Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Yeah, a point that can be a huge what the gently caress is that all conflict resolution done previously is pretty much irrelevant for Andromeda, but the player perspective will probably be completely different from the characters.

But then again, since it is a reboot (even if they say it isn't), hopefully they can manage a whole new bunch of interesting takes on how the races get along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Don't go too far that way because it only ends in lots of speculation for everyone!!!

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Zaeed Massani was a glorious hammy over-the-top motherfucker with loving fantastic disruptor rounds, filthy heathens

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

edit: wrong thread lmao

dead gay comedy forums fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Nov 9, 2016

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

monster on a stick posted:

Welcome to the Mass Effect Andromeda thread

actually there is a very good reason why they went to Andromeda even without reapers

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

A place like Skyhold only works if you can fast travel anywhere or have a room where you can summon a character. Still, would be too drat big.

Also, yeah, another RPG contrivance full of poo poo: why the gently caress you have to go around to talk to everybody when you are the authority? Can't I just have a "tell X to meet me here ASAP" function? Come on devs you have or had bosses you know how it goes :v:

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Zore posted:

The first game was much worse, but The Witcher 3 is still real poo poo.

lmao

I just knew it that this thread would inevitably have a CDPR versus Bioware moment but come on

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Turns out the reapers were right all along

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Lt. Danger posted:

The question "Can you describe the Reaper cycle as 'to clear a crowded sky'?" is a [2] mark Understanding & Comprehension question and does not require 1600 semi-relevant words to answer.

You making this post is something extremely precious :v:

exquisite tea posted:

The only effortposts about ME3 worth reading end with a trip to Chipotle and a sacred promise to protect the legacy of Commander Shepard.

lmao

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

frajaq posted:

drat I had actually forgotten her entirely. ME3 was a mess

She is the IGN reporter insert, right?

Why the gently caress they allowed that to happen again?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

"Save the World" is pretty much Bioware Standard Practice™ - one of the most promising things of Andromeda (that might be totally shot down in flames by the looks of it) was that "the initiative is about being explorers and settlers", which would be actually novel and interesting for them to make.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I think a well-developed scenario in which Control is actually the viable winning condition would have been pretty interesting too. The Catalyst would have been something entirely different imho (perhaps an artifact from the leviathan planet) in which you could have a rad reaper infiltration mission to implement it costing you war assets and such.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

I look forward to this time next year when we are all extolling the cohesiveness and ambition of Mass Effect 3's story against Andromeda.

If Andromeda is a above average spaceshootymans I think a lot will be forgiven (as long as it doesn't try to be actively stupid like DA2)

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Just watched the Andromeda trailer and it looks like there is good spaceshooting to be done along a nice soundtrack (very similar to Behavior which is cool). Promising MP at least?

However the moment that it showed Ryder scanning and trailer voiceover guy saying "IT WILL BE CRITICAL FOR YOUR SUCCESS" aw come on. Also, the disarm interrupt was lmao

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Don't poke too hard or it will come crashing down.

I didn't care much for the backstory of ME but the whole "look at how much poo poo was done in like 20 years since first contact" and how it fits in comparison to the rest (Zaeed was a pretty good example) and ehhhh I think someone lost the pacing here Bioware :v:

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

All Mass Effect games from this point on will be set in different galaxies to escape the plots of their predecessors.

Betting :10bux: that somewhere along the next two games there will be a "return to the milky way" main questline/dlc

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah, except the ending of mass effect 3 could leave everyone dead or as weird cyber robots or with shepard as an immortal reaper swarm god. Going back to the milky way would require deciding a lot of twisting things around to show anything and pretty much never could fit with the possible universes the last game left with.

I was thinking myself that it would be much more likely that it would involve copious amounts of spacemagic - call it a dimensional rift or whatever - that sends people back to the milky way but a million years into the future which has nothing recognizable in it because of exactly the reasons you mentioned.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

The problem is that the Ryder children are too young and... Meh-ish? Son Ryder looks like a buffy the vampire slayer cameo - wait, that was the point, wasn't it? Girl Ryder seems more capable, but in a Dora the Explorer sort of way.

And yes, Shepard was based off a model, but the guy at least looked like he could have been in the navy for two or three years :v:

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

BexGu posted:

The more I think about it yeah that is kind of bothering me. Its becoming a little too anime where its a young person saving the world instead of the battle proven and experienced 30 year old saving the world.

Dragon Age was a warning after all. I thought Sera was one-off until I remembered Fenris.

SgtSteel91 posted:

That's what CC is for

Oh, for sure. It is only a "problem" in the sense of characterization, not in terms of appearance. (Though you may argue that extra 15 - 30 min creating your character can be bothersome but welp)

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

4000 replies holy gently caress forgot totally about this

I am seeing a lot of this thing called "hopeful feelings" currently in this thread, so, the hottest take must be made

journalists and previewers: would Shepard bang this game?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

marshmallow creep posted:

Shepard would bang Allers, so you betcha

dayum

Serf posted:

This all sounds fantastic. Though one part about the weight system contradicts what we'd heard earlier. I like the new system and want to carry more cool guns besides the lightest possible pistol.

Hopefully no weight system because come on going all the way in removing class restrictions to just slap a much sillier one with equipment

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

IMO, Sara looks much better in the latest material released than at first (though it may be just that I am getting used to her appearance). Boy Ryder still gives a bit of a cringe for some reason (maybe the fact that he looks like a coldplay cover band vocalist I dunno).

BUT of course the RPS preview said that the animations are a tad janky in their build, so I look forward for her face going spastic or something when she decides to do a :smug: or something

(or even better a :shepface:)

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Can we just go back to talking about how bad ME3 was? I'm not a fan of new things.

Bear with me here: what if Andromeda is... also bad?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Witcher 3 is so good that I'll be naming the girl Yen Ryder in its homage

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Drifter posted:

Man, there's nothing worse than it's sad when girls get that flabby tricep area, like Jesus, do a god drat push-up or three now and again.

That's the main reason I did those pull-up challenges in ME3 with James - didn't want my Shepard getting flabby. :eng101:

welp god drat this is a True Goon Award post

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Baron Corbyn posted:

I want to gently caress a planet

if you don't name your Ryder Lo and not blast backstreet freestyle all day in the nomad I don't even

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

DrNutt posted:

God drat Scott Ryder is a goob

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

You can change them from the default, but you lose the Scott/Sara if you do and everyone just calls you Ryder or Pathfinder.

It's a neat touch for folks who don't mind the default names.

deffo a bonus

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

lol me I thought the asari was drooling on that gif

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

I guess for me part of why I liked Shepard or Geralt so much was because you already start at the level of "competent and seasoned". I mean I'm sure it'll be fine, I just like how he looks more.

Which makes a lot of the stuff you are trying to pull more in-tune with the character archetype they are going. As one poster said before, it would be really interesting if Bioware could actually capitalize on the protagonists inexperience not just in the practical matters of the mission, but at life. A sci-fi coming-of-age exploration/rpg game has a lot of awesome avenues of development and a waterfall of interesting stuff to work with, which would be Cool and Good.

But being Bioware, expect thousands of in-jokes, a tumblresque "lolrandom" character, ryderkids being Mary Sue characters with miraculous competence and tremendous amounts of hilarious cringe, such as, for example, when the DA:I cast breaks into song after an obvious Act I reversal of fortune:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgYxMVRtJr4

(Dragon Age should have been planned as a musical from the get-go)

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

The song was one of the best moments in Inquisition though.

welp it had the opposite effect than the intended for me :v: I laughed hard on that scene exactly because I thought "Dragon Age would make a great Disney musical".

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I think that the slightly stylized look may be the one to blame here, no? Like someone else said before, some characters like male Ryder look like they come from a Dreamworks production. It isn't realistic enough to go "gee they should really have worked more on that aspect" but just so to put these uncanny reactions.

And that Cora comparison yeah, it doesn't make any favors to them lol

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

Cora, probably. Initially hostile, learn to co-operate, leads to sexual tension, etc., etc.

how come Bioware never fully goes beyond this poo poo

On the top of my head: Aribeth from NWN, Miranda, Jack, Cassandra, Morrigan, Bastila, Ashley, Isabella, Samara...

...Counterpart is the "fawns all over yourself", which again, from the top of my head: Aribeth (again), Liara, Leliana, Tali, Kelly Chambers (the psychologist from ME2), Morinth (possible subversion though), etc

The most well adjusted are Chakwas, Josephine and Vivienne, so I guess they are going in the right direction after all these years?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Drifter posted:

If you ask me Bioware really fudged up by not giving us more Ziggy Stardust-era David Bowie hairstyles in our exploration cum military extragalactic repopulation program.

Completely agreed

In fact I wouldn't mind at all a David Bowie Starman as galactic god/superancestor that we end up meeting because special protagonist reasons

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

So I just read the other character descriptions for the first time and that Cora (aka undercut polemics girl) was supposed to be pathfinder?

quote:

After a career in the Alliance military, she served with Talein's Daughters, an Asari commando unit, as part of a Council inter-species integration scheme. She is second-in-command of the human Pathfinder team and Alec Ryder's appointed successor, so it's a little odd that one of the Ryder kids gets the Pathfinder job instead of her.

So if you play as guyRyder not only she loses the job (NEPOTISM) but he gets to romance her too?

guddamn suave, tiny

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

No joke, I didn't expect that the mainstay (and possible very good reason of purchase) of a Bioware game would be the multiplayer of all things

Yet I got far more mileage from that in ME3, so yay for that in Andromeda too

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Angara are basically space puppy aliens, right?

if there is no "GTFO and bring me the krogan" reaction I will be disappointed :(

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Drone Jett posted:

Yeah, I'd get mad if she was too feminine looking.

well hello there

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

jfood posted:

The social implications of Krogan foreplay and Asair matriarchs you'd like to gently caress... you people have way too much loving time on your hands.

Is there a weapons list out yet? I wanna see if that Salarian shotgun/grenade launcher is making a comeback.

It is repeatedly warned, time and time again: Mass Effect is... bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Spikeguy posted:

The goal more seems to be reaching an understanding with each other on where you stand

The Last Wish is such a great quest exactly because of that. I really liked how the game misleads you into assuming Geralt's prejudice (what in the gently caress that woman is going to do with a powerful genie?) and then it is :3: