scenes, I feel compelled to try to translate all audio from the episode. Like Negan banging on the gate. I wonder if the crew slipped in some easter eggs.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
About the Telltale games, I must say that S2 was a huge improvement over S1. I loved the episode endings much more and the hooks had me binge the last few episodes. Getting captured at the ski lodge, escaping the store in guts, and the Russian standoff were each really awesome. Especially escaping the store. Plus I admire the risks the writers took: Like delivering no closure for Christa, the young teenager Sarah having a miserable painful blood-curling-screaming death (I saved her from the trailer just to have her get trapped under a collapsed balcony while Walkers reached her,) or having the player kill a dog within the first 10 minutes. S1 is good in its own way--I like the situations and choices Lee faces. Yet I think of it like a prequel, like the story getting up and stretching its legs, or a piano tuning before a performance.

I went and immediately bought S3, for $24.99, the most I've spent on a video game in seven years. I like S3 overall, the stuff that looks forward is exciting but the stuff that looks backwards is sort of jarring and off-putting.

About the comics: Be careful of spoilers in February. Two issues are being released, a major story line just ended as another major story line is about to begin. There's lots of a talk of a major character death incoming. There will be spoilers bouncing around.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
This episode was... eh, I dunno... casual? War is coming and episodes should have more urgency and weight behind them. Reducing Negan's screentime plays to that well. He's almost like Jaws now. A great monstrous threat somewhere out there, lurking, and it must be confronted.

I liked when Rick sniffed the spent bullet casing. I enjoy it when he brings police/detective work to the zombie apocalypse.

That CGI deer was so laughably awful, but Michonne cut off a lot of heads and each looked seamless and real.

The Heapsters are weird. They really need a scene like Ezekiel's talk with Carol. A humanizing admission of how one is managing in the new world.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

Guy Goodbody posted:

How loving stupid is it that this show doesn't even have recurring extras? If they're gonna be so gutless that they won't kill a single named character in the loving ten minute long season finale firefight, at least they should at least have established recurring extras so the audience can go, "oh no, they killed that guy who shows up in the background carrying lumber sometimes"

There's a couple that have been around the last few seasons. There's the bald guy that is Sasha's IRL husband, and the woman with short black hair. They fought in the finale and also made the trip to Oceanside, which I like because it makes the world feel real (at least a little bit) and that the story isn't just about Our Heroes. I fully expected the man to die since Sasha is now off the show. That he lived was, to me, the most surprising thing about the finale.

I don't have a problem with Sasha's flashbacks. She's been on the show over half its span, and it's acceptable to give her a proper sendoff. However, like another posted said, the "I had a dream..." plot device is one of the corniest, eyeroll-inducing things a TV show or film can have. What was also jarring were the scenes with Sasha and Maggie sitting in the field.

Overall, the finale was too predictable. Worse, it was paint-by-numbers. I binge watched the show during 6A*, and the battles at the farm and prison had more suspense even though I had a rough idea of which characters were still alive.

*Since I only got into TWD during late 2015, I still feel like a new fan. I understand many of you are frustrated. But I am still excited for new episodes and these characters. (Excited, but I'm not optimistic about how AMC will handle them).

I believe the show is too big for its britches. It has the suit and money problem. AMC sees it as its cash cow and it's just so painfully obvious that so many episodes and plots have the company suits sinking their claws in, saying how things should go. The narrative is always suffering because of polls, ratings, shareholders, and focus groups. The show is now all about playing it safe.

Speaking of safe, I liked during the flashback when Sasha said Maggie should take care of Maggie. It's refreshing to see a Good Guy not be a Good Guy for a moment. There's an old trope that goes "Good fiction is people misbehaving." Lately TWD has been lukewarm, bland, middle-of-the-road, right down to the monologues. It doesn't feel controversial, and it needs complexity. The finale had all the different communities firing madly in a fog and there wasn't a single friendly fire incident. Something like that could add some much needed depth.

The safe-ness is my main problem with the show. There's honestly not a single character or actor that I dislike. It's all the decision-makers, the higher-ups, the suits and money trying to force a product that appeals to all.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but was there really only one zombie in this entire episode?

On the Talking Dead, there was a little factoid pop-up stating this was the first episode to feature only one walker since the episode with Dale's death.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

Acacia REI posted:

Hey remember that really long image sequence parody of the "Sing Me A Song" episode someone made a while back? The one with the protractors on Negan? Did any more of those ever get made?

One or two people make a series for each episode on the wAlking Dead subreddit.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I don't believe Madison as some sort of military mastermind warlord, though I don't doubt her violence or ruthlessness, especially when it comes to her family. I see her as more of a diplomatic leader--sharp with people skills and an ability to talk with people. Her background as a guidance counselor and popular bartender lends itself to that. Something about her acting is irking me too, sometimes it's just her voice, I think it could be the dubbing. She was great in Treme and Deadwood. I want to enjoy this show, I want it to improve, but it's still a few good parts and a whole lot of question marks.

Glad I didn't know that Cliff Curtis signed on for four Avatar sequels. That would've told me what was coming. Just like it did when I read about Ms. S. M-Green signing on to the new Star Trek show between TWD seasons 6 and 7.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
FtWD's latest episode was probably its best one yet. I'm happy to see this episode getting such positive reviews. It really was praiseworthy.

I always loved Daniel's backstory. I remember being so surprised that the writers gave him that sort of story. It's not something that comes up much in American media, the CIA-trained American-taxpayer-funded death squads of South America. The coups, the CIA adventuring, the School of the Americas, the Chicago School of Economics. There were many killers that were rewarded for killing with a life in the USA, just like Daniel Salazar. They were even allowed to bomb their own and American citizens in Washington DC.

Perhaps a future storyline for FtWD will involve Daniel reaching out to one of his contacts in DC, or Georgia (location of the School of Americas). I imagine the characters will soon be heading north. I assume entire episodes in NOT ENGLISH?!?!?!?!?! can't be great for viewership.

Re: The bike playing AGUA AGUA. I think he did that to attract the dead, to have them form a barrier between himself and the gunmen in the truck, and to clog doorways and alleys to prevent a foot pursuit.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

Super Aggro Crag posted:

TWD is literally beating a dead horse.

TWD literally b eating a dead horse.

:)

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Wow, the final two episodes are both airing this Sunday. I wasn't aware they were doubling up (I avoid previews). Cool.

Not sure how these things work, I came to TWD later than most, but are we going to see a "new" character soon? The two women from the FtWD: Passage miniseries are in the area, I think. I only saw a handful of those episodes, and I can't recall any direct ties to the main Fear story, so if there are none, I believe this would be the first miniseries not to have any connections. Is it a guarantee that the two will link? Just wondering. I just hope it isn't as lovely and forced as that airplane crap.

I was with FtWD until the time-jump, which I believe was a colossal misstep. I'm glad the show bounced back. One thing I like about it is that it's hard to imagine what Fear will look like 2-3 episodes down the road. Who will be alive or dead, together or apart, allies or enemies, or where the characters will be.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I still feel like a "newer" fan. I binged the show around when S6 started and caught up during the Wolves' attack. I liked both parts of S6 but since then the show has clearly dropped in quality.

Now having Carl get bit is just so bad and dumb. He was the hope and future for the characters and for the narrative. I could admire his death if the show supported it, but it just feels hollow and gutless. Of course I will watch the back half of S8 but I am entirely faithless in the showrunners' ability to right this ship.

As the show has been getting increasingly muddled, more and more I've been considering S6E09--No Way Out--as the series finale. That episode was one of the best and it's a fine and fitting end to the story. Everything after I interpret as a sort of One Imagined Outcome...

The last couple dozen episodes are very sad in a Oh What Could Have Been way.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

Han Nehi posted:

So I’ve given up on this show but I have this season on DVR. Are there any good scenes I should watch before I erase it?

Morales' big return and his whole arc

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

Gortarius posted:

I wish they'd kept that crazy claimed guy around longer.

Shitenshi posted:

Word up to that poo poo. I remember some people were saying around the time that he was going to be this show's version of Negan, and he showed more menace in the what, four episodes he was in the show total? As opposed to some arrogant fuckwit who's been around for a season and a half now.

You guys should check out the Red Machete side story:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-svB5rNGqg

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I watch this show because I'm more of a fan of Rick, Morgan, Michonne, Carol and their actors than I am of The Walking Dead.

I never loved Carl, but I am just baffled and angry that they killed him off. For every good moment the show has (Negan appearing in that dream garden) there are ten insane and arbitrary decisions surrounding it.

ex post facho posted:

lol bright eyes at the bottom of everything to open the show is such a weird loving choice jesus christ

This really took me by surprise. I enjoyed it and began singing along, it fit with Carl's last day. I've been thinking on it and I'm wondering if we'll hear more Bright Eyes this season.

The song we heard was the first on the album "I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning" and I'm wondering if in the Season 8 Finale, we'll hear the last song from that album, "Road to Joy"

Some fitting lyrics for a war and its end:

quote:

The sun came up with no conclusion
Flowers sleeping in their beds
This city's cemetery's humming
I’m wide-awake, it’s morning

I read the body count out of the paper
And now it’s written all over my face
No one ever plans to sleep out in the gutter
Sometimes that’s just the most comfortable place

So I’m drinking, breathing, writing, singing
Everyday I'm on the clock
My mind races with all my longings
But can't keep up with what I got

I hope I don’t sound too ungrateful
What history gave modern man
A telephone to talk to strangers
Machine guns and a camera lens

So when you’re asked to fight a war that’s over nothing
It’s best to join the side that’s gonna win
And no one’s sure how all of this got started
But we’re gonna make them goddam certain how its gonna end
Oh ya we will, oh ya we will!

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I really liked this episode. The survivors were well prepared for walkers but they were outmaneuvered and caught off guard only because Whisperers are already on the scene, no? That also explains the final scene, the Savior jerk thought he saw a walker, saw a human, and got slashed.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

precision posted:

That's what I thought but the way it was done, they made it seem like he specifically recognized the person. So probably just poorly made.

It was a Whisperer wearing the skin of one of those disappeared AWOL Saviors.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

delfin posted:

A new first-run episode with one post, and that's in its last minute? Rack 'em. We're done here.

Which is weird because the show is good again.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
My hope for Rick's end is that he is injured or in a bad spot and gets picked up by the helicopter. As it's flying into the distance, the heli spins out and crashes (could be a nod to the infamous Dawn of the Dead original ending). The survivors watching this make it to the crash site but by that time, everyone is gone and the outcome doesn't look good. Ambiguous and dramatic.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I could complain for paragraphs, but I take no issue with the fake out. You hype an ending, you get ratings. You hype a return, you get ratings. Business-wise (ugh) it makes perfect sense for AMC (uuuuggghhhhhh) to package Rick's changes this way. It Could Have Been Handled Better, yes, but that's like a common theme throughout the entire franchise.

It's similar to how every single band in the universe at one point plays a farewell tour and then plays a comeback tour four years later.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I am 100% certain the first Rick film will have him in a parental sort of role over a young orphan or two. It's a reason why he couldn't search for his old family; he can't leave his new one.

Also, I just realized the connection between Anne and Gabriel. Both are in service of a higher power. A priest is obvious, but she was working for an advanced, helicopter-having organization.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
The show is better than it has been in a long time. I'm watching new episodes with apprehensive excitement rather than reluctance.

About the Next Big Thing that's gonna happen:

The head-pikes need to be translated for your average TV viewer. I've been keeping an eye on characters, especially secondary and tertiary ones, with distinctive and memorable faces/heads, because they're being propped up to be victims. Such as Jerry's wife Nabila with her hijab. Former saviors Laura with the neck tattoo, and the bearded guy DJ that accompanied Magna's group in 09x07. Brett Butler too. Kal, the guy that looks like Glenn. Possibly Henry's friend, the girl with the glasses and wavy hair that told Daryl about Henry's letter.

Someone in the love triangle will go. Probably not Siddiq because he's the doctor and it'd ruin Carl's sacrifice. But I hope it's not Gabriel or Rosita because I enjoy the characters and their actors.

At least one from Magna's group is pretty much a given. Possibly Kelly.

I hope they pull off the fake out with the silhouetted braids. There's a page in the comics where the survivors (and readers) aren't sure if it's Ezekiel or Michonne until a closer inspection. IIRC in the comic, they couldn't distinguish because the sun was in their eyes. The show could have a real tense moment when the pikes are discovered and there's one pike with a mask over the head, and there are a couple of braids sticking out the bottom.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
A new ad for FTWD S5 was released yesterday, and, uh, uhmmmmm,...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odYD04lHqNo

What is going on at AMC? How does this happen?

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
The new episode of Fear opens with Our Heroes almost kamikaze crashing into two children.

10/10

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
FTWD S5A SO BAD.

I skipped a couple episodes this season, something I haven't done since 2A. It's ugly, awkward, stupid through and through. From the heights of S3 to this is just depressing.

One thing irking me to the core is how Try Hard AMC is being with pushing the beer thing. People bought the TWD red wine because they enjoyed TWD. Nobody likes Fear, nobody wants its beer. Since S3, beer has had a more structured arc in Fear than all of its main characters.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I liked the episode very much. The visuals are so engaging compared to a couple years ago. Beta's horror movie scenes, Daryl's bloody POV. The tight editing. It makes me feel like how the characters might feel, it gives them space, it makes their world seemed lived in.

The writing and plotting could be better but there are still treats like seeing Alpha and Beta executing Whisperer tactics.

Sad to see Laura go. The character was interesting and the actress is super adorable.

The show has improved a lot and I think it's worth savoring. Look at FTWD* and realize TWD could've plummeted just the same.

*(actually, don't)

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
These first three 11B episodes were good. Seems like the show is back to at least S9 quality, its gotten out of that 10C/11A mudpit.

If anyone's looking for a good TWD youtube channel, I recommend https://www.youtube.com/c/predatoure

It's just a guy giving grounded opinions that I constantly agree with. When the show's good, it gets deserved praise, and when it's bad he shits all over it (and scott gimple).

I don't watch FearTWD anymore, I just watch these reviews, but if he says an episode is good (they rarely are anymore) I will go watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LZxelSc62Y

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
The premiere was kinda boring but E18 was good. Interesting deviation from the comics. And the preview for E19...just ridiculous that the zombies are changing now.

Looten Plunder posted:

Can someone catch me up on who the bald guy and the girl stalking Carol are? Who are they working for, what are their objectives and why is Carol and the kids scared of them?

They're Lance's goons. The woman is fake-Max that manipulated Glen last season.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
kinda lame that even in the penultimate episode the show is too scared to kill off any characters

hey, Enid is in this

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I liked the finale. Great acting, excellent music, dumb ugly explosion. Hearing Rick Grimes's voice had me cheesing so hard. The human and emotional moments were good, that was always what this show did best IMO and it's what originally resonated with me when I finally decided to watch during Season 6. In general I enjoy horror, zombies, action scenes, but I never watched TWD because it seemed so melodramatic. And oh it certainly is, but I really connected with the many scenes of one character looking another straight in the eye and plainly saying/explaining/reminding "Yes this entire world is stupid evil bullshit, but we have to keep going and trying."
The camaraderie in hell-on-earth just really clicked for me. It humbled me too--how I kept waiting for this Carol lady to die, especially now that they found her daughter and she has nothing to live for, gosh these TV writers are so transparent! When Daryl rescued her from the farm in the S2 finale was one of the first times I realized I was beginning to love the show. What a unique arc for Melissa McBride, how cool is that?

I've always had a soft spot for TWD because I binged during a real dark low point. It gave me stuff to feel when I wasn't feeling much of anything. Sometimes that's enough. I was always rooting for it to improve and make sense and be coherent and stop being fumbled by AMC Committee board meeting focus group tinkering. I was often let down but I never hate-watched.

I agree with the many people that say TWD is one of those shows that benefits from binge watching. A few months ago I rewatched S7-S9E5/Rick's departure, my first viewing since original airdates, and it does flow much better. I think I wouldn't have connected with TWD if I watched the early seasons as they aired. I'm thankful for my right-place right-time experience.

Later TWD will live in my same brain realm of later-season Game of Thrones or sequel trilogy Star Wars--can't stop wondering about what-ifs and what could have been.

I just hope AMC wises up. They need new writers and restructuring. I watched a few Tales episodes and they were same-y and bland. FtWD had an incredible S3 but it went so far downhill it's unwatchable, I quit years ago. World Beyond I quit after two episodes (I heard S2 is much better tho). I recommend the Telltale games, I'm not a huge gamer, especially single player, but I found them engaging, emotive, honestly amazing.

Other finale stuff I liked:
-Luke's death was kinda silly at first but the reactions of his group were really well done
-Judith getting secured in the hospital room like Rick
-the music. Bear McCreary showed up.
-the dinner scene, like how Rick imagined having one day
-closure of Gaberial's arc. He was willing to die to let innocents inside, compare that to his introduction.
-Negan's talk with Maggie. Maggie's talk with Negan. A+
-everything with Rosita
-I always wanted them to kill more characters but I'm glad they didn't here in the finale for Just Cuz and OMGOMG cheap shock reasons. The show found other ways to make this viewer emotional, like acting and dialogue, wow who knew.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
This is a mercy

‘Fear the Walking Dead’ to End With Season 8 at AMC

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/fear-the-walking-dead-final-season-8-amc-1235483687/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

Pillowpants posted:

Fear had a lot of potential, but no one was watching by S4 when it started getting better with mostly a whole new cast. season 8 was pretty terrible though. Very anti climactic.

Really? I thought everybody agreed Fear S3 was the best season by far. S4 has an awkward time skip and killed main characters. Then it went real downhill real fast. The new showrunners AMC hired were terrible, absolute garbage. They made D+D's final seasons GoT look like Shakespeare.