Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Why so serious about stealth archery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Why are so many of you so concerned with Andromeda tying into ME3's ending? Do you really want this new game to drag around the corpse of the old one?
ME3 made a lot of interesting and significant changes to the lore before the last ten minutes. It just kinda sucks to have those kinds of things blinked out, like...are they gonna re-cure the Krogans and Quarians again?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Yeah I feel like they're really similar to the Collectors, design-wise. Less sleek, more organic, blah blah etc.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Most of that doesn't sound "new"...in fact, you could tell someone that the article was about ME1 and I doubt they'd catch on for a long time.

But then, I do like the idea of reintroducing some of those features, just a bit more polished and streamlined than they were in ME1. The enemy bases on different planets, for instance, seem reminiscent of the old planetary outposts you would come across...but it'd be cool to mix that with the ME3 combat system. The planet-based mega-bosses sound fun, too...I'm down for hunting some Thresher Maws again.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I didn't have a M-920 Cain when I fought those dragons. :c00lbert:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Romance path with EA was cut from final product due to lack of production time, sorry.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Alain Post posted:

I'm going to say that the idea of the climax of Mass Effect being "Kill the big bad Reaper to win" is like, self-evidently bad. It's not just a case of it not being creative enough, though it sure as poo poo isn't creative.
Nah I would've liked to kill the big bad Reaper. I would absolutely have liked to shoot seven thousand bullets at it, or perhaps one really big bullet, and have it blow up.

That would've been profoundly, self-evidently better than any ending where I do not get to kill the big bad Reaper.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Where...where is the loving.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

VJeff posted:

Going out of their way to show multiple sync kills seems like a big ol' middle finger to anybody who played ME3 multi a lot. Like, "Remember all the fun you had with those Banshees? Yeah that's still in."
It actually, unironically filled me with a bit of bittersweet nostalgia. Like, ahhh, sync kills; here's the Mass Effect I know and love. It seriously made me wanna do multiplayer again.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

New Andromeda Initiative video.

Really comprehensive info on the Arks and the Nexus. Very reminiscent of the Citadel in most ways, to be honest...but lore stuff like this gets me more excited than a dozen NEW poo poo trailers.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

How do I stop myself from seeing and hearing "Peepee"

Please.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Ryders' voice-actors. Being quippy.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I liked the Jade Empire combat. Turning people into bonsai formations and then exploding them was a hoot.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Benezia had eyebrows too.

You weird fucks.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I like crafting because it's usually more customization options and customization options are good.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Fat necks is a pretty big turn off here so I will, alas, not be kissing that.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Wanna chomp on those mandibles

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

When is omni-gel making a comeback?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Oh yeah, it would make sense that there's no Milky Way-based ammo just lying around random planets you explore on Andromeda for you to reload with.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Yeah I'm really still definitely not feeling Catflaps as a species design. 2/10 would betray

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

that monacle

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Drifter posted:

How is it badly designed?
I can only speak to how I personally find it unappealing from a design perspective, but I'll give it a shot:

Right off the bat it doesn't seem to be able to make up its mind about whether it wants to feel mammalian or amphibious. Is it a cat or a frog? In design and animation terms, exaggeration is better than trying to be shrewd or subtle. If you want it to feel like a cat, then really push the cat aspects; fur, fans, whiskers, claws. If you want it to be a frog then go hard or go home; webbed anatomy, spots and patterns on the skin, glistening bulbous eyes. A catfrog is nothing. It's...it's just not a thing. And so by trying to be a catfrog, this too becomes just nothing.

The overall silhouette of the species is just kinda weird and blobby -- the most distinctive part is probably their draped jacket thingies -- and it's hard to say what conceptual niche they're supposed to fit into in this game world. Like, what role do we think Jaal is going to play in the party, based solely on this design? Is he a soldier guy, a tech guy, or a biotic guy? The bulky head and broad torso say "bruiser," but the predator's eyes and legs say "agile." It's really different from the other playable ME species where, like, you can take one look at them and come away with a basic idea of what their designer wants you to think they are.

The more I look at it the more the parts kinda contradict each other visually. Jaal's face in general is very angular and sharp, with a clear-cut "V"-shape...but then it's framed with those curved, soft-sinuous ear flaps. Again, compare with alien designs that have a clear idea of what they're trying to do: Turian faces are clearly sharp and bony and edged, Salarians are lithe and soft and uncluttered. Angaran faces are trying to do both, but only doing both halfway.

And speaking of which: what are those ear flaps actually for? It's the most distinctively alien part of them but it doesn't seem to serve any actual purpose than to just...hang there.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Very supportive hips.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

The daddy issues are coming from inside the house!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Mymla posted:

For alien characters I think it's super weird to have gender restricted romances. If you want to gently caress Garrus or Tali, you're a xenophile before you're gay or straight, and the same goes for them.
The problem here is that aliens in the ME Milky Way galaxy -- and maybe across the ME universe itself -- conform very much towards gendered identities and biology. They refer to themselves and each other as men and women, they use and maintain gendered pronouns and titles, and (as far as romanceable species go) they resemble comparably-human standards of sexual dimorphism. Even their voices are recognizably gendered. The closest we get to bucking these trends is with Liara calling herself monogendered, but that's frankly a very misleading moniker because the Asari are basically the most observably-gendered species in the whole franchise.

It's completely conceivable for straight men and lesbians to be attracted to characters like Liara and Tali, because they are women by any pertinent definition of the term. It's very unrealistic for straight women and gay men to feel the same.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

No, no one has ever said this.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

One hand chopping lettuces at waist-height to emphasize point.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Speaking of which, very important info from today's infodump

quote:

a chief engineer called Gil Brodie, who enjoys Male Ryder’s flirting.
According to the Natalie Dormer video, we know Gil is played by Gethin Anthony.

Basically, Renly Baratheon confirmed gay-bangable in space.

:shepface:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

The bro character is probably your actual bro.

Or sis!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I mean...y'all remember ME1, right? The planet environments were massive. We're talking thirty or so environments that were all easily the scale of DA:I Hissing Wastes.

With the caveat that, yes, most of the zones were just environments without a lot of content. If ME:A balances out the ratio of playable planets to actual planetary content, I've no problems believing that even the smallest planets are going to be colossal exploration zones.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Number Ten Cocks posted:

To "see what happens." It's hard to see what happens centuries from now in another galaxy. :colbert:

How much would you spend to send smarter, prettier, younger, healthier people to do it, is the question. And you can only send data back centuries later, which isn't very useful to the people deciding to fund it today.
Or...you could just go with them. There's plenty of room on the Arks.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

They've been researching the Andromeda galaxy already. Just like how NASA today just found a bunch of potentially-habitable planets by looking through their science computers, the Andromeda Initiative know what habitable planets are supposed to be there.

The first mission of the game is you arriving at one of those habitable planets to find that something has gone wrong with it. But that doesn't mean they had "zero information" about it in the first place.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

In regards to exploring the other habitable planets within the Milky Way itself: presumably there are people trying to do that anyway. But this game isn't about them. This game is about the ones who aren't doing that. Here's a wacky idea to ponder: both can actually happen.

Also, 600 years might sound like an indescribably long time to you, you anthropomorphic bag of dicks, but it's easily within the lifetimes of other races like Asari and Krogan.

Admiral Ray posted:

those planets are only 40 lights years away. Technically we could (not with any telescopes we have now or will have for, like, 100 years) look at Andromeda and see "resource rich planets" but that light/radio waves/whatever is 2.5 million years old. That data would be basically useless for figuring if a place was worth sending an expedition to. that doesn't mean you don't go, but i will notice and then forget pretty quickly if these super mild issues aren't addressed in Mass Effect: Shoot Mans and gently caress Friends 4.
Supposition: There is technology in the Mass Effect universe that allows you to gather data from other galaxies in real-time.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 27, 2017

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Admiral Ray posted:

Nah, they didn't have that poo poo to warn them about the Reapers invading (hence why Earth was taken by surprise), still had to rely on lovely regular LIDAR and RADAR and stuff.
Reapers aren't exactly planets. And they were hiding.

Like, by this line of thought, the Alliance should've been able to find the Reapers by the time they made it to Pluto because we can observe Pluto.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I liked the baby Reaper. If I had my way more things in this series would look like Gradius bosses.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Biotics.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I'm glad the Ryders are short. Makes them more relatable.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

guess we should ask the mods to close the thread in the meantime?
Absofuckinglutely

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Generic American posted:

Looks like we finally have a first look at some of the multiplayer variety, at least.

Buh...are we allowed to customize those faces, or are those the predetermined faces for each individual class-gender character? Like if you want to play the male human Sentinel then you just have to have that specific face?

edit: gently caress

Don't know if I wanna pre-order now :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

McGiggins posted:

Am I the only one that sees this?

Good luck not seeing it now, motherfuckers.
I will indeed have good luck not seeing it now, because they don't look anything alike. :confused: