Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I, for one, am sad over the halfling hybrid nerf. Also what up with the two copies of Antaeus in the OP's pic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Maxwells is great! Just... not on a freaking *Be, you know it's stasis stops the berserk speed boost, right?

Edit: not stasis, just -tele? my bad! Was it ever otherwise?

Serephina fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Nov 6, 2016

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Is that a vault? Please tell me that's a vault. Because that is loving amazing.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

So many bad ideas, the foremost being blinking into an unknown vault rather than just safely tabbing the elephants from across the lava

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Veh just offered my DECj spellforged servitor; I took it on a lark despite my only experience with it being hugely negative (gross antisynergy with ChainLit and Tornado). With haste now gone (and me ruing my charms investment for Battlesphere), is this actually a good spell anymore? It seems absurdly limiting in order to get it work (the HUGE pruning of own spellbook with super-limited amnesia scrolls) only to get a few extra casts of Parrow/Iood/LCS?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'm one of those weirdos that actually enjoyed item destruction massively and thinks crawl is lesser of a game without it. But then I also love Sil, which apparently is equivalent to drawing a line in the sand when it comes to certain crawn devs ;p I really do wonder what type of game crawl would have been if Henzell hadn't abandoned it; his vision was really driving and prolific, and I see a lot of his experimental gameplay ideas lambasted, but things like 'victory dancing' where revised in later games (eg Garden of Coloured Lights) to amazing effect.

Regarding dpeg, his opinions here are to be valued, not everyone is trawling through (or even party-to) the private dev logs for trunk. The backlash seems most ppl idolizing him as all crawl devs, since forever, in single form and lashing out at it. It's nice when other RLs are able to have all discussion sit in a single forum (Sil) with devs, old hands, and newbies all chewing the fat. Don't chase him away, please and thank you.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

cheetah7071 posted:

Everybody's favorite is going to be axed in the next commit. Fortunately, we can all still play Halflings.

I love halflings. Or loved, past tense. I see utterly no point to the race since they murdered their hybrid stats. This, combined with the HE removal, makes me wonder wtf they are trying to do here.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Remember, Tengu's might&magic mixing is known as Reavers; it's so distinctive that the Tengu monsters have it as their theme, and so lovely for player characters to attempt that the Reaver starting background was axed and even the most rabid anti-content-cutters [raises own hand] nodded in agreement.

Now, if this was given an excuse to introduce some new Conjuration spells that synergize with melee (like a battlesphere and spectral weapon glued together), and also magically fix the hybrid-buff situation, I'd think we'd all be happy. Wishes ,wishes...

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I think it was just Cocytus & Anteus.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Darth Windu posted:

I was definitely getting red poisoned in snake

I think rPois has been nerfed down to 50% resist chance down from like 90% where it was ages ago. It's still necessary and strong, but far from immunity.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

I like Dgs and I agree almost completely, but I feel the solution is probably even simpler: Just remove their negative xp apt and let them level at +0, that's probably enough to tip their power curve back into fun territory again.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Crawl is complicated? Hardly. It's obfuscated, which is a different matter entirely.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

SKULL.GIF posted:

This is something that we've spent years trying to fix. It is an explicit design goal to reduce this obfuscation.

Pardon, that wasn't meant to be a criticism, it's just what Crawl is, and yes newer versions have inarguably gotten so much better at this. But still a long way from stuff like Brogue, Sil, DoomRL, etc.

Honestly, the best thing that could (but isn't going to) happen to DCSS is to either burn it to the ground and recode from scratch with an aim to preserve all gameplay, or for Henzell to come out of retirement, cry out "What have you fools DONE?!" and quickly binge-code things back into a unified vision. Fanciful fantasies aside, DCSS is grinding along just fine considering how drat old it is, and the revolving door of active devs.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Normally I'm just one to grumble and ignore dumb changes, but I just had a relevant experience:
Played DgTm who found repel missiles at dlvl2, and immediately thought to myself "I'm never going to be able to cast this, xp is too tight as a Dg". One could argue that Dg is a challenge race, but talking about optional player-chosen challenges is the very antithesis of "Optimal" play; if we are designing around optimal choices only, then anything that's not a power combo must be cut from the game, or inversely, all good races (Mi, etc) are to be cut. Maybe this was a contributing reason to why HE got cut? Who knows, I liked the race, and it's not as if I'll ever get to play it again with a current build. Going back to Repel Missles, yes, it's a good spell, duh, that's why I use it when available. It's a low level utility spell. Low level non-utlility spells, ie nukes, are perfectly fine being obsoleted and undesirable as a later-game find, but the whole concept of utility spells is that they are there to be, um, utile. Not everyone CAN or wants to get it online such as melee bruisers, ppl with xp issues, or both.

Vaguely related: remember when charms where so gloriously OP that they had to be split into two schools? And now we have chat about how charms is borderline worthless, as literally everything of value is being stripped from it...

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

SKULL.GIF posted:

1. This is because the actual accuracy is dependent on what kind of monster you're hitting. See #4
2. We don't show that because it leads to players trying to math out their actions. "This monster has extremely high AC" is sufficient information, IMO, as is "This monster has 80-120 HP".
3, 4. Where would this be displayed, hypothetically? xv? Do you really want to xv monsters all the time to check accuracy? For hexes and such you're already targeting the monster you want to hex, so it's easy to show the expected hit rate. Melee combat works differently.
6, 7. This seems reasonable, but not very useful because damage is affected by AC/resistances.
8. This seems reasonable -- it makes fighting in a crowd a lot less confusing. In a 1v1 you know exactly how much damage you took that turn and from who. With multiples it quickly becomes difficult to identify who's doing the most damage.

I'd like to take time out to thank SKULL.GIF for actually contributing level headed feedback from a dev in the face of SA's known hostility. Thank you.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Or start stealing out of Sil's book. Or just play Sil, because there's more than one roguelike out there, more are being made every year, and you don't have to play crawl if you don't want.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
My last post-game character actually died to a tomb. Well, he more realistically died from the lack of rMut, and degeneration put him in a negative feedback spiral where he'd get tormented, stat drained, have to fight guys to get rid of the negative stats, then get tormented again... I do not approve of that particular poo poo sandwich of malmut, lack of rMut, changes to degen, and lack of potions of restoration. Grumble.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
On one hand, Tomb being an ancient unchanging branch with no variations has some serious meta flavor. On the other hand, turning tomb into a one-way journey with the rational that you're being locked in there for all eternity is both amazingly fluff-y, and fits quite strongly with the post-endgame pseudo-theme of one-way endurance runs. Do it, dpeg!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
So, uh, does anyone else see the similarity to Sil's combat perks with the new god? Lunge and Whirlwind are basically Sil's Charge and Flanking. I mean I get that there are only so many ways of spicing up meele combat in a RL, but still

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

PleasingFungus posted:

it's hosed up and i won't stand for it

Outstanding! Glad to see the voice of reason prevailing.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Floodkiller, I'm very interested in seeing the xp math behind the cyno changes (I can't play myself, too lazy to set up a tty). When I first heard of them as a +5 apt race with a cap at 12, I was excited, as it's basically gnollcrawl but more midgame-ish. But now, I just can't get excited about basically a race with +1 to get to skill lvl12, then negative infinity past that. What sort of characters are ppl playing with those apts?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

LordSloth posted:

Shoals is a pretty decent source of javelins

You're a funny, funny man

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
100% your own drat fault? We just had a conversation on how comically unlikely it is to get hosed by cursed items in modern day crawl. You literally tried on a item of unknown curse status, knowing you had no remove curse scrolls, in the middle of combat no less.

Or maybe I'm misreading your post and you're actually being self-deprecating - Then yes, good work, you don hosed up, put a frame on it!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
You don't have enough MR, but you already know this it seems.

Honestly, after rPois, or even arguably ahead of it, MR is the most important resist to get, and just keep getting more of. gently caress rF/rC/etc, I'd rather run around with 0 elemental resists and a full MR bar than the other way around. lacking one makes you frail, lacking the other outright kills you.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Oh absolutely, to me an early source of rPois is a 'thank god' moment for everything you said, I mentioned it for just that reason, as it's such a noteworthy thing to have which even many newer players will recognize, but might not know how freaking important that subtle MR stat is

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Nah, why put kiddie gloves on it? It used to just outright murder you when it did the equivalent of draining you to zero. All those good times from D:1 draining daggers resulting in MiFi's getting two shot, ah the good ol' days

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea I just had that ice cave the other day, I just assumed their tiles where ice devils until my hp instantly hit red. Fun times!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

taqueso posted:

that is one nice hat

Hat of the alchemist is the very reason why I don't play Minotaurs anymore; almost every MiFi I roll finds that loving hat, and ones that don't usually find something just as good (I can't help myself but to burn ID scrolls). gently caress slot limited races, forever.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Hot take: capstone one-off god gifts should be super-special rather than just a brand, kind of like how TSO hands out otherwise-undroppable blessed triple blades etc.

So what I'm saying is that Kiku's gift should probably give pain and vamp. Just to be special.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Council god giving explicitly stronger melee abilities sounds a-ok. There is a very big decision for using them over tabbing: your opportunity cost as a god. Whirlwind being better than tabbing is fine, because heroism and tabbing is stronger than just tabbing, TSO's halo and holy brand and tabbing is stronger than just tabbing, and so on. Also, Tab was invented&implemented for the very reason that dcss has super boring melee combat with a huge midgame slog (the latter is being addressed). So council god's decision making is a bit more meta; it's taxing your brainpower to play optimally.

I'd rather have strong optional content added instead of more felids.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Princey posted:

So I just got my second rune with a DEWz, and I have literally never gotten a caster even close to this far before, so I am left awkwardly wondering what to do next and simultaneously terrified of loving up.

Any tips/suggestions/help?

Probably Elf, you have enough MR/dps for it. Master archers will be the highest threat, so are you normally ok v projectiles? Also stop training spellcasting holy cow.

Depths is dangerous but predictable otherwise.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
#2 seems like a bad idea since wasn't there a push a while ago to make noise a bit more transparent by removing those very things? Or I might be completely wrong because who the hell knows what crawl mechanics are ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Also, could people just shut up about Singularity already?

It's a poor hill to die on. The game was great before Singularity's existence, it's great after, and during it's implementation only a tiny subset of players got to cast that particular lvl9 spell so it wasn't even rocking the boat. It was axed since everything that made it good was also what made it broken, minor tweaks weren't going to fix that.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Re: hitting hydras with non-flaming weapons; Yes, a +10 battleaxe and 40+ AC will chop hydras plenty fast. I think they only heal 1d8 per head regrown. Also berserk gives 1d5 extra damage, so....

(protip: if trogolyte w/o flaming weapons, when you first find hydras, you can drop a book and use divine book burning to kill them while tanking, a plate mail should be enough to keep you have 2/3hp as you do this)

edit: grammar

Serephina fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Mar 11, 2017

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Mu. posted:

I played a Wu Jian character the other day and I did not understand what I was supposed to be doing but I just walked around giant groups of enemies in big circles like a huge retard and everything died, including me.
[...]
In conclusion, I have no idea what Ashenzari does. Thank you for reading.

This is great, your posts are great, thank you.

And I'm honestly tempted to put the 2-3 posters who are generating 80% of the new posts on ignore, holy poo poo shut up.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

gammafunk posted:

Part of learning the game is learning how to evaluate weapons. We don't want to use apts mostly as indicators to new players to do or not do a specific thing, but rather for there to be different decisions to make as you choose different species and classes. There are instances where species don't do this well (Merfolk, Trolls), and those things tend to get looked at and adjusted over time.

I don't think GC/GSC are really problematic, but it might be nice if Trolls would consider something other than UC. You would probably have to nerf claws in some way, which could be reasonable.

Other than the GC/GSC issue, clubs/LBs/axes are totally identical. Short Blades have stab, polearms have an incredibly tedious optimal use scenario (that at odds with the dcss credo), staves are balanced in the same way poison magic is, and short blades are off doing their own thing. But clubs/LBs/axes are a totally generic hit-guy-with-stick skill with some very tiny perks. As much as I love Axe's cleave and personally prefer them, it's hardly character-defining. Giving any species a different apt in these skill from each other is a almost false choice (if that's the right term); barring a spectacular drop like an early enough unrandart, the player is going with the best weapon apt and never look back. It's a 'no-brainer'. So what floodkiller said;

Floodkiller posted:

It's easier for them to just pick the biggest number and stick with it regardless of luck, spending their time learning other things about the game. From my own experiences, I only really learned to mess around with using the lower weapon aptitudes on a species through meta accomplishments like playing Nem Choices in tournaments and attempting win streaks, not from any actual learning/pressure in the game itself. If this is a goal that is being aimed for, I think it would be better accomplished by just merging all the weapons (except maybe Unarmed) into a single Melee Weapons aptitude for each species.

rchandra posted:

This sounds bad, as then every character would want to carry a weapon of each type for the special abilities.
That exact scenario isn't actually all that bad! Weapon and combat sytle switching is fun and all that. But maybe not in this traditional roguelike.

As an aside, the tern 'no-brainer' being pushed with nothing but negative connotations, and as a thing to be avoided at all costs, can/has been taken too far, imo. Everything in moderation and all that. There are umpteen scenarios that a player reflexively makes the best choice because the alternative is laughable. "I'm a DE^Veh in zot and a GDA just dropped, I have 5 armour and 2 str, should I wear it?' - And so on, all trivial. Which leads us to species apts: some species are terrible at certain things. Decisions are being made about how to build your char before the first turn. Big decisions. The @ spawns with customized apts, xp, god, and inventory - this sure as hell isn't brogue. So when two major items drop early, the player already has an idea of which he wants to commit into. No need to act as if a meaningful choice is needed every step of the way. 'No-brainer' can be seen as having clearly communicated mechanics and pathways.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Mar 24, 2017

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

SKULL.GIF posted:

You can fork Crawl!

I've seen this mentioned a few times in the past few days, and I'm not sure if it's intentional, ironic, or unknowing of it's subtext: "It's my way or the highway" or more modernly "You will like it, or gently caress off". It was a common approach to any criticism on a GNU/linux project for a long time, and a user who is questioning an implementation or other issue might have a very valid concern, but be in no position to tackle the gargantuan task of forking and maintaining literally anything. It's especially odious for a project as large and legacy-bound as crawl; not even the most prolific code contributor would want to take on 100% of everything, which forking implies. I can understand the fustration feelings of being unappreciated that comes with all the public criticism, but if you want to tell someone to shut their pie-hole, just say so ;p

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The scary part is they used to be better.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

tote up a bags posted:

Speaking of, is there any reason to ever take slings past 14? Isn't that mindelay for all of them?

I once cleared out hellion island using an old-fashioned sling and 27 in the skill. It does its job just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
gently caress you, I miss spores and their colonies, that poo poo was great.

I also enjoy item destruction, so what I'm saying here is maybe I should go play IVAN?

• Locked thread