Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

This isn't even close to wishing death on you, you loving steakhead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

Colonel J posted:

I know it's not a scandal that Hillary was "told some questions for the debate in advance", but I'm not sure exactly why. Usually you guys are good at explaining this stuff.

It was a dumb thing for Brazile to do, but it was one question regarding the water crisis in Flint, for a town hall event held in Flint. The reason it's kind of nothing is because yeah, of course there would be a question about that.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

Covok posted:

Remember, the scarier the model and the scarier the headlines, the more clicks you get.

Nate's model is fine and was set months before the election season even began. It's just naturally more conservative than other models. The headlines and editorializing is obnoxious, sure, but there's nothing wrong with a model that has a high degree of uncertainty, similar to how there's nothing wrong with a model with a very low degree of uncertainty (PEC)

Dick Trauma posted:

Is it just me or has Trump drastically cut down on tweeting? It seems like the debate was the last source we've had of his crazy bullshit instead of the steady trickle we'd been enjoying.

He's doing like three rallies a day or something, he probably has no time to do anything between hollering on stage like a gibbering man-ape and flying back to New York to sleep for thirty minutes.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

Instant Sunrise posted:

"Not only are we going to New Hampshire, Tom Harkin, we're going to South Carolina and Oklahoma And Arizona.. And North Dakota And New Mexico! We're going to California and Texas and New York! And we're going to South Dakota and Oregon and Washington and Michigan! And then we're going to Washington D.C. to take back the White House! Yeah!!!"

that was played 633 times in a 4 day period, now multiply that out over the course of an entire election cycle.

I was 12 when this happened and didn't pay the slightest bit of attention to politics. Also, this current election has completely ruined the idea of what a gaffe looks like to me, so if you don't mind my asking: what in the actual hell is it about this thing that tanked Dean's chances, because it just looks like a slightly goofy bit of emotion to me?

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

Rabble posted:

Even Fox has Clinton at +5.

A side note, every time I try to type out Clinton I accidentally type out Clingon.

FYI, Fox doesn't do the poll, they just commission it from a reputable pollster. There's no bias in there other than regular poll leanings.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

Cabbit posted:

Didn't he get burned on the primaries about Trump? Dude's hedging his bets like a motherfucker.

Not really. What happened with the primaries is that his model suggested that Trump had the best chance of winning and he, the person, chose to follow the popular punditry that suggested Trump had no real shot and would drop out. It's not an indictment of his model, which has been set for months and isn't getting updated on the fly to put a thumb on the scale.

538 just has a more conservative model compared to other poll aggregators. It doesn't mean it's bad, or wrong or whatever, it just has a different methodology. Divorce your thoughts about it from your thoughts about Nate Silver as a person or pundit.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

"but I don't support BLM," they follow up with.

"I just think, you know, they have a point, kind of, but they're not really doing it right. Protesting on highways doesn't really do anything, you're just getting in the way of people who just want to get home. And when you think about it, cops have it tough, too."

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

Ogmius815 posted:

Yes I too agree that this forum should be nothing but a constant witch hunt to exclude people that disagree with us. That's exactly the sort of moderation this forum could use.

Yeah you're right, calling out racists is equivalent to a witch hunt for wrongthink. Gosh guys, he may think PoCs are lesser beings, but that's just his opinion! You suck.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

Ogmius815 posted:

But we used to have all kinds of horrible racists in this forum. Many, many more than we have now. But we didn't need moderators to ban them, we just drove them off by making them look like idiots. That;s half the fun of posting in D&D, seeing which libertarian/closet white supremacist/tankie might stop by today.

It could only ever be fun to run racists out on a rail if you're a white dude approaching it like a game as opposed to a PoC to whom this is just a regular, tiring facet of life. Also, they all consider themselves master loving trolls so trying to shame them out of the thread does jack and poo poo. Probations/bans are the only thing that could stop them and when that doesn't happen they are free to just constantly jump in and try to poo poo up the thread.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

spacetoaster posted:

Well then why even set all that up?

She likely thought she could handle it up until she saw a room full of media ready to pepper her with questions and start going over her current and past life with a fine-toothed comb.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
Here's my hot take: every FF other than VIII is good, and VIII is good for the first disc. Or maybe I just have rock bottom standards

Castomira posted:

Let's dispense with any last pretenses of civility. Chrono Cross is better than Chrono Trigger.

What in the

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

Lightning Knight posted:

In between "Bernie would've totally done better guys :qq:" number 998, I saw a poll showing Clinton up in Ohio, which I feel should be a bigger deal than we seem to be making out of it.

Reuters/IPSOS state polls are snapshots of their national polls, not individually conducted. They're kind of shaky methodology.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

Lightning Knight posted:

Oh was it that lovely poll? Boo. :mad:

It put her +7 nationally, if it helps!

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

Charlz Guybon posted:

Why does the polling seem disconnected from the early voting numbers. They look really good for Nevada and Florida. If HRC wins both, then she wins the election doesn't she?

For Nevada specifically, the hours people work and the really high Latinx population throws off polling accuracy substantially. This is not a problem exclusive to this election - it was Obama +2.8 by polling in 2012, and he won the state by over 6 points in reality. Similarly, Reid in 2010 was predicted to lose somewhat comfortably, but ended up winning, again, by about 6 points.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

Whoo boy, this gave me a quick case of the vapors. I'd better find my fainting couch.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

Petr posted:

Why is every news source (and 538) saying that Florida is looking red, but this thread seems certain it'll go blue?

Early voting trends and demographics. Latinx voters are way up and black voters lagged for a bit and are now catching up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
I've gotten seven mailers from my shitawful Tortilla Coast-rear end congressman in the past two days trying to run a smear campaign against his opponent. Considering I'm used to getting a single one like a week before voting day that's just "Congressman Garrett hates taxes; loves America!" I'm really hoping he's deep in hot water.

I don't really care much about the Dem running for the seat, I just loving hate Scott Garrett's bullshit.

Militree posted:

Does anyone have any info on early voting in New Jersey? That map that gets posted said it's available, but all I can research says no excuse absentee ballot only, and I don't have enough time to get that in.

I'd recommend contacting your County Clerk's office; I dunno if it's statewide but for my district at least they have mail-in ballots available on-site there for the weekend before the election.

• Locked thread