Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

frankenfreak posted:

It may come from xkcd, but it is a rather convincing argument in that particular debate.

It isn't, though, since the 1900's are one year off from the 20th century.

Yeah yeah trap sprung

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The 90's ended midway through 2001 :colbert:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Krankenstyle posted:

decades have fuzzy borders & overlap each other :colbert:

There's no overlap, we know the moment the '90s ended down to the exact minute :colbert: :colbert:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kingdom hearts was extremely cool if you were in the 12-14 demo when it came out

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

By popular demand posted:

I've seen the entire rise of the cinematic approach to storytelling in first person games and I'd just like to state plenty of them could do with some commentary from some rando who completely misunderstand the situation.
Makes the game world seem more lived in.

I like Freeman's Mind too

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

So now that there a millions of aisha, how does that interact with the ulfmind?

Option a) ulf's brainchip only tracks one specific timeline, only one aisha is in a universe with the ulfmind and the millions of others experienced an abrupt disconnect (but actually this is happening to a near infinite number of chipped ulfs and we are only able to see the ones still connected)

Option b) aisha's chip also causes the new ulf to be networked as well, so the ulfmind is growing at the same rate and ulf can see that there are suddenly more ulfs

Either way seems like aisha is very visible and in trouble, unless ulf is too preoccupied fighting the angels

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Splicer posted:

The chip isn't causing timeline splits, it maintains a connection between naturally splitting timelines as they diverge. Divergence is happening constantly without chips maintaining connections. The entire universe is multiplying every moment, they're just not talking to each other..

The chips only are connecting specific timelines.

So when we have 2 ulfs we have communication between A' and B'. Those are two timelines out of an infinite number, so at any moment an infinite number of ulf As split off, and can no longer talk to B, since only A' is connected to B'. In a week the orphaned ulfs would start off a new network, presumably.

In almost every universe ulf A suddenly realizes he can't talk to ulf B, but since we were anthropically following A', none of that ever came up until now.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Splicer posted:

You have Ulf A' and Ulf B'. Ulf A' splits off an exponentially increasing number of Ulf Ans and Ulf B' splits off an infinity Ulf Bns. Each Ulf An maintains contact with the matching Ulf Bn.

So, basically, you are saying the entire gestalt of multiple parallel worlds forks simultaneously and in perfect sync, rather than each universe doing its own thing randomly?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

They'll be forking in perfect sync anyway, since they're all wearing the same original chip with the same timer.
That's just a weekly connection of a few forks, not the underlying mechanic.

snergle posted:

the wierd thing is the buddas also acting like the christian angels. since the religion isnt like that. although i have seen prosperity buddists which are basically prosperity christians but in monk robes. so you know maybe it does

My refugee neighbors fled the Buddhist-lead religious genocide in Myanmar.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Splicer posted:

They fork constantly. "Every moment our universe splits into a gazillion other universes". Plenty of Ulfs to go round.

Yeah but if they weren't in perfect sync, you'd end up with the networks mingling or breaking.

Also if the brain chip only connects two fixed timelines and fails in any offshoots, the probability of being in a universe where the chip worked is 0, it's only the anthropuc principle that makes us follow this Ulf. Since the other chip testers before Ulf were nonprotagonists, we didn't see the 2/infinity timelines that were linked together.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I mean, the laughing buddha is *a* buddha, there's more than one.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I feel like the central conceit of brain chip is no longer 'parallel universes' but a more generic 'mad scientists'

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Karate Bastard posted:

Enjoy your 8 days of probation :)

heathcliffe is the lowercase :banme:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The benefits she gets each Christmas for putting up with Santa's brat are incentive enough

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

some plague rats posted:

Oh and another thing that makes for a good fight scene: the Jackie Chan principle, even if it's a fight to the death between deadly enemies you're allowed to make it funny. TESB is a great example: everyone is having so much fun, and it's infectious, and it makes the serious moments like Luthar getting run through hit way harder. But before then the corpses getting launched, and the swarm of simps, and nose guy realising they're in trouble because this guy looks cool, and noodle boy getting actually hurt and immediately just whining about it, they give the whole thing a sense of fun that's really hard not to like

The other Jackie Chan principle is that the environment where people are fighting should matter.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

I thought the shame cube was installed around you to protect others from seeing your shameful spherical shape?

It's to keep you from gnawing at your own body and its a cone

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nah, mr boop is poo poo, ironic poo poo is still poo poo

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kennel posted:

Trixie Slaughteraxe for President is a comic about how you can solve any problem by bringing in piles of newer and bigger enemies

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

petition for slaughteraxe to include a vice presidents counter

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lurk Ethic posted:

This one's a good multi-panel one

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kennel posted:

The best part of Yoyo comic is that I'm pretty sure that there hasn't been a single instance of "'it can't be helped", which makes it superior to all the other manga translations. means it is on a completely different level

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Push El Burrito posted:

You could replace the last panel text in any comic with the last panel text of this one and it would work.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I would prefer if fetish comics didn't get posted.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tunicate has a new favorite as of 03:18 on Aug 31, 2022

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The obvious solution is to make a wand out of cardboard and fight back with your own plausible deniability magic.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

BasicLich posted:

from waffleimages archive

good memories here

e: please do not derail about the weirdo scott adams

It was before his brain damage

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

This broke me.

it says it's 11:E2, Japanese reads right-to-left

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The live action movie was so bad toriyama came out of retirement to make new movies so that wouldn't be the last one.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Emzedoh posted:

He just hated noise, it made it hard for him to think. A quick google throws up this article:
https://www.themarginalian.org/2012/11/28/discord-babbage-noise/

so did Einstein.

Von Neumann, on the other hand, couldn't function in silence, and loved playing incredibly loud recordings of marching bands while he worked.

When they worked at Princeton, their offices were next to each other.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tree Bucket posted:

How stuff gets invented- it's just fascinating. I can see why a lot of cultures attribute the invention of bronze-working to gods, because it seems virtually impossible to discover such a complex operation "by accident." Anyway-

-this is the Phaistos Disc; it was made in Crete around 3500 years ago. By the looks of things, some bright spark invented movable type printing (for clay tablets, at least) 35 centuries ago.
Like you said, I find it hard to believe that this idea never occurred to anyone else over the long centuries!

Looks like they used seals or stamps to me.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MokBa posted:

Some classics in today’s batch of Hark! A Vagrant

Henry could write some bangin’ tunes

I do love how at the start of Thucydides’ History of the Peloponnesian War, he rips into Herodotus for being a total liar. They both wrote history, though Herodotus was more interested in stories and Thucydides more interested in facts.

Anyway, I was in the middle of drawing the one about Joseph Howe which is decidedly less silly and took a break to draw this one which is totally, one hundred percent silly. Old Greek dudes never said ‘fat butts,’ but you’ll never take my degree away! I hid it.

Fun fact, the giant ants thing totally checks out, it just turns out there was a slight mishearing when communicating across languages. If you look at the location, there are indeed unusually large burrowing creatures which happen to sometimes dig up gold, it's just that they're 'marmots' and not 'murmekes'. An easy mistake.

Tunicate has a new favorite as of 05:27 on Oct 4, 2022

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dieting Hippo posted:

I've got my theory on that, The Scepter of Death's simulation only simulates a ~6 light year radius sphere around it. Because the stars themselves are not simulated giving light off, the light that was traveling within the simulation at the time it started runs out at the 5y 318d mark.

If its reasonably earthlike, wouldn't a few of the nearest stars still be visible?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

RandolphCarter posted:

Suicide based oracle is certainly a unique character.

I've seen a couple of books where a haruspex does something similar, but those cases are a bit of a one-time accidental thing.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Pacifist magic only allows you to cause the deaths of little things, and in the past spells bave resulted in the scepter being used, without Lyndon forgetting them. The only concluaion is that this entire world is miniaturized inside the gem on the scepter.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Boulet should team up with Ronnie. Combined, they'll be the equivalent of four artists (by weight).

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ronnie is doing a different comic now

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

C'mon lyndon, you know the scepter isn't killing people because you acquired it with pacifist magic, used it, and kept your spell.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Benagain posted:

Maybe pacifist magic only checks to see if you killed a person in this universe.

And/or technically you're creating a universe and then when you die the simulation ends, which isn't you killing anyone so much as the scepter.

Pacifist magic counts kills from other people, remember audrey killing that giraffe monster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ditocoaf posted:

I thought he only lost his pacifist magic if one of his spells caused or enabled harm. Which is interpreted very broadly, but: I don't think he ever used a spell to touch the scepter or enable someone to touch the scepter, so I don't think his magic would associate itself with the scepter deaths.

He first gets the scepter by candifying the sealed box it's held in. He would never have used the scepter if he didn't cast that spell.