Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Played for a few minutes, and the biggest complaint I have so far is that the intro being unskippable is pointless, as well as having that long flight be unskippable as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Found my first properly gamebreaking bug. Saving on Eos in particular places means you can't load those saves properly. It tries, but never manages to.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

There's something broken about making guns sometimes. Either that or the areas I was in had way too high levels for me to be there or something. When I made a Widow with a legacy heatsink, I only got a single shot before overheating. Which would've been fine if it had done absolutely any damage. I'm not saying it did very little damage, I mean it did no damage at all. Straight up headshots did not affect health whatsoever.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Nope, just confirmed: My newly crafted Black Widow 3 with Legacy heatsink does zero damage.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

SgtSteel91 posted:

And it has to cool down after one shot?

Is it a bug maybe? If not, why would they make it that bad?

Presuming a bug. I tried slapping one of those extended clips on it to get more shots out of "heatsinks", but it did nothing.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Yeah, I think a lot of weapon crafting is just bugged as gently caress. I noticed that Beam weapons that have the same LISTED damage as non-beam weapons do much less actual damage and initially assumed it was just a bizarre design decision, but the more I think about it I think the whole system just received almost zero testing... like basically everything else in the game :sigh:

For now I'd just stick to guns with conventional ammo and seeking plasma, which seem to work normally (seeking plasma is more likely to hit but much less likely to headshot).

This also explains why Vintage Heatsinks is incredibly good on some guns (the Scattershot) and utter garbage on others. It's too bad, I really WANTED to like this system.

It is really unfortunate because it took me ages to find the proper material to craft some of these. Would've been so fun to see what the guns actually did in the end. Presuming it is just some variable someplace not being added correctly.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The memory triggers you find indicate the initiative had a secret backer, who sent someone to murder the director after they woke up , either because they were going to blow the lid on the backer and they had sent someone along to handle that situation or because , well, some sort of secret plan or something. I have not seen all the memories yet but the backer knew about the reapers and isn't afraid to murder people so presumably it was TIM.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Having played it for a few days, I can say the writing is very thin so far. Not exactly bad aside from a few noteable cases, but certainly lacking in terms of weight for most story beats so far. It feels rushed in terms of the main story which is strange because there is no real reason it should be. I have visited 4 planets so far and most of them are just full of busywork and story events which, while important feel lacking in depth. Having now seen all the hidden memories I get the feeling someone with a very basic set of notes for mass effect and the story it tells was behind this.

Not that it is entirely bad, but the meat of the story so far is only hinted at and it is giving me flashbacks to the new Deus ex and how it was obviously missing story stuff.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Skippy McPants posted:

To raise the system percentage to 100.

That is all.

This is entirely true from what I have played. The waiting time is because they decided to use planetary models of some sort that required some loading and it coincides with them hiding loading screens with landing scenes.

All it REALLY does is make me tab down and do something else while I wait. I have an SSD so the actual loading only takes at most 5 seconds.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Taear posted:

You know, if it didn't hang at the planet to show me sort of....a weird screenshot of it then I'd be fine. Oh, and zooming into the planet I'm leaving to go on the way to the new planet. The zooming up I can accept, it's going to a corner of it then zooming out again that bothers me. It's so minor but those minor things just build up and up.

It just exists to pad out the playtime or to hide a bad system. But it does so in a very bad way that makes you not want to switch between areas to do other things. Inquisition did this better and that was still not really great.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I am several days into the game and realize I have never used Favorites , ever. It may be partially because one of my skills decided to stop existing for a moment. That is, it sucked up a bunch of skillpoints but never gave them back. So I just stuck with the ones I know I can keep and I am doing ok on Insanity.

Edit: Full disclosure, it happened after I tried giving myself more skillpoints via editing the skill point value, so it may just be the game thwacking me over the nose for trying to cheat.

On the other hand I am also hearing reports of the game shutting down because stats have been altered in singleplayer with an error message of "tampering" something, meaning the game is checking if you cheat outside of multiplayer.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 26, 2017

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

If the dialogue wheel has a problem here it is that it lacks a lot of responses and it becomes very apparent when dealing with people where you need subtlety. It makes the two responses, which are basically "ordered" and "emotional" seem very sparse and lacking, especially when doing stuff like debating philosophy and your only responses are "Wow your religion is dumb" and "I think so too" . It is especially frustrating when DA:I had very similar systems but made better use of them and even let you tailor your responses to a particular end goal (that wasn't just paragon or renegade), even when the responses themselves did not matter that much for that particular conversation.

Once again that makes me come back to my initial complaint about the game feeling not so much unpolished so much as just unfinished. Large chunks seem to be missing or not done to spec.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Why is Element Zero in Andromeda if it was something the Reapers created? Or did they just discover it like everyone else lying around and stuff?

Also in the Contagion quest how did a shuttle fly between several star systems I thought you needed a big drive core for that and shuttles were just for planetary drops?

How is the refinery in Dracks mission really old when humans have only been around for a few years?

Why didn't Ryder just blow up the facility after they evacuated the angarans what was stopping him or even the other saboteurs? Why is Addison never fired for massive incompetence?

The loyalty missions are fun though.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

MoaM posted:

Eugh, there's a glitch when you die during the last part of Vetra's loyalty mission. You get stuck in a room with no exit.

Got that same glitch. And then I got a glitch where the colonists would not move after me into the safe area, so I had to skip that solution.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I would say any that are good at removing shields or armor. And who can survive for the longest. Either Cora buffing your shields, or Vetra soaking damage for sure. After that I'd possibly get Drack so he can go around burning down nullifiers and surviving the carnage.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh wow, Voeld Angaran doctor, you say your people are suffering and just bitch at us for not having anything to help you?

If only we had a genetically-engineered compound capable of sealing and sterlizing wounds and broken bones that worked cross-species and is so amazingly useful the Citadel Counc had no choice but to exempt it from their millenia-old ban on genetic engineering. Oh wait, even Ryder's shrugging his shoulders at this so I guess the writers forgot about Medigel too.

It might have to be given calibrated data to work on races it hasn't been tested on yet.

But yes, we DO have medigel and I doubt it would take several years or even months to test on a population riven by war and conflict.

Edit: I know it is an entirely pointless bother by myself because it exists for gameplay purposes, but finding Alliance boxes of heatsinks, powercells and medigel down in unopened Remnant vaults bothers me in a way finding medkits in the original Doom's hell levels does not.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Mar 28, 2017

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Kurieg posted:

If you bring Peebee out on missions with Drak you find out that, except for her father, her mother mated exclusively with other Asari, and all of her older sisters are stuck up purebloods, which is why she doesn't get along with more traditional Asari.

Peebee's dad is an Elcor

Wait why would purebloods be stuck up, asari shun them because they perceive their genetics to be stunted and create asari vampires?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Lollerich posted:

They didn't, it's byproduct of supernovae. This was explained in ME by the glorious journal narrator.

This is canon, your shuttle in the beginning of ME3 was also capable of interstellar flight.

Angarans.

Bad writing.

Confirmed.

In all sincerity, thank you. Some of these mostly had me confused as I was playing and with everything else going on in the game I'm prone to missing stuff.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Just tried my 4th crafting attempt for weaponry. They all come out doing significantly less damage than my current weapon or none at all.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Are you adding mods like Vintage Heatsink or Beam? Those two in particular seem broke as gently caress when added to weapons not intended for them (Beam Weapons are worthless REGARDLESS, Heatsink just causes some weird problems esp. with sniper rifles). If you want recommendations the Hurricane and Piranha are the best all around pistol and shotgun respectively, and the Sweeper is a pretty decent AR which has heat-based built in so it actually uses the mechanic correctly.

The weird thing is that crafting seems entirely broken for some people, weirdly off but still manageable for other (me, for ex.) and working perfectly fine for some. Like I'm having a problem where the listed damage numbers don't seem accurate at all, but the guns I make in crafting actually WORK at least, whereas I've heard from three or four people now saying the guns they craft literally do no damage. Just another thing that didn't get tested at all, I guess.

Yeah, most of my weapons go for either the vintage or switches the type in some way. I tried without it though and still got issues.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Lollerich posted:

If you want more damage, you need to add Kinetic augmentations. My Dhan VI Shotgun deals >1K damage per shot.

I've encountered several fucks in ME:A.
Two were from Ryder.
One from that Asari scientist that you take the drug formula away from, that woman was angry LOL. If that had been Shepard instead of Ryder she'd be dead though.
Another was from that other human scientist that you hunt through the cluster and I won't spoil her story, because it's kind if cute.
There might have been more, they don't overdo it and in a game that is probably more than 80 hours long if you really try to do "everything", it still feels kind of rare and takes you by surprise, which seems like an O.K frequency for fucks.

I mean that they do less damage than guns I made of lower tiers. It has some kind of bugs going on when you craft guns where sometimes you get the right amount of damage, sometimes way less and sometimes absolutely 0 when tested on enemies.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

SgtSteel91 posted:

Which platform are you playing on?

PC.

It really is a shame that only non-crafted guns seem to work. So many cool options I'm missing out on :(

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

So still the Krogan, then.

Vorcha, always and forever.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Haledjian posted:

Hahah

Mithrava: This is a sacred place, aliens are not permitted here

Ryder: My bad

Ryder: *puts a forward station in it*

That was my thought too. I'm not sure dropping a jetfuel-spewing radio station with guns in it is all that respectful of the Angaran beliefs.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I am pretty amazed at getting congratulations from Meridian when gaining 100 percent viability on all outpost planets, considering I haven't visited it yet.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Ok. I've now got nearly 80 hours in it, a large portion of which was spent just going from place to place or waiting on loading stuff. I've done pretty much every single task and mission I can, looked through most points of interest and even did the movie night, which frankly was my favorite point of the game because the characters finally showed some non-stilted humanity.

The story does a thing near the end where it basically tallies and reminds you of all the events you've taken part in and allies you've gathered, like pretty much every Bioware game in the last decade did. It should be a triumphant moment but it falls flat, just as the Archon's speeches. The last fight was properly challenging and fun though, especially on Insanity.

Going back and looking at the game I can't say I didn't have some fun, but the game suffers badly from being so lacking in properly interesting content. It isn't even that it is open world that is the issue, the problem is that the content that is there is so haphazard and disconnected and frankly not very interesting that there's no real sense of wonder when exploring. A few quests and tasks start dipping into real-life issues or just interesting sci-fi tropes but they never really go anywhere beyond setup for future games. It is too familiar in too many ways and if it weren't for some really nice tough choices to partake in there'd be no real reason to get invested in the story at all.

As for characters, they are pretty darn shallow for the most part. Jaal is fun to take around for the loredumping, but the only characters with any depth to them are Drack and Vetra. Liam tries very hard to be funny and energetic and isn't. PB is a walking trope. Cora is professional but is mostly just boring. Kallo is the only non-party crew member that is any fun to talk to, beyond a few moments with Lexi.

The combat, when it works, is frantic and fun. When it doesn't work, it gets sluggish, janky and annoying. Playing on Insanity means I'm going to be seeing problems people playing on Normal won't, like certain enemies being damage sponges rather than difficult. The absolute worst fights in the game were against the Kett Ascendant. Not because they were hard, but because killing them took forever since the small window after you break their shield doesn't let you do a lot of damage on higher difficulties, so the fights could at times last nearly as long as fights against Architects, this game's dragons.

It isn't fun to drive around in the Nomad. Mainly since the only thing you really do is speed up and try to climb dunes or hills with the other drive. You can't really drive over enemies, you can't shoot anything with it and you don't have any particular equipment on it to make it worth taking beyond the artificial environment effects that give you a hit to life support if you don't.

Missions and places vary massively in quality. One of my favorite places to visit was the husk of a broken planet, where gravity was a lot lower and all sound was muted due to a lack of atmosphere. It felt like that sort of place really evoked the feeling of exploration the game was going for, letting you drive around (which for once was fun!) and visit these little places where the environment wasn't going to kill you if you stepped outside. It had mostly flat surfaces, but sometimes deceived you into thinking places had bridges so suddenly you were jumping with thrusters on max trying to reach the other side before you fell, with your crew shouting SHIIIIIIIT as you went over.

And then you have the desert planet with scavengers that was boring to drive through, had no real fun quests and felt like a late release addition.

The crafting system works in some parts, and is entirely broken in others. Some mods straight up break guns and make them impossible to use to deal damage. Also, I reached over the level 20 limit for AVP points and seeing the points go into negative numbers raised a few eyebrows. I know it is a hard limit to force you to choose stuff, but it makes no sense from either a narrative or mechanic standpoint: Why wouldn't you want your players to keep playing for AVP to gain higher points and eventually unlock everything, making them feel accomplished?

Space exploration is awful and it is entirely to do with the actual flying between systems and planets. Actually it is also to do with there really not being most any real reason to explore other than to get experience, money and resources. You can't really find missions by exploring that you wouldn't find any other way. What also makes it awful is that each planet is just boring as hell, with very little text to describe them or make them interesting as was the case with Mass Effect 2, where you could easily find hints to future content or lore in the description to make stopping to examine the planet worth it. There are no secret missions to find and land for, almost nothing outside of scanning for things to grab. The set pieces for the backgrounds are amazing and probably some of the best in the series history but it doesn't matter because all they are are skyboxes with no effect on the game.

Having favorites is pointless because some skill builds are just better than others. Not having more than 3 active skills is a real hassle, but only because there is always one more skill that you feel could make each fight easier, but replacing one of the ones you have would break that strategy. Funnily enough switching favorites resets all your cooldowns and forces you to wait for them when you switch, but just switching a skill manually gives you a fresh skill recharge. Several times the Favorites and Assign skill buttons have sent me into the wrong menu when I'm trying to reset my skills after the game decided that I'm using my old setup after I die sometimes.

I'll just list a few nitpicks here before concluding: I've counted at least 15 different times when the game acts as if I haven't done some content or I'm in a different part of a quest and that isn't counting the times quests just bug out and won't let me finish them. The scanner is finicky and sometimes scans what it should but sometimes requires very precise pointing to get right. Havarl is awful to fight in because you can't see poo poo for the foliage or the waterfalls or the many, many stone structures. This would be a fun challenge if you had any particular way to solve this other than to hunker down and wait for enemies to come to you. Having the Nexus crews repeat stuff over, and over, and over, and over again when you walk through grates on you after a while.

Overall I probably won't replay the singleplayer, but keep playing multiplayer when the mood hits me. Because once again Multiplayer is the saving grace and quite fun as long as you get a good connection going and a good crew setup. Fast, kinetic and rewarding to try different builds.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

It isn't masturbation. Most people find the end goal of that rewarding.

On a serious note, it is just a great showcase of a section that did not need to be the way it is in any form.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

It is kind of funny how N7 armor goes from being really drat good to being one of the first and worst sets of armor you can get. But then I guess I was spoiled by angaran and heleus champion armor.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Wiseblood posted:

Do you get enough points to upgrade everything at that level?

I think I am at like level 62 at the moment, never having done a newgame+, and I've got pretty much the entire tech tree maxed out, with a couple of points into almost every gun skill under the soldier tree as well as Combat Fitness and a few points into Fitness. I'd say unless the point gain per level starts decreasing after 60 or something you should be able to max it all out at that level or get close enough to.

Edit: And to be honest you really don't need to hit more than level 80 anyway for the craftables. At this level I'm putting points into stuff because there's stuff to put points into, I never really use it. I have no reason to switch to biotics when I have tech maxed out and the only reason I put points into the soldier stuff is because it gives you more health and a few damage resistance abilities. Maybe there's some amazing Explorer bonus if you get points into every tree to that capacity but I kinda doubt it?

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 4, 2017

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

marshmallow creep posted:

I think that was the storeowner where the conversation was summed up as "Hi, what brought you to Andromeda?" "Hello. I'm transgender."

Yeah, that was the main problem with the conversation. You basically get the crux of their moving to Andromeda dropped on you with one inquiry for no real reason, especially considering this is like 800 years into the future or close to it and you're spending your days banging aliens, AIs and whatever else you happen to come across and it never gets brought up as strange or different. And I doubt most people would care if you are trans or not by that point, especially considering the advances in biotech that can just make the transition complete without most any kind of treatments if people are being brought back from the dead, cloned or just genetically altered all over the place.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I keep trying to figure out why the krogan were taken along if the arks were split up into racial slots by and large. Even with the more mixed crew of the Nexus, what with this being secretly backed by Cerberus you would think they would make sure not to bring along any group that would be most likely to push out the other species, especially humans.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Avalanche posted:

The scourage is a wall built to keep all the dirty milky way mexicans and reapers out. At the heart of it all is some obese diabetic alien with a blond hairpiece chanting "Build the wall! Build the wall sphere!". The Andromeda Initiative is the last of a bunch of of Syrian refuges that barely got through when the order was given to close the border.

Oh dear god, please don't tell me this is how the game loving ends and Bioware scrapped/rewrote the entire loving story in a month.

No but there is a distinct vibe of the AI being refugees looking for a home who set out to seek new lives and their fortunes. You constantly have to tell the angarans not to compare you with the evil criminals that came before you and you have to deal with angaran nationalists who are basically paraphrasing right-wing talking points. Which would hit home harder if you hadn't stolen a bunch of planets from them (in the case of Kadara and the krogan desert planet an actual occupation) and put down army depots on top of their actual sacred ground.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Chill Nazi Frog posted:

I wish Kesh's krog-grots were the first Initiative babies born in Heleus.

Well they would be if they weren't all eggs right now

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Well it does when the system works. I haven't heard if they fixed crafting in this patch.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

DrNutt posted:

Jesus Christ can't wait for the inevitable Rise of Cerberus DLC. Genuinely interested in the Jien Garson murder mystery though.

I was too. Too bad they left the resolution out of the only quest related to it!

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I've thought once or twice about playing the game again but then I realize the only reason I'd want to is to max out my levels. I don't think my choices will matter much in the scope of this game beyond some dialogue anyway.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

As a person who played DA2 to completion I can safely say it was the progenitor to this game. Terrible sidequests, mostly unlikeable characters, repetitive content.

But it had no multiplayer to redeem itself with.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The Angara Avenger was the first class I finally started having real fun with. Almost every upgrade path is a good one and it is just fun zipping around beating stuff like a vanguard and throwing explosives everywhere when that fails. Not to mention the area cloak works wonders when extracting. I can't go back to the Salarian Architect because it feels like I'm trying to play an entirely different game with way less power or abilities.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Cythereal posted:

There are people who don't modify coalesced to give infinite ammo and planet scanning rocks?

Personally I just make it so the freeze bomb thing never runs out of special ammo and call it a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Well one is pretty much confirmed at this point but I am a bit confused it has taken this long for any info on it. But I guess it is because we were inundated with it leading up to 2 and 3.