Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Be loud, be angry, be squishy as all hell (till you get dragon armour). Be an OGRE!

quote:

Legend of the Ogrefiend

1. taqueso
2. worldfamousw
3. mrwillsauce

# TEAMCAPTAIN taqueso
The non-official Ogre team that is not the official Ogrecoming Adversity!

Also, mrwillsauce, please confirm if that is the name you will be using in webtiles.

EDIT: Also, new thread so... bring back (Crown of Eternal Torment|Evaporate & Distillation|rMut|Singularity|Pakellas|a myriad of other petty things I liked)

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Nov 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
First Ogre, Chaos Knight, and Xom win of the tournament!
code:
2085536 worldfamousw the Slayer (level 26, 390/390 HPs)
             Began as an Ogre Chaos Knight on Nov 5, 2016.

Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 3 runes!

The game lasted 03:11:00 (44080 turns).
Ogrecame for Legend of the Ogrefiend. Broke my personal philosophy of only 15 runing though.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I'm going to add something else to my ever growing list of things I wish they would bring back:

I want to be able to destroy books for amnesia purposes again. I don't tend to run out of the scrolls on my casters, it is just more missing the flavor part of it.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
mrwillsauce, you still need to add
code:
# TEAMCAPTAIN taqueso
to the very first line of your RC File.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Tollymain posted:

i wonder how much participation in the tourney is going to be depressed by current events
Yeah, the shock and horror has began to wear off for me. Not going to go further in this discussion in this sub forum but I am slowly returning to reality. So, sorry ogre team, I will be back in a day or two to try for another win.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
In a Bailey on a GhFi going for Brute Force 3:
code:
G - the +7 gold dragon scales "Rioxtad" (worn) {rPois rF+ rC+ Str-2 Int+6 Dex+3 SInv}
Yeah, that will do.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
An amulet of reflection 4-6 is the amulet I will prefer almost every single game. Only randarts with good resists will replace it.

I like harm a whole lot also, but I tend to play so fast and loose it can tend to get me killed.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Yep. 4 to 6 shield is still damage I ain't taking. I would always prefer to avoid damage then be able to heal quicker from it.

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 25, 2016

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Pro tip: there are no good players. Just those that think they're good and robots who are trying to fool us.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Poison Mushroom posted:

How soon we forget the tengu
Hey, they ain't that bad. Just -20% health. Puts them on par with Gargoyles, Deep Elves, and Kobolds.

Freaking cats with their -40%(!) hp are compelety miserable and I don't care how many lives you get they are awful to play. Give them freaking hats and capes already or two sets of boots.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Poison Mushroom posted:

That would be amazing and I support it 100%.
Imagine a felid with two sets of Boots of Running, swiftness, and a bottle of haste. Would never see that bastard again when it took off.

EDIT: Just thinking about it, but man I want to get a felid who lucks out into Robust 3 and Rugged Scales 3. Be nice to be at near baseline hp on one.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Aumanor posted:

So how's everyone's opinion on the last few patches? Way back when I've looked at the changelog for 0.17, went "gently caress that noise" and stuck to 0.16 whenever I decided to splat another squishy caster. None of the changes on the subsequent releases convinced me it's worth to convert to them. Am I missing on much?
As much as some things change that I don't like (rmut, spells taken away, removal of Crown of Eternal Torment*), the improvements are almost always worth it. There has yet to be a version where the bad outweighed the good. And I'm someone who has been playing since about .5 or so. Also game gets stale without some shake up every now and again.

*I will never let this go.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Aumanor posted:

I'm not touching the newer releases util they bring back the ability to eat poisonous chunks (so most likely never). That was the worst change in a sea of bad changes.
Nutrition is almost completely irrelevant by the time you hit the fifth floor of the dungeon, and I'm saying that as someone who repeatedly plays casters that throws spells at full hunger in every fight going all the way through extended.

Honeslty, food might as well be cut for the little impact it has on the game. A few gods and maybe races may need tweaking but hey.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
:(

dpeg posted:

Perhaps food can eventually go at some point. It's not so trivial because food is intertwined thoroughly, and does (way too) many things. In my games, it sometimes has a noticeable effect on my casters.
I just never really have food effect my games, super casters included. The most it ever comes up is I have to spend one extra turn chowing down on a fruit to get one more cast/berserk off. Hell, the last time I can think of where I starved to death (was that removed, I'm thinking it was changed to just a bad debuff) was back when you needed a blade to chop corpses and got stuck with a cursed mace in my hand.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Mr. Prokosch posted:

But Trog is a very solid God choice that's useful throughout the game and you get a lot of mileage out of early worship.
I would think because it is cool to have a strong newbie class. Good to get people understanding the basics of combat and god abilities while also cutting magic out as a distracting option from them.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
What's to prepare other then have scroll ot immolation, torment, and blink ready to go as you haste down the stairs?

Yes I die in vaults a lot, what of it?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I always wanted to like Nem, but I can never make it work for me. To random or to much inventory management.

Oh well, at least we had a fun evoker god for a minute there.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
On a HOGl, dungeon lvl 4
code:
y - the +14 plutonium sword
Welp, guess I'm dropping training axes in a hurry.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

odiv posted:

"lol swastikas"

gently caress off with that Nazi poo poo. I don't care if it's "ironic" anymore, I have zero patience for it.
:same:

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

IronicDongz posted:

Knights will become warlords, priests high priests, wizards sorcerers. ~the strat~ is to train up only like 4-5 melee orcs at once(so the XP is less split between them) into warlords and gift them all polearms(pref. 1H polearms)
As someone who hates playing orc jesus style and hasn't for several versions now, why would you prefer 1H polearms on your people? You can only gift them once so they wouldn't be able to benefit from getting a shield right? Do orc minions not all attack at a baseline 1.0?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Oh, hey, Scrolls of Immolation are an awful idea when worshiping Beogh. Who knew!?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

rchandra posted:

Terrible news, everybody!

Ogres
This is an awful change.

Internet Kraken posted:

Hey can we put High Elves back in and remove Tengus instead because they are loving awful by comparison.
Tengus are awesome and I will fight you.

Internet Kraken posted:

Or better yet, remove neither.
This is the right answer.

Edit: poo poo, I could have been happy at leaving maces at +1. Ogres are a hard enough start with no armor and bad dodging without taking away the ability to get a great club up and going so you can use offense as a defense.

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Dec 14, 2016

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Haifisch posted:

Tengu are awesome if you like dying to a stiff breeze while using the worst early game school of magic. (Or pure conjurations, but if you're going to do that, why not just play DE?)
DEs don't get flying with a speed and evasion boost on top.

Tengus also ain't an elf, which is always a plus.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

IronicDongz posted:

How? It makes investing into magic much easier as Og while making weapon choice very slightly less of a no brainer.

See my post about offense as defense on an ogre. You won't have any real AC for awhile unless you luck into a dragon armour or good AC ring. You can buff up your HP with fighting but that only goes so far when your evasion sucks and each hit is not being reduced by armour. Your best defense is being able to get maces to about 12 early on so you can one or two hit most things with a big piss off stick before they kill you in four hits. The magic apt buff helps a little, but that is delaying the club again which, well, sucks.

Overall, it will make ogres a better end game race at the cost of an even harder start. And seeing as ogres were already powerful end game I don't see a point.

Also, weapon choice is still no brainer seeing as almost all ogres are still going to aim for gsc.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Speleothing posted:

Can I pause this argument for a moment to confirm the consensus that Ogres need a positive (+1 or better) M&F apt?
I done made my case, but yes.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Tengu, except you can't use charms, hexes, translocations, or transmutations. OK, so they're not flexible, but you can still use conjurations. Also your HP will be 10% lower and you can't use helmets or boots.

e: you can fly and peck things with your beak though.
Hey, the flying gives you faster running speed and 20% evasion buff on top getting to ignore the little issues water and lava cause.

I may or may not be a tengu in reality and that is the reason I defend them so.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

cheetah7071 posted:

Rename Tengu to crabfolk, reflavor flight as scuttling, give them back their helmet slot and remove glove slot (pincers)
Why ya got to hurt me so?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Please let us know when ya' splat to something easily avoidable.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Bring back shadow traps and only allow them to appear in lung entrances.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

code:
Found a dark tunnel.
You swap places.
You swap places.
Your transformation is almost over.
Press: ? - help, v - describe, . - travel
Here: a lindwurm
The floor.
You fall through a shaft!
The shaft crumbles and collapses.
You hear a distant snort.
Hark! There is an entrance to a minotaur's labyrinth on this level. Find the entrance quickly before the gate is sealed!
Welp, guess I ain't doing that Volcano, but hey, I like Labyrinths more anyways.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Is TSO really stronger in extended than, say, makhleb or zin, assuming you've found a decent holy wrath weapon of some sort? It's commonly expressed but I don't really get it. Is rN+ really that hard to come by? Would changing it from three pips to one or two be enough to push other gods over the edge? I don't really play extended and can't speak from experience, but I don't see the appeal of TSO once you have the one-time gift.
TSO is an amazing god for extended and my go to for melee charters that can take 'em. It's not the rN+ that makes them useful (though if resists have been poor it doesn't hurt) and not so much the making a holy weapon but the Cleansing Flame, Allies, and HP/MP healing on evil kills. Seeing as pretty much all of extended is demon or undead your angel buddies and holy fire will destroy anything you come against all the while staying in tip top shape with each abomination slain.

Except for Holy Pan/Zigs. Then you will die to smiting.

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 21, 2016

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I guess I see makhleb as doing those things but better, especially for a melee character who isn't so mp dependent but can really use the extra hp.

You do need the MP, but only because Cleansing Flame costs 5mp. The piety cost is low enough that you can spam it as what it kills will be gaining you more.

Don't know, just like 'em.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Wild Magic can kill you around the mid point of the game if is makes your main offensive spells to be no longer castable.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Item destruction sucked and I'm glad it's gone. Hell, I'm glad jellies can't eat items anymore. Creating a stash in lair and dropping everything because I saw an ice beast was tedious.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I volunteer to fix all bad fixedarts and also create lots of new good ones.
Bring back Crown of Ete...

Internet Kraken posted:

I've got this idea for a fixedart called the Crown of Eternal Torment.
Yeah, thank ya'

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Can Felids get pounce back then?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Darth Windu posted:

Ugh so idiotic. Tengu are garbage melee fighters!!!
Tengu are just fine as melee. -20% HP is not that big of a deal and their apts are great for hybrid or reaver characters.

Also flying and the bonuses that come from it.

vOv posted:

So what's the new blasty caster race?
Same as it ever was, Tengus. :colbert:

PleasingFungus posted:

PS: tengu, are good

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

LordSloth posted:

0.16 was the first version with a win rate of over 1% as far as I can track
Was 0.16 the version where the double melee damage bug made it out of trunk?

Internet Kraken posted:

Plus I'm confident tengu have an even worse winrate than high elves do.
I'm partially responsible for that if it is.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Beamed posted:

Been a few versions since I played crawl, have they made DemiGods or Mummies fun to play yet?
Well, when Pakellas was in, mummies were alright to play.

But Pake only survived one version so oh well.

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Internet Kraken posted:

To encourage more drawing I thought I would do a sketch of every monster that kills me, but then I realized I'd be drawing a lot of adders and jackals.

Here are some spooky ghosts instead.

I love all the art ya have done from the game. The felid was probably my favorite.

• Locked thread