Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Hot diggity! :dance:

Oh. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Bioware had better finally let me have a space hamster party member, or no sale.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Humerus posted:

It's been a while since I played any ME game, but wasn't it implied that the Reapers went from galaxy to galaxy shaping the civilizations for their use? And what if the Nexus/Arks arrive just in time for the first Reaper to show up just like in ME1?
The Reapers came from the Milky Way Galaxy and, as far as we know, have stayed there. Or maybe not! Who knows?

quote:

Sort of speaking-of, how are we traveling within the Andromeda galaxy? Are there Mass Relays there, and if so, wouldn't that point directly to Reaper interference?
They seem to have picked out a patch of Andromeda that's particularly well-suited for life. If it's close enough together, regular old warp drives might work. Otherwise, yeah, just make up some excuse for having portable mass relays or wormholes or whatever.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Mymla posted:

Sweet, it's mass effect: skyrim

I am okay with this.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

AngryBooch posted:

It's been reported there is no paragon or renegade spectrum. I think it was reported the dialogue is more like Dragon Age Inquisition. Different tones you can use that effect personal relationships rather than your own character skills.

That AMA said it reminded him of Alpha Protocol. Four choices of "mood" when you respond. Head, heart, professional, casual.

By the way, I guess it speaks well for Bioware's hopes if an AMA with a game reporter watching a demo still gets people hyped.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Steve2911 posted:

Inquisition is an ok game crammed into a terrible one. I really, really don't want that for Mass Effect.

I mostly hope I don't have to hold down the right mouse button for the entire game like in Inquisition.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Why was he in ME3? I played through the whole series and some culturally confused Chinese cyborg ninja who got his rear end handed to him by a dying Drell really didn't add much to the story.

I'm really looking forward to the half dozen characters we meet in Andromeda and say, "Oh poo poo, you're Fartknocker McGee?!?! Everyone who read the tie-in novels knows about you!"

marshmallow creep posted:

You can pursue multiple intimate relationships. Some might not like that. As you'd expect. Others may say they don't care. But, don't they?

"I-It's not like I wanted you to wax my ovipositor!" the space slug squelches nervously. :can:

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Kibayasu posted:

Something, probably the codex, also mentions that because of the whole Reaper tech thing Cerberus soldiers are super soldiers or something so they can totally overwhelm a force many times their size.

Until the multiplayer teams arrive. :getin:

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

precision posted:

I'm not saying that isn't true, I'm just saying who cares as long as it ends up good and that having weirdo races does literally nothing to increase or decrease the odds of the game being good. The ME series and Bioware in general are things that are expected to have a massive fan base. They stopped playing 2 hour long drunken sets in bars over a decade ago.

I think that GameInformer article stumbles by:
1. Saying "here's the new alien race in Andromeda!" and implying there aren't a half dozen other weird new aliens
2. Showing off a bunch of crazy designs and then saying, "Oh, but actually it is Rock Head Man."

Just do neither of those, show off the final version of the alien, and leave the rest for the art book. Maybe show off those flying bug aliens from the trailer or something.

Two hours into ME1, you could meet elcor, volus, hanar, asari, salarians, turians, quarians, maybe krogan? Oh, and the Keepers. If ME:A has the same depth, it'll be fine, but they keep talking about how you're a human on the human ship going to human world, and also there's a spunky asari sidekick. If it's an exploration game about the unknown, sell people on all the mysterious new stuff they'll find, not on the old stuff from three games ago.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Illiterate Clitoris posted:

I am currently stuck somewhere in the middle of it. As I was with Mars: War Logs. As I was with Bound By Flame.
I don't know exactly what it is that these games are doing wrong. On paper they are more or less exactly like you would imagine a B-movie version of a the Bioware formula. But somehow they're a lot less engaging.

For me, it was my lightning wizard getting repeatedly beat up by every hobo on Mars.

Pattonesque posted:

also remember the Kett aren't the only new aliens in this game

Yeah, like I said, I think that's the real problem here. Every gaming news site pitched them as:

Maybe they have 800 millionty new aliens, but if you say, "here's the ONE NEW ALIEN," it's not surprising people will get the wrong impression.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Nevets posted:

Why wouldn't somebody alert the colony fleet that their home civilization is being destroyed and recall them?
By the time the Reapers attack, it makes more sense to let the colony ships escape. At least someone might survive.

quote:

Surely the giant hub ship has got to have tons of weapons, they wouldn't send it into an alien galaxy without as much firepower as possible in case they found a hostile species.
They're armed with a mountain of Avengers and Predators.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Zzulu posted:

I hope we come across a lost reaper who was shunned from his reaper friends who is all friendly and helpful

I hope i can keep it in an aquarium in my quarters.

I'll get everyone else on board to come around and tap on the glass really loudly.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Levantine posted:

I'm digging back into ME3 multiplayer on PC after a few years away. There's a lot of new content but my question is, how should I spend my credits starting out? Should I just buy a bunch of recruit packs or should I work on the higher tier boxes?

Start out with Recruit packs until you max out the cheap guns. That way, you aren't wasting tons of spacebux on common weapons. After that, you can buy whatever.

You don't get the rare weapons/kits from Recruit Packs, and obviously those are the ones you want, but they're waaaaay cheaper than the others.

marktheando posted:

That's basically it. You ran into a bunch of their failed mad science experiments where they let Rachni loose and got all their guys killed. Which is why even in my most evil ME2 play through I didn't trust them to be competent enough to handle the collector base.

They also murdered an admiral who found out about their dumb experiments.

FronzelNeekburm fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Nov 20, 2016

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Little Bitch Man posted:

Are the conversation options gonna be just 'Be an rear end in a top hat' or 'Be nice' again?

I remember in ME3, having to watch Tali kill herself because I was too neutral to unlock the conversational options to prevent that.

Mass Effect: Andromeda Does Away with Paragon and Renegade Dialogue Choices

quote:

Instead, Andromeda will apparently adopt a more traditional role-playing stance, allowing you to choose from a number of different reactions in any given situation. Dialogue options supposedly include head, heart, professional, and casual responses.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

SgtSteel91 posted:

Highlights include our pilot being a Salarian and possibly collecting rocks.

Why would you make a guy who dies at age 40 the pilot on your 600-year voyage?

quote:

One of the most conspicuous objects in the galley is a holographic interface that allows Ryder to modify skill-point distribution, which is how you change your abilities between missions.

Huh. Guess they weren't kidding about being able to re-class.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Chomp8645 posted:

They railroaded people into that choice. Now yeah being in the military doesn't exclude being a engineer or Abused Psyker Experiment but all that poo poo sets a certain tone. Especially seeing as you are the captain of the ship, a role to which a combat officer type role feels perfectly natural, but not so much a techie or pariah-lite-psychic.

On the other hand, it's a rare treat when someone picks an Adept in multiplayer and doesn't have a sniper rifle and an assault rifle equipped.

Some people just refuse to do anything but shoot guns.

Nevets posted:

Have we ever had a mainstream scifi universe that didn't include a sexy alien species whose defining characteristic was being promiscuous/prostitutes/sex slaves/sybarites?

Asimov will satisfy all your too-boring-for-sex sci-fi needs.

This might be useful.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Pattonesque posted:

3. You find clues about what happened to the other arks. For instance, as you locate asari escape pods, you learn more about what happened to them and their ark, and that thread is eventually resolved in a mission.

All the other arks blew up and left us alone in the galaxy, didn't they?

quote:

22. You don’t have to start New Game+ after finishing the game. You can just keep exploring once the final mission is complete.

Not having to obsessively finish side quests before doing any main story is nice, but after Skyrim, this translates to, "You'll want to stop playing after the story ends" for me.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Zzulu posted:

I want a harem. Why are they limiting me to porking one space alien? Why can't I pork all the crew on my ship. Why can't they all be my waifus

In the new game, not only will get you get to do this, but you'll be required to play Jacob's dad's mission from the other side.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

no bones about it posted:

I want to have a Hanar squidmate.

Fixed.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Alain Post posted:

It had good points, and bad points imo

Pick one or the other so you don't get locked out of conversations.

Trast posted:

How about something for the little lady in this number that warps through walls and tosses poisoned spikes that explode!

I hope they've improved the netcode as well. I never once got Cabal to work right off-host.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

exquisite tea posted:

The whole thing came off like a dewritos-level infiltration of gaming journalism with gaming product. It didn't fit the story and her character model was the stuff of nightmares. Should have been Emily.

Also her voice acting was subpar.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Because they killed off Emily Wong in a twitter update.

RIP the Raloi.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

OxMan posted:

And like years later it's still this event that has dominated the thread and people are still mad about it and it's like dude didn't you play the multi tho?!?!?

Classic multiplayer storytelling like "you didn't kill enough banshees, so now the wave you don't play is longer"

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I'm actually okay with this, mainly because the combat in ME has always been way more fun than in any dragon age game. The problem with having MMO style combat in MMO mechanics land is suddenly you're just playing a lovely single player mmo. It honestly reminded me more of borderlands than anything else from the little bit we saw, just without the bullet sponge problem.

The combat could be fine, but that Brute-looking thing was taking a lot of hits before sync-killing Ryder.

comatose posted:

That bugged me as well. "Yo, we're totally taking the series to a new location so we can do what we want!" Base full of krogans, humans, turians, etc.

That said, are these guys Kett? They looked more lanky and sharp-edged in the reveal video.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Kurtofan posted:

really hope they fix those dialogue animations, felt very unnatural

Could be worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkAlRy50FR4

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

It's pretty cool and a testament to the diversity of our species (oh hey that's another plot thread that ME3 discarded completely)
TBQH I'm tired of fantasy universes where every other species is 100% identical all the time except humans, who are special because of diversity/adaptability.

Moola posted:

how does she look worse than femshep from me3?

let alone the character models in DAI

Well, she looks better than custom Femshep faces from ME3, at least.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

BrianWilly posted:

New Andromeda Initiative video.

Really comprehensive info on the Arks and the Nexus. Very reminiscent of the Citadel in most ways, to be honest...but lore stuff like this gets me more excited than a dozen NEW poo poo trailers.

Hm, one thing about that video. The pop-up slides mention that the Nexus Superintendent is a female Krogan. I know there were some "what about the genophage?" questions here, and those seem like they'll be even more important now.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Drifter posted:

Not really. I'm sure it's just a WOrthing Saga type of deal, where one week every five or fifteen years they wake up the lady Krogan from cryogenic slumber and let her do some administrative work and then back she goes into cryo sleep. She won't die for quite some time at that rate.

I'm not talking about her lifespan, but the fact that the genophage isn't cured when the arks leave. Female krogans were still sequestered on Tuchanka to keep them safe. I wonder if they are going to reconsider that for the krogans in Andromeda (who may or may not have their own ark?).

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Kurtofan posted:

what kind of alien in this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOP5PBIghhc

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Digirat posted:

Have they shown any multiplayer gameplay yet because that's all I really care about.

No. There's a beta stress test application in the OP if you have a PS4 or Xbone.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Ainsley McTree posted:

I hope that in andromeda they call you captain. Seems wrong to run a ship and not get called captain. Only the quarians got it right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyZw_oqk7Q8&t=37s

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

exquisite tea posted:

Something that Dragon Age got right for speech checks that Mass Effect didn't was eventually coding all of them with icons to give you a general sense of where the conversation was headed. Not only did it give you a clearer picture of what the response would be, but it made it feel like every dialogue option was "special," because who wouldn't take the glowing red/blue option over the normals if it was available to you?

That appears to be where they're going now with Andromeda:

Arcsquad12 posted:

The paragon/renegade system was really bad and I think Bioware needs to stop doing binary morality systems.

Mass Effect: Andromeda Does Away with Paragon and Renegade Dialogue Choices

Olanphonia posted:

How many loving pages is this thread going to go through before the game is actually released?

Remake the thread spiral diagram with just The Ends Were Bad -> No, The Game Was Bad -> Actually All Of Mass Effect Is Bad -> repeat.

Although at least the shitpost brigade seems to have gotten bored for now.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Mazerunner posted:

I'm the "Shadow Broker" dlc on pc that is literally just an empty 1.5gb file of 000

Every Fallout 3 DLC was also broken in some similar way. Really glad to see Microsoft trying to get back into the online game store business.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

marshmallow creep posted:

• SAM is "broader" than EDI and supposed to be a "permanent part of your character." This raises questions because AI were illegal as hell which is why EDI was made by a criminal organization, but SAM is just...part of you. Did the effects of Synthesis somehow reach Ryder in dark space? Are we going to be loading SAM into an anatomically correct android body and making out with him?

quote:

SAM handles a number of things as well as your vessel, and is connected to you permanently. It was also revealed that it was previously connected to your father Alec. According to Condominas SAM is “more of a partner than EDI was – you’re way closer emotionally to SAM.”

"Your father had better endurance in bed, Ryder."

quote:

• There was apparently a cut squadmate! I hadn't heard anything about this, but apparently they decided since this guy had the least content to him they would drop him as a squaddie entirely and use the resources to beef up the loyalty missions of other companions. They already bragged that the squadmate with the least amount of lines/content in this game has more of those than the squaddies with the most of either in ME3 (or DAI if I remember the quote right).
RIP Jenkins Jr.

quote:

• They believe they can have the game finished by a 'certain date' but don't want to pressure the team by telling anyone what it is.
Please be April 1st, and also please be 3rd Street Saints In Space.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
I can't wait for the loyalty mission where SAM asks you to help it hook up with Avina.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

exquisite tea posted:

The one I remember the most is Alistair glomming all over your female Warden for the entirety of the game if you were just nice to people in general. Bioware really wants you to have virtual sex with their characters.

Then if you butter him up, he turns into a whiny, useless douche and shows up in DA2 as a drunken lout.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

nerdz posted:

I'm actually forcing myself to keep going with ME3 and one thing I noticed is that all the minor alien species barely appear or get any missions. I think I'm halfway through the game and I just saw one of those quadrupeds for the first time, and it was a bystander NPC with no voice lines. Haven't seen a single Jellyfish alien either. God, this game.

The Elcor talk to you once to give you a mission. The Hanar show up once if you have Javik's DLC.

:(

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
I like that they were playing as "Defaultprofile Ryder."

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Popete posted:

I think we are quickly approaching Obsidian RPGs just turning into full blown dating simulators, it's increasingly becoming more of the focus with people legit getting angry if they can't e-bang some alien blob.

I'm not convinced there's any consequence to people's supposed dating-sim anger. It's a very easy way for developers to add "choices" that don't affect the story, so it gets thrown into every game, regardless of whether story-impacting choices make it in or not. Sure, someone is going to complain that they can't dote up a hanar, but the game stands or falls on the actual story's merits, and it's not like fans of Bioware-style RPGs have many other games to scratch that itch.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Inquisition was a pretty below average game that seems like it broke a lot of internet people's brain and made them play in the least fun way possible.

Like I get that if a game has a map marker there is a part of any gamer that wants to run to it, but people were bragging about being 40 hours in and still in the hinterland and people were just making the game a nightmare for themselves.

It doesn't help that Dragon Age 1 had at least one moment that cuts off old quests, so you never know if you have to play every side quest obsessively before doing the main story, or if it won't matter.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Rinkles posted:

Did DAI have controller support on the PC? World prefer to play this with a pad.

You pretty much had to play with controller because the KB+M controls were awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Kingtheninja posted:

I haven't followed the plot super close but isn't Andromeda a ways after Shepard time wise?

Yes, but they left the Milky Way sometime around ME2.