Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i have off on election day, i'll get to follow along the anxiety train in real-time this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

perfectly generic object for president 2020

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Empress Theonora posted:

like does this even line up with other recent NC polls?????

oh god

oh god

Take a breath and count to ten friend. Go for a walk outside, pet a dog.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Harrow posted:

Apparently, yes.

I generally disagree with people in USPol who insist that most voters don't care about the emails. I think most voters don't care about the details of the emails, but the perception of illegal activity is definitely enough to scare away some potential voters. Those potential voters are probably just staying home, in this case, not running to Trump or a third-party.

"If she was innocent, why is she on trial????"

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

suppose the gop successfully impeaches president clinton, but fails to get her actually removed from office
are they free to to just keep coming up with impeachment charges until one sticks?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Tom Guycot posted:

Do you remember the obamacare votes? Expect Hillary to get impeached by the house every week for 8 years.

Tricky D posted:

Indeed they are. Impeachment aren't criminal charges either, so it's questionable whether double jeopardy even applies.

so they don't even have to keep coming up with different, increasingly petty reasons for impeachment? they could just vote on the same charge over and over?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Pfft, I'm a Big Crunch kind of guy, take your Big Rip and stick a finger in a pie is what I say!

the universe is the fart of god, actually

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Gyges posted:

30 years of investigations mean she's guilty as sin. In fact she's so drat guilty that she's stolen all the evidence. Plus she stole the nomination from Bernie with the help of Donna Brazile and the DNC.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

i don't know who this is. wikipedia suggests they provide grants to a couple major conservative think tanks?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Nessus posted:

Yeah but if he says "the Rothschilds," he either has to explain who they are - and there's no real way to do that without sounding anti-Semitic - or he has to get huge cheers for the reference, which would let the news media explain it.

does trump care about sounding anti-semtic?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Nessus posted:

I think he is, yes. This may explain why Comey did this: it wasn't that he was trying to win it for Trump, it was a desperation move to try to stop the bleeding.

i thought that was understood goal? less about supporting trump then trying to preserve republican presence

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Axetrain posted:

Holy poo poo this thread is barely 2 days old and more than 120 pages already. Did something big happen or is that just the speed this thing moves at?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X48RiKQmFQ&t=77s

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

hillary clinton, first woman president, first president to carry out duties of office from a white house renovated into a jail cell

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

FAUXTON posted:

:unsmith: Having someone who is willing to straight up say "No, being gay isn't a goddamn disease to be cured, you loving barbarians" is going to be much better than "Well I certainly feel the pain of these inbred hicks and understand the whole christian persecution complex, but the federal government needs to be fair" but I'm dying to hear how this translates into Hillary saying gay kids won't get obamacare coverage anymore.

"hillary refuses therapy for gays, condemning them to hell"

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

going to a taco party on election night, either way it goes it's going to be awkward when i'm the only sober person in the room

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

No no no! Talking to boner confessor! I was quoting you to disprove his "only gfsincere and TB complain about the moderation" thing.

after seeing more then one attempt at 'okay how can i/we get better with re: moderating' result in no, or at best temporary, change i don't really hold a lot of hope in this changing

donald understand you can't let the facts get in the way of your story i see

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

I do understand the logic there and I try to take the same approach when I can, but invariably it gets thrown back in my face. It's pointless to worry about making people feel attacked when they are committed to attacking me. "That was pretty racist" gets heard as "you're a racist" by people who are racists.

as an approach, it's probably one more effective for white people to use then people of color. it's easier to slip in and get at the actual problem when the person your talking to already perceives you as 'one of them.' i wouldn't think it fair to expect a black person to take that kind of understanding in a directly hostile conversation.
i think that holds true in regards to other minority groups/issues as well

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

greatn posted:

I just got an email from Hillary Clinton with the subject line "Stop Refreshing 538".

she's right

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

America is still a slave society.

prison for profit pipeline
the dollop did an episode about convict leasing which is exactly what it says on the tin
kids for cash was a big scandal since it effected white people
there's more examples out there, i'm sure

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

"well, when you ignore context, you'll see i'm right"

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

RVProfootballer posted:

In the BCE years, it was an officially legal religion and afaik there was not any systematic persecution. I believe the Jewish revolts were more about political power, but am not an expert. That seems qualitatively different than later persecutory anti-Semitism.

Edit: That said, we're straying pretty far from USPol haha. Happy to hear if I have any of that wrong because I am absolutely not an expert, but probably otherwise fits in a history thread so I'll shut up about it :)

this is my chance to promote the ancient world podcast, the current segment bloodlines, starting around episode 13 we end up in judea and the next couple episodes focuses on the history of the area under the roman empire

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Agean90 posted:

A thing to remember is that the concept of race as we know it is very much a product of the late 18/early 19th century. While stereotypes are a thing (Theres graffiti that shows that the Black men have large dicks stereotype goes back to ancient rome at least) its not like you have Romans declaring the Carthaginians biologically inferior, fit only for serving their betters.

although i do distinctly remember plato's republic talking about how certain kinds of people are 'natural slaves.' women, for example. it seems like there's this feedback loop between taking slaves for seemingly strictly 'economical' reasons and needing to justify it on moral grounds which in turn because an imperative to maintaining/expanding the practice. no one wants to think they're doing a bad thing, even as they grind the neck of their fellow human beings into the dirt

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

I don't know about anyone else, but my biggest qualm is that "better" can mean a tremendous amount of things and packing the entirety of the worldwide human condition into a single word is so absurd as to be virtually meaningless. The other problem is that it implies a sort of inevitability - if you claim that things have always just gotten better with the passage of time over the entirety of human history, that comes with the unspoken addendum that things will inevitably continue to get better regardless of what people do. And of course, the basic assumption that everything has gotten better forever can definitely be challenged - for one thing, industrialization has allowed mass torture and murder on an unprecedented scale.

what i've read about the changes in lifestyle brought about by the agricultural revolution certainly fits that, too
farming means more food stability, more people can live in a smaller area, the ability for larger groups to organize and specialize their labors beyond sustenance practices, allowing well, civilization
it also stunted peoples diets, shortened their lifespans, further incentivized the extortion of the many for the benefit of the few, helped solidify divisions in labor between men and women and subsequent social status that still exist to this day, etc., etc.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

Being a faithless elector sounds like a good way to get a slocking.

checkout my new band, faithless elector

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Wizard Master posted:

Can someone tell me if Trump is going to lose or not? This thread gets like 100 new pages per hour and it's mostly nerd poo poo

trump will win or lose depending upon your vote
you are the deciding factor
you are the chosen one
bring balance to the electorate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

fishmech posted:

Yeah sorry, it's just the absentee ballot there. There's a form you can fill out with your county clerk to have them automatically mailed to you for future elections though, you might need to call them to get it.

You could technically go in to your county clerk's office on Monday before 3 PM and get an absentee ballot, fill it out on the spot, then hand it in. But there'd be little point to that. Depending on county you can also do this on Saturday or Sunday during their business hours. You can't really mail one of those ballots you'd get in person though, as it has to be received in office by the time the regular polls close to be valid.

my mother did exactly this since she'll be recovering from surgery on election day

• Locked thread