Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Please trade Rose for Rubio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Chairchucker posted:

I'm planning to go to my first ever NBA match in Minnesota when they play OKC in April, and if Rubio's been traded by then I'll probably be cheering for OKC.

This ain't soccer! It's a game! :derp:

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Because that's what we do, baby!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

JaVale McGee knocking Shaq out would be the highlight of my life.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

"Rebounding barely matters"

Seriously?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Zogo posted:

The Warriors and Cavaliers are below average rebounding teams. Meanwhile teams like the Pistons, Nuggets, Hornets, Bulls and Thunder are the elite rebounding teams.

The correlation this season between WP% and ORB% is .11 (barely significant). The correlation between WP% and DRB% is .02 (no correlation).

Back in 2007 the correlation between WP% and DRB% was in the .5 range (very significant). In 1997 it was even more important at .65

Back in the 1970s both sides of rebounding were important to winning. Then offensive rebounding became less relevant and now in the last twenty years defensive rebounding has followed suit.

I agree it may not be as important as it was in the past, but saying rebounding barely matters is insane. Just because two of the best teams to ever play in the NBA, currently happen to be weak at rebounding (while being historically great at every other aspect) doesn't mean rebounding is worthless.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Impressive stuff there.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

OzFactor posted:

I wonder why LeBron didn't just shoot it and get the foul call. I mean, that's a foul, right?

Usually someone has to make contact with you for a foul to be called.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Paul Zuvella posted:

I really don't see this happening. Players are not going to want to live in Mexico.

That's what we said about Cleveland!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Wait, Doltos, you're a Knicks/Red Sox fan?

Say it ain't so man.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I could never forgive myself if I changed allegiances. The only reason I could see it happening is if I moved to a new city, but my NY teams would always be my true loves. (For better or for worse)

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Like the dunk contest!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Mr. Mambold posted:

That was great link, thanks.

Seconding this. Those old dudes played harder than players in the current All-Star game.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Also you know these guys play pick up games and play with more effort than the all star game. I bet LeBron plays harder against his son in his driveway.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

So if every player in the dunk contest just walked up to the hoop and did a two footed hop dunk you wouldn't complain?

People can get hurt doing dunks ya know!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Intruder posted:

Which is why stars never participate in it anymore

Bullshit. Stars do Dunk Contest caliber dunks in pre-game warm ups all the time. No star is skipping the dunk contest because he's scared of getting injured. Scared of losing maybe...

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Gobias Ind. posted:

Players decline invitations to the dunk contest all the time (for a variety of reasons). The participants accept an invitation and choose to risk their health. All-stars are selected by fans and coaches and have to play.

Also there's some prestige in winning the dunk contest. WHO THE gently caress CARES ABOUT THE ALL STAR GAME?

Players decline invitations to the all-star game as well. There's probably 50+ instances of players declining to play after being selected. The participants accept an invitation and choose to risk their health for that too, just like the dunk contest. There's no injured player who is going out there playing in the all star game because they were voted in. If they don't want to play, they don't play.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 8, 2017

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Time posted:

No matter how many times I see him make good plays, or how many stats you show me, I will never believe Seth curry is good. It doesn't fit my head canon

How do you feel about Austin Rivers?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

euphronius posted:

I did that in a pickup game once . It owned

I bet your teammates were upset you were watching NBA highlights on the court.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Kibner posted:

Up to the players and coaches.

Seriously? I would think it would be up to security. So a player can just choose to boot any fans that heckle them at all? That doesn't sound right.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Intruder posted:

Ray Allen: roleplayer

There's really not many better examples of a roleplayer than Ray Allen was on that team. What are you getting at?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Stagger_Lee posted:

I think if you call an NBA player a bitch on the internet they should get to Jermaine O'Neal falcon punch you.

LeBron is a bitch

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

LeBron bumped in the back by an elbow, lays on the floor crying. A true warrior.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

BWV posted:

Does anyone else get nauseous when an NBA writer refers to a player as a "unicorn"?

It's such a dumb loving term and doesn't even make sense.

No, because I know what they are trying to say. It's a player with a skill set that is so rare it's almost mythical.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

BWV posted:

Also it's dumb because the entire NBA is full of super unique awesome players who do cool poo poo all the time.

Agreed, but someone like Antetokounmpo, who can can take one dribble from half court and throw down a vicious windmill, is so unique that he stands out in a league full of the most freakishly athletic people in the world. Same with a 7'3 kid who is draining 30 footers after he throws down a put-back dunk over said freak athletes.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 28, 2017

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

If the Thunder resigned Durant, he would still be on the Thunder.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Noctone posted:

Westbrook is a transcendent destroyer of rims, what more do you want out of an MVP

To defy conventional breakfasts.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

ex post facho posted:

being a fan of the nuggets is to know pain. no fa will ever willingly sign here. tje team owner is a walmart heir whi thunks he is some great basketball mind (ive met him and he is basically the jared kushner of basketball lol). the organization is only concernes with maximkzing profit at the pepsi center, which still has some of tbe leagie's highest average ticket prices despite being dead last in attendance.

they threw away nurkic so they could make a run at the 8th seed just to fill the arena for 2 playoff games

lol

I need a new team

I see you have taken to drowning your sorrows in alcohol. This is the first step to numbing the pain.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I'm going to Knicks/Bulls tomorrow. When I bought these tickets in December I had grand ideas of a late season match-up with playoff implications on the line. Now I guess the best case scenario is for my team to lose. At least I get to see KP live :)

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Chairchucker posted:

I also think it's sort of OK to slap/punch/whatever away a guy's arm/wrist/elbow/whatever when he's in the process of pinching you.

This. Don't do some weak rear end poo poo like pinching a man's belly, and he won't retaliate.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Intruder posted:

Hey this is even coming from a Rockets fan

And I'm not being sarcastic, Harden looked like a pro wrestler who just ate a belt shot

Come on man.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Thank you Knicks for actually playing well during the one game I was able to go to this year. Still upset KP sat though :(

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I can't wait for the playoffs to start!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

This is really happening then?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Spacebump posted:

The fan that told Dolan to sell the team is being frozen out of renewing his season tickets and the Knicks won't even officially tell him.
http://nypost.com/2017/04/11/fan-james-dolan-called-a-hole-knicks-are-freezing-me-out/

Dolan is a giant baby. gently caress that guy so hard.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Redgrendel2001 posted:

The series win probability for a team up 2-0 is something like +90%.

What about 3-1?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Doltos posted:

Nah man we replaced his bum rear end with Joakim Noah

A passing big man will absolutely flourish in the triangle. Spare no expense.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Dexo posted:

Right now as a Bulls fan I'm playing with house money.

The only team I hate more or as much as the Celtics are the Bulls. So worst case I will be able to laugh at something.

Your most hated team in the NBA is... your team?

I mean as a Knicks fan I can kind of understand, but drat.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Does Durant have a timetable for return yet? I really want to see a finals rematch with both teams at full strength.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Lockback posted:

"A defensive foul is not called if the offensive player initiates contact" rule would basically solve most of these types of problems.

It would also eliminate LeBron's "bull charge into defender and take two free throws" technique.

• Locked thread