Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

triple sulk posted:

Was this posted cause lmao Embiid is GOAT

NBA N/V: "Regular white people. You can find videos of them online."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I tried to take Embiid's advice but googling "white people shooting" just brings up a bunch of spree killings and BLM protests

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Tae posted:

Whatever happened to Noah Vonleh, he's like the only person I never hear of from the '14 draft

He plays for Portland which might as well be NBA Bermuda Triangle, I always forget they even exist

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
112 games for which Wilt's blocks are recorded.

In these 112 games, he averaged 8.8 blocks per game, and had 23 in one game. :pwn:

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Joel Embiid is the GOAT

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

:allears: Can we fast forward two years so I can just watch Embiid put up 28/12/3 every night?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Also I just looked at James Harden's stats for the year and holy poo poo :lol:

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Somebody had fun with that Embiid clip.

https://vine.co/v/5jHQjTLzheF

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I suppose it must be all the "next LeBron" hype but a lot of fans around the league seem weirdly pessimistic about Wiggins. He's still only 21, came into a pretty rough situation, is steadily improving, can already score like an All-Star, and has all the tools necessary to eventually be a great defender. His shot is looking good and he's way more comfortable handling the ball (his biggest weakness at KU). He is kind of a black hole right now but I suspect that'll improve as well.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

IcePhoenix posted:

I don't think Wiggins ever really got "next Lebron" hype, and he certainly plays a very different type of game. He's never going to be putting up rebounding or assist numbers anywhere near what LeBron does, for example.

It would be more accurate to say "best prospect since LeBron" which was the hype on him out of high school

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Glad to see Wiggins go off again. I mean, granted, it's Philly, but he did what you're supposed to do, and he's starting to stuff the stat sheet beyond points which is nice.

Also, as far as his three-point shooting goes...small sample size this season, of course, but from February on last season: 30/75 (40%). It might just be for real.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I'm getting Embiid before everybody else does

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XQv6I6cY1c

how did he score at the 2-minute mark :pwn:

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
https://twitter.com/SmittyBarstool/status/800391308900728833

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
You'd think they would've changed their approach after, like, the seventh block

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Certain great athletes are basically geniuses. They see and process and understand poo poo normal people simply never could.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Papercut posted:

Top-5 what? Politician? Because there's absolutely no question that he's a top-5 NBA player all-time.

Wilt
MJ
LeBron
Kareem
???

That fifth spot has a whole lot of competition.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Zogo posted:

Horace Grant Didn't Always Need Those Goggles, But He Kept Wearing Them For The Kids
https://sports.yahoo.com/news/horace-grant-didnt-always-those-171016621.html

Only a few more weeks and LBJ is displacing MJ.

code:
NP	Player
5986.24	Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
4915.4	Artis Gilmore
4915.28	Karl Malone
4688.56	Reggie Miller
4381.56	Adrian Dantley
4349.08	Charles Barkley
4188.12	Shaquille O'Neal
4053.56	Dirk Nowitzki
3895.32	Michael Jordan
3843.08	LeBron James
He might even catch Dirk this year if he remains injured.

We all know Wilt would have like 7,600 or something if the stats were available. :colbert:

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

https://twitter.com/7reevo/status/808561816435650560/photo/1

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

WhyteRyce posted:

Melting Pot smh

Friends. Friends!

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
All NBA punches pale next to the Kermit Washington haymaker

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Dejan Bimble posted:

Man that's crazy. I wonder other old NBA chestnuts are phantoms like this

Wilt Chamberlain was actually celibate

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Jack's Flow posted:

He's awesome. Also, I like how Simmons cannot make up his mind on him, he's probably concussed from all the flip-flopping.

We need a real star who is taller!
He's the best!
He should come off the bench!
He's Tiny Archibald!

He's a Alpha tweener Unicorn with The Look

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Blind Pineapple posted:

Advanced Stats Question: What does win shares take into account that PER/BPM/VORP don't?

Well, the obvious answer would be...wins.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Constellation I posted:

I don't watch Sixers games but I do hope Embiid doesn't evolve into an annoying rear end fuccboi like that piece of poo poo Dwight Howard.

Embiid is actually funny, as opposed to Dwight Howard, who desperately wants you to think he's funny.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
https://twitter.com/MaxRappaport/status/820135612472770560?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Oh man, I just found a great old reddit thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/3cvpmg/what_nba_story_made_you_laugh_so_hard_it_hurt/

quote:

“A lot of people do all their howling on the court and they’re faking just for attention, but what he does is genuine.
"So one day we were at his house and we were watching Puff Daddy’s show ‘Making the Band,’ and in one of the scenes, some new guys came in and were trying to sing and were trying to compete against the guys who had been there. And KG just got so hyped, ‘Motherfucker, you’ve got to stand up for yours! You’ve got to fight! Motherfucker, you’ve got to come together!’ He’s going crazy, he’s sweaty. And he just headbutts the wall and put a hole in the wall of his house.”

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

tanglewood1420 posted:

I have come pretty far sticking to my "I'm not a fan of any one team, just a fan of the game" principle, but Embiid this season has been making it very difficult for me.

This is me. I tried becoming a Thunder fan (closest team to me) but it never took, I couldn't force a fandom. But as a KU alum Philly is coming on strong.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Wealthy Aristocrat posted:

Dwight Howard was never a star, more like a salary cap weight.

It feels like forever that ago that Dwight was the consensus #2 player in the NBA

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Go figure the Lakers and the Boogie-led Kings are the two more likable California teams. Strange times we live in.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
https://twitter.com/BarstoolSSOTD/status/825098718621921288

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

straight up brolic posted:

lmao "show me your feet"

In the replies they tweeted additional pics, in one of them he asks "Do you like black guys"

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

dokmo posted:

I mean a general theory that would explain previous injuries, explain the lack of injuries in similar-but-different cases, and be able to predict future injuries given known factors.

edit: I'm not putting the lack of a theory on anyone, just expressing surprise that the problem is much more difficult than I assumed.

Nutritional science faces some of the same issues, because unfortunately: we are all snowflakes. Everybody's body is just so different in ways that are absurdly hard to measure.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I'm a St. Louis native transplanted to KC (well, Olathe, which is about 15 minutes south of KC), with no NBA affiliation. And not only did KC build a big shiny arena for the purpose of attracting an NBA team, but St. Louis kinda just lost its NFL team. GIMME

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
It's great how even when the NBA tries to enforce some dumb rule everybody just works around it in a really entertaining passive aggressive way. This is basically how we got the Fashion Era of NBA stars.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Mandrel posted:

So are we just forgetting the Warriors without Durant are basically still just the Warriors from last year or what

In addition to what others have mentioned, this year's edition of Steph Curry is, statistically speaking, a much better match to his '13-'14 version than his '14-'15, and especially '15-'16, version. It's possible that's just to do with the effects of adding Durant, but maybe not.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

EvanTH posted:

Or that one part in The Sixth Man

Man at first I misread this and thought you meant the conversation between Haley Joel Osment and his mom in the car in The Sixth Sense. Which is still my favorite scene in any Shyamalan movie.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

roundmidnight posted:

(I just hate The Wire, sorry.)

Gat drat what the hell

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

cisneros posted:

Having a crazy dad that wants to fulfill his sports dreams through his sons is more important than genetics, really, that's why there's never been any father/ son all stars. Someone like Dell Curry, who was close enough to stardom, is an ideal situation.

Not in basketball maybe but in other sports you've got Barry/Bobby Bonds, Ken Griffey Sr. and Jr., Howie and Chris Long, and surely others I'm forgetting.

Also it's too early to say but Manute Bol's kid is a major NCAA prospect at the moment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Oh I forgot the best ones: Bobby and Brett Hull, both Hall of Famers; and Dale Earnhardt Sr. and Jr. (ditto?)

• Locked thread