Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
Hey all, completely fresh newbie closing in on his first 50 mithril. Which banner is the best to pull under, assuming I don't care about specific FFs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."

Went with your advice because I had more FFXII characters due to the Reks event than any other game. Pulled Reks' Diamond Shield as my 5 star relic.

I have no idea if it's good or not, but a party-wide heal seems decent!

Also do I have access to both his bursts now or do I have to choose one? Is this something I can learn forever or do I need to keep the shield equipped?

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Thanks again! I'm currently working on getting my stamina up and memory crystals unlocked for my FFXII team. Anything else you recommend for newbies?

I've been trying to maximize my stamina in between stamina shard gains from realm dungeons and I want to know good areas to focus on when I'm not doing a story mission.

Edit - what does difficulty refer to? I have a team of 30-50 leveled guys and got smashed with a 99 difficulty boss (the Turks), but I've been completely smashing things at 40-50 difficulty

ceaselessfuture fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jul 6, 2017

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

So what's everyone's opinion on Noctis at the moment? He's the only character I have the third memory crystal for so I'm wondering if it's worth boosting him up.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Sorry for all the questions, but you guys are great and helpful <3

Should I be saving mithril for a half-off event or just use it as it comes?

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Went 3/11 in my latest pull!

Got: Artemis Bow, Yoichi Bow, and Novus Leathers.

I guess I'm using Fran and Vayne :shobon:

The Yoichi Bow is kind if useless though, right? I can learn the break from it and not worry about it anymore?

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

So I spent hours grinding out 50 Mithril because I'm really interested in buffing my newbie FFXII team before the banner and events leave. I pull on the banner, having one artifact from it already. 11/12 chance to get something usable, right?

Guess what relic I got, with nothing else? :negative:

I understand all of you now, and feel your pain.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

I see now the true evil of ftp games

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Against my better judgement, I just bought some gems and rolled on the newest FFXIV banner and got Temple Cyclas! Seems decent.

Anyone have any advice for utilizing Yda? My current team is just comprised of the people I have relics for so any suggestions would be great. Loadout is as follows:

Reks (Diamond shield) - Spellsword/Cura
Vayne (Novus Leathers) - Combat/ -ga magic (front row with a sword)
Fran (Artemis Bow) - Power Breakdown/ -ga magic
Larsa (Staff of the Magi) - Magic Breakdown/Curaga

then my last spot was Gilgamesh with the drawtaliate combo. Figured that Yda with a combat/monk + Armor Breakdown would be successful.

Thoughts?

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Awesome, that's just what I needed. My original pie-in-the-sky plan for Fran was to give her Full Break and Icicle Shot to synergize with her Ultimate. Would this be a decent strategy in the future?

Also I had Larsa with Rallying Etude before. Should I go back to that or just get Ramza RWs?

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Half Stamina priced realm dungeons :aaaaa:

gonna grind my balls off for 125+ Mythril now. Gotta pull on my FFXII banners!

Can you only Lucky pull once, or is it only once at 25 Mythril?

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

I freely admit I'm bad at this game, but Dagger Toss kicks some serious rear end

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

So which FFX banner should I make my first pull on? My team still isn't super diverse, so it's basically a grab bag of things I could use.

I'm leaning towards 2 because Auron's USB looks really amazing.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Perfect, thanks! I'll probably save up for the upcoming FF8 banner then I think. Interested in getting Squall's BSB.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Finally made an account: please critique my A-team and let me know what I can shoot for next!

https://www.ffrkcentral.com/profile/5wNM

I can do most content up to around 160 where I start running into trouble, but I just got Fran's BSB so that might change.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Started two weeks ago, but I work from home so it's easy to work and tap the screen every now and then. I pulled on the FFXII 2 banner three or four times and got everything for Fran and most things for Vayne, so I consider myself pretty lucky!

I took a look at upcoming banners and most don't appeal to me, so saving up seems like a good idea. I still need to pull on the Lucky banner but was going to do one more FFXII for a chance at Reks' sword. What can I say? I have a soft spot for FFXII.

And yeah, ever since the 1/2 off Realm dungeons I've been going pretty hard in between writing articles :shobon:

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Yeah, I've noticed that Vayne has quickly become my rockstar character and I'm totally okay with this. My only question with him is whether or not to give him Life Siphon -- without it, he can rock great, high-damage skills, but with it I get his BSB off faster.

Actually, in general, when's a good time for Life Siphon over another high-damage skill?

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

so uh, speaking of dumb luck:

Are the Suit and Defender good enough to move my party around?

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Finally got around to lucky drawing, but I have no idea how useful these relics are:

I don't have a magic team yet, but the Marach and Vivi ones seem good?

Also I've been having a bit of trouble on Yunalesca. I've been using a wall RW against her and almost got her down, but I feel like I'm doing something wrong.

Against break resistant bosses are you just hosed if they resist? It seems like my breaks get resisted 100% of the time.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Goddamnit, I only have thirty mythril and I'm definitely not tossing down $30. Oh well, shouldn't get too upset over a bug I guess :sigh:

LornMarkus posted:

Three BSBs you didn't have is an excellent pull on any Lucky, especially since that's Auron's newer BSB as well. Congrats.

Awesome, maybe I'll transfer Auron to team A then and work on a magic party!

Party Boat posted:

It's not a dice roll thing, if they're resistant they'll always resist, but all that means is the effect is lessened. You'll see "null" if a break has no effect but Dr Mog should be highlighting that stuff to you before the battle.

Oh my God that is incredibly helpful to know. Now I won't blow all my charges in the first few rounds of combat.

How do you all figure out when you should reapply buffs/debuffs with no graphic? I feel like staggering abilities better would have won me that fight.

E: on second thought, 30 mythril + gems is only $12...

ceaselessfuture fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 20, 2017

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

ahahaha are you loving kidding me

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

So after blowing my mythril on the KC2 bug, I've looked at the upcoming events to see what to save up for. Nothing really strikes my fancy.

Someone mentioned there was a 'fest' in September I should save up for? What is that and would saving two months of mythril be worth it?

Also how do you guys keep track of timing de/buffs that don't have graphical components?

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Bartz is apparently the best damage dealer in the game if you manage to get his USB, his relic LM, and fully dive him but that's a ridiculous amount of money/luck

Doesn't he have like four relics in the upcoming FFV banner? Seems like a good opportunity to try to assemble it

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Looks like another realm dungeon discount coming on 8/2!

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

I'm getting my rear end handed to me by the 140 Couerls. They do manageable damage when I have my shields/proshell/wall up, but if one of those drops I usually lose a party member.

I've almost beaten it twice so I'm pretty sure I can finish it, but I'm also sure I'm probably doing something wrong. Can I get some advice?

Also how the hell do you tell when a Break or Wall has faded?

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

NGDBSS posted:

You're probably just not doing damage quickly enough. I was blessed with a lot of magic buffs and Krile's BSB (AoE fire opener, fire aura, 2-hit fire CMD2) among other things but it looks like your tools are similarly useful. You've got Auron's BSB2, Vivi's BSB1 (master this), and Marach's BSB (master this as well, though it's not as high priority). Then mix and match to taste. Your current party is set up to sandbag, but except for Auron not really set up for AoE damage, so you'll need to fix that.

I probably won't be able to work them up before the event ends, but that's good to know.

quote:

• Stick with just one support character - Penelo or Fran. I'd tentatively suggest Penelo for now because she can keep spamming dances whereas Fran can only fire her AoE debuffs as SBs, and because she also has a medica to complement Larsa's.
  • What RW are you using? If you've got Manufacted Marvel, and cast that right off the bat, you can probably just use Vessel of Fate as your RW and call it a day on most offensive buffs.
  • And if you do use Vessel of Fate, Reks' BSB is mostly superfluous because you'll hit Auron's ATK softcap between BSB buffs/Vessel of Fate/CMD2's Dark Bargain effect.
  • Hone up Curaja. You've got the orbs for it to at least R2, or R3 if you really stretch your holy orbs.
  • If you're doing damage quickly enough and have both Protectga and Shellga up you probably won't need Wall. (I say probably because I brought it along myself but was taking so little that you can probably stand whatever they pelt you with in a quick fight.)
  • Auron should be doing monstrous amounts of damage rather than just Drawtaliating. You can still put Draw Fire on him, but it lasts for 25s and so you can treat it like any other medium-length buff. Stick Lifesiphon in his other slot instead of Retaliate, honing up a new copy if you have to. (I have four copies of that ability at R5 x2/R4 x2, and 2x Wrath R4 as well. Generating SB is absurdly good.)
  • There's no easy way to tell when most buffs/debuffs have faded. You can often find out the hard way, after an enemy's attack deals more damage or yours deals less, but in general you just want to get into a rhythm when using buffs to reestablish things by habit. For instance, most stat changers that are abilities last for 15s, while most that are instead SBs (with the infamous exception of Wakka's old Status Reels) last for 25s. Given that a hasted turn lasts around 4s between an ATB, casting times, and user delay; you'll want to reestablish an ability buff/debuff every three turns or so. If you have access to some form of quickcast on that character you can lengthen it to four turns, but in general it's better to be safe with overriding durations than to have them unexpectedly lapse for a second or two. (Things like Shell/Protect/Haste are exceptions that last longer with variable durations based on MND.) Similarly, you can recast ability-based buffs/debuffs (like Wall or Vessel of Fate's +ATK/MAG) every six turns or so.

I was using Fran for damage, since my only other options are Vayne and Yda, neither of which are optimal for this fight (and I think Fran does more damage than they do anyway). Cutting her might actually work though. I'd have to sub in Vayne I guess?

3 attempts and each one I used Wall RW. I'll have to try with Vivi's BSB next.

quote:

-A break/breakdown lasts 15 seconds (page 10+11) so you can safely go two turns before reapplying. Full Break, other breakdown, other breakdown, repeat is what I did for a long time with rank 2 Full Break. With rank 3 Full Break I just alternate. With Setzer's BSB, I go between three breakdowns; Fujin covers MAG+RES so Setzer goes ATK+DEF, MAG, Full Break, repeat.

That's actually a great rule of thumb! I'll have to break more often.

Thanks for the tips all! Hopefully my next attempt will go better.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

I'm just now able to start breaking into 5* abilities. The consensus I'm seeing online seems to be "go with whatever skill the most people can use," which makes sense, but I don't want to buy a bad skill just because of my current situation.

I've decided that a 5* Combat skill is probably the best bet, since Combat is so ubiquitous, and I'm not sure to go for Barrage or Full Charge. Is the wait worth the big damage?

I've also learned that Meteor is a pretty key skill as well. Thoughts?

jebeebus posted:

Attempted to do Wave of Fangs D140 in the Type-0 event because I wanted to try and get my first MC3 lode, and got killed in the 2nd round of Coeurls. Anyone have tips on how I can optimize my team to have a better chance, or is it a bit out of my range still?

Even after the help this thread has given me and the additional days to build up some specific counters to the event, I'm still unable to do it. I have another go in about ten minutes and I've decided that with basically perfect play I can do it.

It's stressful to not have an AoE team.

e: holy poo poo JUST beat it with one dead and four at 1/4 health. Jesus.

:toot:

ceaselessfuture fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jul 29, 2017

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

I was literally googling "best 5 star abilities" and getting Gamefaqs links so not sure if that's credible or what :v:

After Full Break R2, what are good options?

A-team is currently Reks, Ramza, Fran, [Flex], [Healer], where flex is: Vayne, Auron, Gilgamesh (potentially Basch), and my healers are Penelo and Larsa.

Working on a Mage DPS team of Terra/Vivi/Marach.

ceaselessfuture fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jul 29, 2017

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

jebeebus posted:

Are all RMs equipable by anyone?

Yep!

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

It's a little way off for me, but I'm almost able to legend dive Fran. Is she a good candidate for legend diving? I both like her and have all her relics, so I figured it wouldn't be a bad decision.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

KPC_Mammon posted:

I'd wait until after the anniversary festival. You'll likely have a completely different A-team.

How many different banners have you pulled on? Didn't you start with the recent XII event?

Yep :v:

Haven't pulled since the lucky draw/KC2 bug. Have 70 mythril and am saving for September.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

I actually just realized that three star motes and four star motes are totally different! Thought I had hundreds of fours, but apparently onky have a few.

Oh well, still good to know about Fran I guess!

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Are multiplayer battles fragile as hell or is my connection crap? I've tried to do the 160 Tomberry like 5 times today and the fight crashed every time.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

rujasu posted:

Lemme guess; you're on Android?

Snazzy Frocks posted:

if youre on android, everything will work a lot better if you clear the cache on FFRK periodically

Am on Android and I will try this out right away!

E: same error every time. My connection remains constant so if it is me, I have no idea. Maybe I should just get an emulator?

ceaselessfuture fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 1, 2017

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Gonna try my luck with emulation. Anyone have any program recommendations?

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

I have no idea if these are good? I have no experience with neither Hope nor Sazh.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Ah well, I guess I used up my luck last Lucky Draw.

Hopefully my luck with the FFV banner will be better.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

how the gently caress did we all get so many Hope BSBs

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

So I've actually been considering the upcoming FFXV banner:

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/5zvwfu/crownsguard_journey_with_sworn_friends_jp/

My A-team needs better DPS and better healing and this seems to provide both. Anyone have any thoughts/experience with these Breaks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Zurai posted:

Iris's BSB is arguably the best white mage BSB in the game. Gladio's BSB is a reasonably good earth-element physical BSB (worse than Yang, but pretty much everyone is). Noctis's BSB ... isn't that good. Gladio's OSB is an excellent stat stick and a meh OSB, Noctis's OSB is very good if you have his (not out yet) USB, all three LMRs are pretty good, and Noctis's SSB is actually really good for an SSB.

So the majority of the banner is decent to good? That seems pretty convenient!

I was thinking this one or the Edge/Rosa banner, but Rosa only gets two relics on it.

• Locked thread